Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Red & Swollen hands...

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 19 Replies
  • Posted By: Sick&Tired
  • February 13, 2007
  • 11:57 PM

As my screen name indicates, I am Sick & Tired of not knowing what is happening with my body. Doctors give me that puzzled look, and then give me a "diagnosis" that might include some of my symptoms.
I'm hoping someone out there has heard of this... and might have some suggestions.
I will just list the symptoms:

1. My hands are almost always cold

2. When they do get warm/hot (ie; in the shower), the swell up very quickly and turn deep red, almost purple, and then tingle like they're asleep and throb like I'm holding my heart in my hands.

Some other symptoms that I have which I'm not sure if they are related:

1. I get full very fast, and feel like something is in the pit of my stomach all the time (right where the two sides of my rib cage come together and start to curve up... at the bottom of my rib cage).

2. I had three "episodes" this past summer and fall... I would get very dizzy, my heart would race very fast, I had an intense stomach ache.

I have had two heart scans, EKG, two stress test, and I wore a holter monitor for a month... everything is "fine". I think it might have been related to a food allergy, but I'm starting to wonder if it's not connected in some way to what is happening with my hands.

Also, I'm a breast cancer survivor. 3 1/2 years, diagnosed with stage IIA invasive ductal carcinoma, node negative. I had four rounds of adriamycin and cytoxin, and then 6 1/2 weeks of radiation.

Are any of these symptoms related to the cancer dx, or my treatments? Actually, the red, swollen hand thing started just before my cancer dx... so before any of my treatments.

Can anyone out there shed any light on any of these symptoms??
Thank you!!
Sick & Tired... of being sick and tired...

Reply Flag this Discussion

19 Replies:

• Hi, I too am sick and tired of being sick and tired. Abt the cold purpleish hands, I have them too. It sounds like you may have Raynaud's Symdrome. Mine is a "tag along" to Lyme disease. It can also be caused by thyroid problems. Here is a site for some info. www.raynauds.org . Sorry, I can't answer the other questions. Hope you feel better soon.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 14, 2007
    • 11:33 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Jojo, Rhonda & "unregistered"... thank you for your responses! At last I don't feel like i'm crazy, or that this is all in my head. I have seen an oncologist, an internal medicine doctor, a cardiologist and a gastro-intestinal doctor and NONE of them have had ANY suggestions beyond carpal tunnel syndrome. NOT ONE of them suggested Raynaud's and here you all are suggesting it to me... I have lost faith in medicine. I will make an appointment to check into Raynaud's, and to rule out other auto-immune diseases that some of you mentioned.Thank you, thank you!
    Sick&Tired 11 Replies
    • February 14, 2007
    • 10:20 PM
    Flag this Response
  • My 17 year old daughter is also suffering from swollen cold hands, but only one, the left. They have also suggested Raynauds disease but I question the fact that only one hand is effected. It also swells more with physical activity (throwing/pitching a softball). It turns cold only when she for instant lets her arm hang down to her side. It warms up when she moves it about. She has had vascular tests (ultrasound, PVR) to rule out blood clots are other vascular problems. From what you've learned, any ideas.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 23, 2007
    • 08:48 PM
    Flag this Response
  • this is to the unregistered person with the 17 year old daughter and the swelling, cold hand problems...I don't really know much more. I just had a bunch of tests done, and they had me come back for further testing for Lupus. What I did find out (and I'm not sure how accurate this is), is that Raynaud's doesn't show up by itself... meaning that it is usually there because there is something else wrong (ie; Lupus, Rheumatoid arthritis, Scleroderma, etc.) As far as it only being one hand, that's fairly common from what I understand. My doctor actually has it too, and it only effects one of her fingers. So one hand is certainly not unusual. I guess my advice would be to keep testing her for things until you've ruled everything out! If it is Raynaud's, it's not there by itself. Her doctors need to figure out what the bigger issue is... and rule out all the things that it isn't. That's the way I'm looking at things these days. If they can tell me all the things that I don't have, then whatever this is should be easier to pinpoint. BEST of luck to you... I hope her problems clear up and it turns out to be nothing!Take care.
    Sick&Tired 11 Replies
    • February 23, 2007
    • 11:15 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I also have cold hands all the time and am only 36 years old,but my hands are starting to show signs of a person that is aging quickly and they almost always stay red and almost look leatherly any ideas what it could be.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 26, 2007
    • 10:47 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I don't know about the leathery symptom, mine don't do that. Have you been tested for anything? Seems like liver testing might be a place to start according to the posts that I found. Good luck!
    Sick&Tired 11 Replies
    • February 27, 2007
    • 00:50 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I'm posting again because I don't think my last post will make it. I copied a link from another web site (another one like this one) and I got a message that it would have to be viewed by a moderator... or something like that. Anyway, I do not know anything about the leathery hand symptoms... I don't have that. But I did a web search for red, leathery hands and got onto another forum where several people were talking about it. Based on what they're saying, i would check into your liver. It seems that was what they were talking about. The other forum was Med Help (no space in between those two words), and then "dot" com. I don't know if this will go through now either, but I'll give it a try.Good luck!!
    Sick&Tired 11 Replies
    • February 27, 2007
    • 01:04 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Have you ever been tested for vertigo?some of your symtoms seem are very similar to that, check this website:http://www.neurologychannel.com/vertigo/As my screen name indicates, I am Sick & Tired of not knowing what is happening with my body. Doctors give me that puzzled look, and then give me a "diagnosis" that might include some of my symptoms.I'm hoping someone out there has heard of this... and might have some suggestions. I will just list the symptoms:1. My hands are almost always cold2. When they do get warm/hot (ie; in the shower), the swell up very quickly and turn deep red, almost purple, and then tingle like they're asleep and throb like I'm holding my heart in my hands.Some other symptoms that I have which I'm not sure if they are related:1. I get full very fast, and feel like something is in the pit of my stomach all the time (right where the two sides of my rib cage come together and start to curve up... at the bottom of my rib cage).2. I had three "episodes" this past summer and fall... I would get very dizzy, my heart would race very fast, I had an intense stomach ache.I have had two heart scans, EKG, two stress test, and I wore a holter monitor for a month... everything is "fine". I think it might have been related to a food allergy, but I'm starting to wonder if it's not connected in some way to what is happening with my hands.Also, I'm a breast cancer survivor. 3 1/2 years, diagnosed with stage IIA invasive ductal carcinoma, node negative. I had four rounds of adriamycin and cytoxin, and then 6 1/2 weeks of radiation.Are any of these symptoms related to the cancer dx, or my treatments? Actually, the red, swollen hand thing started just before my cancer dx... so before any of my treatments. Can anyone out there shed any light on any of these symptoms??Thank you!!Sick & Tired... of being sick and tired...
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 28, 2007
    • 05:42 PM
    Flag this Response
  • ok.. im am 14 and just recently (the past 4 weeks) my hands have began to swell after they get cold (about 58ish degrees F im guessing) and then warmed at room temperature... my fingers become hard to bend and it is starting to get very annoying. i am a male if that has anything to do with anything
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • omg the exact same thing happens to my hands. theyre always cold and they get really red and swelled and puffy. and sometimes even a purpleish color too. i dont know what it is!
  • Well me too! I've got the red, swollen, tingling hands and feet. They are really cold and red and then flare and get bright red, sweaty and warm. They seem to "flare" most around mid cycle of my period. Hormonal maybe. I think I have Raynaud's too as they can sometimes get purple (especially my feet!) and maybe a burning pain too..like erythromyalgia, but not so severe.?? I hate trying to self-diagnose! I also have difficulties sleeping, sweating, nerve sensitivity/pain in my eyes, and gastrointestinal problems too. I seem to bloat a lot after eating and have had a couple of bouts of red blood in the stool. I am having a sigmoidoscopy in a couple of weeks to follow up on the blood. I've been tested for everything. I've 53 blood/urine tests in the past three months, seen a rhuematologist, nuerologist and dermatologist and no diagnosis. They keep telling me: "All of your blood tests are normal." I even had a abdominal CT scan to look at intestines, liver etc...also normal. I wish I could walk onto the T.V. show House and have all of the doctor's gather and work to figure it out. It is so very frustrating to go to several different doctors who don't seem to be getting the big picture!
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• Well me too! I've got the red, swollen, tingling hands and feet. They are really cold and red and then flare and get bright red, sweaty and warm. They seem to "flare" most around mid cycle of my period. Hormonal maybe. I think I have Raynaud's too as they can sometimes get purple (especially my feet!) and maybe a burning pain too..like erythromyalgia, but not so severe.?? I hate trying to self-diagnose! I also have difficulties sleeping, sweating, nerve sensitivity/pain in my eyes, and gastrointestinal problems too. I seem to bloat a lot after eating and have had a couple of bouts of red blood in the stool. I am having a sigmoidoscopy in a couple of weeks to follow up on the blood. I've been tested for everything. I've 53 blood/urine tests in the past three months, seen a rhuematologist, nuerologist and dermatologist and no diagnosis. They keep telling me: "All of your blood tests are normal." I even had a abdominal CT scan to look at intestines, liver etc...also normal. I wish I could walk onto the T.V. show House and have all of the doctor's gather and work to figure it out. It is so very frustrating to go to several different doctors who don't seem to be getting the big picture! anyone ever hace a celiac/sprue test? Might be related to gluten sensitivity.....just a thought.
  • In reading your response to another blogger called "unregistered", I felt compelled to add something to your comment.What you mentioned was not completely true and I wanted to clarify it. There are two forms of Raynaud's Syndrome; Primary and Secondary. Primary is in the absence of any known pathology and is the most common form of Raynaud's, Secondary is in the presence of a pathology and the Raynaud's actually becomes a symptom of the pathology. Pathologies associated with secondary Raynaud's include: Systemic Lupus Erythmatosis (SLE), Scleroderma and Rheumatoid arthritis (RA), all of which are autoimmune disorders.Raynaud's commonly effects hands, but can occur in the feet, earlobes, and other places. It is known for what is called a "tricyclic" color change, meaning first the skin goes a purple/blue, then white, then red. The colors represent decrease circulation followed by intense blood flow to the area. This can effect the whole hand, both hands, or parts of a hand/fingers. It's not often associated with pain, but sometimes can be. It's often triggered by cold, which makes sense, but it doesn't have to be considerably cold. It is also triggered by stress. Something to consider for any of the symptoms you and some of the others are having. If no other pathology is found, look into diet and lifestyle. Food sensitivities due to unknown allergies or even what is put in the food we eat, is fast becoming more and more common. Conventional allergy tests are great, but also seek out some holistic testing as well, as they tend to be much more specific. We are what we eat as you know, and what we are eating these days....and more accurately....what's in the food we eat these days is something to be concerned about! Good Luck to youLJthis is to the unregistered person with the 17 year old daughter and the swelling, cold hand problems...I don't really know much more. I just had a bunch of tests done, and they had me come back for further testing for Lupus. What I did find out (and I'm not sure how accurate this is), is that Raynaud's doesn't show up by itself... meaning that it is usually there because there is something else wrong (ie; Lupus, Rheumatoid arthritis, Scleroderma, etc.) As far as it only being one hand, that's fairly common from what I understand. My doctor actually has it too, and it only effects one of her fingers. So one hand is certainly not unusual. I guess my advice would be to keep testing her for things until you've ruled everything out! If it is Raynaud's, it's not there by itself. Her doctors need to figure out what the bigger issue is... and rule out all the things that it isn't. That's the way I'm looking at things these days. If they can tell me all the things that I don't have, then whatever this is should be easier to pinpoint. BEST of luck to you... I hope her problems clear up and it turns out to be nothing!Take care.
  • ive been having a lot of elergic reactions lately and then just reasently my right hand started swelling turned red went numb realy warm and then realy tingly. idk whats wrong its a ****ing disaster, its a ****h **s of a summer **** **** *****r i hate ******s to god dam i hate pmsing and black people and mexicans . i hate every body exept whigt people and sometimes i hate them to.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 10, 2009
    • 07:37 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have similar symptons. I have read swollen hands however they are not cold. I also have major GI issues. Actually very similiar to what you have posted. I've also been to doctors and have had tons of tests but they always tell me that everything is normal. Finally I went to a "natural healer", he is a doctor from Japan. He told me that I have a "tight" liver and its affecting the rest of my internal system. He suggested eating natural probiotics and stay away from sugar and dairy. I'll let you know how it goes. :)
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 22, 2009
    • 06:51 PM
    Flag this Response
  • As my screen name indicates, I am Sick & Tired of not knowing what is happening with my body. Doctors give me that puzzled look, and then give me a "diagnosis" that might include some of my symptoms.I'm hoping someone out there has heard of this... and might have some suggestions. I will just list the symptoms:1. My hands are almost always cold2. When they do get warm/hot (ie; in the shower), the swell up very quickly and turn deep red, almost purple, and then tingle like they're asleep and throb like I'm holding my heart in my hands.Some other symptoms that I have which I'm not sure if they are related:1. I get full very fast, and feel like something is in the pit of my stomach all the time (right where the two sides of my rib cage come together and start to curve up... at the bottom of my rib cage).2. I had three "episodes" this past summer and fall... I would get very dizzy, my heart would race very fast, I had an intense stomach ache.I have had two heart scans, EKG, two stress test, and I wore a holter monitor for a month... everything is "fine". I think it might have been related to a food allergy, but I'm starting to wonder if it's not connected in some way to what is happening with my hands.Also, I'm a breast cancer survivor. 3 1/2 years, diagnosed with stage IIA invasive ductal carcinoma, node negative. I had four rounds of adriamycin and cytoxin, and then 6 1/2 weeks of radiation.Are any of these symptoms related to the cancer dx, or my treatments? Actually, the red, swollen hand thing started just before my cancer dx... so before any of my treatments. Can anyone out there shed any light on any of these symptoms??Thank you!!Sick & Tired... of being sick and tired...Im 11 years old and my hands are swollen and red :S when im cold they go purple and luminous pink ? Seriously tho it makes me feel so ****r when someone offers two shake my hand/high5
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 29, 2010
    • 08:37 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have Raynauds phenomenon, they try to refrain from calling it a syndrome as they do not know why it happens. Or so ive been told. My hands are the same way when they are cold which is all the time they are extremely cold and clammy, they also feel as if they shrink where my rings become loose on my fingers. BUT randomly they get warm, after a shower or if I havent had enough water and this causes them to swell up and become very uncomfortable. I was told to wear wool socks on my feet at night to lock in heat, gloves when its cold ect. Also to not smoke as smoking restricts the blood flow and causing people with raynauds to get limbs/fingers toes amputated due to the lack of blood flow.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 14, 2011
    • 11:51 AM
    Flag this Response
  • hi im pretty sure 100% you have Raynauds! my daughter has it! and it SUCKS! im sorry
  • I am not sure if this is going to help or not but it may be one reason...I have food allergies, matter of fact i am A celiac and my hands do the same exact thing when i eat something i am not suppose to..Tends to get a littel worse in the winter due to the cold dry air..Matter of fact i ate a cookie yesterday and today my hands are cracked swollen red sore and dried out.I am sure there are different causes for this other than just food allergies..Nothing helps when they are like this except maybe a little neosporin and ibuprofen to help with the swelling..Anyway just thought i would give an example of what maybe could be another reason for the cracked red swollen hands..
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement