Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Feel Like can't get a full breath

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 89 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • February 10, 2007
  • 07:47 PM

My husband, for a few months now, has been having a hard time breathing. He is 32 and it seems to get worse when exercising or lying or sitting. He has been told he has GERD and is being treated for that but the medicine has not help the breathing issue at all. The doc says there is nothing wrong they have done xrays and ct scans and from what they say all looks fine. But there has to be something that is causing this breathing problem??? He says it feels as if he can't get a full breath ever and it gets worse at night when he is laying down. Any ideas from anyone on what this may be or routes to check out with the docs would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You

Reply Flag this Discussion

89 Replies:

• Check your air quality - pollution and pollen - see if the breathing gets worse at high pollution times http://www.weather.com/maps/activity/airquality/index_large.html?from=airqflShortness of breath could be a sign of allergy, have you been exposed to anything different at work or home - cleaning products etc.. taken different medications, eating anything different?
    jsruby 9 Replies
    • February 10, 2007
    • 08:22 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I would suggest seeing a Chiropractic Doctor who has experience (and of course good results) adjusting ribs. I have had a good number of patients that have had difficulty taking deep breaths due to one or more of their ribs not moving correctly when they breathe. The chest will not expand correctly when the rib movement is restricted. Call some local DCs to see if they have experience doing that.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 10, 2007
    • 08:51 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I would also suggest trying acupuncture as it works wonderfully for all sorts of upper respiratory disorders. I have a mild case of adult onset asthma which is kept under control with occasional acupuncture and Chinese herbs. I have also treated many patients with similar symptoms your husband experiences. It really works and has been the main form of medicine in China for 3,000 years. Visit www.acufinder.com for info and to find a practitioner near you. Best wishes.DOM
    acuann 3,080 Replies
    • February 10, 2007
    • 10:03 PM
    Flag this Response
  • It depends a bit on what you mean by a hard time breathing. If he is gasping for air, then it is obviously respiratory. If it just feels like he can't breathe properly, then this could be caused by his digestive problems. By bet is this is what it might be.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 11, 2007
    • 04:21 PM
    Flag this Response
  • THank you all for your responses! IT is a feeling of not getting a good breath I guess you could say. He just always feels kind of out of breath not gasping for air. I will pass your responses on to him.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 11, 2007
    • 05:05 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Yeah, the GERD will cause a tightness or heavy feeling that makes breathing feel less...hmm...satisfying? I got that a lot when I had bouts of acid reflux. It will just take time for his esophagus to heal up, and make sure he's taking any meds he's prescribed. Also, if you arent already, try propping the head end of your bed up, or have him sleep slightly propped. This helps keep acid out of the esophagus during sleep, which will cause the irritation that makes him feel this way. Hope this helps!
    deadlysauce 67 Replies
    • February 12, 2007
    • 10:05 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Babesia (a tick borne infection) can cause air hunger.Look at www.canlyme.com for more information.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 13, 2007
    • 00:59 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I go through phases where I feel like I can't breath deep enough. It is very frustrating and the more frustrated I get, the worse it gets. My doctors say it was anxiety or depression. However, I disagree. The symptoms first appeared after taking a prescription weight loss drug, Meridia. My lungs were only functioning at 78% so they took me off the meds. I never had a problem with my breathing prior to that, and I have had the problem every since. It has not gone away.Had your husband been taking any new meds prior to his attack?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 17, 2007
    • 02:59 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I' d like to suggest, tests for asthma, for instance lung function test, histaminetest. Your husband can ask the doctor for bronchodilator medication (ventolin) and peak flow meter. @ unregistered, your lung function 78% is too low, has to be 80% or more. Ask your doctor about medication for astma and try to exclude everything that also causes lower lung function.I've got allergic astma, when i'm not stable I feel like I can't breath enough, have problems with exercise, wake up during night with breathing problems. Usually I don't weeze, but the doctor told me that not every astmapatient weezes. Hope you'll get diagnosed soon!
    student 6 Replies
    • February 19, 2007
    • 08:15 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I have the exact same problem as your husband. This started over a year ago now. I feel like I can't get a full breath in and I often yawn to compensate. I also have this feeling of fullness all the time and I have to force myself to eat. Dr's say it is anxiety, I don't buy that.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 22, 2007
    • 07:52 PM
    Flag this Response
  • yes, it could be the gerd, but it also sounds a lot like obstructive sleep apnea. Has he had a polysomnogram (Sleep study) done?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 22, 2007
    • 10:59 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• I felt like this for several months after having a bout of salmonella (and taking antibiotics for it). I think my digestive system was really impacted ( more acid, burping etc) and this affected my ability to feel like I could get a good, full breath. Doctors had no answer for me at the time, but it improved over time. Seeing a chiropractor could help too....Good Luck!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 24, 2007
    • 07:29 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I have the exact same problem as your husband. This started over a year ago now. I feel like I can't get a full breath in and I often yawn to compensate. I also have this feeling of fullness all the time and I have to force myself to eat. Dr's say it is anxiety, I don't buy that.I have the same problem - I have had shortness of breath for a few weeks now, I've had heart and lung scans and no one has any answers for me. I'm very frustrated and the weird thing is that sometimes when I'm distracted, my breathing seems fine until I start thinking about it again. I personally think it's partly stress, but the doctors don't think so. If anyone comes up with a solution (meditation, drugs, anything!) please post!!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 24, 2007
    • 04:50 PM
    Flag this Response
  • should seek chinese medicine. I believe this is kidney related.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 25, 2007
    • 10:29 PM
    Flag this Response
  • If he is having sinus symptoms ask for a sinus CT. Suprisingly not being able to take a full breath is a symptom of chronic sinus infection--I suffered with this over the last 2 years and found relief with surgery. Good Luck and God Speed
    emsbabydoll 73 Replies Flag this Response
  • Your husband may be suffering from panic attacks... Panic attacks can be brought on by excessive stress.Anti depressants may be needed...
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Are you taking any medications at all? Are you overweight? This could be causing it. I feel the same. I feel a feeling of fullness near my gall bladder and sometimes I feel like I'm struggling to breathe. Also, I have had attacks where I feel like I lose my breath a little. Doctors don't know what it is. I was diagnosed with gall bladder sludge but have no pain. Mine is DEFINATELY NOT ANXIETY.
  • the symptoms you described are very similar to the symptoms I had before being diagnosed with clinical depression.No physical tests fail at all. Going to a psychiatrist saved my life.I am now on regular medication for depression and anxiety and I live a normal life. It took about two weeks to get the breathing back under control.Good luckCharlie
  • Air hunger is the term...as well as GERD? check out www.ahummingbirdsguide.com those are just 2 of the sx listed...see how many others he has...good luck...mommy cat
    mommy cat 1,654 Replies Flag this Response
  • For the person who was on Meridia. Has your physician checked you for pulmonary hypertension? This drug was pulled off the market for that reason. I am assuming that it was looked at. If not I would ask to be tested.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 28, 2007
    • 03:07 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement