Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Smell disorder? Is it serious?

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 16 Replies
  • Posted By: pmark808
  • February 9, 2007
  • 07:34 AM

I have a problem with smelling things that no one else smells. I smell smoke(I think specifically cigarette smoke) throughout the day in my home, in my car and now its starting to be all the time everywhere. I do not smoke; I never have. No one I live with smokes and I do not work in an environment that allows smoking. Frankly the only time I am around smoke is when I smell it -and it seems to be in my head. No one else smells it, it's just me. I think people are thinking I am crazy, but I really smell these things. I even feel like when I take a breath in that I am inhaling smoke. A doctor told me it maybe stress. I am kind of nervous to keep pushing the issue. I don't want to be labeled with a mental disorder, because I trully don't think thats the case. I am having no other signs of a problem or illness other than that. Has anyone e lse heard of these types of problems?

Reply Flag this Discussion

16 Replies:

• hi. you are right-its not fun to be labeled with one, but it seems very likely. I smell gas everywhere. Always afraid the stove or heater is leaking because of the persistance of it. no one else smells it. I dont have any medical reasons for it yet. But i do have obsessive compulsive disorder(mild) and sensory integration(severe). OCD is a psychiatric disorder, but sensory integration is more of a physical disorder. are you sensitive to how clothes feel, food taste or texture, sounds or visual things like bright light, flouresant bulb flashes,etc? or under sensitive to these things? sorry, these are the only answers i have for you. maybe someone else has other ideas- but it definetly a consideration. good luck :)
    kamsae 88 Replies
    • February 11, 2007
    • 04:20 PM
    Flag this Response
  • You can actually describe these sensations as hallucinations, but to be fair I think everybody has thought they have smelt something they haven't at one time or another. The best thing to do is just ignore it. If you don't, you will drive yourself crazy. There are medical conditions that can cause smelling distortion, including sinus problems. If it persists you should see a doctor.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 11, 2007
    • 04:36 PM
    Flag this Response
  • It's an olfactory hallucination. More specifically, dysosmia. It can be caused by a physical problem, or mental. Read more: http://www.healthatoz.com/healthatoz/Atoz/common/standard/transform.jsp?requestURI=/healthatoz/Atoz/ency/smelling_disorders.jsp
    deadlysauce 67 Replies
    • February 12, 2007
    • 10:09 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi I was recently told by an ENT that the smell of cigarette smoke I constantly smell too is a problem in my temporal lobe. I am going for an MRI Tuesday and though he said it may not show anything he advised it. I have a followup with a Neurologist after that. I hope this helps. I'll let you know if I find anything else out - I have been searching for an answer for this for almost 2 years - the smell makes me react like I do to "real" "explainable" cigarette smoke. I can't breath, chest gets tight, and have terrible headaches that make me so tired I have to sleep for at least one to hours when they come on.Take care and good luck.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 12, 2007
    • 09:28 PM
    Flag this Response
  • PMark808, thank you for your posting. I started smelling what I thought was my neighbors using their wood burning fireplaces during the past cold winter days. Sometimes I could smell and even taste the wood burning. I thought that the odors were unusual but just wrote them off as a bit strange. When the weather got warm enough that I knew the neighbors were not using their wood burning fireplaces and I still smelled the smoke, the I knew something was just not right. Then I did a random search on the internet and found out that I was not the only one affected. Some of us smell what we think are cigarettes and some of us smell logs burning. Many have posted what they think might be a possible common cause but of all the postings that I have read, I have not found a commonality that would link us all together. I truly don't have a clue.I seem to be affected more when I am relaxing. But I had a strong spell last Sunday while playing golf.If anyone has any suggestions, I for one am interested in finding a solution for this medical condition.Thanks and Good Health everyone...Deryle
    sots06 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • I have had the same problem since earlier this year. The odor I smelled originally was almost like ink from newsprint. Now it has developed into a repulsive musty smell. It's driving me crazy! I have considered killing myself because of it. I cannot take one more day of this!!Just finished another day of research and ran across these:http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/symptoms/breath_odor/book-causes-4c.htm and http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/symptoms/breath_odor/book-causes-1c.htm. I hope these help...they are from this site. After reading these, I recall that around that time, I fell asleep on the toilet and fell off and cracked my head on the tile floor. Hmmm. I'll take these sites printed out to my doctor. Would that be a neurologist?? Mine sucks. I'm looking to replace him...bad timing!! Good luck to everyone.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • PMark808, thank you for your posting. I started smelling what I thought was my neighbors using their wood burning fireplaces during the past cold winter days. Sometimes I could smell and even taste the wood burning. I thought that the odors were unusual but just wrote them off as a bit strange. When the weather got warm enough that I knew the neighbors were not using their wood burning fireplaces and I still smelled the smoke, the I knew something was just not right. Then I did a random search on the internet and found out that I was not the only one affected. Some of us smell what we think are cigarettes and some of us smell logs burning. Many have posted what they think might be a possible common cause but of all the postings that I have read, I have not found a commonality that would link us all together. I truly don't have a clue.I seem to be affected more when I am relaxing. But I had a strong spell last Sunday while playing golf.If anyone has any suggestions, I for one am interested in finding a solution for this medical condition.Thanks and Good Health everyone...DeryleWow - so glad I found this. I have been smelling cigarette smoke on and off for over 5 years. I notice it's much worse during very dry conditions, so I'm wondering if there is something way inside my nose that is just dried out and affecting my sense of smell. It drives me nuts, but I find temporary relief by covering my nose (usually with my shirt) for a bit. Seems like the more moisture I can get in there, the better. I spoke with a doctor about this 5 years ago but she looked at me like I was nuts. She gave me some kind of solution to spray up there, which helps for about 5 minutes, before the smell comes back....Has anyone else found anything to relieve the symptoms?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 30, 2010
    • 02:24 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I don't think we're crazy... crazy people don't worry about "being crazy" they always just insist they aren't :PSo I went to my boyfriend's mother's house for Christmas (she and her boyfriend are smokers). I have asthma so they usually try not to smoke in the house while I'm there...but of course the smoke smell doesn't quite leave the house. When I returned home, I felt like I just left a club when smoking there was permitted -- drenched in gross cigarette smoke, as though smoke was oozing out of my pores. I showered and went to bed, all was normal. The following evening watching TV, I smelled smoke and there are no smokers at home. I thought it was residue left in my lungs...and then it happened again the following night. Now it happens during the day. It's so bad I feel my chest tightening and burning as though someone is blowing smoke in my face. I get relief when I go outside but I'm starting to smell it on occasion outside too.I worried that it was some tumor -- akin to smelling burning toast. But I googled it and, apparently, this happens a lot. I'm going to my GP either way and see from there
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 1, 2011
    • 02:49 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi. I've just started experiencing this phantom smell thing a few weeks ago.....wood burning. Yes, it does seem absolutely real and makes my nasal passages and my throat dry and tight. I found this sight, which put my mind at ease somewhat, and at least made me feel like I wasn't crazy and I might not have a debilitating disease. Will run this past my gp in a few weeks, though. Hope this helps someone.http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/QAA400682/Phantosmia-Smelling-Smoke-All-the-Time.html
  • Hi. I've just started experiencing this phantom smell thing a few weeks ago.....wood burning. Yes, it does seem absolutely real and makes my nasal passages and my throat dry and tight. I found this sight, which put my mind at ease somewhat, and at least made me feel like I wasn't crazy and I might not have a debilitating disease. Will run this past my gp in a few weeks, though. Hope this helps someone.http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/QAA400682/Phantosmia-Smelling-Smoke-All-the-Time.htmlThe same thing started happening to me about a week ago. Every night I smell wood burning. No one else in my home smells it. I am very perplexed.
  • Hi. I've just started experiencing this phantom smell thing a few weeks ago.....wood burning. Yes, it does seem absolutely real and makes my nasal passages and my throat dry and tight. I found this sight, which put my mind at ease somewhat, and at least made me feel like I wasn't crazy and I might not have a debilitating disease. Will run this past my gp in a few weeks, though. Hope this helps someone.http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/QAA400682/Phantosmia-Smelling-Smoke-All-the-Time.htmlI have had this problem for years it would come and go and I could not find out what it was up until recently. I read somewhere that certain people are sensitive to aspartame or Phenylanine. Figuring I had nothing to lose I looked into what I was eating and drinking and found that Phenyalanine or aspartame was in coke pepsi etc. So I read the labels of everything and took it out of my diet completely. I have had not one incident of smelling smoke for over 2 weeks since i have done this. Today I had my first smelling of smoke when noone else could in 2 weeks so i looked at what I had done differently food or drink wise or anything that may have contained aspartame. The only thing i had done different was taken some cocodamol as i Have injured my back at work. After checking the active ingredients I found that there was aspartame used in the tablets so this is definitely what has been causing this problem for me anyway. I urge anyone that has had this problem to try this take aspartame out of yopur diet its in anything thats sugar free this includes drinks and even sugar free gum once its out your sytem the symptoms go away.Hope this helps
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• i have the same exact thing happening to me, i am just glad i am not alone. and i will be looking into some of things others have suggested on here
  • Thank goodness I did an internet search. I started smelling smoke a few months ago - I even complained about a hotel room!I don't know my next step but at least I have some comfort in not being alone.
    geo123 1 Replies
    • January 25, 2013
    • 00:36 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I am also smelling cigarette smoke all the time and now I'm hoarse and I am having chest pains. Nobody else smells the cigarette smoke, but me and this has been going on for a long time, like a year, but it's getting worse. I am going to the heart doctor, but I think it has something to do with the lungs. Maybe medicines messed me up or something or cleaning agents. I just don't know.
    Sonia Drake 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • I've been having the same symptoms of smelling, what smells like fresh cigarettes burning (as opposed to a stale ashtray smell). It's been going on for about 4 - 5 mos now. I don't smoke. I also though I was imagining things till I found this board. I did a search and read in several links that this symptom can indicate a brain tumor. At my regular Dr. checkup I'd mentioned this to my Dr. and he seems to think that it's not true. Still, no one can explain it. I've had a thought. Since we are all experiencing a similar symptom, is it possible that we have a mold infestation in our heating/ AC? Just a thought. It's the oddest smell. I'm having it now and sure wish I could reason this out. Having no medical insurance puts me in a bad position for a lot of testing.
    artgal 1 Replies
    • August 10, 2013
    • 06:54 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Has anyone had any kind of answers, ever? Have any of you contacted each other to share, or commiserate? I'm past aggravated, and approaching terrified...
    Anonymous 1 Replies
    • February 6, 2014
    • 08:00 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement