Discussions By Condition: Tongue conditions

Tongue Biting

Posted In: Tongue conditions 43 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • February 16, 2007
  • 09:25 PM

I can't stop biting my tongue. I think I do it because of stress or anxiety. I am on Effexor antidepressant medication. I have mentioned this to my doctor and dentist, but they don't offer any solutions. I keep thinking that I'm going to get cancer of the tongue.

Reply Flag this Discussion

43 Replies:

• for reasons which i will explain,i think you should show the doctor the damage,without delay.and see what he thinks.but this could be displaced dental aggression,consolidated into simple habit.use two treatments together.first get a fairly robust elastic band .put it on your wrist.ping it on the inner aspect of your wrist whenever you bite.it should sting a little,but torture is not required.do it immediately after the bite,and keep it private.think of an excuse to account for the presence of the elastic band.two,get some foods that need serious chewing and give your teeth the work they need.you may also like to consider who it is you really want to bite.it may be an erotically motivated bite or it may be anger,with an intention to wound or to kill----we are primitive things really.if the former you may be free to ask!if the latter,you must be a little creative in working it off.and say a little prayer of thanks for the law which is there to guide you!i also wonder if you are active and socially engaged enough.the thought also occurs that there may be something metaphorical going on.the body speaks its mind,often,in strange ways.is there something you want to say ,for instance,which you feel you must hold back?you may be going to have to come out and say it!cancer of the mouth is usually associated with smoking,but you shouldnt carry on like this anyway.it is not possible to discount this risk altogether.any small sore in the mouth which does not heal in a few days,or is of unknown origin,should be seen by a doctor without delay.it is a cancer which moves fast and which takes no prisoners.by the time it is bigger than the end of a pencil,it is already a severe emergency.you may be biting this area because your body knows instinctively that there is something there which does not belong to you.and of course if you are contusing an area,it would make a cancer diagnosis difficult to make,or to exclude.let me know how you get on.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 18, 2007
    • 10:05 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I can't stop biting my tongue, either :( I've just been chewing gum all day and I'm feeling a little better about it, but still, ahhh, it's driving me nuts!And, I'm on antidepressants, too. (Celexa)I wonder if that has anything to do with this...? Hmm...
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • I do the same thing! I bite my tongue but generally when I'm bored. I don't even realize I do it. There is never any damage, but I would like some ideas on how to stop. . . chewing gum gives me headaches - any other suggestions? Oh and I used to be on Celexa about two years ago. I have since been off, and I can't recall when I picked up this habit. Perhaps it was when I started taking Celexa too.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 5, 2007
    • 02:56 PM
    Flag this Response
  • My tongue constantly feels too big for my mouth. Along the sides of my mouth, it gets in the way of my teeth and thus it is constantly sore from biting. I find myself trying to tuck it out of the way. This is especially distracting when I am trying to sleep. I am on Effexor and Prozac. I also frequently take Advil PM or Tylenol PM to help me sleep.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 19, 2007
    • 02:56 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I bit my tongue about 5 years ago and the sore didn't heal weeks later. So, I went to an oral surgeon and he immediately operated on it. He not only cut my tongue where the sore existed but ended up cutting the opposite side of my tongue because the doctor "wanted to check if something was wrong" even though the opposite side did not hurt me. I had stitches from front to back of my tongue, on both sides and had to eat baby food for a week until the stitches were removed. Oh, and it is nearly impossible to talk with stitches on your tongue. The surgery was horrific, the needles excruciating painful, even removing the stitches were horrible. The surgeon then instructed me to have my dentist file down my teeth that are too sharp, which I did. Now, years later, I again bit my tongue about a week ago, it is raw, hurts and does not seem to be healing. I read from a yahoo message board that a tablespoon of salt in a glass of warm water will help soothe the tongue. I dread going back to an oral surgeon but that is likely what I will have to do if the saltwater drink doesn't help. Just giving you feedback, not trying to scare you.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 26, 2007
    • 09:24 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have been tryn to stop biting my tongue for 3 years now. I am in intense pain. I dont even stop to think of what I am doing when I do it. Blood is on many of my clothes and I just want to stop. People are starting to notice the white scab acting stuff that TRYS to protect your tongue, but always fails. I am only 13. HELP ME!!!!!!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 7, 2009
    • 10:38 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I can sure understand what DeanNewRochelleNY means about the pain of having your tongue cut on, I had the exact same thing happen to me, tests came back Neg. thank God. I to am on an anti anxiety meds but for me I know it is stress related. My brother in law just passed away and my tongue feels like I have chewed it off, I am afraid to go back to the doctor as I do not want to go through that pain again, I have tried a mouth guard but I could not sleep with that in my mouth, I have been looking for something to put on my tongue at night to see if that helps. I also think that my tongue biting has become habit when I get stressed out. Funny thing for me is I am lucky enough not to work, I live the life most would love to live and I am still stressed out go figure. From everything I have been reading I wonder if the anti anxiety meds have anything to do with what all of us have been writing about.My next step is to try and find a way to get off of xanax which I understand is not easy to doBest of luck to all of you and if anyone finds a tongue guard please post it here thanks donnalasetia@gmail.com
  • i do to bite my tounge. It gets very hard to stop sometimes i dont realize i do it either. Im constinatly doing it and cant stop i started butting a small piece of paper towel on my tounge so i dont feel my touunge it worked i stopped biting it, But that white stuff doesnt go away unless i bite it off. I dont want surgery but i want to figure out how to get that white stuff off with as little pain as possible and NO SURGERY.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 18, 2009
    • 05:26 PM
    Flag this Response
  • for reasons which i will explain,i think you should show the doctor the damage,without delay.and see what he thinks.but this could be displaced dental aggression,consolidated into simple habit.use two treatments together.first get a fairly robust elastic band .put it on your wrist.ping it on the inner aspect of your wrist whenever you bite.it should sting a little,but torture is not required.do it immediately after the bite,and keep it private.think of an excuse to account for the presence of the elastic band.two,get some foods that need serious chewing and give your teeth the work they need.you may also like to consider who it is you really want to bite.it may be an erotically motivated bite or it may be anger,with an intention to wound or to kill----we are primitive things really.if the former you may be free to ask!if the latter,you must be a little creative in working it off.and say a little prayer of thanks for the law which is there to guide you!i also wonder if you are active and socially engaged enough.the thought also occurs that there may be something metaphorical going on.the body speaks its mind,often,in strange ways.is there something you want to say ,for instance,which you feel you must hold back?you may be going to have to come out and say it!cancer of the mouth is usually associated with smoking,but you shouldnt carry on like this anyway.it is not possible to discount this risk altogether.any small sore in the mouth which does not heal in a few days,or is of unknown origin,should be seen by a doctor without delay.it is a cancer which moves fast and which takes no prisoners.by the time it is bigger than the end of a pencil,it is already a severe emergency.you may be biting this area because your body knows instinctively that there is something there which does not belong to you.and of course if you are contusing an area,it would make a cancer diagnosis difficult to make,or to exclude.let me know how you get on.WOW.... First off, I thought I was the only person that did this.... so this thread sure helped me ... the person that said this, I'm going to try it out.... I usually bite my tongue, like the tip of it, until it sores up or bleeds.... I do this when I am thinking a lot, about anything... but i don't do it when there are people cause it's disgusting.... WELL, I also smoke too, so I'm deep crap I think... I will try the rubber band thing though... thanks dudes
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 20, 2009
    • 06:38 AM
    Flag this Response
  • for reasons which i will explain,i think you should show the doctor the damage,without delay.and see what he thinks.but this could be displaced dental aggression,consolidated into simple habit.use two treatments together.first get a fairly robust elastic band .put it on your wrist.ping it on the inner aspect of your wrist whenever you bite.it should sting a little,but torture is not required.do it immediately after the bite,and keep it private.think of an excuse to account for the presence of the elastic band.two,get some foods that need serious chewing and give your teeth the work they need.you may also like to consider who it is you really want to bite.it may be an erotically motivated bite or it may be anger,with an intention to wound or to kill----we are primitive things really.if the former you may be free to ask!if the latter,you must be a little creative in working it off.and say a little prayer of thanks for the law which is there to guide you!i also wonder if you are active and socially engaged enough.the thought also occurs that there may be something metaphorical going on.the body speaks its mind,often,in strange ways.is there something you want to say ,for instance,which you feel you must hold back?you may be going to have to come out and say it!cancer of the mouth is usually associated with smoking,but you shouldnt carry on like this anyway.it is not possible to discount this risk altogether.any small sore in the mouth which does not heal in a few days,or is of unknown origin,should be seen by a doctor without delay.it is a cancer which moves fast and which takes no prisoners.by the time it is bigger than the end of a pencil,it is already a severe emergency.you may be biting this area because your body knows instinctively that there is something there which does not belong to you.and of course if you are contusing an area,it would make a cancer diagnosis difficult to make,or to exclude.let me know how you get on.First off, I'm 24 male and I feel a little better knowing I'm not the only one that does does.... my freakin' tongue bleeds and slightly swells up on the right side, which is the side that I constantly bite...I'm also a college student and I've noticed that this usually happens during the end of the quarter when finals are coming up, which leads me to believe that it's caused by some kind of stress or anxiety. This stupid problem that I have lowers my self esteem with women because I feel like an animal eating my own tongue and I am afraid people will think I'm some kind of psycho if they find out that I do this. The reason that I replied to the above comment is because the rubber band idea really helps. Also, it only takes one decision to stop biting your tongue, so be consciously aware when it happens and just FREAKIN' STOP! :D
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 23, 2009
    • 06:04 AM
    Flag this Response
  • You can bite your tongue if you're having a seizure (Mainly for epileptic patients like myself). Having said that, there are occasions when the brain discharges some electrons (Not a full seizure) that leads to a twitch. And if the jaw is twitched, you can bite your tongue.This is not common with everyone. It mainly affects epileptic patients.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 7, 2010
    • 04:09 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• My tongue constantly feels too big for my mouth. Along the sides of my mouth, it gets in the way of my teeth and thus it is constantly sore from biting. I find myself trying to tuck it out of the way. This is especially distracting when I am trying to sleep. I am on Effexor and Prozac. I also frequently take Advil PM or Tylenol PM to help me sleep. ^^ My goodness. I could have written the post. . . to a "T" myself. The tongue feels to big for the mouth... Always in the way on (luckily?) one side of the mouth. I also started taking Effexor... right around the time thiss issue started. I always assumed stress has something to do with it as well.Im also a (apparently) LOUD teeth grinder.. A guard at night helps the teeth a lot and a little relief on the tonge. However, I work on the telephone all day long and whenever I find m yself speaking with a customer, I find my tonge rubbing right up against the same two upper teeth
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 13, 2010
    • 04:45 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi everyone,Firstly i'm glad to have found this thread as like a lot of you, have felt alone in this quiet torture.I have been biting my tongue since my early teens. Now i'm mid 20s. It's terrible.. but it's also compulsive. I do it without realizing... and even when i do realize.. it's hard to stop. It feels like a part of me does like to bite my tongue, to chew it down and for it to hurt. I dont know why,... but why else would i do it and not stop?I'm not on any drugs.. and have no known psychological disorders, except for the fact i had ADD as a child (but who didn't?).Sometimes, i find myself staring off into space and chewing the ***l out of my tongue. Like it takes over. I do it in public too but try to conceal it. Sometimes i feel at the mercy of my habit and fight myself to stop.I feel socially embarrassed about my tongue... as it usually has scabs (the white stuff) all over it. AN IMPORTANT NOTE TO ALL OF YOU: the white stuff is just scabs! It forms over the damaged area to repair. I know it's hard.... but try and NOT bite the white stuff off. It's actually white blood cells trying to heal infections.Also eating salty or spicy food hurts.. literally stings.Anyways, i do have some addiction problems... nothing too crazy.. but i'm quitting smoking and drinking.. which has escalated my biting habit. It MUST be a stress related habit. Anyways, i just wanted to let you guys know that you're not alone and that this is a problem for me too. I tried chewing gum.... but i will literally chew around it and get to my tongue anyways. It's bad. I want to stop... but how can i when i do it almost subconsciously?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 17, 2010
    • 05:36 AM
    Flag this Response
  • for reasons which i will explain,i think you should show the doctor the damage,without delay.and see what he thinks.but this could be displaced dental aggression,consolidated into simple habit.use two treatments together.first get a fairly robust elastic band .put it on your wrist.ping it on the inner aspect of your wrist whenever you bite.it should sting a little,but torture is not required.do it immediately after the bite,and keep it private.think of an excuse to account for the presence of the elastic band.two,get some foods that need serious chewing and give your teeth the work they need.you may also like to consider who it is you really want to bite.it may be an erotically motivated bite or it may be anger,with an intention to wound or to kill----we are primitive things really.if the former you may be free to ask!if the latter,you must be a little creative in working it off.and say a little prayer of thanks for the law which is there to guide you!i also wonder if you are active and socially engaged enough.the thought also occurs that there may be something metaphorical going on.the body speaks its mind,often,in strange ways.is there something you want to say ,for instance,which you feel you must hold back?you may be going to have to come out and say it!cancer of the mouth is usually associated with smoking,but you shouldnt carry on like this anyway.it is not possible to discount this risk altogether.any small sore in the mouth which does not heal in a few days,or is of unknown origin,should be seen by a doctor without delay.it is a cancer which moves fast and which takes no prisoners.by the time it is bigger than the end of a pencil,it is already a severe emergency.you may be biting this area because your body knows instinctively that there is something there which does not belong to you.and of course if you are contusing an area,it would make a cancer diagnosis difficult to make,or to exclude.let me know how you get on.I am looking currently on information about the subject seeing as I have no insurance. I agree with this reasoning and this has been what I have been thinking as well. I bite my tongue consistently through the day, especially when I am writing/typing or reading. I do feel like some of it is tension. HOWEVER. I did find on the net a great deal of info that indicated that could be a result of seizures. I have been known to have "spells"/vasovegal syncope (spell?)...occasions where I pass out for no reason what so ever...or so we think.I do think it COULD be psychological but....I suggest going to a qualified physician if you really want to figure it out if its bothering you like it is me. I do sometimes wonder if I have been misdiagnosed considering my past medical history but psychological depression/ocd/introverted tendencies probably add to the stress. Perhaps consider any neck tension. How are you sleeping? What is your bed/pillow/sleep like? Do you have knots in your back or neck? Swollen lymph nodes? Dizzy Spells? I would also appreciate more qualified information on this topic so if anyone knows anything thank you!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 20, 2010
    • 02:57 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi everyone,Firstly i'm glad to have found this thread as like a lot of you, have felt alone in this quiet torture.I have been biting my tongue since my early teens. Now i'm mid 20s. It's terrible.. but it's also compulsive. I do it without realizing... and even when i do realize.. it's hard to stop. It feels like a part of me does like to bite my tongue, to chew it down and for it to hurt. I dont know why,... but why else would i do it and not stop?I'm not on any drugs.. and have no known psychological disorders, except for the fact i had ADD as a child (but who didn't?).Sometimes, i find myself staring off into space and chewing the ***l out of my tongue. Like it takes over. I do it in public too but try to conceal it. Sometimes i feel at the mercy of my habit and fight myself to stop.I feel socially embarrassed about my tongue... as it usually has scabs (the white stuff) all over it. AN IMPORTANT NOTE TO ALL OF YOU: the white stuff is just scabs! It forms over the damaged area to repair. I know it's hard.... but try and NOT bite the white stuff off. It's actually white blood cells trying to heal infections.Also eating salty or spicy food hurts.. literally stings.Anyways, i do have some addiction problems... nothing too crazy.. but i'm quitting smoking and drinking.. which has escalated my biting habit. It MUST be a stress related habit. Anyways, i just wanted to let you guys know that you're not alone and that this is a problem for me too. I tried chewing gum.... but i will literally chew around it and get to my tongue anyways. It's bad. I want to stop... but how can i when i do it almost subconsciously?Absolutely the BEST info I've come across on the subject. I've been biting my tongue for years to nobodys knoweldge. The white stuff scared the ***l outta me, and I tried removing it, only to realize it's my body trying to heal itself. Good luck to you and your quest to quit this horrible/annoying and frustrating habit. Thank you for advising the rest of us!
  • WOW.... First off, I thought I was the only person that did this.... so this thread sure helped me ... the person that said this, I'm going to try it out.... I usually bite my tongue, like the tip of it, until it sores up or bleeds.... I do this when I am thinking a lot, about anything... but i don't do it when there are people cause it's disgusting.... WELL, I also smoke too, so I'm deep crap I think... I will try the rubber band thing though... thanks dudeswow... i thought i was the only one too!!! I've also talked to a few doc's and dentists, they told me to stop (10 years ago) and it's just the hardest thing to stop doing!!! i used to smoke ALOT and now only have a few a day... I should really stop since open wounds all over my mouth and cig smoke lingering in there so often is a lethal combination... Thanks to the guy with the elastic band treatment, I'm going to start doing this ASAP, hopefully it helps.wanted to say: I also do this when I am thinking hard. Or stressed. even now as i think hard about what exactly makes me bite my tongue/mouth, I bite more. But sometimes it seems its out of boredom. other times I am trying to level out the surface of my cheek by clearing the damaged tissue and I end up with a big mess and blood and pain... also on my tongue i will try to remove the one taste bud that is standing out from the rest, or to remove the scar tissue from yesterday's bites.... always ends up making it worse....This leads me to think that through power of mind, it could be stopped. By slowly lessening the amount of damage on the tongue there would be less pains/reminders to bite (in my case anyway) and it would be easier to stop due to this... hmmmm... Thanks again for the elastic band idea. And thanks to everyone who posted that they are "biters" lol, cuz i thought i was the only one who chews their tongue :D
  • My tongue constantly feels too big for my mouth. Along the sides of my mouth, it gets in the way of my teeth and thus it is constantly sore from biting. I find myself trying to tuck it out of the way. This is especially distracting when I am trying to sleep. I am on Effexor and Prozac. I also frequently take Advil PM or Tylenol PM to help me sleep.I have the same feeling. I was at the dentist last week and he said my tongue and teeth are fine. It is STRESS. I don't realize that I am doing it. I wear a mouth guard at night for teeth clenching. Maybe I should wear all the time, except I have a front tooth that sticks out and it pooches my lip out. I think it will be a case of helping alleviate the stress (good luck, right) and paying attention. I used to clench my teeth during the day and broke myself of that habit.Good luck to both of us!
  • im only 16 and i keep myself up at night biting my toung and it so annoying! sunflower seeds seem to help though
  • I've been biting my tongue since I was really little. I have these big bumps on them, like masses of scar tissue from me biting the same place so much. I never stick my tongue out and kinda always worry about it when making out, lol. After reading about it online, I decided should probably have them looked at.)I used to bite it so hard I cried, and my mom would just tell me if I "didnt do anymore, it wouldn't hurt." I remember it just bleeding, and bleeding. I couldnt stop doing it, because even when I caught myself, I HAD to find the perfect spot and bite a piece off. I started to like the taste of blood when I was like 4, and started liking the pain some point after that. It turned into (or started as) a stress thing. If I got stressed or worried for any reason, I would bite a hole in my tongue. Then I started nibbling it while bored, watching tv, reading, or when I was thinking. Little nibbles would turn into little cuts, which I would bite at and turn into a big hole. Most the time, I couldn't eat without feeling some pain. I would try extra hard not bite it before Thanksgiving so I could actually enjoy it. One year I failed momentously, and it sucked. lol I still do it regularly...but it's not as extreme as it use to be, I tend to take a lot of tiny little bites that I can barely feel(but it's causing some of my teeth to wear funny), and only draw blood every once in a while. Recently, I have been more conscious about it, and it's definitly helped...but sometimes it feels worth it and I let myself go for it.
  • I myself have been biting my tongue for a very long time (10 years or more).It started when I was chewing the inside of my cheek, then progressed to my tongue.I started biting the middle of my tongue, got it pierced, and havent biten there since.My issue is now along the front edge of my tongue.I find that this is brought on by anxiety and stress. Unlike a lot of people I've read on here, I have never had medication to do with anxiety or depression.I usually try to use chewing gum or bubble gum as a guard over my tongue through the day, and sleep with my tongue hanging out of my mouth when i sleep (sounds bad but it has helped a great deal).
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 27, 2010
    • 06:15 AM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement