Discussions By Condition: Ears, Nose, Mouth & Throat conditions

Swelling in roof of mouth

• Posted By: Anonymous
  • February 13, 2007
  • 08:27 PM

Last week I had a fairly bad cold (or at least I think it was a cold) with the normal cough, lots of junk in my throat, lots of postnasal drip. I had a terribly sore throat for five days which probably had a lot to do with the drainage. There was blood also in what I was blowing out of my nose as well as the stuff that I was coughing up from my throat and it hadn't gotten any better by the end of the week either. On Friday I woke up with fairly sore lymph nodes on both sides of my neck and on the left side of the roof of my mouth I had a lump or a swollen spot or whatever you want to call it. It felt about the size of a dime and was just there when I woke up. I decided to go to see my GP about the soreness in my lymph nodes and because I still had quite a bit of blood in my mucous. He did all the routine stuff and said that he thought it was probably just a virus but because of the blood he was going to prescribe me some antibiotics just in case a bacterial infection tried setting up. I forgot while I was there to ask him about the roof of my mouth, but called back later to let him know about it and he said that it was probably from the virus as well and wasn't anything to worry about and to let him know if it didn't go away in a week or two. Of course, like everyone else I started looking online to see if I could find out why it might have been swollen and everything I have found is SCARY! Just about the only thing I can find associated with a swollen area or lump on the roof of your mouth is cancerous but since this occurred fairly rapidly at the same time as my cold I just don't know. I can see using a mirror and flashlight that it is just a sort of raised spot that was fairly red or at least a hotter pink than that of the lining around it. I don't really see a spot in the middle or anything like that and it sort of hurt when I ate and pressed against it on the first couple of days (Friday and Saturday) but it doesn't hurt so much anymore and I really can't tell if it has gone down any or not. Sometimes I think that it has and sometimes I think it hasn't. I just wanted to know if you guys could give me a little bit of insight with this. Is this something that can happen with a cold virus or do I need to be a bit more proactive and go to an ENT?

Reply Flag this Discussion
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement