Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

cold hands and feet

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 3 Replies
  • Posted By: GrooveyGal
  • February 7, 2007
  • 04:20 PM

Not long ago I've been starting to get ice cold feet and hands, even when the temprature indoors is high. This happens every since day since then and it seems to be getting worse. I also always feel cold when people around me are boiling hot. I seem to have become even more sensetive to the cold than I used to be. Even if I wear warm socks and extra warm slippers my feet are still cold (just a bit less than when I don't wear slippers).

I don't think I have anemia becuase I'm not tired or anything. I have no family history of anything like this.

What can be the cause of this?

Reply Flag this Discussion

3 Replies:

• Hi,I too have always been on the "cold" side. I'd have a sweatshirt on in an summer evening when everyone else had tank tops on. I think alot of it had to do with my eating habits. I generaly used to starve myself. HOWEVER, recently I have an illness that has caused me to gain weight and one of the other symptoms of this disease is sweats. So now i am up in weight and sweating most of the time but, my fingers and toes are still ice cold. A couple of weeks ago, I had an EEG (nerve test) done on my lower back and body. It came back that I have 3 damaged nerves in lower spine. Doctor said this is causing toes to be ice cold and that if I were to have the test up higher in neck, she is sure that it would show damaged nerves there as well to explain my fingers being cold. Hope this helps. Have you ever been in any kind of car accident or any injury to your back?
    miserableMOE 52 Replies
    • February 7, 2007
    • 05:08 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Thank you for your reply. If that's what's causing my cold hands and feet, I would hav no idea what could have damaged the nerves; I haven't had any accident at all.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 7, 2007
    • 05:12 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi :) It sounds like you have poor blood circulation in your extremities. I have heart disease and take medications that believe it or not, cause poor blood circulation. The class of meds I am referring to are beta blockers. There are also some OTC meds that can constrict your capillaries. If you smoke, the nicotine will constrict the small capillaries in your feet and hands. It will cause all of your arteries to constrict, but you will notice it in the smallest ones first. There is a condition called Renaud's Syndrome that causes the hands to become cold and usually turn some shade of blue. Does your body retain water (hands or feet swell)? This can also cause problems with blood circulation. If so, cut down on dietary salt. Are you properly hydrated? If your body is dehydrated, your blood volume will decrease which can effect blood circulation. You should have a CBC/Differential blood test and a metabolic panel, which will show your levels of blood electrolytes, such as potassium, sodium, chloride, magnesium, calcium, etc. Anxiety can also cause the muscles to tense and constrict small capillaries. Have you had your thyroid and blood glucose levels checked? Start an exercise regimen if you do not exercise already. Get that heart rate up to your target heart rate for 30 minutes and this will increase your blood circulation! Make sure you are physically able to exercise first! These are symptoms you should not ignore. Best of health to you :) , Rj
    Irradiated 23 Replies
    • February 7, 2007
    • 05:16 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement