Discussions By Condition: Infectious diseases

Scabies or Herpes? Or something else

Posted In: Infectious diseases 17 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • February 12, 2007
  • 08:03 PM

My husband was diagnosed with genital herpes when he was younger. We resently had a daughter now 22 months and she and I both had an outbreak of some sort about 6 months ago. We were treated for scabies and all our conditions cleared. My husband had the same conditions but worse and was treated for scabies and it did not help. Could it be a really bad case of genital herpes left untreated? Why did the treatment help us and not him? I do not have any idea where we even would of contracted the scabies...
We are clueless, no one can help us, any suggestions? Anyone ever had herpes untreated?

Reply Flag this Discussion

17 Replies:

• I am not a doctor, but I think it's very difficult to mix up herpes and scabies. The areas most commonly affected by scabies are: webs between fingers and toes, the wrists, ankles, buttocks and in males, genitals. It is very unlikely the genitals to be the only site affected by mites. If herpes blisters left untreated they will be healed up in 7-10 day on their own. Scabies will not. The hallmark of scabies is intense itching, which is usually worse at night. Scabies are usually cured with 5% permethrin cream, which is left on skin overnight and then washed off. Although only one treatment is usually needed, sometimes a second treatment week later is required.Hope this helps.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Me and my daughter had scabies years ago and I got it by handling laundry from a lady that had them really bad when I was a home healthcare worker. It took more than one treatment to kill those darn things and I had to wash everything in hot water and get my carpets steamed! (My daughter was using the carpet to itch herself on.) They are notoriously hard to get rid of and the treatment may have worked on you and your daughter but not him. An area of skin may have been left untreated on him or he might have been reinfected by scabies left on clothing, bedding, or furniture. My advice is to get everything cleaned and retreat him before you and your daughter are reinfected. A good resource to contact is your local health department, they helped me way more than my ex-doctor did (I left after he couldn't figure out how to treat scabies!) They even gave me the correct ointment to treat them with and told me how to get rid of them in the home.
  • Scabies is highly contagious and hard to get rid of. were still trying to master that one. I keep getting it back and the rest of my family seems fine. I went into an auto shop, and the guy that waited on me while my 8 year old waited in the car with her giant ice cream, had pimples and pink tracks on his face. and his co-worker had a hot pink sore on his forehead. If you see hot pink on someone in the form of sores,head in the opposite direction. I've learned this the hard way, because the cdc says scabies hits some areas in waves, and everyone gets it. weve used everything from doctors prescriptions to tea trea oil to lamp oil. and they are still hard to control. If you can tolerate it, vaseline suffocates the suckers. As for herpes, use vitamin c and lysine, and that should clear things up for your husband if that is the problem. otherwise it wont hurt him. its an amino acid and vit c is what it is. I am starting my herbal business soon.and I know this works cause I have shingles, basically the same thing, and I havent had an outbreak in 8 years. May the Lord be with you.
  • Hi,I am having a problem with itching all over my body, I have very small bumps on certain areas of my body, such as hands, wrists, arms, legs, back, feet, all over basically, except my face or head. The bumps look like ant bites, and are in diffent locations every day. The itching can occur at any time of day, It is not necessarily at night, because sometimes the itching is bad in the morning or during the day. I thought perhaps I could be infested with scabies, but my 6 year old daughter and my husband do not have any itching and sleep on the same bed. Yes it is bad that my daughter is still sleeping with us!!!!! In fact she cuddles right up against me. I have had this itch for over two weeks and it is getting worse every day. My allergist has done a scratch test which was pretty much normal. He has given me a cream to use in case it is scabies, but has not helped with the itching. He is planning on testing me for contact allergies, such as soaps, creams, etc. I am itching myself like crazy does any one know what this could be
  • yeah its scabies,. some people just dont get it,. or have it but dont have symptoms?? not sure,. ive had it,. lived with people who just didnt get it,. what you described sounds exactly like scabies,. use the scabies cream on yrself,. yr husband and yr kid,. in the morning sterilize by washing in hot water all the bedding linens and any clothes you all have had contact with., itll go away after awhile., the itching takes awhile
  • I am not a doctor, but I think it's very difficult to mix up herpes and scabies. The areas most commonly affected by scabies are: webs between fingers and toes, the wrists, ankles, buttocks and in males, genitals. It is very unlikely the genitals to be the only site affected by mites. If herpes blisters left untreated they will be healed up in 7-10 day on their own. Scabies will not. The hallmark of scabies is intense itching, which is usually worse at night. Scabies are usually cured with 5% permethrin cream, which is left on skin overnight and then washed off. Although only one treatment is usually needed, sometimes a second treatment week later is required.Hope this helps.I disagree, I had an episode of scabies and thought I had a herpatic outbreak which I don't have, presentation may fool some. The reason why your husband has had problems is herpe carriers' have a weak link when it comes to fighting a pathogen or parasite. The bodies immune system is compromised trying to fight the scabies and oppertunistic bacteria , also feces from the scabies which is a neurotoxin then bam the herpes lesions will appear because of the overload.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 21, 2007
    • 08:10 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I think i have scabies. I have tese little antbite things on my hands and itches between m thighs, my penis, and genitals. my hips. my but. my chest, underarms, and collar bones. ive scratched so much on my legs its left like raw spots where it looks liek ive scratched right through antbuite looking things. i dunno if what i have to help is the right thing but I washed all my clothes in hot water. then took a hot bath and then put hydrocortisone plus with vitamin A, D, &E and 12 moisturizors and aloe in it... im almost positive that its scabies. im living with a friend and he hasnt gotten it thank god but ive had it for like a month and its a pain in the butt. with the hydrocortisone cream helm or should i get something else? how much should I apply if so?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 26, 2007
    • 06:06 AM
    Flag this Response
  • It could be shingles. It would be impossible for your daughter to not have scabies, along with your husband. I think it is very easy to catch scabies..you need to wash everything in hot water...all clothes, sheets, blankets, cover, towels, washcloths, etc. or you will keep getting scabies, unless it's shingles, of course. Also, far be it for me to suggest a herpes 2 blood test, but if your husband has it, you need a blood test to see if you got it from him, too...I did see a case on tv about a gal who got herpes 1 and it spead throughout her entire body...everywhere....it was only after her death that the coroner scapped one of the sores to reveal herpes simplex...have you thought to get the rash analyzed, along with the herpes 2 blood test...if you and your husband have herpes and one of you has a sore, your child could get it from skin to skin innocent contact..maybe she should also get the blood test....what would Super Nanny think of your situation??? Where is this child's mother's common sense???
    Monsterlove 2,921 Replies
    • December 10, 2007
    • 06:28 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I had a similar problem.. and THIS WORKED FOR ME. i hope this information helps you. I'm not sure if what I had would be classified as Morgellons, but I did have mites on me for a couple weeks that I could not get rid of.I got rid of them from my hair and face by using white vinegar. However, they kept coming back. Especially to my vagina and anus area. And the vinegar gave me yeast on my skin (made it a bit red, itchy, irritated) so i don't recommend vinegar! It is a yeast fermented product and contains yeast.What finally worked for me to keep them from coming back, was I rubbed my skin with hydrogen peroxide (this got rid of the itchy redness from the vinegar), and then i dried off and applied baby powder whereever the mites were biting me, to keep my skin nice and dry. This kept the mites away. I used 15% water soluble tea tree oil on my vagina and anus, and hair. This also got rid of my dandruff on my head.It only took a couple days of this, and i have no more problems with mites!I really think that mites are attracted to people who have poor health/immune systems and yeast on their skin. That's why some people get mites and others go into the same rooms and dont get bit at all. I didnt have obvious yeast on my skin, my skin looks normal, but i dont think it's something we can see.I do know that after cleaning the yeast from my skin with hydrogen peroxide, baby powder (yeast like a moist environment, and baby powder keeps the skin dry), and tea tree oil, i have had no more problems from mites, even though i do not walk around with those products on me, i still do not have problems because i killed off the yeast on my skin. They are attracted to yeast!I know i have a poor immune system at the moment, so that's why i think i get yeast on my skin. I am improving my health though through healthy diet and exercise. In the meantime, i occasionally use hydrogen peroxide and tea tree oil to prevent yeast growing back on my skin, until my health is better and my immune system is back up.So that's my theory - people with poor health, poor immune function, get yeast on their skin, and this attracts mites. If you clean your skin of the yeast using hydrogen peroxide, baby powder, and tea tree oil, and improve your immune system with healthy diet and exercise, you can rid yourself of mites. Don't forget to vacuum, and clean your floors, and do your laundry to. I add borax powder to my laundry.Hope this helps.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 27, 2008
    • 04:00 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I have all the signs og herpes one including soares on my vulva, make back hurts. This has been about once a month, usually around stressfull times. Neverminf my boyfriends ex told me she had it and got it fro m boyfriend brin.but, i went and got ested this week and the doctor said I do not have herpes, and if anything changed she'd call mr......but what could it be,any idea?Thsnkd I appreciate it
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 15, 2008
    • 06:47 AM
    Flag this Response
  • All of my children aged 20, 18 and 13 have itchy spots on their bodies except their faces. They've had these for two months. The doctor prescribed Derbac M Malthion Liquid for head lice, crab lice and scabies mite but did not help. The spots are very itchy especially at night and after shower. The spots seem to be more on the legs and around the genital areas. A friend suggested that we will try permethrin and crotamiton and see what happens. The itchiness seem to be moving around leaving dark red and purplish marks on the body. The doctor thinks they are scabies. We washed all their clothes, changeed beddings, vaccummed etc twice a week in the last two months. Any other suggestions would be great. Good luck to all the others with their search on fighting these nasty, horrible parasites.:(
    middy1 1 Replies
    • November 24, 2008
    • 08:49 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• You should check out http://www.dermisolution.com for all natural treatments that you can purchase online. You can find releif for all the following Athlete's Foot, BenzAway, Cold Sores, Eczema, Fossil Shell Away, Herpes, Impetigo, Jock Itch, Molluscum, Nail Infection, Pure French Lavender, Ringworm, Scabies, Scars, Shingles, Skin Tags, Stretch Marks and Warts. I recommend definitely checking them out.
  • I have just noticed blisters or pimples on the skin above my genitals. they are red and they hurt to touch. do i have herpes or just some stupid pimples?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 11, 2010
    • 10:27 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I am not a doctor, but I think it's very difficult to mix up herpes and scabies. The areas most commonly affected by scabies are: webs between fingers and toes, the wrists, ankles, buttocks and in males, genitals. It is very unlikely the genitals to be the only site affected by mites. If herpes blisters left untreated they will be healed up in 7-10 day on their own. Scabies will not. The hallmark of scabies is intense itching, which is usually worse at night. Scabies are usually cured with 5% permethrin cream, which is left on skin overnight and then washed off. Although only one treatment is usually needed, sometimes a second treatment week later is required.Hope this helps.where do u get the cream?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 20, 2010
    • 01:29 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have to disagree with YOU...I find it VERY hard to confuse scabies and herpes outbreak...how could you "think" you have had a "herpatic outbreak" if you don't have herpes??? And if you don't have genital herpes then how do you disagree with someone when you don't know what to compare it too??? Unbelievable....1. Genital herpes is typically in the genital areas (hint's "genital") 2. A herpes outbreak generally starts with a burning itch in ONE place on the genital area not all over the body! 3. The burning itch usually (untreated) is followed by a bubbly blister that looks like a water blister, that then dries up after a few days and the virus goes back dormant!!! Presentation of scabies does not FOOL anyone but you obviously...you are an idiot! You are talking about herpes and don't have it, so how do you talk about something you don't have??? All you're doing is listening to hear say about herpes and spreading it worse than a scabie...educate yourself on herpes before you try to ignorantly confuse someone on herpes!!! Herpes doesn't CAUSE a weak immune system...A herpes outbreak will typically OCCUR when someone's immune system is weak...excessive stress can cause an outbreak!!! Oh man go play some farmville and pretend grow some crops...because you are spreading false information here!!! I HAVE lived with herpes for 4 years now and we have a scabies infestation from our new puppy and it's nothing compared to a herpes outbreak as a matter of fact I'd rather have a herpes outbreak ANYDAY OF THE WEEK than this scabies problem, at least it's easier to control and clear up!!!I disagree, I had an episode of scabies and thought I had a herpatic outbreak which I don't have, presentation may fool some. The reason why your husband has had problems is herpe carriers' have a weak link when it comes to fighting a pathogen or parasite. The bodies immune system is compromised trying to fight the scabies and oppertunistic bacteria , also feces from the scabies which is a neurotoxin then bam the herpes lesions will appear because of the overload.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 29, 2010
    • 05:29 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Let's see. Do not put tea tree oil on your vaginal area as it can be absorbed through the skin there and is toxic. Shingles blisters are much smaller than the sores of scabies. I bacterial skin infection might however look similar. So might contact dermatitis. It is very common for people to have scabies mites and show no symptoms, so if family members and housemates don't appear to "get it" they could still have it. I'm not sure how contagious scabies is, however. Nor do I know if you can catch it from a toilet seat or the shower.Supposedly it takes intimate contact, such as hugging and kissing with skin to skin contact, or sharing recently used clothing or towels to catch it. Which doesn't explain how the condition spreads so rapidly among school children. Tell me they're hugging and kissing with skin to skin contact. Allegedly only if you have large crusts on your skin is scabies likely to be very contagious, because these contain lots of mites. It requires an impaired immune system. A healthy adult with scabies normally has from 10 to 15 adult mites on the entire body at one time. The mites and the rash are not necessarily in the same place, so I don't know how much of the rash is allergic reaction, and if the mites are elsewhere because they moved. I think they can crawl about an inch an hour. Mind you, I've no idea how I would have gotten scabies. Possibly I don't have scabies. If I have it I got it from the city bus system, which is seriously infested by homeless people and other seriously down and out, my minister, who masochistically hugs and kisses the seriously down and out, particularly if they have AIDS, and then requires everyone to shake hands with him, or a telephone or keypad or toilet seat. I think that minister's got some serious bad news coming. I'm done shaking hands. Or going to wear gloves to church.Dora
    villandra 1 Replies
    • September 29, 2011
    • 06:05 PM
    Flag this Response
  • we had a dog with ticks and i used something called Bronco Horse fly spray on him (found it in a farm store). killed all the ticks in seconds. i have had scabies over the years and they were impossible to kill. i used toothpaste and everything under the sun and never really got rid of them for long. finally i tried Bronco .... i sprayed it on my inner clothing because i was afraid to spray it on my skin. within a week i was cured of the scabies.
    Anonymous 1 Replies
    • January 28, 2014
    • 03:38 AM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement