Discussions By Condition: Medical Stories

Genital warts with negative HPV test?

Posted In: Medical Stories 15 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • February 9, 2007
  • 10:40 PM

Age 35, have never had an abnormal Pap smear, and am tested for STDs and have Paps regularly. I had a somewhat itchy "**m" (generaly only after shaving there), and asked my doctor to take a look, thinking maybe a hemorrhoid? I did notice bumps, but no different than those I see/feel when shaving my bikini line. My doctor quickly diagnosed as genital warts and froze them off. All tests were negative with a normal Pap.

Wouldn't it show up in an HPV test and/or Pap test if I had genital warts?

Reply Flag this Discussion

15 Replies:

• Possible expinations:1) They were most likely skin tags, not warts (condyloma acuminatum). Was it sent to a pathologists? If not, take the wart thing with a grain of salt. 2) Just because you have a wart on the perianal skin does not mean you should have HPV in your cervical mucosa.3) The HPV probes (DNA test) might not detect the stain you had (there are MANY stains of HPV). Condyloma acuminatum is caused, most commonly, by 6 and 11, which is covered in most nucleic acid testing (6,11,16,18,31,35,39,42,43,44,45,51,52,56,58,59,69)Hope this helps.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 10, 2007
    • 11:43 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Well I was told by my doctor that they don't test for individual strains of HPV when a pap smear is done. It's just too many. So if your pap smear came back negative, Whooo-hooo! You're okay! :)
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • I am suspicious of that diagnosis, much like you. I would think he needs to have biopsied the "thing". Perhaps it is molloscum contagium. Does it come and go or just hang around? If it comes and goes, you need a blood test for herpes 2. If the doctor froze them off, maybe it was just skin tags or mollosscum and he was wrong. Maybe just irritation from shaving there. I think he was wrong to do what he did without the pathology report. Now you won't know.
    Monsterlove 2,921 Replies Flag this Response
  • ok so i had a pap smear test about a month and a half ago. it was negative. i recently started having these bumps down there. i used a realy crappy razor and waxed as well. i waxed over some bumps. i became worried about the bumps and so i went to the walk in clinic. he told me it was a genital warts. I am afraid, sceptical and potencially in denial. He did not conduct a smear from the bump, or do a pap to give me these results. anyway he put some "treatment" on it. i still havent recived a formal diagnosis. how can i be sure that this doctor isnt just taking a guess? im scared!
    smith37 3 Replies Flag this Response
  • Get a second opinion from a dermatologist or Planned Parenthood.
  • That sounds like Anal warts - which are seperate to vaginal warts , some strains anyhow. and u arent going to get cervical cancer from that strain. rest peacefully
    danny cube 24 Replies Flag this Response
  • oh boythe bump is above my vagina...much above the opening. there is another one but it doesnt hurt or look alarming. how can they be anal warts? dotn they have to be back there? i duno. i am going to get a blood test in a few days. ive done enough browsing to know this blood test has othing to do with my conern about genital warts, but its another step to feeling safe. should i get another pap test?
  • could be moloscum contagium; get blood tested for herpes 2 and syphilis, but it you have recently had a pap, I don't know what a new one would show.
  • lol. yea. my boyfriend was a bit upset. I mean std's are possible, but please give me some formal and appropriate confirmation. he didnt even mention to refrain from sex, nor that my boyfriend be tested as well. I am going to another doctor tomorrow morning. i need to find out if taking another pap test will reveal a hpv-genital warts strand? can it? I have read in other places onlin tht pap test does not test for hpv UNLESS it were reported positive. is this the case?
  • lol. yea. my boyfriend was a bit upset. I mean std's are possible, but please give me some formal and appropriate confirmation. he didnt even mention to refrain from sex, nor that my boyfriend be tested as well. I am going to another doctor tomorrow morning. i need to find out if taking another pap test will reveal a hpv-genital warts strand? can it? I have read in other places onlin tht pap test does not test for hpv UNLESS it were reported positive. is this the case?okay im going through the same situation..but no the pap will only reveal malignancies (changes of the cell) on your cervix...the hpv test is seperate..so you would get the pap smear as well at the hpv test...im confused because they diagnosed me with genital warts but im negative for hpv so makes no sence whats even worse the gyno tells me your fine no need to do anything about it..im like hello i wana get rid of it.. there all morons! im going to see a different gyn next week
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 22, 2008
    • 08:52 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Your pap may have come back negative for the "high-risk" hpv, which is the strand that causes cervical cancer. In order to confirm the genital warts diagnosis, you need to ask you doctor to have the pap smear specifically tested for the "low-risk" one which is the one that actually causes the warts. So you may be negative for the high risk, but still need to check the "low risk".
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 18, 2010
    • 01:36 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• I think it's better to contact the doctor, before you jump to conclusions. Genital warts come from and what actions you should take in order to get rid of them.
    Zachariah 2 Replies
    • February 23, 2010
    • 04:52 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I could have sworn I had Genital Warts, it was so bad down there! And I am married and totally freaked out, my DR did every test possible and it turned out that since I have Crohn's disease I had Vaginal Skin Tags. I got then from Shaving.. Its so embarrassing! Good thing I'm married and my husband doesn't care. I do not have HPV!
  • I could have sworn I had Genital Warts, it was so bad down there! And I am married and totally freaked out, my DR did every test possible and it turned out that since I have Crohn's disease I had Vaginal Skin Tags. I got then from Shaving.. Its so embarrassing! Good thing I'm married and my husband doesn't care. I do not have HPV!Your husband could have cheated. I don't know why some women think that being married, you can't get STD's. Women should have their husbands' tested on a regular basis just because. And I mean just because, because most men cheat. It's just a known fact, even if you think your husband is the sweetest guy in the world. I have had a conversation with a few call girls and mostly all of their clients are married and they said that they are there by when their wives call or vice versus and make up a lie while they is right there. Check out eros.com ladies! I'm not saying all of them do but most of them do so be aware.
  • Age 35, have never had an abnormal Pap smear, and am tested for STDs and have Paps regularly. I had a somewhat itchy "**m" (generaly only after shaving there), and asked my doctor to take a look, thinking maybe a hemorrhoid? I did notice bumps, but no different than those I see/feel when shaving my bikini line. My doctor quickly diagnosed as genital warts and froze them off. All tests were negative with a normal Pap. Wouldn't it show up in an HPV test and/or Pap test if I had genital warts?HPV types 6 and 11 cause genital warts, so your test shouldn't been run for those specific types. Your Doctor seems to be having serious lack of experience in the event he/she id diagnosing genital warts and administrate any treatments without the preliminary appropriate tests...You should re-do the test in another clinic and if it happens it shows positive results... use the following resource for anything you need to know about genital warts and treatment solutions: genital warts treatment. You can even contact these guys and chat them live or ask questions via email, they've helped me and glad to help anyone else who has the same problems.Best wishes.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 10, 2011
    • 03:15 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement