Discussions By Condition: Ears, Nose, Mouth & Throat conditions

Swelling in roof of mouth

Posted In: Ears, Nose, Mouth & Throat conditions 277 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • February 13, 2007
  • 08:27 PM

Last week I had a fairly bad cold (or at least I think it was a cold) with the normal cough, lots of junk in my throat, lots of postnasal drip. I had a terribly sore throat for five days which probably had a lot to do with the drainage. There was blood also in what I was blowing out of my nose as well as the stuff that I was coughing up from my throat and it hadn't gotten any better by the end of the week either. On Friday I woke up with fairly sore lymph nodes on both sides of my neck and on the left side of the roof of my mouth I had a lump or a swollen spot or whatever you want to call it. It felt about the size of a dime and was just there when I woke up. I decided to go to see my GP about the soreness in my lymph nodes and because I still had quite a bit of blood in my mucous. He did all the routine stuff and said that he thought it was probably just a virus but because of the blood he was going to prescribe me some antibiotics just in case a bacterial infection tried setting up. I forgot while I was there to ask him about the roof of my mouth, but called back later to let him know about it and he said that it was probably from the virus as well and wasn't anything to worry about and to let him know if it didn't go away in a week or two. Of course, like everyone else I started looking online to see if I could find out why it might have been swollen and everything I have found is SCARY! Just about the only thing I can find associated with a swollen area or lump on the roof of your mouth is cancerous but since this occurred fairly rapidly at the same time as my cold I just don't know. I can see using a mirror and flashlight that it is just a sort of raised spot that was fairly red or at least a hotter pink than that of the lining around it. I don't really see a spot in the middle or anything like that and it sort of hurt when I ate and pressed against it on the first couple of days (Friday and Saturday) but it doesn't hurt so much anymore and I really can't tell if it has gone down any or not. Sometimes I think that it has and sometimes I think it hasn't. I just wanted to know if you guys could give me a little bit of insight with this. Is this something that can happen with a cold virus or do I need to be a bit more proactive and go to an ENT?

Reply Flag this Discussion
  • Well it has been 10 days since this swelling in the roof of my mouth showed up, and even though its gone down to about half the size it started, it is still there and hasn't really gone down any more in several days. If anyone has any ideas if this is a normal occurrance, or if this is at least something that I shouldn't worry about then I'd like to know. Everything I have seen about a swelling on the roof of your mouth on the internet is scary stuff but this sure seemed to occur as a problem of whatever respiratory virus I had. Can any normal cold viruses cause a swelling in the roof (hard palate) of your mouth? Thanks for any insight you can offer!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 19, 2007
    • 05:33 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I got very excited when I saw Caine's list of symptoms because mine are exactly the same, and I can't find any useful information. But no one has replied. Can anyone help us?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 23, 2007
    • 03:31 AM
    Flag this Response
  • i have lots of little tiny spots on the roof of my mouth, and a bigger one on the wiggly bit at back of throat. my throat is sore at the moment too so im gonna go show the doctor next week.
    raymae 21 Replies
    • February 24, 2007
    • 07:59 PM
    Flag this Response
  • hi there i too have some odd things going on with my mouth at the moment. i have had no cold recently but do have a lot of little tiny red spots on the roof of my mouth, i also have a bigger one on the wiggly bit at back of throat. my throat is quite sore to swallow at the moment so i dont know if i have any further down. im going to show the dr next week.
    raymae 21 Replies
    • February 24, 2007
    • 08:02 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Interesting...I have had similar. First a bad flu (temp 104) which lasted 5-7 days, then fine for 7 days, then a nasty sinus infection with a fair amount of blood in the post nasal drip (noticable when you spit , or blow your nose....sorry!). Most websites won't tell you to expect blood when you get sinusitus...but I get it...so do others...I guess it depends on how fragile the blood vessels are around you maxiliary sinus? The pain killers you take when you feel crappy (like asprin or ibuprofen) thin the blood, so probably make you bleed slightly more.I've been put on antibiotics by my GP, although the blood has almost totally gone, after 4 days I still feel crappy and aslo have red spots on the roof of my mouth (in a sort of gull-wing shape). I read on the net that this is a viral symptom, you can get these spots with Epstien Bar type viruses (I read that these cause Glandular Fever/Mononucleosis). Equally it could be a bit of oral thrush from taking the antibiotics?A good few people I work with have caught this cold/flu....it seems to go to your sinuses, or lungs and knocks you out for about 3 weeks!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • I don't want you guys to feel left out:Aches, slight fever, extreme fatigue for a few days.Phlegmy cough and stuffed sinuses for about a week and a half now.Sudden appearance of two sore, swollen lumps on the roof of my mouth yesterday. Really uncomforatble.I've never had this before!Is it a new plague? Anyone, anyone?
  • Hello,I will try to be of service but I don't know if this will help. When people get a build-up of mercury in their bodies, namely from the consumption of fish, silver dental fillings and pollution, the mercury will lodge primarily within the central nervous system. Mercury is detrimental as it can cause dozens of different symptoms; unfortunately, since the mercury poisoning is difficult to diagnose, it usually doesn't get the attention that it needs.Mercury is an irritant to the nervous system because it blocks the action of manganese. As well, mercury generally ushers in a systemic case of Candida Albicans, a fungus which generally resides in the lower intestine. It is this fungus of Candida that usually creates most of the problems of which you are now experiencing. Again, since Candida "hords" mercury (due to mercury's low pH level) the symptoms of Candidas can vary significantly from person to person.In my humble opinion, it may be wise to begin with supplementing your body with manganese and begin the SLOW process of detox'ing your body of mercury. This can be done at home (though it is best to use a health care professional) by using Cilantro juice, Chlorella and lots and lots of water.Again, the detox'ing of mercury must be done slowly. Expect it to take from three months to a year.Good luck.
  • I have the exact same thing - wierd sore lump on roof of mouth...it's been there for 5 days now....any ideas? It feels like a blister that's full of fluid, and has no discoloration...
  • Any of you look into the possibility of coxsackie virus (hand-foot-mouth disease). Several sub-types can cause soreness in mouth and throat with blisters/ulcer type sores in the mouth without the rash on hands and feet...just a thought.
  • I have something very similar. Last night I noticed a small lump on the left side of the roof of my mouth. It seemed to be getting bigger by the minute. When I touched it with my finger it felt like a fluid-filled blister. I pushed on it and it popped open. When I took my finger away from my mouth, the finger was covered with blood. I recently had a tooth extracted, but that was a lower right molar. I also was on amoxycillin both before and after the tooth was pulled. What is going on?
  • I am curious to see what someone finds out about this. I, too, had a flu-like virus that started with aches, fatigue and sinus problems. It quickly turned into what I thought was a sinus infection and was treated by my ENT with anti-biotics. They didn't seem to clear anything up - which is not usually the case for me. I then developed a bad cough that plagued me for a week coupled with a sore throat that took 10 days to completely clear up. Finally I was free of most symptoms except for heavy mucus drainage and post-nasal drip. Then 2 days ago, the roof of my mouth became sore in the back behind my jawline but toward the middle of the palate. A tiny white bump formed in the middle of a red awollen area. Now the front part of the palate on that side is swelling and becoming sore. What is this?
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• I have two lumps (not sores) in the roof of my mouth (one on either side of my hard palate right before the soft palate). I noticed them yesterday as annoying, then sensitive, and now I'm in pain (a constant pain and the whole top of my mouth feels swollen)!!! Tylenol, Advil, aspirin, Orajel...nothing takes the edge off. I'm not, nor have I been, otherwise sick and I don't have any food allergies. I too haven't found much help online. I went to the doctor today and he said he hadn't run into any issues with glands in the upper mouth and pulled out an anatomy book. As confident as that made me in his forthcoming prognosis....I'll share his thoughts thus far. Above the roof of the mouth are palatine glands - mucous membranes enclosing vessels and nerves. His thoughts are either it's a problem with an inflamed or irritated gland or with the nerves. He wanted to start with a prescription antihistimine to see if it could potentially be allergy related even though I'm not showing other seasonal allergy symptoms (pollen count really high right now). If I don't feel better in the morning he gave me a steroid (Prednisone) to work as an anti-inflamitory. In case that doesn't work and as I'm not satisfied I understand what the problem is...which type of doctor did you go see? I don't know if this is an issue for a general doctor (who I saw), an Ear Nose & Throat doc, or a dentist and was wondering what anyone else's experience was.
  • I went to the doctor, who took one look and told me it was definitely related to the other flu-symptoms I was having - very common, not to worry. Sure enough, it was gone in a few days. I'm pretty sure it was related to the FLU. (I'm not from Canada, don't eat much fish, and live pretty remote from any sources of pollution, so mercury poisoning was pretty easy to rule out.)
  • My husband had the same symptoms but the roof of the mouth actually breaks open. He had never been exposed to cold sores or fever blisters and has developed a severe case of Herpes Simplex Virus. The infectious disease doctor said his symptoms will be less severe with each breakout but it will continue. Colds, stress and lack of hydration and sleep usually brings them on. He takes Valtrex which helps heal them but needs much rest.Check with your doctor about this... Good luck
  • i too see my usual gp about the little pimple type spots on my tongue,roof of mouth and back of throat, was tested negative for oral thrush and told just to go back if they become very painful. mine have been there for over a month. i sometimes get discomfort on swallowing ranging from left side only to right side or just centre. the back of my tongue is coated white. i have had lots of dental work over the years and dont know if this could be connected? but although my mouth is not constantly inflamed there still there and it is a constant worry. my mouth never really feels right.
    raymae 21 Replies Flag this Response
  • The lumps in the roof of my mouth were an indicator that I was coming down with a cold. The swollen glands or nodes or whatever they were hurt for a few days then eventually ran their course with the rest of my cold and subsided.
  • [I too have 2 fluid filled bumps on the roof of my mouth. It started with an itchy feeling when i was eating some whole grain bread with nuts and I thought it must be some type of allergic reaction but the next day my throat was so sore and the doctor assumed it was strep and put me on amoxicillin. That has not helped at all and i have to take vicodan to get any relief.My mouth feels numb and swollen and i wonder if its some type of absess. Wish I could be of help to all of you. I am bewildered.
  • I've had a small canker-sore type blister on the roof of my mouth for a couple days, and it has come and gone, swollen up and gone down. Sometimes it's painful and sometimes I don't feel anything. From what everyone is saying, if it's this type, small blister like that comes and goes, it could be an effect of a suppressed immune system. I'm not going to keep worrying because that will only make it worse. I'm sure if something doesn't go away for 3 weeks, it's fair to have a Dr. see it and get a culture of it or blood tests to see if there is any virus. Naturopathic Dr.s probably also have good natural therapy for minor infections like this.
  • I, just like most of you, have a swollen tender spot on the roof of my mouth. I had little white patches on my tonsils and they were swollen and painful too. I have had a pretty rough cold/sinus issue for 7 days now. The lump on the roof of my mouth started 3 days ago. I went to my doctor and he prescribed me some penicillin and it hasn't helped my mouth at all. It would be really nice if I knew this wasn't something serious. *edit - I don't have any sores or blisters in my mouth.
    99-LS1-SS 4 Replies Flag this Response
  • This is to the people that have blood in their mucous. Historically, I have never had blood in my mucous for any cold or virus. I have had bloody mucous for the last two days. It seems to only come out of the side that the swollen "mass" in my mouth is on. Is anyone else noticing something similar to this or is it just a coincidence? The swollen part of my mouth seems to be getting sorer a time goes on. Maybe my pain medicine is wearing off.
    99-LS1-SS 4 Replies Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement