Discussions By Condition: Muscle conditions

what is wrong with my legs?

Posted In: Muscle conditions 7 Replies
  • Posted By: jjoanne
  • February 9, 2007
  • 07:52 PM

What would cause my leg muscles to become very heavy (like cement) and have burning stiffness as a result of standing or walking for a short time? :confused: The pain stops when I sit down, but the heaviness takes hours to subside. If I stand for more than 10 minutes, my leg muscles get so heavy that it's hard to walk. I drag my legs because I can't lift them. The are burning stiffness is throughout my legs. So, I can not walk too long, and am becoming disabled.

I also have constant stiffness and soreness at the bottom of my spine between my hips. And it is always worse in the mornings.

This has been going on for five years, and getting progressively worse. The doctor did not know what was wrong. She took blood tests for MET PANEL and CBC and said they were normal. What should I ask the doctor to do? I feel frequently sick and dizzy, also.:( Please help.

Reply Flag this Discussion

7 Replies:

• Some of your issues sound like undx'd Lyme disease, sick dizzy, heavy legs, etc. ...For the hips and legs, I suggests you see an ortho dr. You need pictures, as in Mri's and xrays, not blood tests to check for sacroiliac problems or spinal problems that may be causeing leg problems. There could be a nerve being pinched, but not enough, so you don't have back pain. Get checked out, so you can feel better.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 17, 2007
    • 00:56 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Thank you for this information. :) Also, I forgot, but the burning pain and tightness in my sacral spine is very painful. And...I got to thinking when I read your answer...that in 1992 I had to walk through some grassy areas where there was no sidewalk, and afterwards I had an itchy area on my inner ankle. It was very itchy and the more I scratched the more it itched. It lasted awhile then went away. Could that have been a bite that causes Lyme disease? :confused: My legs always hurt inside when I stand up and put weight on them. Today I feel very sick, and feel like I might loose my balance. :( My legs burn inside and feel so heavy and sore, that I almost have to drag them. And my knees are sore and weak. If I kneel down, I can't get up. Also, two years ago-the doctor took x-rays of my lumbar spine and said I had degenerative dics diesase at all levels, and said that "it's a part of getting older." And he told me once, that I kept telling him more symptoms, so I do not think he cares.:eek:
    jjoanne 7 Replies
    • February 20, 2007
    • 09:31 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi, Yes, it could have been a tick bite, back in 1992. Many cases of Lyme have gone undx'd for many yrs, with people getting sicker and sicker. Look into this site, theres good people and info there, if you think it could be lyme or co-infections. www.lymenet.org . Its sad to say but t0o many dr's tend to blame everything, that they don't know abt on people getting older. I have heard that line too many times. I don't accept that, it shoddy treament, that we are paying for! At 40, my spine looked like the spine of a 70 yr old. My Ortho was the only dr that actually helped me and listented to what I was saying. He had to suddenly close his practice due to family illness, so now I am stuck trying to find a new one. Not easy where I live, in the country, dr's are limited and I can't travel long in a car. I know and feel your pain. The ortho at first wanted to fuse my spine, but took more films and decided not to. Cause I would be in for surgery every so often for the snowball affect.I manage well, now, knowing my limits, but every so often I am flat out with the back for months. Do you use a walking aid of any kind?? When I am at my worse, I use a walker, it sure helps relieve the pains quicker. Makes things like getting up and down off chairs a lot better. I don't know if you have been told this, but its best not to sit on anything with your knees being higher than your hips, cause that causes more pain and pressure on the spine....My knees are bad too and cut of circulation when I try to kneel, so I just don't do it....Get one of those "grabber things" to pick up dropped items, so you don't have more pain. I even use mine for getting clothes out of the dryer, to stop the awakward bend position..A donut pillow helps alot too, takes pressure of the spine. Good luck to you , I hope you get your answers soon, to feel better.~~~Dee
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 26, 2007
    • 01:32 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi Dee, I am so sorry you have problems with your spine. :( It is hard to find a good doctor...so keep asking questions and get a second opinion if possible. I want to thank you for the website. :) I will ask my doctor about this... I also have trouble with a stiff back and my orthopedist said the x-rays showed degeneration in my lumbar spine, but my primary care doctor said I had fibromyalgia...so I don't know who to believe...because no one told me what is causing my leg pain. Also...Sometimes I feel like I might loose my balance, but I do not use a cane, yet!!!And...I use the computer at the library and do not get here too much...so my replies will be about a week apart! Thanks!
    jjoanne 7 Replies
    • February 28, 2007
    • 07:23 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Sounds like sacroiliac joint subluxation...
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • sounds to me like you need a new doctor. just because they have a degree doesn't mean they know what they are doing.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • What would cause my leg muscles to become very heavy (like cement) and have burning stiffness as a result of standing or walking for a short time? :confused: The pain stops when I sit down, but the heaviness takes hours to subside. If I stand for more than 10 minutes, my leg muscles get so heavy that it's hard to walk. I drag my legs because I can't lift them. The are burning stiffness is throughout my legs. So, I can not walk too long, and am becoming disabled. I also have constant stiffness and soreness at the bottom of my spine between my hips. And it is always worse in the mornings. This has been going on for five years, and getting progressively worse. The doctor did not know what was wrong. She took blood tests for MET PANEL and CBC and said they were normal. What should I ask the doctor to do? I feel frequently sick and dizzy, also.:( Please help.Hi Joanne,Sorry to hear what you had been through, my wife is experiencing same problem as you mentioned above for last 6 months. Could you please share with us how you got rid of that problem.Many thankSrini
    srchitti 1 Replies
    • December 6, 2013
    • 03:02 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement