Discussions By Condition: Muscle conditions

arm pain after sneezing

Posted In: Muscle conditions 495 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • July 31, 2006
  • 01:20 AM

This may sound funny but I do have arm pain after sneezing. It hurts to the point of having to hold onto it until it stops.

Reply Flag this Discussion
  • I have this problem too. My arms will hurt right at and below the elbow after I sneeze. The larger the sneeze the more (and longer) they seem to hurt, it's a very intense tingly soreness that usually lasts about ten seconds. Also, I believe the right arm usualy hurts more. It didn't used to happen when I was a kid, I started noticing it around high school....I haven't met anyone else with this problem.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • I have this problem too. My arms will hurt right at and below the elbow after I sneeze. The larger the sneeze the more (and longer) they seem to hurt, it's a very intense tingly soreness that usually lasts about ten seconds. Also, I believe the right arm usualy hurts more. It didn't used to happen when I was a kid, I started noticing it around high school....I haven't met anyone else with this problem.My doctor would probably think I was crazy if I went to him about this problem. I don't understand wy it hurts.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Yes, me too. See this post, it's outdated, but somewhat helpful. I still don't know the cause, but I'll be here, fighting for sneeze-arm-pain-sufferers (SAPS) everywhere.http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=138890
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 19, 2006
    • 04:20 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I've had sharp, tingly arm pain--all over pain actually--during some especially hard sneezes, most of my adult life. What I find interesting is that now, at 56 years old, I have a very similar, but much more painful situation when I try to jog with the dog, or do something fairly strenuous. The first time this happened I immediately went in for cardio scans and treadmill tests. Everything appeared to be normal and I didn't get the pains on the treadmill--walking, even briskly doesn't seem to cause it. If I stand in place and jump up and down I can set it off--a sharp, tearing, burning sensation that seems to be rather shallow, not under the rib cage. It does feel similar to the pain I've experienced after a big sneeze, across the chest and back, down the arms into the hands. It will probably be lack of exercise and my sedentary lifestyle that will be the reason for it--some kind of connective tissue thing. The doctors I've talked to never really comment once it's clear that it doesn't seem to be heart related, but it makes me nervous!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 31, 2006
    • 00:02 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I think this may have something to do with blood presure...
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 15, 2006
    • 00:25 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I'm 31yr old male. My sneezes are very strong and loud. I also get those pains in my arms and legs for about three mins after sneezing. I also get starry vision for a few secs. The pain in my legs are just above the knees is quite disconcerting and uncomfortable. I sometimes get a pain in my lower neck as well. Driving can be scary because if I sneeze I cannot see for a brief moment and everything is sore. It's never bad enough for me to pull over but as I said it's disconcerting. I have ok blood pressure. I have had this problem for quite sometime. I haven't been to the gym in a while but I had the same problem when I was going. I suffer from hayfever which makes is all the more comical.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 28, 2006
    • 10:07 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Sometimes I will have a strong pain all over. I have to stop and breath so that I don't pass out. It's as if someone has pumelled me everywhere. I can't really tell where the pain is radiating from, but it sure does incapacitate me for a few minutes. The most annoying part is that people tell me "Don't hold back when you sneeze." "No Really!??" I say.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 10, 2006
    • 08:59 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Same here...I'm a 28 year old Male and sneeze very forcefully. Lately I feel like someone has taken a 2x4 and taken a full swing across my upper back, shoulders and arms after I sneeze. It is the most unbearable pain for a few moments. I want to die when I sneeze 3 or 4 times in a row.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 14, 2006
    • 08:55 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Boy I just had a sneeze just now and had one yesterday. I alos get pain in my elbow joints it unbearable. It hurts so much that I got fed up and decided to search about it hence I came across this forum. If I find anything i'll let you know.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 15, 2006
    • 09:17 AM
    Flag this Response
  • if anyone gets any info on this please post it up! i just did a search for this as im experiencing the same problems.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 18, 2006
    • 03:46 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Male/23/ very active. I am having the same type of pain in my arms and back after sneezing, feels like muscles cramping. Driving is scary because I feel like i am going to pass out, i get it mostly when driving. If i am out of my car, leaning over seems to get rid of this problem, with this I think it might be to do with a back or neck injury, displaces disc causing a pinch in a nerve following a sneeze. I have hurt myself before, but dont have constant back/neck pain. Good article to read for this is http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=138890I am off to the doctors tomorrow as this is getting freaky. I will post after.cheersMike
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 18, 2006
    • 07:44 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• Yep, have had the same thing for long time. The worst so far was yesterday when I was doubled up, clutching at and rubbing the inside of my elbows or a good five minutes before it went away. It feels like the pressure behind the sneeze bursts something in my arms, and I get an intense aching sensation which comes on almost immediately, gets worse, and then slowly subsides. Am on the point of going to the doc, but thought I'd check up here first.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 29, 2006
    • 06:18 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Add me to the list as this a recent problem of mine as well. I sneeze and I feel pain/soreness all over... but most intensely in my forearms. Lingers about 10 seconds.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 3, 2006
    • 04:09 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I'm a 41 yr old male. When I sneeze I sometimes get tremendous pain down my arms. The last time it hurt badly for approx. 3 minutes. Had to sit and wait for pain to subside. Does anyone know why this might happen???
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 4, 2006
    • 04:49 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Yes I have the same pain after sneezing, it starts at the base of my neck and radiates down my arms with the worst pain in the forearms. Yes it does feel like extreme muscle soreness which puts me out of commission for a few minutes and will sometimes even give me a headache and a tightness in my facial muscles. I recently had an MRI (lots of fun when your claustrophobic, 2 valium finally did the trick) My doctor reviewed the scans and said I have the neck of an eighty year old man,(I'm 37) then referred me to a neurosurgeon. Doc. says he see's spinal and potentially nerve issues causing my headaches and pain in my shoulder and arm of which may be a totally different issue than my sneezing pain but I think it's all connected. I'll post back with further info if found.
    FrankCona 1 Replies
    • November 7, 2006
    • 00:35 AM
    Flag this Response
  • background: very active (football, weightlifting) until age 19. Pretty much unhealthy diet (lots of soda, fast food) and no exercise(aside from work) until age 26. I am average body size (small belly, maybe 15 pounds over ideal weight). on a side note, my neck no longer "pops" when i twist it.Symptoms: pain after sneezing. Usually on the inside of my elbow. sometimes in armpit.Im not sure if my pain should be attributed to neck/spinal problems or unhealthy/clogged arteries. So I thought I would ask you guys who are having the same type of pain if you have any neck problems/headaches.. and are you active, healthy diet? lets see what we have in common
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 7, 2006
    • 03:57 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Im 21yr old womyn, I get a pain in my right hip when i sneeze, yawn or cough....Its the worst when I sneeze though, I have to hold onto my hip or I will fall over. It started out as a lower back problem, the last 8 months its been a constant pain/irriation in the right side and then moved into my right hip, thats when the pain came with sneezing etc., EVERY doctor said it was just muscle problems. But I just had blood work done and I tested positive for rheumatoid arthritis
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 7, 2006
    • 10:21 PM
    Flag this Response
  • 20 year old male here. Here recently it seems I've been experiencing similar pains. That is actually how I found my way here, Googling answers. Right after a sneeze, I get sharp pains in both arms (and recently my left side)... which I can only describe as being in the veins, almost as if the pain travels in the veins... it's odd. It only lasts 2-10 seconds (10 if I do a double-sneeze). Whoever mentioned blood pressure, I don't know, it definitely seems like a possibility, at least in my case, seeing as it does indeed feel like it's traveling the veins. Hope someone can come back with a definitive answer soon...
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 8, 2006
    • 07:52 PM
    Flag this Response
  • My husband is 40 yrs old. He has been experiencing extreme pain in the forearms after coughing. He is a smoker, has high blood pressure, and is currently seeing a neurologist for inflammation of the jaw. The pain in the forearms lasts about 60 seconds, sometimes longer, sometimes shorter. If anyone can identify what this problem is, please post!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 14, 2006
    • 03:46 PM
    Flag this Response
  • 21 year old here about 6'0 tall and 220 lbs. i have just recently got sick and when i sneeze it hurts sooooo bad . The pain starts at my neck and i can feel it traveling through my arms to my elbows and then fingertips. Even when the pain goes away i have a tingle feeling in my arms/shoulders/neck for a good 3 minutes . Didn't want to call my doctor so i googled this up and decided to share my experience aswell.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 21, 2006
    • 05:36 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement