Discussions By Condition: Gastrointestinal conditions

dull pain in lower intestinal area

Posted In: Gastrointestinal conditions 4 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • February 10, 2007
  • 05:46 PM

What started out as an occasional dull ache in my lower left intestinal area (just above my left hip bone) is now a daily annoyance. My intestines are very active and at times noisy to the point of embarrassment. My major bowel movemts are always shortly after awakening in the am and the first sitting is always large and firm. Then after 1 cup of coffee, a second summons to the toilet results in a more diarriahe type of output that is much smaller. I have eliminated whole milks, cheeses, beef, pork from diet for several months. Eat primarily raw or cooked vegetables, brown or wild rices, pastas, fish, a little chicken. For the most part very healthy with good energy levels. Take a digestive enzyme and usually eat fat free yogurt for breakfast. Found that yogurt helps my digestion. Have not visited a gastro doc yet. Mother had diverticulitus. Years ago had a liver/gall bladder flush and a colon cleansing with good results. Have not had the ever popular colonoscopy yet.
Any insight to what is causing the dull ache in my intestinal area as described above?

Reply Flag this Discussion

4 Replies:

• Elbow!You have found your female twin! For the past 6 months almost i have been having dull left side pain that extends to my hip bone..Is yours so deep you can't pinpoint exactly where it is? I notice mine seems to lessen after a bowel movement.. My doc says its common because your descending colon bends right at the left hip and it's not unusual to get clogged where I noticed added fiber has helped...I guess I get scared because before this incident i could eat anything!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • That bend in the intestine is very tight and if your doc confirmed, it makes sense that 'hard to digest' food is going to cause a problem. Adding a digestive enzyme, Source Naturals Essential Enzymes from my health food store, has worked well for me.
  • Hi Elbow,Are you still getting the soreness in the intestine?If you are, I'd certainly recommend a colonoscopy so the doc can have a look at what is causing the discomfort. My understanding is that it's generally inflammation either caused by dietry problems or it can be an IBD/Colitus/Crohn's problem. I have Crohn's which is inflammation in this same area. I had the same sypmtoms which didn't go away for nearly a year. However, the colonoscopy identified the problem and I was able to get on top it with diet and medication and haven't had a problem for about 5 years and now I'm off the tablets. For some, the problem just gets worse, but for many others, if you get on top of it, you won't have problems again. You just need to deal with it sooner rather than later.
  • You are correct and I plan to have one soon. Been putting it off for toooo long.
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement