Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Postpartum Discharge and Odor

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 13 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • February 5, 2007
  • 11:44 PM

Gave birth to my second child 12 weeks ago. Two weeks ago, foul-smelling discharge (looks like cervical mucous with a slight yellow tinge) began. Culture came back negative for infection but my cervix was red. I have no fever, no itching, no other symptoms I can relate to it other than increased flatulence. I have not had intercourse since giving birth. I also should not be ovulating as I am exclusively breastfeeding on demand (my cycle did not return until my first child was almost a year old). Any ideas?

Reply Flag this Discussion

13 Replies:

• From what I gather from your post I may be able to relate.You will not want to hear this but here goes....I gave birth to my second child 2 years ago next week.I have had thick yellow tinged discharge with no smell since...yes 2 years now.It has decreased but not disappeared.I can feel when it is coming and when I bear down now as when having a BM it comes and hangs there.It is that thick it has to be removed with tissue paper.I have seen my family doctor,other family doctors,gynecologists and all say that it is normal.To me it is not normal but all tests have camr back negative.I have had numerous cultures,swabs,ultrasound,internal ultrasounds,transvaginal ultrasounds,treated for BV and yeast infections-none worked.They said my good bacteria was low so I tried lactobicillus pills-did not work.I am stumped and so are my docs!!!I also get a very red cervix sometimes like you mentioned.This happened after my first delivery also put the gyne doctor used silver nitrate sticks and went over my scar tissue-that worked.Problem is my new gyne dr will not use it says it will not work.I am going to have to find someone who will.Did you tear much or have an epiostomy to have scar tissue?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 6, 2007
    • 00:07 AM
    Flag this Response
  • The discharge isn't the part that bugs me the most. It's the odor. It really smells bad. I did not tear or have an episiotomy. I tore after my first baby but with this second, I just had a few abrasions that did not require stitching. The discharge isn't too thick, just reminds me of EWCM. I initially thought, with horror, that my fertility was returning. My midwives don't consider this normal, thankfully, but since I'm negative for infection, they're kind of at a loss. We're trying sitz baths with herbs and vinegar to change the PH in the hope that this will fix it. I'm glad to hear that the lactobacillus did not help you as I was going to begin to take mega doses of acidophilus as just a wild shot-in-the-dark but won't waste my time and money.I should also have mentioned that on the first day that this began, I expelled a flesh-colored object the size of a petite pea but not perfectly round. The midwives are thinking that perhaps it was a skin tag or a piece of membrane. Of course, the day I went in for the culture, the odor took a brief hiatus. Doesn't that figure!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 6, 2007
    • 11:25 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Me again.Where you mentioned a very foul smelling odor one would have to think Gardnerella.It causes a thin discharge with a foul odor.It should of been seen on the culture but possibly missed.Did you have the ph test done or the whiff test?With this your ph will be 5 or greater.It may not be a bad idea to treat with Flagl especially when there is odor you know there is a problem.With Gardnerella the odor will get much worse after sex! Hope you find the problem.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 7, 2007
    • 03:24 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Thank you for the suggestion. The vinegar sitz baths did nothing but annoy me. I moved on to my regular family doctor who did another swab and said he sees yeast. This is odd because a) I have no yeast symptoms and b) I'd think it would have shown on the original culture. I mentioned the possibility of gardnerella with him and he said that we would first treat the yeast and see if that took care of the problem. So I'm off to neutralize the yeast and hope that it fixes the discharge and odor. If not, I'll be back for more tests. And thanks, also, for the tip about making the gardnerella worse with sex...I can assure you that the smell has actually repelled my hubby so, sadly, that is not a danger.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 24, 2007
    • 02:13 AM
    Flag this Response
  • To all of you gals having the foul odor discharge. PLEASE read the post concerning bacterial vaginosis and the probiotic/yogurt remedy. This totally works it doesn't matter if it is yeast, bacterial, low pH or other - yogurt and a good probiotic INSERTED vaginally at night for 2 weeks will help immensely! You should also be taking a probiotic orally. This is not throwing your money away. It is helping to keep your flora in balance. I can't tell you enough how soothing this is. Please try it. A vinegar bath will make things worse as yeast is fed by fermentation. Also, Flagyl is an extremely toxic drug - avoid unless absolutely necessary. Concerning ovulation and breastfeeding- you should still be using birth control if you don't want to get pregnant. You can still ovulate and not have a period - it's not common, but it happened to a friend of mine who was exclusively breastfeeding and was pregnant 5 months later! It was a total surprise. Best wishes.DOM
    acuann 3,080 Replies
    • February 24, 2007
    • 03:08 AM
    Flag this Response
  • DOM,Thanks for the info. I've been using the yogurt for over a week now, no change in the odor and discharge except I now have the added discharge of aging yogurt. I'm going to stick it through for the next week but I don't think it's helping my original problem. And it's not soothing...it's icky! I am taking oral acidophilus, as well. I am willing to try anything before trying something like Flagyl but, ultimately, I need this to be diagnosed and cured.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Flagyl is nasty. And if you are nursing, definitely not a good idea.But bad odor is always a sign that something is amiss. If your temperature goes up, get to a doctor quickly. Post again tomorrow about any changes.Shula
  • Please do not listen to anything Shula or Acuann tell you. My sister just passed away because Shula and Acuann told her that her doctor was wrong and she did not have a serious condition. Acuann even told her to get acupuncture to get healed. These people are going to be investigated for practicing medicine without a license. Shula and Acuann are specifically wanted in connection with my sisters homocide. Thats right homocide. If she would have listened to her doctor instead of these internet quacks she would still be here today. Rest assured I will do everything in my power to put these two behind bars and shut this website down for good.
  • I am the original poster, back to update. About a week or two after finishing the icky yogurt application, I noticed a decrease in the odor and it has gradually, slowly, faded back to the "normal" aroma. The discharge took a little longer but it, too, went away. And I'm wondering if that might be related to the dual course of antibiotics I went on last month (Augmentin followed by the Z-Pak) for strep throat and a sinus infection. Either way, I'm basically cured, despite not having a definitive diagnosis.Thank you to everyone for your ideas and support!~D~
  • I developed a bad odour about 3 years ago although it wouldn't have had anything to do with recently giving birth as my daughter was about 3 when i noticed the discharge. I also noticed the discharge was always really watery and i no longer got the EWCM i used too. The doctor treated me for bacterial infection with antibiotics but the smell returned within a couple of days after using it. I just want to say to everyone that after taking acidophilus tablets for the last month the smell has almost completely gone and is still getting better every day. Also the EWCM has returned after 3 years and im hoping that it will help in concieving baby number 2..as we have been trying for over a year now with no luck. I'm so excited i have finally found a cure and want to help everyone else and hope you will give it a try.I figure that poor diet high in sugar has thrown my bodies bacteria out of balance and it needed help from within...I don't believe that inserting acidophilus or medications into the vagina would have much of an effect because you still have that bad bacteria through out your body which will come back! Hope this helps someone!
  • I developed a bad odour about 3 years ago although it wouldn't have had anything to do with recently giving birth as my daughter was about 3 when i noticed the discharge. I also noticed the discharge was always really watery and i no longer got the EWCM i used too. The doctor treated me for bacterial infection with antibiotics but the smell returned within a couple of days after using it. I just want to say to everyone that after taking acidophilus tablets for the last month the smell has almost completely gone and is still getting better every day. Also the EWCM has returned after 3 years and im hoping that it will help in concieving baby number 2..as we have been trying for over a year now with no luck. I'm so excited i have finally found a cure and want to help everyone else and hope you will give it a try. I figure that poor diet high in sugar has thrown my bodies bacteria out of balance and it needed help from within...I don't believe that inserting acidophilus or medications into the vagina would have much of an effect because you still have that bad bacteria through out your body which will come back! Hope this helps someone! That is great you are feeling better. IME it is important to both treat orally and vaginally for the best results, and often you have to play around with different brands and combos of probiotics to find the one that works best for you. Everyone is different. Best luck with baby #2 and if you are interested, acupuncture is amazing for infertility and to help conception! Best wishesDOM
    acuann 3,080 Replies Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• I am also 12 postpartum and I have experineced similar issue. Yeast looking disharge but no symptoms of a yeast infection. Mine is also tained w/ blood. My midwife suggested Acidofolus. I started it today and will let you know how it goes!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 26, 2008
    • 02:13 PM
    Flag this Response
  • So I found this because I'm searching. I tore - terribly with my ds's birth 3rd degree - horrible. Anyhow at my sixweek checkup pp I was all irritated and I knew something was "off" but the midwife dismissed it! I suggested yeast - but she just thought water would cure the problem. Well 5 months PP and I smell horrible and have a yellow discharge and it seems to be irritated sometimes (not all the time). I'll try the yogurt and probiotics thing... because I'm so ready to be feeling normal again. And I dont' have insurance to just get it all checked out - and the screwed up health industry isn't made for people who would pay out of pocket if it was reasonably priced to do so.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 20, 2011
    • 04:37 AM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement