Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

rabies

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 3 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • February 6, 2007
  • 09:55 PM

My 16 yr old daughter was bitten by a wild mouse she picked up. Do mice carry rabies?

Reply Flag this Discussion

3 Replies:

• answer is yes,in some parts of the world.if rabies is endemic there is a chance that the animal was carrying the virus.the good news is that rabies spreads slowly because it kills so quickly.an infected animal has to bite another before it dies this usuually does not happen..mouse populations tend to be huge;(you dont see many but they are there.)so the chances of an individual mouse being infected are slim.the chances of the bite which concerns you being inflicted in the short infectious phase before death are even more remote.you would have to meet the wrong mouse at the wrong time,do you see? another factor is that mice tend not to get bitten;they get killed and eaten,which rather takes them out of the picture. i suppose she said "ow!"and dropped it pretty quick,which would mean that its brain is not available for examination.that would answer the question properly.so the answer is yes,but i bet you this turkey sandwitch and this slice of apple pie that she will be o.k.see the doc anyway.the modern treatment is no longer the nightmare of painful,deep abdominal injections it once was!good luck and let us know how this works out.i know you are not the kind of person who raises concern in others then just leaves them wondering---was that kid o.k.?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 7, 2007
    • 06:50 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Thank you very much. We believe our daughter is perfectly fine. Rabies.com provided info which says there are no known cases in the US of a mouse infecting a human with rabies. We were alarmed however, by the responses we got after calling our pediatrician's office. The nurse said it was "out of their realm" for us to call Animal Control. Animal Control said mice can carry rabies, and advised us to call the ER. The ER doctor said he was an expert on rabies and that mice do not carry rabies. I believe your response was the most correct. History: Our daughter (Honor Student) picked up the cornered mouse in her classroom and released it out the classroom window to protect it. She had handled pet rodents in her gifted classes and was not alarmed when it bit. She probably won't be doing it again though! Thank you!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 7, 2007
    • 07:16 PM
    Flag this Response
  • thanks for getting back so quickly;it was good of you.i am sure you have a daughter to be proud of.tell her ,next time,....the base of the tail for mice!a lovely read for any animal lover is "king solomons ring,"by konrad lorenz.(he is referred to now as "the father of ethology".real science wrapped up in great stories!it was my first grown up read when i was a kid,and it had a profound influence on my thinking.i wish i could give her a copy!perhaps you will do it for me.so pleased to hear she is ok.now i can eat my sandwitch and pie(but i knew it was a safe bet anyway!)best wishes.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 9, 2007
    • 05:02 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement