Discussions By Condition: Sexual conditions

confused: sharp vaginal pain when aroused before intercouse??

Posted In: Sexual conditions 19 Replies
  • Posted By: theodora
  • February 10, 2007
  • 11:12 PM

I haven't slept with anyone for ~1 month and recently I've been experiencing very sharp repeated vaginal pain (inside the vagina) when I'm simply aroused, right before intercourse. Is this normal? :(

Reply Flag this Discussion

19 Replies:

• I hope someone knows the answer. I have the same issue, but it has been many years since I have had sex. More than likely I will never have sex again if it hurts so bad just to get ready.
    pumibel 42 Replies
    • February 11, 2007
    • 03:10 AM
    Flag this Response
  • lol... at first I simply suspected that it was cos I haven't slept with anyone for a while n so my vagina could be a little dry. But then the pain persisted even when there was lubrication... Also my vaginal discharge's been normal so can't really be the dryness... confused.... :confused:
    theodora 3 Replies
    • February 11, 2007
    • 01:18 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I'd appreciate an answer to this as well! Thank you for posting. I am in a committed relationship and have a regular sex life, though the stabbing pains sometimes keep me from orgasming (if I can even go through with the intercourse). It's a problem that has been coming and going for years now. My pain spreads from the vagina, to the labia, and sometimes even my clitoris. Ugh...help.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • going on for years?? omg... is this going to be like this foreva?? thought one day it'd just go away... :'( my new found sympathy for myself...
    theodora 3 Replies Flag this Response
  • i wish someone would answer this.. when ever i become wet, i feel a sharp pain within my vagina..no pain after that first initial pain, or during intercorse, just when i become sexualy arosed, even if im just giving oral... ive been with my boyfriend for two years and it started about half a year ago maybe. any answers out there??
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 8, 2007
    • 03:37 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I'm glad i'm not alone i thought there was something seriously wrong with me. I haven't had sex yet, though me and my boyfriend have been talking about it. Even when we talk about it or i become aroused. The pain is unbearable at first and finally goes away but it is like someone is stabbing me down there. I wish someone would have an answer for this soon.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 5, 2008
    • 03:26 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi Confused- I had a DNC in December of 2007. My doctor went ahead and stretched my cervix out after the surgery to help after I was healed.I have since had a very difficult time having intercourse, I get sharp pains and it is Horribly Painful!! I have also noticed that just when I get aroused it is painful and I get a throbbing intense feeling.I spoke to my doctor about this today. He suggested taking 600 mg of Ibuprofen an hour before intercourse OR take if two or three times daily for a week that way if you have intercourse spontaneously.. then you should be ok. The ibuprofen should relieve the pain and inflammation that make intercourse so uncomfortable. I hope this helps you! I know how horribly frustrating this is! One more thing, if you have tense muscles or any back problems that could cause a disc to push on your nerves or pinch them... this affects blood flow to your pelvis and vaginal region which could also cause intense pain! Consider acupuncture or chiropractic.
  • Hi Confused- I had a DNC in December of 2007. My doctor went ahead and stretched my cervix out after the surgery to help after I was healed.I have since had a very difficult time having intercourse, I get sharp pains and it is Horribly Painful!! I have also noticed that just when I get aroused it is painful and I get a throbbing intense feeling.I spoke to my doctor about this today. He suggested taking 600 mg of Ibuprofen an hour before intercourse OR take if two or three times daily for a week that way if you have intercourse spontaneously.. then you should be ok. The ibuprofen should relieve the pain and inflammation that make intercourse so uncomfortable. I hope this helps you! I know how horribly frustrating this is! One more thing, if you have tense muscles or any back problems that could cause a disc to push on your nerves or pinch them... this affects blood flow to your pelvis and vaginal region which could also cause intense pain! Consider acupuncture or chiropractic.Well how's this work...I'm a guy that had a vasectomy and 3 days later when sexually aroused I have the same pains. It feels like the tubes in my sack are being stabbed with a knife. The pain will even go to my butt. This only happens when aroused and during sex, after sex it goes right away. any ideas whats going on?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 24, 2009
    • 08:27 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Sexual intercourse should not hurt. The female anatomy is designed to withstand the thrusting of a penis without discomfort. If it wasn’t, the human race would have died out a long time ago or at the very least there wouldn’t be 6.8 billion people living on the planet. Although painful intercourse was at one time thought to be primarily a psychological condition, it is now recognized that it can be physically or psychologically based, or sometimes a combination of both. :):)
    tanmaysnv 4 Replies
    • January 14, 2010
    • 08:14 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I haven't slept with anyone for ~1 month and recently I've been experiencing very sharp repeated vaginal pain (inside the vagina) when I'm simply aroused, right before intercourse. Is this normal? :(Hi, did you ever found out what was causing the pain? I'm having the same thing and don't know what it is please help me!
  • I am so glad I am not alone!! I've been really worried these past couple of months!! I've been with my boyfriend for almost 2 years and we have sex regularly but the past couple of months I have been getting very strong stabbing pains there and during sex. It goes away after sex but it does make sex very hard to enjoy if I can do it all - want someone to have a cure other than drugs please??
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• A sudden rush of blood to the vaginal area during arousal can cause pain especially if you have not had sex in awhile. It usually goes away within a few minutes. It's not usually a sharp pain but a very strong, painful deep ache. Hope this helps.
  • I do occasionally get some vaginal pain when aroused, but I always figured it was something like... hunger pangs. Or the female equivalent of blue balls. Since intercourse has ameliorated the problem, rather than making it worse, it's been fine by me! On the other hand, I do think that pain during intercourse, or more serious vaginal pain in general, is not something that any person should be expected to endure. A partner should be sensitive about working with you to solve the problem, whether it is a medical condition or not. I have a friend with vaginal pain/painful tightness who is working with some sex toys that are designed to help, so she can perhaps enjoy sex more freely in the future...That's my two cents!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 1, 2010
    • 04:42 PM
    Flag this Response
  • hi, it could be vaginismus "Vaginismus is an involuntary contraction, or reflex muscle tightening, of the pelvic floor muscles that generally occurs when an attempt is made to insert an object (tampon, penis, speculum used for a Pap test) into the vagina. This muscle tightening causes pain, which can range from mild discomfort to severe burning and aching." i just found out i was having the same problem as well so though i just found hopefully this helps :)
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 29, 2010
    • 07:45 PM
    Flag this Response
  • i wish someone would answer this.. when ever i become wet, i feel a sharp pain within my vagina..no pain after that first initial pain, or during intercorse, just when i become sexualy arosed, even if im just giving oral... ive been with my boyfriend for two years and it started about half a year ago maybe. any answers out there??Wow! I figured if I Googled this subject, there'd surely be SOMEone else who has experienced this pain. Mine is as YOU say, only prior to intercourse (during arousal). And someone else mentioned just TALKING about it can bring on the pain. It is definitely related to the arousal, but WHY? :confused:Is this similar to what MEN go through? You know, the whole if I don't get it I'm going to DIE thing? Is this why? Is it because their bodies are reacting in a similar way --- painfully? :( I guess it would be nice to have an explanation instead of just wondering and guessing.
    DLynK46 3 Replies
    • September 8, 2012
    • 00:31 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I haven't had sex yet, but whenever I get sexually aroused while watching **** or whatever, I get that similar vaginal throbbing pain too. It sometimes even spreads to my anus. My lubrication is fine, and the pain goes away once I've masturbated, but it takes the joy out of getting aroused. I don't want these problems to affect my sexual life. So, we're in the same boat.
    SomeProblems 1 Replies
    • September 21, 2012
    • 09:30 AM
    Flag this Response
  • So, I guess no one knows. Figures. :( Maybe 3 years from now, someone will post an answer. :D Don't know what else to say til we hear something. If I remember, I'll ask my doc next time I see her.
    DLynK46 3 Replies
    • October 2, 2012
    • 04:54 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I have the same thing for over a year, maybe almost 2 years now. I asked my obgyn and her reaction was "huh, interesting. I don't know what that would be." She tested me for STDs and I had none and she never followed up about it. She seemed totally stumped and not that interested. Hopefully others will have better luck than I did. I think all doctors are used to hearing is about pain DURING intercourse.
    roses7398 2 Replies
    • August 28, 2013
    • 04:32 PM
    Flag this Response
  • This place may have some interesting insights about vaginal pain for anyone interested. http://www.cvvd.org/
    roses7398 2 Replies
    • August 28, 2013
    • 04:33 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement