Discussions By Condition: Cardiovascular disease

Chest tightness around and below breastbone

Posted In: Cardiovascular disease 2 Replies
  • Posted By: lhinton
  • February 6, 2007
  • 02:28 PM

I am miserable. Have had a major problem on and off for a month with tightness in the middle of my chest around my breastbone accompanied by heartburn, including a sticking feeling behind or just below the breastbone. both upper middle abdomen and have constant periods of belching, sometimes this provides relief, sometimes not, had one bad spell of a really severe back pain in my upper back upon laying in the recliner last week. Am dealing with alot of upper back tightness. Had a EKG two weeks ago and this stuff was going on then and the EKG showed fine. I have been sitting constantly with a rigid tightened up abdomen for at least this a month. I watch what I eat as I have digestive problems anyway. I am only 47 and do not eat alot of stuff loaded with cholesterol, no fried foods. I am terrified to death that this is heart related even though the EKG two weeks ago showed fine. Can reflux cause these symptoms??? Thanks.

Reply Flag this Discussion

2 Replies:

• I imagine you are very frightened that you are experiencing heart problems, but sounds more to me like acid reflux. Especially since you said burping sometimes relieves it. Look into various websites on acid reflux and GERD and see if any of those sound familiar to you.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 12, 2007
    • 06:52 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I imagine you are very frightened that you are experiencing heart problems, but sounds more to me like acid reflux. Especially since you said burping sometimes relieves it. Look into various websites on acid reflux and GERD and see if any of those sound familiar to you. I just do not like the discomfort behind the breastbone, especially after eating certain foods. Have been trying to eat lighter, less heavy types of food but now tightness has returned and I was feeling pretty good before lunch. My upper back and chest and upper abdomen have been especially tight with the stress I am under over worrying. Now my upper stomach area is burning. I have noticed hot food burns my chest and back. I'm fearful of ending up with esophageal cancer although I do not have any problems swallowing at all with food or drink, which is a symptom of both reflux and the other. But it is also a symptom of many other disorders. Thanks.
    lhinton 3 Replies
    • February 12, 2007
    • 07:08 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement