Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

tiny black looking splinters under fingernails

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 18 Replies
  • Posted By: cgoodz
  • February 5, 2007
  • 08:41 PM

I never had fingernails before, I'm 46 yrs old, I have discoverd these splinter looking black spots under my nails where the pink skin is. I rememeber my Aunt who died of heart &emphasemia(not spelled right) had them. When I had 2 spliners in one fingernail, my doctor told me to put it out of my head. a Girl I knew who moved had them in all her nails, has all the symptoms of heart desease and they could'nt find cancer. I don'y know the result of her. Please help me if anyone has a clue. I will keep checking back. Yes, I have some reason to believe something isn"t right. Thank You, Cindy

Reply Flag this Discussion

18 Replies:

• have u seen a rhumetologist? Could be RA..just a thought
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 6, 2007
    • 00:09 PM
    Flag this Response
  • i have the same thing it has just appereared under two of my fingernails and I am 29 if you find out more please post
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 8, 2007
    • 07:10 AM
    Flag this Response
  • See a rheumatologist. Those are called splinter hemorrhages and are common with joint conditions. I have systemic lupus and that is a classic sign of it. Get an opinion from a good rheumatologist.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 8, 2007
    • 11:14 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I swear I came into work without them and on my left pointer finger I have 6 tiny sporatic black splinters. I'm 27 and don't feel like anything is wrong, but where did they come from... I was playing around with some mushrooms I ordered from Hawaii, but why didn't the ?fungus? if thats what it is get on the other finger nails. But it seems to be under the nail... it doesn't hurt or anything... it was just weird that they were their all of a sudden, and yes I tried washing it off, its under the nail- positioned in the back more away from the hang off point. You think I am going into congestive heart failure? or have Rhumatorius?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • try checking with a rheumatologist..... those are splinter hemorrhages. Mine often hurt,though. Generally that is one sign of a rheumatological condition, like arthritis, lupus, etc..... Not usually serious.... just one of those annoying things
  • Splinter hemorrhages are often a sign of Endocarditis: inflammation of the inside lining of the heart chambers and heart valves (endocardium).
  • I'm 18 years old, I also have little dark marks under my nails, well i thought they where under my nails i think they may actually be part of my nails, but im not to sure. I haven't seen a doctor yet cause i just thought nothing of it. i dont have any idea about my family's medical history.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 15, 2009
    • 00:35 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I'm 18 years old, I also have little dark marks under my nails, well i thought they where under my nails i think they may actually be part of my nails, but im not to sure. I haven't seen a doctor yet cause i just thought nothing of it. i dont have any idea about my family's medical history.I just had my pcp look at mine. He said it could be nothing, but knowing my family history of heart disease, he has ordered an echocardiogram for tomorrow morning. So, we shall see. I am hoping that it is truly nothing as I can't afford the time for endocarditis right now. My dad is going through end of life process, my partner of 30 years has just had a stent put in (he had triple by-pass 19 months ago), he has just closed his business so all we have is my income, I have a pinched nerve in my neck that is aggravated everytime I have to help get dad up after he has fallen. SO, in general right now - you could say life sux.While I want to be optimistic, after realizing I have several of the other symptoms of endocarditis.... I am a bit concerned. I have a feeling that I will be also seeing my cardiologist very soon.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 4, 2009
    • 09:43 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I never had fingernails before, I'm 46 yrs old, I have discoverd these splinter looking black spots under my nails where the pink skin is. I rememeber my Aunt who died of heart &emphasemia(not spelled right) had them. When I had 2 spliners in one fingernail, my doctor told me to put it out of my head. a Girl I knew who moved had them in all her nails, has all the symptoms of heart desease and they could'nt find cancer. I don'y know the result of her. Please help me if anyone has a clue. I will keep checking back. Yes, I have some reason to believe something isn"t right. Thank You, Cindy***I have them too and I was recently diagnosed w Hashimoto's Disease (a disease of the thyroid). It has led to high tryglycerides. When your tryglycerides are high, it can lead to heart failure. You might want to get your tryglycerides checked. They say many times w high tryglycerides, you will have high cholesterol but dont let them tell you that.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 25, 2010
    • 05:07 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I've had these consistenly under all my fingernails for nearly 30 years. I've had checkups and all the cardiac tests within the past two years and eveything is fine. Three doctors have told me it's nothing to worry about so I have to believe them. They are strange to have and I'm still curious about them. That's why I've found this post.
  • Ok I have the same thing with the black splinters under my nail I think its from bumping ur nails everytime I bunp my nails on something it comes up its like blood under the nail that's why it jappens when u let your nails grow long cause you can catch them on things a lot more than if they were short its nothing bad but that's my oppinion it happens to me to thanks for listening. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• I've had these consistenly under all my fingernails for nearly 30 years. I've had checkups and all the cardiac tests within the past two years and eveything is fine. Three doctors have told me it's nothing to worry about so I have to believe them. They are strange to have and I'm still curious about them. That's why I've found this post.I'm 28, I get these quite often, they are under the nail bed and as the nail grows out you can sometimes scrape them out. Sometimes they are in the cuticle area too. They are caused by a type of wart called periungual warts. They are most common in people who bite or pick theor nails and cuticles. They are hard to treat because of the location, but not serious, just annoying. Unless they cause the nail to lift or they start to surround the entire nail and cuticle, you can have your fingernail removed and the wart removed. Otherwise you can't do much about them. I actually had it on one nail, and after using a cuticle cutter and nail file on all my nails, spread it to several of my nails!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 28, 2010
    • 02:54 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I never had fingernails before, I'm 46 yrs old, I have discoverd these splinter looking black spots under my nails where the pink skin is. I rememeber my Aunt who died of heart &emphasemia(not spelled right) had them. When I had 2 spliners in one fingernail, my doctor told me to put it out of my head. a Girl I knew who moved had them in all her nails, has all the symptoms of heart desease and they could'nt find cancer. I don'y know the result of her. Please help me if anyone has a clue. I will keep checking back. Yes, I have some reason to believe something isn"t right. Thank You, Cindy Reply - I am 58 and have these also. They started about 15 years ago. The only link I have is that they appear if I have lapsed my B Complex (B-50 not mega dose) suppliments for 3-4 weeks. Once I resume the suppliments, they don't appear unless I lapse on the B complex again. I had several blood cultures and a heart valve sonogram and they all showed nothing. - Claire
    Claire111 1 Replies
    • December 12, 2010
    • 04:25 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Its a sign of a b12 deficiency your doctor most likely told you to put it out of your mind because its nothing serious just up your intake of b12 and it'll go away. I wouldn't think of anything serious. Dont let those little black marks scare you, especially if you've aready gotten checked out
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 16, 2011
    • 11:42 PM
    Flag this Response
  • These sound like periungal warts but I'm not really sure. My daughter had this splinter looking growth under her thumb nail. When we cut the nail down to get a better look, it looked more like skin with a black spot on the tip. It was very frightening to say the least. Her pediatrician had never seen anything like it before and she thought it could be a hang nail. She told us to soak it in peroxide and water twice a day. After several days of doing this, it shriveled up so we plucked it. A few days later she had 3 more tiny one's that looked like black dots on the tip of her finger. Her pediatrician ordered several blood tests and took a culture but everything came back fine. We took her to see a pediatric cardiologist to rule out endocarditis or anything else with her heart, and that too was normal. We took her to a dermatologist who told us it was a wart caused by the human papilloma virus, but she didn't say which type. After many nights of google searches, I finally found a picture online. Periungal warts grow near or under the fingernails and sometimes project out. Under a magnifying glass, some of these actually looked like tiny hairs on my daughter's finger. These warts are common in children because their immune systems are immature but adults can also get them if their immune system is weak. These tiny splinter looking growths just kept multiplying. We finally ended this scary thing with salycilic acid used to kill warts. This was 17% acid and we brushed it onto these little things and covered it with a band aid. After 3 days, the acid turned the wart into a hard clump and when we peeled it off, the little things came with it. It left tiny holes in her finger where they were and you could actually see the roots on the bottom of the wart that we pulled out of her finger. This whole ordeal lasted about 2 months and it truly was a nightmare for our family. It was such a mystery when it started and we were so concerned about her well being. It was a crazy experience that raised the hairs on my entire body everytime we looked at it.
  • They're most likely trauma if in only one finger. Did you hit/squish/pinch your finger?
  • I swear I came into work without them and on my left pointer finger I have 6 tiny sporatic black splinters. I'm 27 and don't feel like anything is wrong, but where did they come from... I was playing around with some mushrooms I ordered from Hawaii, but why didn't the ?fungus? if thats what it is get on the other finger nails. But it seems to be under the nail... it doesn't hurt or anything... it was just weird that they were their all of a sudden, and yes I tried washing it off, its under the nail- positioned in the back more away from the hang off point. You think I am going into congestive heart failure? or have Rhumatorius?i just turned 30 in april and i just noticed the same thing under my left pointer finger 2 of them and today saw i jhave one under my left pointer finger....i have a heart condition so hearing the things i am hearing on here are starting to make me wonder i had rumatic fever when i was 27 and now have heart damage but i also just started a new medication for ADHD (vyvance) and thought it might be from that....i just hope it is nothing but i am going to go to my dr. and be sure.....i just stopped bitting my nails 2 months ago and that is the first ever i have bit them my entire life
  • Hello. I'm 22 and I also have them. It started with the index finger, my dermatologist told me it's just warts and gave some something for it, it seemed to be on a good way to cure when I had the warts spread to two other fingers (randomly placed, not under the fingernails), just now, around half a year after the first one appeared I also noticed it under the fingernails of other two fingers. The one on the index finger is really bad, it hurts and is coming out, invading the whole fingertip.
    Anonymous 1 Replies Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement