Discussions By Condition: Infectious diseases

Sharp needles like pain on skin.

Posted In: Infectious diseases 83 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • February 7, 2007
  • 07:31 PM

Hi, This has been a recent occuance and never had a problem with it before but I'd get sharp stinging needle like pain all over my body particuarly my back area when I'm hot, nervous, or put on the spot.

The sharp needle like pain can be described like the stinging pain when your feet falls asleep.

It's weird because I have checked the areas where it stings and there is no physical marks like spots, bumps, or redness. Just my skin but It's really bothering and affects me a lot because my skin starts stinging when im taking a test or what not and I cannot focus.

If anyone have any ideas it would be much appreciated it, if not I plan on going to a doctor to check it out.

Reply Flag this Discussion

83 Replies:

• Yess....I'm not the only one! I get the exact thing when I'm about to break a sweat it occurs. It really hurts sometimes and it doesnt help when i play sports either. Please let me know any cures or conclusions to my email at ruell2@gmail.com or i will check back here! thanks
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 25, 2007
    • 05:04 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi, I experienced the same once, and i also had breathing problems. i've got asthma. I found out that I am allergic to Ketoconazol (anti-fungal). So may be you re allergic to something, like food, cosmetics...
    student 6 Replies
    • February 27, 2007
    • 07:44 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have this too and I am sure that I am allergic to something I am taking or eating. The thing I can't figure out is why it happens at night--I am walkingthe floors with this stuff! I also have the feeling in my chest like I can't breathe well during this "itch fest." Could this be some sensitivity to a medication or something???????
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • I dont know about sharp needles necessarily but i had these same symptoms several years ago, seemingly incurable itching especially when i would sweat. I went to my doctor several times before he suggested changing my laundry detergent. I switched brands and washed all my clothes and havent experienced any itching since. Seems like whenever i would sweat from activity or nervousness it would dissolve whatever i was allergic to into the sweat and subsequently onto my skin.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 12, 2007
    • 04:35 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I also have these odd pains. While it's happening, it feels like I'm being stung by a bee, and even hurts for a couple of minutes after the "sting". There are no marks, I thought I was going crazy. I wait tables in a very busy restaurant, usually at work when I get "stung". Also the other night before bed. The only medical problems that I know of are multinodular goiter and endometriosis. Thyroid blood tests came back normal last week. I also have been limping for over a month due to a very sore hip, though I never injured myself.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 6, 2007
    • 04:00 AM
    Flag this Response
  • i have the same problem it started yesterday i cant even excersise anymore because i cant stand it :/ i wanna know what it is..
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 12, 2007
    • 02:09 AM
    Flag this Response
  • me 2..and it happens at the exact point where i would break a sweat...my scalp has been really itchy for a while now, but like as soon as i break a sweat i get this pretty intense stinging feeling that almost turns into and itch, it's just like sudden stings / itches usually on my back and stomachthey dont last more than like 2 minutes but its uncomfortable enough not do anything that will make me sweatsometimes in a hot shower it happens, huddling over a warm heater it happened, and kicking a soccer ball around it also happened... if anyone can relate or knows what it could be post something here plz
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 28, 2008
    • 01:26 AM
    Flag this Response
  • OK, I figured out how to get over the stinging pain..I posted the second. Ruell2@gmail.com. I recently went to the gym to work out and soon as i get a sweat i started getting the sharp needle pain. But after i sweat more it went away. So maybe the laundry detergent idea or simply just sweat more. This mostly occurs in the winter time. Air is dry. Skin is dry.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 30, 2008
    • 08:21 PM
    Flag this Response
  • i occationally get 'stinging' pains that shoot through my skin on my stomach, usually on the left side of my belly button.they dont occur when sweating, or when im nervous...they just happen randomly for now reason and its driving me crazy.ive asked several people if they know what it is, but when i mention 'stinging in my skin' they just think im crazy.anybody have any ideas?!
  • Mine started several months ago. I noticed a rash on both of my hands between my thumbs and index fingers and that was where I would itch. As time went on, I noticed that my entire body would seem to react to the itching on my hands - when I got hot, nervous, angry, happy, when I would lift heavy things, and generally excited in any way (emotionally or physically), my entire body would break out in goose-bumps as if I were cold except it felt like I was being overrun by a swarm of biting ants. And forget standing in direct sunlight!! That was the worst. It would completely shut me down. At one point, I was lifting furniture at work outside in 40 degree weather with a wet towel on my head and squeezing water on myself just to keep my body temp down! I later began to break out in small hive-like red dots all over my legs, chest, back, arms, head, face. Cooling down seemed to be the only way to stop it. And keeping cool was the only way to prevent it. NOTE: I've noticed that I do not sweat very much, and that when I break out it is always in situations that would normally make me sweat. I think that this is important because I normally sweat a lot - now I don't. Next, there have been a couple of time where I just did my best to keep working through it, and I noticed that once I began to sweat normally, I didn't have the problem; but that if I cooled down again and began working my problems would start again.I went to the doctor. He seems to think that my body was initially reacting to something at work when the rash on my hands appeared, but that (using his words) "Sometimes your body just runs with it." Meaning that it seems that my body was overreacting to the rash on my hands and, given my "anxiousness" as a personality trait, he ruled that it was some sort of nervous reaction. He gave me a low dose of Fluoxitine (Prozac) and some oral antihistamines. To be honest, it seems to have worked a bit. I was able do things like stand in the sun for longer periods of time and it seemed that it took longer to break out. Also, when I did break out, it seemed more controllable - it wasn't so painful that I couldn't do anything. I took the Fluoxitine for three weeks then stopped. I also stopped taking the antihistamine. That was six days ago. It doesn't seem as bad as it was before, but it appears as if I can break out easier again and its more painful. I am going to attempt to go to the gym and see what happens. I'm hoping that my body just gets over it. My next step if things don't normalize is to get back on the antihistamine and see if that helps. As soon as I have the money, I'm going to get a second opinion. xx
  • Well, I ended up in an urgent care clinic at the beginning of this week - I had a real bad break-out that just wouldn't stop. I figured that it was best that I go while I was still presenting with symptoms (goose-bumps, hives, etc.). I talked to the doctor and told him the story and he was able to see what was happening. He told me that from what he could tell from my story and from seeing me, was that I had some sort of dry skin condition. He gave me an injection of steroids (catabolic) and put me on a tapering regiment of steroids for the following six days. Its been four days, and I have to say that the symptoms are almost completely gone. I was able to take a relatively hot shower today, I can cook again, and even stand out in the sun without any real problems (I actually got a slight sunburn on the top of my head!). In fact, I only felt the sting very slightly one time today, and I've been in several situations where it normally would have broken out. I still have two days left. I'll post another response a week or so after that. xx
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• i have the same thing, and my thread didn't seem to post, or i can't find it...but it's being going on for 3 years now and i would really like some help.
  • hey u guys go to this link it will answer some of your q'shttp://www.netdoctor.co.uk/interactive/discussion/viewtopic.php?t=22909&f=42&sid=2c0a767ae42a52835a94f7afbcef899ci also have this, and am also a very stressed out person and worrier. so ur not alone! cheersjul
  • I have the same thing. Sometimes I feel like I'm being stung by mosquitos. Right now, I'm trying to remember if it only happens when I'm sweating. I started taking a little B6 because and I moisturize when I shower. That seemed to really help. I stopped mosturizing and it came back. I'm a worrier too so, anxiety might have something to do with it. I injured my legs and ever since have been a total worried mess. When I mentioned it to my sister-in-law, she looked at me like..."not again." so I felt like a freak. I'm glad I'm not the only one experiencing this.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 1, 2008
    • 07:42 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have had this experience for many years - and it seemed to happen just as I broke into a sweat - it felt as if I had bee stings. I also had many come and go symptoms including pain in hips, legs, feet, hands, arms, shoulders. Finally got a diagnosis of multiple sclerosis.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 5, 2008
    • 06:25 AM
    Flag this Response
  • The stinging pain is caused by clogged pours on the skin. If you don't sweat regularly you will keep getting it.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 16, 2008
    • 04:26 AM
    Flag this Response
  • clogged pours? are you sure?i've had this going on for 3 and a half years now, finally tried to figure out what it was this year and that was one of my guessing. but i DO sweat a lot. i play hockey and do gym at school.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 2, 2009
    • 06:19 PM
    Flag this Response
  • i have this same problem. I mean im an 18 year old male turning 19 soon; this problem started for me in september of 2008. It doesnt always stay but when it comes its very unexpecting, i've notice that i tend to get very frustrated and angry at my loved ones whenever it comes. it always sting then go right into the itching part; I really cant take it is this an illness or what, i dont care i just want it to go away. i dont know what to do please someone if you find a cure please please please email me jwayne601@yahoo.com
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 29, 2009
    • 10:53 PM
    Flag this Response
  • could also be Thiamine deficiency ( VIt B1 )..
    010081 5 Replies
    • February 10, 2009
    • 10:59 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I got the needle pain while i was reading ur post :) i thought there is no treatment for this,but now i read ur post i will start taking it from tomorrow, REALLY THANK YOU SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH!!!
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement