Discussions By Condition: Medical Stories

broken wrist nerve damage?

Posted In: Medical Stories 12 Replies
  • Posted By: nermal34
  • February 12, 2007
  • 09:16 PM

hi all
not sure if i'm posting in the right place...

i broke my wrist (colles fracture?) 2 weeks ago...doc did a reduction, casted it..xrays showed it was set a bit low..reset it, recasted it..seems ok However i have been having numbness in my thumb since day one ... it is on the tip of the thumb running down the outside..no pain at all, just tingly all the time..the middle joint looks bruised but doesnt hurt at all

doc didnt tell me anything about it and i wonder if the nerve is damaged?

thanks for any advice

Reply Flag this Discussion

12 Replies:

• hi all not sure if i'm posting in the right place...i broke my wrist (colles fracture?) 2 weeks ago...doc did a reduction, casted it..xrays showed it was set a bit low..reset it, recasted it..seems ok However i have been having numbness in my thumb since day one ... it is on the tip of the thumb running down the outside..no pain at all, just tingly all the time..the middle joint looks bruised but doesnt hurt at alldoc didnt tell me anything about it and i wonder if the nerve is damaged?thanks for any adviceHi, I had tingling in my thumb too. I had broken my wrist in two places. One was a hairline fracture on the top thumb side and the other on the wrist bone that sticks (broke it right off) on the pinky side and I damaged the joint under that bone. Bad fall. I did this two years ago and still have some problems with it. It's always stiff and I have a hard time picking up sewing needles. Or anything real small. The numbness in my thumb did go away once the darn cast was off. I think it was just the cast doing it. Not being able to move my hand at all. I wore that thing for 3 months. I had god awful bruises and they lasted well over the 3 months I had the cast on. Whatever you do don't get your cast wet. I did and I regreted so bad, the Doc took it off and I almost hit the roof. It didn't hurt as bad when I first broke it as it did half way through. Ohhh. Badddd
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 21, 2007
    • 04:22 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I just googled "broken wrist" + "numb thumb" because I have the same problem. I broke my radius on 1/26 and should get the cast off next week. The top inside of my thumb has been numb this whole time. Hoping very much that the numbness goes away. I have been told that acupuncture works well for nerve damage, if that's what we have. . . good luck!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 21, 2007
    • 10:50 PM
    Flag this Response
  • i broke my scaphoid.. 12 weeks cast.. cast off bout 2 weeks now... still bit of numbness and tingling in fingers
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • i also broke my distal radius and have it plated and screwed, though only in plaster for a week my thumb is very numb on the inside and i have constant pain like a realy tight thick elastic band pulling on the bottom of my thumb. doctor signed me off and says it will probably get better might take up to a year, cant bend my wrist backwards and forwards though.
  • I had a compound fracture of both my ulna and radius snowboarding on Valentines day 2009. I had surgery in which they put in two plates and 13 screws that same day. It is just over 4 months later and I still get some pain in the radius bone but most of the strength is back. I also have the numbness problem in my thumb (mostly on the outside and palm side of the thumb). It extends into the lower part of my palm...my doctor said it should slowly go away over time. My arm and my thumb feel much worse some days more than others, especially with changes in weather (a lot of achy feeling). I know nerve damage is a long healing process, however. My father had chemo and afterwards his nerves in his hands and feet were extremely numb. After about four to five years they slowly came back.
  • I broke my wirst 2 years ago my freshmen year of high school in a hockey game. I broke bothe the bones at the same time and crushed some bones to. The doc said he could set it and had to rebrake it but i wouldnt need pins. i was in a cast for 12 weeks. The year after that i broke my hand in 3 different places, twice in my pinky and a bone in my hand pinky side, in a cast for 8 weeks. To this day i have pain alot and i have very little rotation and streanght when i rotate it it tremmers and twitches, could this be nerve dammage? and could these 2 breaks be related? I have been seeing docters steadaly for the past couple months and nerve dammge has just came up... I just want to get better to get back on the ice, and info would help
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 23, 2009
    • 02:49 AM
    Flag this Response
  • hi all not sure if i'm posting in the right place...i broke my wrist (colles fracture?) 2 weeks ago...doc did a reduction, casted it..xrays showed it was set a bit low..reset it, recasted it..seems ok However i have been having numbness in my thumb since day one ... it is on the tip of the thumb running down the outside..no pain at all, just tingly all the time..the middle joint looks bruised but doesnt hurt at alldoc didnt tell me anything about it and i wonder if the nerve is damaged?thanks for any adviceHi i broke my wrist... they reduced it on October 20th 2009, so i'm taking it off in about a week. Dec 1st 2009, sometimes when i stretch in the cast my fingers kinda twitch, is that normal? it wasn't that bad but when they were reducing it it kinda hurt even with the local anesthesia
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 24, 2009
    • 11:34 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I broke my scaphoid in half on the 22 of feb. they put me in a splint and told me i needed to have a screw in it to fix the problem and splinted me till i could get the surgery. with the splint it made my thumb numb... but not that i have a hole cast the entire hand it starting to go numb. as it sits, its up to my my fingers but hasn't started to go numb in the actual fingers yet... is this normal???? just the cast restricting my blood flow? i did read that the blood vessels run "input and exit" if you will, and that if the bone heals to low that it could pinch it.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 10, 2010
    • 08:54 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Ive recently broken my wrist in both bones and had to have it pin all this from watchin a football match, it happened for weeks ago this weekend. at hospital gettin checked out next week n hopefully pins out, but last week i had a fall luckily i fell onto my knees then knocked my elbow but ive bin havin pains but they calmed dwn till sum1 decided to grab my arm n now havin pains from elbow to wrist ad numb fingers earlier today n my thumb is always sore n numb, my career is a carer n im worry wen eventually i go bk to wrk ill struggle to do my job properly wats its like after breakin it im really scared
  • I broke my radius mid forearm on 5/26 in an accident involving a very large rock that rolled over my arm and snapped the bone. The bone was in perfect allignment when it was first xrayed. I spent three weeks in a full-arm cast and another 2.5 in a short arm cast. After the short arm cast came off the doc now tells me that the bone is no longer aligned. Could a broken bone still move after 5.5 weeks?
  • hi all not sure if i'm posting in the right place...i broke my wrist (colles fracture?) 2 weeks ago...doc did a reduction, casted it..xrays showed it was set a bit low..reset it, recasted it..seems ok However i have been having numbness in my thumb since day one ... it is on the tip of the thumb running down the outside..no pain at all, just tingly all the time..the middle joint looks bruised but doesnt hurt at alldoc didnt tell me anything about it and i wonder if the nerve is damaged?thanks for any adviceHi,Me too, Collers on July 4th, reduction, a plate and 5 screws. Now, I cannot feel or move my thumb and ring finger and pinky are in a constant state of pins and needles. Having awful pain on the top of my hand, burning...can't pick up anything, put on earrings, mascara etc. Cannot make a fist and fingers are still horrible swollen. Surgery was 4 weeks ago today. Awful. There was some nerve damage in the fingers before the surgery, certainly much worse now. In fact, I have a lump on my arm, near my wrist that if I touch it, pins and needles shoot up my hand to my index finger and thumb. I think one of the screws is sitting on a nerve.Horrible, it will NEVER be the same. And looks hideous!Good Luck
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• i got a hairline fracture in my wrist after wearing the cap i started to get a numb feeling in my thumb only in my thumb other fingers were perfect,its been two days since my fracture and still the numbness doesn't go away,after recovering will this numbness go away?thank you
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 22, 2013
    • 09:12 AM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement