Discussions By Condition: Skin conditions

Burning/Itchy Skin at Night!!!

Posted In: Skin conditions 315 Replies
  • Posted By: Burning/Itchy
  • February 7, 2007
  • 11:21 PM

Help! Each Night around 4-6 PM my skin begins to burn all over, it can itch as well. Been to all the doctors. Unbearable, any ideas? Collidal Oatmeal Lotion sometimes helps. No visible rash. No help from Neurologist, Dermatologist, GP, Endocrinologist...

Reply Flag this Discussion
  • First how long has this occured? What line of work are you in, do you work around chemicals even cleaning agents at work or that other people may use to clean your work area? Do you have any other medical conditions and what medications if any do you have or have you started using. What kind of bath soup, perfume, makeup, lotion, laundry soup or fabric softener, anything do you use? It's always good to drink a lot of water too, I itch all the time and it is mostly from dehydration.
    Nataliejune 2 Replies
    • February 8, 2007
    • 00:01 AM
    Flag this Response
  • It seems I am on the path to solving my burning itching face. Mine burns at all hours, but itches mostly in the evenings. Unfortunately I am investigating the possibility of having demodex mites on my face. They do come out in the evening/night. I have never seen them, but it sure does seem like I feel them at times. It is not an overt itching, but nagging itching, often, in limited areas of my face that change over the next few hours. I have been to a gazillion doctors. I have nothing "to show" on my face only what I feel. burn, itch, tenderness to touch! I have tried healthfood store remedies for the possibility of these mites, but have not cured myself by far. Alcohol preparations, toners, etc. are said to help. Sometimes they seem to help and sometimes they don't. If you find out the source and cure to your problem, please post here. Thank you.
    seekandfind 3 Replies
    • February 8, 2007
    • 01:43 AM
    Flag this Response
  • There is a presc. lotion I believe Lindane Lotion 1% leave on 6 hrs and wash off also low dose steroids, Wash all linens in hot water and spray for poss. off mites. I would give it a goLinda
    linda kaye 3 Replies
    • February 8, 2007
    • 02:58 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Help! Each Night around 4-6 PM my skin begins to burn all over, it can itch as well. Been to all the doctors. Unbearable, any ideas? Collidal Oatmeal Lotion sometimes helps. No visible rash. No help from Neurologist, Dermatologist, GP, Endocrinologist...This has been going on for 5 years and recently grown worse. I use all unscented products. Out of town trips are not any better so it seems unrelated to environment. I am hypothyroid and synthroid was used for the first 3 years of this problem and now for 2 years I have been taking Thyrolar, so I assume the medication is not to blame. I am dust mite sensitive and have a myriad of allergies. I will try and isolate further. When you are tired at the end of the day and this stuff strikes it feels as if you are powerless to make a difference. I will not give up trying to solve it.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 8, 2007
    • 05:28 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have the exact same symptoms and cannot find anyone who can figure this out. It was sporadic but not happens nightly at 4-6 a.m. There has got to be an answer for this.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 10, 2007
    • 02:52 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I have experienced this same burning, itching and tight sensation on many different parts of my body (legs, arms, face, hands, etc.). This sensation happens at night regularly when I go to sleep. I also experience dry mouth and tingling lips. I have been unable to have any doctor diagnois this condition. Is this a condition related to menopause or perhaps a sign of dehydration?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 11, 2007
    • 04:33 PM
    Flag this Response
  • hello there to all of you, i hope someone may be able to help, at 1 to 2 am every morning(just passed midnight)i starting itching on the top of my arm and then a burning feeling starts and then the same starts on my back in the same spot aera every night, i am so feed up can anyone tell me what to do,i have a unactive thyroid and the first thing doctor here in spain say is have you changed your washing powder ask is always the same: no:i use colf calamation lotion to stop the burning feeling then i have to sitaand wait for about 1 hours until all my body cools down and i can get back to sleep, anyone got anything similar-
    gabi_wells 1 Replies
    • February 18, 2007
    • 02:04 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Same problem here. I've only been experiencing it sporadically for a couple of weeks however. I have no idea what is wrong with me. Symptoms begin in the very early hours of the morning. It starts with a intense burning/tingling sensation around neck, face, and inner arms. It then spreads across my back, chest, and upper legs. Everything itches. My skin becomes visibly red and splotchy, but no bumps or anything. I have dust allergies but they've never bothered me like this before. Does anyone know anything about this condition? It's sort of freaking me out. Thanks for any help!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • I know this isn't a hot flash and it's more what I see you guys describing. First a certain area will start to get really hot (usually my upper arms) then it will start to itch or feel like a million pin *****s. Then my face and neck and my thighs. I get really splotchy like hives only no raised bumps. When I take a couple of benadryl it clears up very quickly which lead me to believe it was an allergy. It seems to happen shortly after I eat, but I've been tracking what I've eaten right before it happens and there is no commonality that I can find. This started about a month ago. About 4 mos ago I cut out wheat and dairy because of allergies so I know it's not thoses.I guess this post isn't helping but misery does love company.
  • I know that this isn't a hot flash and it seems to happen within 10 minutes of eating but there is no rhyme or reason to it. I usually get a hot spot on my upper arm which then gets really itchy and burning sometimes feels like I'm being pricked by a zillion needles. Then it spreads to my face, neck lower arms and thighs. I've tracked what I eat and there is no commonality. It started about a month ago and has happened about 5 times so far (one right now as I am typing) I cut out wheat and dairy about 4 mos ago so I know that's not it. My skin gets really splotchy like hives but no raised skin. I can take hours to go away unless I take a couple of benadryl then it goes away in about 15 min. That's why I thought it might be an allergy but to what, I don't know. I've been keeping a log of what I've eaten and done right before the "attack" but I can't see a pattern. I guess I'll try the dr. but I don't really think he is going to have a clue. I know this post isn't helping much but misery does love company. PMM
  • Hello, I have had this burning itch on my arms for approx 10 years in the middle of the night! Tried EVERYTHING. The only thing that works is an ice pack and sometimes when unbearable, a couple of Nurofen tablets. Good luck. PS: As I have had it 10 years and am otherwise in excellent health, at least we know its nothing too serious!
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• This exact thing has been happening to me since January 2007. The burning sensation begins in the middle of the night around 1-2am about once a week. The burning starts on the top of my head and works its way down my body. I feel like my skin is on fire and Im very itchy. It lasts about 30 min when I take a Benedrly and put cold wash cloth on my skin. Sometimes I feel like my heart is racing too. One doctor told me that I have the herpies virus 6 also known as roseola and that the virus will flare up suddenly, which releases histamine from the blood stream and into my skin which is what causes the intense burning and itching. I have done research and have failed to find anything supporting this theory. let me know if anyone has heard of this. Its good to know I'm not the only one!
  • Hi everyone.Just surfing and found your thread.I've had burning,itching,rashy skin for 2 years.It's apparently a common symptom of menopause.It's not to be confused with a hot flush,although a sensation of heat often comes with it.I've always figured it was worse at night because that's when your hormone levels drop to thier lowest point.Incidently,becoming very friction sensitive,and the sensation of bugs crawling on your skin is also a common thread among other women I've spoken to who are peri-menopausal.Some women have described a feeling of"having cobwebs on thier face"that they can't brush off.After trying a lot of different remedies,I've found pure Avacado oil applied right away at the onset of the burning and itching,makes it stop almost instantly.It also takes away most of the redness on my flaming red chest.I also apply it to my arms and legs right after getting out of the shower,as shaving my legs causes a huge rash if I don't.I never had a razor burn before menopause,but now even rubbing my arm with my hand will cause a burning sensation.Don't know if it will work for everyone,but it works for me.Good luck,all.
  • The same thing has been happening to me for a very long time. I've been to a zillion doctors, bought everything from prescription to over the counter and even on-line. The late afternoons the prickly sensations starts and the red blotches. The face, nose and eyes are the worst. But I feel the sensation all over the body. Test after test no results. If I could get rid of this I would be in perfect health.
  • Please consider nutritional deficiencies as a factor in this, especially Essential Fatty Acids (Omega 3-6-9), niacin, B5, B6 and zinc. Most diets are deficient in these, and EFA's are Essential and our body doesn't make this. A good quality supplement with Fish and Flax oil should help a lot of your symptoms. Best wishesDOM
    acuann 3,080 Replies Flag this Response
  • The advice regarding Vitamins dawned on me as well. I thought to boost my E and C intake as well as Omega, B and Multi-Vitamin intake Mine itches around my stomach, kind of a tickling and crawling sensation just about 0300hrs and on through the night.Wierd and verry irritating. And I am a guy so menopause is not an issueThank you
  • dont mean to alarm anyone here,,but have you looked up the common symtoms on the diabetic sites? itching and burning of the hands and feet are what ive been getting recently, and i looked it up on google and up came all the diabetic sites which worried me. they all said it was due to nerve damage, related to diabetes.a good many of the other symtoms related to me aswell. so im going to the doc to get bloods taken. maybe i'll get some answers. good luck you lot.
  • Your bath water may be too hot causing the blood vessles to dialate. After one relaxes after a busy day the blood in the legs pools and causes then to itch. A cooler bath and lubricating lotion on the legs.. usually the lower legs. Also not too much soap in your sheets.This has helped for me... lots!!
  • I have had burning of my skin on face ,neck and scalp, also with intense itching of scalp,sore joints, chronic fatigue syndrome, from october to march every year for 10 years. I have had test for lupus, RA, Sarcoid, You name it I have had it.I have had pneumonia 4 times and no one can give me any answers as to why this keeps on happenning. I keep fit ,I play badminton,ski,I love sports,and further more I am not a hypochondriac!!!!!!!! Every test has come back OK except for in2001 I had a positive Parvo B19 test which is the childhod illness that 5 year olds get. I had it chronically for 4 years before it was diagnosed ,then I was given immunoglobulins for one week as a tranfusion. Everything cleared up, sore joints, sore eyes, sore skin. But now 4 years down the line it is all coming back. It was never conclusively diagnosed, I was just a guinea pig for 2 Drs . I am now going through the process of visiting one dr after another with no answers.Can anyone help
  • I have experienced this same burning, itching and tight sensation on many different parts of my body (legs, arms, face, hands, etc.). This sensation happens at night regularly when I go to sleep. I also experience dry mouth and tingling lips. I have been unable to have any doctor diagnois this condition. Is this a condition related to menopause or perhaps a sign of dehydration?help help help
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement