Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

numbness and tingling in legs

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 24 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • February 15, 2007
  • 04:02 AM

Roughly a year and a half ago my legs began a numbness, tingling sensation from my calves to my toes. I'm 22 years old female and have always been an athlete. I've seen a neurologist who tested the nerves in my feet and calves. And had an MRI done on my neck and brain because of a fall I had taken that sprained my neck about the same time my legs began the problem. I've seen the commercials for Restless Leg Syndrom and have questioned the possibilities of it. The feeling of bugs crawling under my skin and the 'restless'ness that comes when even trying to sit through a movie I can relate to. However I have more problems in the morning when I wake then at night, MOST times. My feet have been so bad before that I literally fall because of the pain and pressure of stepping on them. This pain goes away after a few moments but it doesn't go away from just sitting back down. I had these symptoms for about 5 monthes then they lightened up and are back again. I also have questioned if it could be a circulatory problem for my feet are ALWAYS cold. (the nurse had to use a hair dryer to warm my feet while doing the nerve damage tests). I've been told to wait for more symptoms but my legs are driving me crazy- any help or suggestions?

Reply Flag this Discussion

24 Replies:

• I have the same symptoms. My nerve test came back normal, and I will have MRI on head, neck and back next week. I will post results.I also question if it is nuro related at all.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 17, 2007
    • 04:19 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Have your doctor test you for vitamin B12 deficiency. The following tests MUST be done: methylmalonic acid (MMA), homocysteine (Hcy), vitamin B12.Vitamin B12 deficiency can give you numbness and tingling and cause restless leg syndrome. Your doctor cannot only do a serum B12 level--- because the range for serum B12 is much too vast. Some hospitals use the range 200-1000 and if your B12 level comes back 300 they think you don't have a problem, but the MMA test is a sensitive test to rule out B12 deficiency at the tissue and cellular level. Before taking any B12 supplements or getting a shot----insist on the above tests. If you start taking the B12 before proper testing you will screw up the results and then never know if a B12 deficiency was causing your symptoms.I have written the book, "Could It Be B12? An Epidemic of Misdiagnoses," Quill Driver Books, 2005. 12 reviews on Amazon.com, which explains everything you ever wanted to know about B12 and more. I actually have one form of B12 deficiency called autoimmune pernicious anemia--- and diagnosed myself at the age of 21. The doctors were shocked and stated that young people don't get this--- but during my 20 years of research regarding B12 deficiency-- this is not true. Ask your doctor if he checked your B12 level--- what was it--- and more importantly have him check the MMA and Hcy level.I was diagnosed early-- so I have no permanent injury or chronic neuropathy--- but if if goes undetected or untreated you can have permanent neuropathy like diabetics--- also can progress to balance and gait problems, and some people can end up in wheelchairs. So this is serious. Of interest to you, I would get restless leg syndrome and by getting more frequent injections completely resolved this. Also, when I was 19- 20 years old, I had the cold, vasoconstriction to my feet--- kind of like Raynaud's that would change color-- and really couldn't feel my feet--- they would get chilled and I was like an old person, this has resolved 80%--- and I never get color changes anymore in the last 20 years.If all your B12 tests come back normal---- then you could try high dose methyl-B12 sublingual 5,000 mcg per day and see if it helps your leg problems. Also, should have your doctor check your ferritin (which is a test regarding your iron stores). But you must get the MMA test done first before taking B12.Your doctor may not suspect B12 deficiency if you are not anemic or macrocytic--- but at least 1/3 of patient don't show these signs---- and this is one of many reasons doctors miss an easy diagnosis.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 17, 2007
    • 05:12 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Forgot one more thing--- if you recently had any nitrous oxide (for dental work--wisdom tooth removal, dental cleaning) or any surgeries that you were given nitrous oxide-- this can induce a severe B12 deficiency(causing increased symptoms) in people who had a beginning B12 deficiency, but didn't know it.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 17, 2007
    • 05:19 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Very good point, Sally!Nutritional deficiencies are vastly overlooked by western MD's, and I believe it is a huge problem as our western diets are quite poor.I would suggest adding magnesium and potassium to the mix as they can also cause restless leg syndrome. A good and relatively cheap supplement is called EmergenC and you can find it anywhere. Look for a good sublingual B12 at the healthfood store, or try www.vitacost.com they have great prices and customer service. Best wishes.DOM
    acuann 3,080 Replies
    • February 17, 2007
    • 05:59 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I had a lot of blood work done with it one of them being a b12 check and diabetes. They checked several other things as well I think one of those several being thyroid. I've recently started developing heart flutters as well although I have yet to see the doctor for this one. I'm questioning a possible blood, circulatory problem and that maybe they are all related?!?.. any thoughts??
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 18, 2007
    • 11:36 PM
    Flag this Response
  • The above unregistered is mine.. the same person that started this thread.. sek8
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 18, 2007
    • 11:39 PM
    Flag this Response
  • sek8you have restless leg syndrome. I only know this as my brother has just been looking up on it as he thinks he is suffering from the same condition. look on google you will find it....
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 25, 2007
    • 06:37 PM
    Flag this Response
  • You mentioned that you think you had your thyroid tested, but if you are not sure you may want to ask your doctor. This may sound strange but I have hypothyroidism (underactive thyroid) and have taken Synthroid for 20 years. During the last year my legs and feet started going numb. It started with mostly the foot, then it went from my knee to my foot. It would go numb and tingle and cause foot pain. Of course with an underactive thyroid the circulation is bad so your feet get very cold also. My doctor told me that my symptoms were all symptoms of an underactive thyroid so when he checked it he found I did need to increase my Synthroid. As soon as he increased my dosage the tingling and numbness in my foot and leg went away.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 28, 2007
    • 00:42 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi,I am a 27 yr old male. I think I am having a similar problem.On my left thigh, from right above the knee to upto about 4inches: I have sometimes tickling sensation, and most of the times being numb. Other than that I do not observe anything abnormal in my body.Please advise.Thanks
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • HiI am a 23 yrs old female..I too have the same tickling n numbness in my left leg around 4 inches above the knee...other than that evrything seems normal.Please advise.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 7, 2008
    • 04:03 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Have you tried taking magnesium?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 8, 2008
    • 06:25 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• "Skin becoming too dry" is what my physician told me...and gave me "Dermacerin" moisturizer. Its available at the counter.But the numbness is still there...probably...because I am not using it regularly. Good luck!HiI am a 23 yrs old female..I too have the same tickling n numbness in my left leg around 4 inches above the knee...other than that evrything seems normal.Please advise.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 8, 2008
    • 07:35 PM
    Flag this Response
  • i too am having some numbness/tingling feeling in my upper left thigh.. started out more of a pain and the dr. also told me that it was a form of exzema so i let it go.. but now i'm thinking.. would that make my leg tingle?? i think i may try the "dermacerin" moisturizer."Skin becoming too dry" is what my physician told me...and gave me "Dermacerin" moisturizer. Its available at the counter.But the numbness is still there...probably...because I am not using it regularly. Good luck!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 9, 2008
    • 05:53 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I had all these symptons and b12 cured all . You need B12 .I had tingling in my hands and feet I had pins and needles in my back and body sometimesI would play video games and my fingers would just start huring after a while I would sit down for a while and my butt would be numb If I slept on my hand or if my girlfriend laid on my hand/arm it would get numb I had rapid hearbeat and a lot of times my heartbeat would skip I started having panic attacks Sometimes I would have nauseas feellings etc Anyway ... I started taking B12 supplements and I immediately felt better . What do you have to lose ? You will know if works once you try it .
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 6, 2008
    • 09:09 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I think you have restless leg syndrome too, ecspecially if you are an athlete.Google it
    vfemmes 9 Replies
    • February 7, 2008
    • 07:36 PM
    Flag this Response
  • http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Restless_legs_syndrome I have exactly your same case,& I guess this link will be of great use
    omomar 9 Replies
    • February 11, 2008
    • 10:21 PM
    Flag this Response
  • It began last nite when I was attempting to fall asleep. I thought that I had left my electric blanket on but no, my left leg was hot and slightly numb..almost ticklish when I gently rubbed it. I also have nausea but very minor. I had felt a similar sensation in my left torso area the day of and before. I too wonder about RLS, but I also wonder about MS as I come from a town where this is very prevalent in women my age. I have a history of thyroid in my family but my test results are always negative. My B12 levels are within low average range. I think my diet is good and healthy. I do not know where to lead my thoughts from here. P.S. Thanks for the previous stated insights. I would appreciate any more of your thoughts.
  • I had all these symptons and b12 cured all . You need B12 . I had tingling in my hands and feet I had pins and needles in my back and body sometimesI would play video games and my fingers would just start huring after a while I would sit down for a while and my butt would be numb If I slept on my hand or if my girlfriend laid on my hand/arm it would get numb I had rapid hearbeat and a lot of times my heartbeat would skip I started having panic attacks Sometimes I would have nauseas feellings etc Anyway ... I started taking B12 supplements and I immediately felt better . What do you have to lose ? You will know if works once you try it . Best form of B12 is Methyl B12 and one of the best brands is Jarrow or MRM. Methylcobalamin is supposed to be much better absorbed than cyanocobalamin DOM
    acuann 3,080 Replies Flag this Response
  • i am 22 years old and have never had problems with my legs. but for the last 3 days i have been numb from my hip all the way to my toes. not to sure what is wrong. i can still walk on it and sorta feel it but its not normal. has anyone ever had this problem.
  • I have several ques4tions. My son started experiencing symptoms of RLS Jan09 (3 1/2yrs old) - waking up in the middle of the night screaming there were snakes and spiders crawling all over his legs. He spent 4 days in a local childrens hospital but when all blood results came back "normal" they sent us home diagnosing him with a "mental or behavorial problem". I pleaded with them that RLS ran in my husbands family and asked if this was a possiblity - which they dismissed as I didn't know anything. It took us 6 months to get into a sleep clinic and immediately being diagnosed with RLS as they said his ferritin levels were in the low 20's in Jan. They have had him on iron replacement therapy 3 rounds now. His ferritin levels rise while on the iron then when he goes off it drops dramically within 45days(72-41 recently). They have done SEVERAL blood tests and everything keeps coming back normal but his ferritin/iron levels. They can't figure out where the iron is going and why it is dropping so fast. Why would he keep losing iron w/o anything else showing up strange?? Any suggestions???
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 18, 2010
    • 02:17 AM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement