Discussions By Condition: Gastrointestinal conditions

Constant urge for bowel movement

Posted In: Gastrointestinal conditions 14 Replies
  • Posted By: sahaj01
  • February 16, 2007
  • 02:20 AM

I am new to the forum and had a few symptoms to share expecting some pointers.

For the past 1 week or so, I am having constant urge for bowel movements. The pressure does not seem to come from the stomach or the intestine, but seems to be in the rectum. The feeling is like there is constantly a residue even after BMs. I am having to visit the toilet about 3-4 times a day. Feels good after the BM and the feeling starts to build up gradually.

Past couple of days I am experiencing lower back pain too, especially when I am in the sitting position. My PCP gave me Miralax and am having for the past 3 days. Symptoms are slightly better (could even be psychological!)

I am a vegetarian, don't smoke or don't consume alcohol.

What could this be? Does the lower back pain have anything to do with the constant urge to defecate? Any pointers will help. Thanks

Reply Flag this Discussion

14 Replies:

• I am new to the forum and had a few symptoms to share expecting some pointers. For the past 1 week or so, I am having constant urge for bowel movements. The pressure does not seem to come from the stomach or the intestine, but seems to be in the rectum. The feeling is like there is constantly a residue even after BMs. I am having to visit the toilet about 3-4 times a day. Feels good after the BM and the feeling starts to build up gradually. Past couple of days I am experiencing lower back pain too, especially when I am in the sitting position. My PCP gave me Miralax and am having for the past 3 days. Symptoms are slightly better (could even be psychological!) I am a vegetarian, don't smoke or don't consume alcohol. What could this be? Does the lower back pain have anything to do with the constant urge to defecate? Any pointers will help. ThanksI don't know what it is, but I have been experiencing the exact same symptoms for the past couple of weeks. I feel like I need to have a bowel movement constantly, and when I do it helps for a few minutes but soon I begin to feel the urge again. It is horrible and I don't know what to do about it.....
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 8, 2009
    • 10:54 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I don't know what it is, but I have been experiencing the exact same symptoms for the past couple of weeks. I feel like I need to have a bowel movement constantly, and when I do it helps for a few minutes but soon I begin to feel the urge again. It is horrible and I don't know what to do about it.....I know exactly how you feel. I've had the same problem for 2 YEARS. It started when I was 20 and never went away. Over time, its gotten worse. I go to the bathroom 6 times a day, and always feel bad. I also avoid alcohol/tobacco/drugs, I eat healthy, and I exercise regularly. I've tested negative for Crohn's, colitis, and colon cancer.The only hope I have is that I'm starting biofeedback therapy in a week. Supposedly it can help with this problem. I'm going 1x/week for 2 months. I'll post again if I get positive results.Good luck, and please let us know if you find something that makes you feel better.Nick
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 14, 2009
    • 05:24 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Sounds like IBS. I just started taking medicine for it and it is getting better but still have it occassionally. I was treated psycholically for 10 years for it as anxiety disorder but it just started getting better recently when taking medicine for IBS. Good luck I think anyone who knows what it is like knows it sucks.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 22, 2010
    • 05:56 PM
    Flag this Response
  • for over 3 weeks now i have been having the same symptoms. However the frequency of urges is about every 30 min to an hour. i am literally spending a total of a couple hours every day in the restroom. my symptoms wake me up at night. when i do go, it is either little to none or what feels like alot but really isn't. and its never solid like its supposed to be. also i did just test positive for lactose intollerance. i have changed my diet and my pcp gave me some meds which kinda work and i'm waiting on ultrasound results. can't wait to figure out whats wrong and get back to a normal life
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • For the past week I have had this urge to go about every ten-fifteen minutes. It keeps me up in the middle of the night and I have been able to get very little sleep. When I do go to the bathroom, hardly anything comes out, like specks. I have taken to eating nothing now. The urge to go feels like I am going to have a huge blowout. It is painful at times and I am quite miserable. I have no idea what to do.I went to the hospital and they said I had the flu. They also did bloodwork and a urine test and nothing came back from those. They prescribed me Ondansetron, but it seems to do nothing. I am wondering if it is something serious.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 13, 2010
    • 08:05 PM
    Flag this Response
  • For the past week I have had this urge to go about every ten-fifteen minutes. It keeps me up in the middle of the night and I have been able to get very little sleep. When I do go to the bathroom, hardly anything comes out, like specks. I have taken to eating nothing now. The urge to go feels like I am going to have a huge blowout. It is painful at times and I am quite miserable. I have no idea what to do.I went to the hospital and they said I had the flu. They also did bloodwork and a urine test and nothing came back from those. They prescribed me Ondansetron, but it seems to do nothing. I am wondering if it is something serious.Hey alli had the same problem. It lasted about a week, steadily getting worse. It's a horrible feeling and i was unable to do anything else. I tried laxatives prescribed by a doctor, but it didn't stop the urge to defecate. There was also mucus present when i *****d, which was very awkward and uncomfortable. I eventually tried a complete cleanse of the digestive system to try to flush out the problem. I used a yoga cleanse, which involves drinking warm, salt water until you are cleaned out completely. It is called Varisar dhauti or shankaprakshalana, and is followed by a special diet of rice and lentils. It is best to find a yoga teacher with experience of the cleanse, to advise and guide, as it can be harsh on the body if not done correctly. Six hours after the cleanse I was feeling better, the day after I felt completely better. Since then I've watched my diet, mostly brown rice and lentils, gradually introducing other food, and now feel like normal again, which is a huge relief.This worked for me, so I would recommend it but only with expert guidance.Hope this helps someone.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 31, 2010
    • 06:20 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Constant urge means, something wrong with your stomach its a type of constipationi had same many time as i am a sports man and when i am off from ground i have many a times have same diet habbit as during work out and i get myself caught in this situation.So the cure is simple drink at least 8 liters of water a day , if not working drink same amount but get it a little warmer drink in the morning empty stomach with ginger juice or indian gooseberry (aonla), will be fine in 2-3 daysyou can have gripe water in the morning with warm water that too curesit all happens due to climate change, eating habbits which result in lack of water in body - this is what i experianced, the best working remedyif pain is too much during bowels then surely contact doctor
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 10, 2010
    • 07:58 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I have the same exact problem, but mine didn't start until i started a new medicine anfter the doctors found i have PCOS. (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrom). I hate the problem because i am a teenager in highschool, and it is so emabarrising to have to be going to the bathroom so many times a day. I try to eat healthy but it doesn't work. Any suggestions?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 6, 2011
    • 05:21 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I am a 49 year old woman, and I have had something very similar to what all of you are talking about for the last decade. It has made my life ***l. Every single night, without fail, I will just barely be asleep for a couple of hours, and I will awaken with severe abdominal pain and a need to go, but often nothing will happen for hours, and I will never get back to sleep because of it, and the pain will not stop until I finally do go. Sometimes, I go pretty quickly and the pain will stop, but if I go back to sleep, during the day, it will start happening all over again in about 2-3 hours of being asleep. This is every single time I lay down to sleep, and I have been to all kinds of doctors, had colonoscopies, barium tests, CT Scans and just about every trashcan diagnosis has been given to me for what is wrong because nothing has been found, so they just use the catch-all diagnosis of IBS, but I know my body and I know that is not what is wrong. After suffering for so long and dealing with doctors who don't listen or look at my history and see what other things could be wrong, and fed up, I did some checking of my own history, since I had had several operations in my abdomen over several years, and in the past when I had 3 different lap-scope surgeries done, it was accidentally found that I had severe abdominal adhesions and as a result of these adhesions, had an obstructed bowel once and another time they found my bowels twisted, and that was corrected and I was better for a few years but they always came back and that is what I think has been wrong all this time. Getting doctors to listen and agree, that is another story, even with my history, they just don't seem to get it, but I finally found an OB/GYN who agrees that this could be why I feel like food is sticking in my colon and won't move. Others gave me diagnoses like colonic ischemia, or "lazy colon" like one doctor put it, but I am sure its the adhesions again because after the last lap-scope, this started and got much worse than ever, and I had been under for an Endometrial Ablation, and complications from that surgery may have burned my bowels or created more scar tissues and my intestines might be sticking together or sticking to some other organ. Exploratory surgery is scheduled to finally see what this is, but if it was adhesions, they will just come back after about 2-3 years.All the ladies in here with similar problems, if you have ever had abdominal surgery, GYN surgery or any kind of infection of the abdomen, you may very well be suffering from adhesions like I have most of my life and they will make you feel like you have to go but can't, not feeling like you are completely empty when you do go is another symptom and of course, the excruciating pain, so you might ask your OB/GYN for help, they tend to listen better than Gastro docs and they tend not to give out the "trashcan" diagnosis of "IBS", so I hope this helps some of you.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 8, 2011
    • 06:08 PM
    Flag this Response
  • unfortunately, I don't have any pointers and/or suggestions, but I do have my own story and set of very similar symptoms...I'm a 28 year old female, and for almost four months now I've been experiencing the nearly always constant urge to have a bowel movements, but as stated above, I don't usually have to go - it just feels like I do. 95% of my life I feel like that these days, I've missed many holidays and work functions due to the fact I feel like in 10 mins, I'm going to urgently need a bathroom...I went to the emergency room three times for related symptoms, and all they said was "I think you have a UTI" and put me on antibiotics (I hhave recently moved and didn 't have a PCP yet).now I have a PCP, and after reviewing all the tests and xrays from the ER, still can't find anything wrong, so he put me on 'gas relief' snd suggested fiber supplements... neither of which has helped me. I've seen my PCP three times about it, and he still tells me nothing's wrong despite my pain and constant discomfort... he told me "it's not getting any worse, come back in six months" but it's not getting any better either, nothing I've tried has given me any relief. I want my life back, the anxiety that goes along with feeling like **** all the time is really, really getting to me. I have no allergies, as far as I know. I just want some relief...the only good news is he hasn't said "well, it's just IBS" if it were, I wouldn't feel like I do 24/7. just because my PCP says I'm healthy doesn't make it so. it's my body, and something's wrong with it... every morning I get up and spend about 30 mins of the hour before work in the bathroom. I usually move my bowels three or four times before I leave. as stated above, it's usually a little bit each time - not quite solid, but definitely not diarrhea. then in the afternoon usually once or twice more, but very little stool then. just a dribble, that usually helps for a short while, but as soon as I eat dinner, I feel uncomfortable again.I'd give just about anything for some relief. anything anyone has to offer, I AM LISTENING! thank you.
    mlb328 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • I think this may have something to do with food. I travel to both Canada and the US with a friend often and we noticed the following:1- Canada: bowels happy2- Texas: constant need to go after a few days in the country.Something to do with food? Water? Air?I sure would like to know...
    jdesjar 1 Replies
    • November 14, 2013
    • 06:23 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• Had the same problem until I started taking 1/2 tsp of "Natural Calm" magnesium supplement in 4 oz of water every night before bed. Problem gone!
    Allll56 1 Replies
    • August 20, 2014
    • 00:59 AM
    Flag this Response
  • i was told IBS 20+Years with similar problemsu. I am compelled to share my story. I too have paiin 24/7. I have been to the best Gastro's, primaries and top OB/GYN's including those that specialize in cancer. Blood tests norm/l exams proved that I had multi cysts, a fibroid, endometriosis. appendix burst during explorstory, 6 lapro surgeries, dnc's. Eliminate lactose, gluten & get a hydrogen breath t for H. pylori. Insist colonoscopy include lower bowel/small ilymphocytic colitis/sibo.
    Anonymous 1 Replies
    • September 25, 2014
    • 01:14 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have had the same symptoms but mine is getting better.. I started taking a women daily gummy vitamin and enzymes every time before I eat a heavy meal to help make my bowels easier for digestion.. If I feel it may come on at night I drink traditional medicinals gas relief tea and I sleep through the night.. I would suggest ginger and peppermint tea also.. I get the urge to go now but it's minimal and able to live life pretty normal for the past month.try zinc also it helps with digestion
    Anonymous 1 Replies
    • September 28, 2014
    • 09:31 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement