Discussions By Condition: Cardiovascular disease

Palpitations, inner left arm pain

Posted In: Cardiovascular disease 44 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • February 11, 2007
  • 09:10 PM

Hey,

I am a 21 year old male. I suffered from serious depression during my teens, self harming, attempted suicide etc. Currently having a stressful life.

Lately, for the past few months, I have been getting a lot of problems with heart palpitations and a slight left arm pain with the joint area. My left leg also feels bloated in some way, but doesn't look as if it is. Somethines I also feel that I am on short of breath, my chest feels tense along with slight nipping pain on the left side my of chest.
I've had two check ups last year, but it was ruled out as anxiety.

Thanks for any help.

Regards, Dan.

Reply Flag this Discussion

44 Replies:

• Considering your age, anxiety sounds like the most probable reason for the pains and sensations you are experiencing. I to am an anxiety sufferer, and endured my first major panic attack the other night..felt like a heart attack. How is your diet? Do you consume caffeine? Does anything trigger the pains? Hope you feel better.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 12, 2007
    • 06:50 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hey, thanks for your helpful reply. I guess my diet is up and downs really. I don't really have a strict diet plans or anything. Only weighting around 12 stones, height of 6ft 3. I do tend to drink a lot of coffee though and I guess I should be cutting down on it.I really don't have a clue what is triggering my pains to be honest. I get a random onset of it, even when I am just sitting down watching the TV.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 13, 2007
    • 01:25 PM
    Flag this Response
  • If you are going to cut down on the coffee, do it slowly..Don't make the stupid mistake I did and cut cold turkey, you will feel like crap. Also do you have heartburn or do you notice the pains when you finish a meal or snack? Good luck to you.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 13, 2007
    • 05:21 PM
    Flag this Response
  • If you are going to cut down on the coffee, do it slowly.. Don't make the stupid mistake I did and cut cold turkey, you will feel like crap. Also do you have heartburn or do you notice the pains when you finish a meal or snack? Good luck to you. Yup. Tend to get heartburns quite often after eating something.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 13, 2007
    • 05:24 PM
    Flag this Response
  • it sounds as if i have the same thing, or something similar.What types of things did you have to get tested when you went to your doctor?im weird, and am paranoid of doctors and the doctors office.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • hows it goin.Sorry to hear that the both of you aren't feeling to well. Just wanted to say that i have had the same symptoms, for about 3 months now. The chest pain in the upper left part of my chest, pain in my left arm, and i have acid reflux. I went to the emerency room in january, because i thought i was having a heart attack. They did all the tests for heart disease and they came back negative (Whew!). They did diagnose me with pneumonia though. The pneumonia has come and gone and i'm still having the same issues and, still have a horrible cough. Went to the doctor the other day, and they found that my liver enzymes were elevated. So still waiting to find out what thats all about. Also, i have had many panic attacks since this has started happening. All in all i guess you could say i'm a nervous wreck, and have been since the first time i was in the e.r. By the way, i am a 22 year old male, who has a clean bill of health all my life. I haven't found anything that relieves these symptoms, nor have i found anything that brings them on. The doctor perscribed me some stuff for the acid reflux, and thats helped a little with the chest pains. Also and advair disk thing, which hasn't really helped anything at all.But anyway, just wanted to let you know i was feeling similar things. Any input or feedback would be great! thanks.
  • At last, someone similar to me.I had an 'episode' where I almost fainted back in December. Felt a rush of heat and tightness in chest, then a rush to my head. Went to doc, thought I was having a heart attack......since then a wave of different symptoms....Started with tingling in my face and pressure above bridge of my nose. Thats gone, lately its been pain and aches in the arm joint around my armpit, and pain in the middle of the underside of my forearm, or bicep.My left leg also feels heavy and as if its full of lactic acid. That said, my movement is in no way impaired.Have been to the doc and had ECGs/Xray/Full Blood tests etc, Cholesterol slightly high, but nothing to overly concern them. They think its stress/anxiety, the catch 22 being the only thing that would ever stress me is my health!!Given that most symptoms were on my left side, I feared stroke, but my doc has investigated and assured me thats not the case, that its most likely stress. On my last visit he was very abrupt really and was suggesting medication to calm me was looking like the most likely next option.....Every little twitch makes me panic now!!
  • hey guys,firstly, i would like to say that hearing all of your stories has helped me understand heaps as to what's happening to me. i too am having all symptoms ie. left chest pains, indegestion, sore left arm and also a tingly left hand - is anyone getting sweaty palms? it's hard for me to tell what's what you see, i'm also 7 mths pregnant so i just thought it was all a pregnant thing but the stress thing sounds much more likely as i'm still working full time and i have a 2 1/2 yr old daughter to look after as well. but like most of you i too am only in my early 20's and have had a history of depression on my teens............
  • i have also had pains in my chest to the left side and arms pains this i think from what i can gather is from a muscle strain as i play the drums scared me though and i think its from a little bit of stress from my university dissertation too hope you guys feel better
  • I feel relief knowing i'm not the only one. I'm 22 female, the past few months i've been having palpitations, aggravating feelings and numbness in my arms and legs, jaw and neck. ekg has picked up premature ventricular contractions, the doc said it was too much adrenaline going straight to my heart. he gave me atenlol beta blocker, it helped some but stopped working. I'm still having problems that seem to be progressing now i feel still heart palpitations only during mestruation, everyday i feel a slight flutter and slow heartbeat i get sick to my stomach and feel like i'm going to faint. I've been losing sleep with this flutter and leaving work early. I went to a cardiologist and had a echocardiogram and stress test. My ekg stress test came out normal but i still haven't gotten anything back from the echocardiogram. I do have anxiety diorder but i've had anxiety all my life and been on medication. Sometimes i wonder if it is the medication doing this to me. I am on xanax and just recently stopped prozac, i've had the palpitations before i stopped the prozac. I stopped it because i'm 22 i shouldn't be on all those meds! It makes me sick every morning i wake up and pop pills. I do not take any caffiene i quit smoking a long time ago because i fainted a few times from the cigarette smoke lost control of my body and fainted but i was still aware of what was going on, so that scared the sh** out of me. I drink occasionally. I don't know what else to do the docs are not helping, nothing is being done about this, i'm getting sick of it!I cry everyday from all the pain i'm in.
  • Aww! to the last message! I feel for ya.Anyway.. I've been sick for about 8 months now..26maleH. Pylori diag. in JanuaryUpper Endo/ Colon in JanuaryCurrently taking: Prevacid, claritin D, albuterolI havent been able to sleep for the past two nights. This just started last night after feeling a wierd fluttering in my chest. It seems to happen mostly when I'm laying on my left side. Went to the ER earlier today got an EKG and they released me with benign palpitations. It's still doing it frequently so I decided to record it tonight.Download Heartbeat2007-07-20.mp3This is what I have been going through:Main Concern: Throat• Symptoms nonexistent before 9 months ago.• Feeling like lump in my throat 8 months ago, constantly clearing my throat to try and alleviate the feeling. Felt like it was just behind the tongue and was noticeable when swallowing.• Noticed Epiglottis continuously making a popping sound repetitively at random throughout the day, still does it to this day 8 months after.• 4 months ago an agonizing Itching sensation started in my lower throat. If I would turn my head to one side, tilt it all the way back or push with my finger just above my collar bone I could fully feel the Itch more. I could also feel the Itch more when breathing in and out through mouth.• Throat would appear to randomly get swollen to the point that it felt there was something blocking my airway when breathing and when swallowing it felt as if there was something stuck in my throat. Also noticed when taking vitamins.• A few times I have woken up in the middle of the night gasping for air then when waking I felt the swollenness.• 2 months ago I started getting localized sharp pains in my lower front neck/throat.• It bothers me to talk and directly seems to be affecting the muscles in my throat used to when talking or moving the tongue.Secondary Symptoms:• Sinuses Continuously Swollen, most problematic in upper nasal passages and around eyes including the forehead as well as large dark bags under eyes.• When sleeping or laying on a couch my hands/feet will start to go numb no matter what position I try to lay in. Often waking up in the middle of the night I will wake up and my hand, a finger or some toes will be completely numb until I shake it around.• Low energy and Headaches.• Vision appears to be diminishing, predominantly in right eye.also the DR checked my Epiglottis and Xray'd my throat to check my thyroid. Both appeared fine today.
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• girlcandis@hotmail.com What u described is my symptoms to the T please let me know if u get answers to anything
  • Hi All. I was treating for Anxiety for twenty three years. I still get tingling all over, my face - I can feel wrinkles growing and my breathing - very weird. I have the left arm pain, leg pain and overwhelming confusion at times. I was on Zanax for 23 years and they took me off with one month to ween me off. Obviously, that didn't work very well.I am not a doctor but I can tell you that what I found to help was lowering my caffiene intake, caffiene free pop and coffee - lay off the chocolate - I really like that, don't drink alot - that will send your nerves into stratasphere -and try to relax. I mean force yourself to relax and take the time to take a time out - Probably the most important thing is to really look at what makes you happy. We are all trying to fit a year into 6 months, the news is for the most part bad and I think we need to pay attention to those less fortunate than us. It is then that we can look around at our surroundings and truly be appreciative of what we have. Get away from negative people, sound the positive mantra - BELIEVE ME IT ACTUALLY WORKS - and just try to do good. Get out to see people you rarely go to visit and make relationships - This will give you some positivity in your life. I didn't get this out of a book. It has been a hit or miss project for two years and it really works. I found out that I people are not what I thought they were and it has put my on a more level playing feel. Take care of yourself - body and soul. No one else will.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 3, 2007
    • 00:46 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hey everyone,This was a very interesting read, because I am here on these boards for the same reason.Lately I have felt discomfort in my chest, on the left side. The discomfort/very mild burning sometimes spreads to my arm pit or bicep. It's uncomfortable, and often makes me tense. I'm going to check out a doctor soon, but the wait is quite long where I live.Sometimes I've noticed that after a meal, and the food type is sometimes similar but sometimes isn't, my stomache will feel extremely bloated as if it isn't digesting properly. My arms tingle and feel heavy and I sweat, and I feel very panicked.Because of the heart palpitations I've been having, I don't know what to think of this. My hands sometimes go numb when I am working as well, which my chiropractor thought was likely nerve interference. Does anyone have any insight here? While surfing the site, I had the idea that it could be undiagnosed Type 2 Diabetes. Is this easy to get checked for?Thanks in advance,~Nolan
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 5, 2007
    • 06:18 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I Know exactly how u are feeling. Im 21, was diagnosed with GAD - general anxiety dissorder. I just came from the Doctor - Inner ear infection. Im realy anxious right now, and Im experiencing all the symptoms right know. And the worst part is that you tend to wonder everytime - am I realy just having anxiety/stress, or is there something they missed??? I hate that I feel this way. The worst part is that it just started out of the blue. Now everyday all I do is worry about my health, instead of enjoying life like every other 21 year old. Good Luck guys, some days are realy better than others.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 9, 2007
    • 10:40 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I feel relief knowing i'm not the only one. I'm 22 female, the past few months i've been having palpitations, aggravating feelings and numbness in my arms and legs, jaw and neck. ekg has picked up premature ventricular contractions, the doc said it was too much adrenaline going straight to my heart. he gave me atenlol beta blocker, it helped some but stopped working. I'm still having problems that seem to be progressing now i feel still heart palpitations only during mestruation, everyday i feel a slight flutter and slow heartbeat i get sick to my stomach and feel like i'm going to faint. I've been losing sleep with this flutter and leaving work early. I went to a cardiologist and had a echocardiogram and stress test. My ekg stress test came out normal but i still haven't gotten anything back from the echocardiogram. I do have anxiety diorder but i've had anxiety all my life and been on medication. Sometimes i wonder if it is the medication doing this to me. I am on xanax and just recently stopped prozac, i've had the palpitations before i stopped the prozac. I stopped it because i'm 22 i shouldn't be on all those meds! It makes me sick every morning i wake up and pop pills. I do not take any caffiene i quit smoking a long time ago because i fainted a few times from the cigarette smoke lost control of my body and fainted but i was still aware of what was going on, so that scared the sh** out of me. I drink occasionally. I don't know what else to do the docs are not helping, nothing is being done about this, i'm getting sick of it!I cry everyday from all the pain i'm in.i gotta say that sounds really scare and awful. sometimes mental illness can cause a very terrible result. Do you take caffeine alot? coz i have heard that drinking too much coffee can cause anxiety.
    thewildwind 16 Replies
    • November 14, 2007
    • 07:38 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi all, I too have had similar experiences. I was diagnosed with complex sleep apnea, which puts a strain on my heart, the bursts of adrenalin causing the palpitations etc. I have felt at times like I am having a heart attack. Of course, I suppose it could also be a virus, which may sound rediculous, but 4 of my family are getting similar symptoms. I know I have complex sleep apnea, and currently have a bi-level device which keeps me breathing. I also had lots of bloodwork done and discovered I was short on potassium and sodium and my B!2 was deficient. Since increasing my sodium, eating bananas regularly and having shots of B12, as well as sleeping with my VPAP (bi-level) device, my symptoms have mostly disappeared.
    mumzie 32 Replies
    • December 15, 2007
    • 06:15 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi,Im a 27 yo. male who has been active all my life and not aproblem with anxiety/stress. It was 13 months ago I went to hospital when I had stabbing chest pains 4 minutes into my training. since then I have had 3 er. trips, 5 gp visits, 3 cardiologist consultations and tests (including andiogram, echocardiogram etc) still nothing. but mys symptoms of laft arm pain tight chest and waking up sweating, heart palpitations and laft arm numbness is all still happening.Ive given up Tea, coffe, alcohol. Eating much more fruit veg. But my exersize has reduced because I cant do it due to this condition.Ive tried herbal remedies for stress relief, but not a huge help.I know Im not going to get the answer from here but it is good to know other people are in the same positions (selfish i know).All the bestDan
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 16, 2008
    • 01:15 PM
    Flag this Response
  • hi ime a 19yo male and for the last 2-3 months have been having heart palpitations when at rest and ocasionally when up and about. just an awareness of my heartbeat with the occasional missed beat. within the last week or two the left side of my chest, pectoral and arm-pit has started to feel a bit tight.I am very active at work and recently the symptoms moved down my left arm. i have some knowlege of first aid and kept thinking of a heart attack . i have not yet seen my gp but i think i will within the next week or so . p.s i never talk on these mesageboards but i was so releived when several other ppl my age described my symptoms to a 't'. hope we are all alright, james.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 18, 2008
    • 03:58 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Dudes! Am I glad I'm not the only one, man. I have the same stuff, I'm 26. This has been going on for the past 10 days. Two visits to the doc, anxiety. Today I climbed three storeys (staircase), and had a dizzy feeling. He prescribed a beta blocker, and diagnosed anxiety. Recent lifestyle changes: It started 10 days ago, and I felt that I was having a heart attack. Since then I have cut down on smoking. (From 12~15 a day to about 3). Nothing's workking. Let me know if someone finds the right prescription.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 13, 2008
    • 11:37 AM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement