Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

White Skin-like Jelly Forms on Inside of Mouth Walls

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 127 Replies
  • Posted By: goneskiing
  • February 14, 2007
  • 11:57 PM

Thanks for your interest. Every day, white skin-like jelly forms on the interior walls of my mouth, also under the tounge from time to time. I end up having to dig or scrape the skin-like jelly from the inside of my mouth. The stuff usually forms overnight while I sleep, but can also form throughout the day. There are no red spots in my mouth, no tumors or lesions, no sores, no bumps, in fact my mouth otherwise feels fine. My mouth does feel pasty lately.

I thought that toothpaste caused it, but later ruled it out.

I describe the jelly as skin like because it will coat the entire insides of my cheeks, and when scraped out looks somewhat like skin. But it is a jelly substance of somekind. It is always white, although rinsing my mouth with blue or green Listerine will cause all the jelly to soak in some blue/green coloring. Listerine will remove some, but I have to scrape out the bulk.

Any ideas on the cause(s) or treatment suggestions? I am completely baffled.

Many thanks!!!

Josh

Reply Flag this Discussion
  • this is a stretch because I don't know if adults can get this, but candida/yeast forms on the inside of newborn babies' mouths... usually when nursing, etc. It is a white film that you can scrape off. If you don't get any better suggestions, I would look into that.Hope that helps?
    Sick&Tired 11 Replies
    • February 15, 2007
    • 00:01 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi, thanks for the reply. I looked into Candida/Yeast, and apparently adults can contract it. But I don't have the listed symptoms: no redness or pain when scraping off the jelly, no lesions. I saw a picture of what it looks like, but doesn't look like mine. The interior of my mouth looks normal, except for a white creamy looking film covering the interior skin of the cheeks and gums.Perhaps there is another variation of candida that might be the cause. I will look into it.Thanks!!!Josh
    goneskiing 2 Replies
    • February 15, 2007
    • 01:54 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I had the same things and I figured out that it happens when i brush my teeth too harshly. i think its because ofthe friction. hope that helps?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Interesting...I suppose that could be it. I will see if it makes any difference.Thanks!Josh
  • Maybe try an antihistamine?
    rad-skw 1,605 Replies Flag this Response
  • This happens to me as well especially when I use foaming toothpastes or mouthwashes, specifically lysterine. I wouldn't be too worried about it :D
    sosickofthis 31 Replies Flag this Response
  • Listerine causes this for me and Listerine brand toothpaste. It's causes a white, stringy, jelly-skin-like substance. I get the same reaction to harsh toothpastes. Sometimes I have to take a washcloth and literally 'wipe' every inch of my mouth and lips. It's gross. I know exactly what you're talking about and it isn't candida. It's just a peculiar reaction the skin and sputum seem to have with Listerine products and those similar.
  • Do u kno wat, I think it is a form of thrush or candida. Its really worrying me cos the bloke I have been seeing has a really wierd ***k lol! I was very hesitant about doing anything with it but he claims its always been like this! **** Knos I just did it anyway and Ive only had this wierd mouth thing since I started seeing him! Im going to see my doctor asap!!
  • Did you ever get this figured out? I have had the same condition for the past year or so, and I cannot determine the cause.
  • Oh man, this has been happening to me lately as well! I find it so absolutely disgusting when I'm just walking along and then I realize that I had that white goop in my mouth again. :( At first, I thought it was the sink water I use every day to wash up with. But then, I've had switched to Crest Pro-health toothpaste and Crest mouthwash a couple of months ago and I've been getting the jelly stuff in my mouth ever since!If the only cause for this is just wrong reactions to toothpaste/mouthwash, can it be cured/removed by just switching to another brand? Or is it really a contracted disease? =\
  • Interesting, I have the same thing and I also recently started using Crest Pro Health toothpaste. I will try an all natural organic toothpaste and see if this helps. I have a very healthy mouth, floss 2 times a day, brush at least 2-3 and noticed this white sticky substance when I wake up almost daily. Makes me question what is in our toothpaste?? Let me know if you find out any additional info.
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• This is something. I have been getting this white skin-like jelly in my mouth also for sometime, which forms shortly after brushing. Recently my 13 year old daughter told me she gets it also. I just realized it must be something we're doing the same. We used to use plax pre-rinse before brushing, and was not having this problem. Plax re-rinse have become scarce in stores, and my daughter asked if we could try the listerine pre-brush rinse with whitening. This product foams as you use it. And the white stuff forms in the mouth shortly after brushing. We've been using it for abouth 9 months to a year now. I'm going to switch back to the Plax when I find it, and see if it stops. Also I'm going to compare the ingredients. I think it has something to do with the whitening agent. Cathy
    catherine1 3 Replies Flag this Response
  • Hi, As stated previously, I was going to stop using the listerine pre-brush rinse with whitening. We stopped using it and have not had the white substance in our mouth since. :) I would advise people not to use those types of rinses by listerine or any other brand. I don't know if the crest pro health has a whitening agent in it also, but there is an ingredient in these different products that certainly causes a reaction.
  • I too have started getting this case of the nasties. I use a generic version, Hannaford Pre-Brush Whitening Rinse, same ingrediants as Listerine whitening. the active ingrediant is obviously the Hydrogen peroxide which is why it foams (remember the volcano you made in 3rd grade= baking soda and peroxide). These rinses have ingrediants, like sweeteners, to make the peroxide more tolerant. After this bottle is done, I will try going back to strait peroxide. by doing so, we can illiminate the other ingrediants, still get the whitening and perhaps negate that the peroxide is causing the trouble. thanks for helping in the elimination process.
  • Just a thought here, but have you ever noticed how peroxide turns white when you pour it on an infected cut? Could be its reacting to a cavity and spreading throughout the mouth from the saliva containing the same bacteria in the cavity? A lot of the new mouthwashes and toothpastes are geared to keep that clean feeling in your mouth so there must be something in them to keep a sort of residue from them hanging around-which could explain why its showing up later in the day again too. One of you mentioned its like jelly--that could be its gelling up from whatever ingredient that keeps the stuff in your mouth for that "lasting fresh breath". Is this making sense to anyone?
    chromegirl666 101 Replies Flag this Response
  • I get it only when using whitening toothpaste. Rinsing with mouthwash after brushing removes most of it.
  • I get it when using whitening toothpaste. Most of it washes out with mouthwash.
  • That's great...My daughter and I have not had the jelly substance in our mouth since I threw out the bottle of Listerine pre-brush w/ whitening. Hopefully everyone else receiving this information will consider doing the same also. I look forward to your outcome when using straight peroxide.
  • I am told it is an allergic reaction that some people have to "tartar control" substances in mouth cleansing products. I don't know how accurate this is, but I've cut out all tartar control pastes and such and haven't had the problem since. Best of luck!!
  • I just came back from my family doctor with the same problem. Mine occurs every morning when I wake up and as the day progresses. I have been using Crest Herbal Mint Whitening toothpaste for years. My doctor misdiagnosed me 2 years ago with thrush. The Magic Mouthwash he prescribed for me does not work, and he believes now it is not thrush. It is completely annoying as I am a teacher and talk all day. I continuously scrape the white jelly like substance out of my mouth. I wonder if I have developed a reaction to the toothpaste. I am going to switch immediately to a toothpaste with whitener.
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement