Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Stroke-like symptoms

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 0 Replies
  • Posted By: taxcatkim
  • March 6, 2011
  • 03:19 AM

Hi everyone. I'm new to the forum and am completely baffled.

Wednesday morning I woke up with a stiff left leg, couldn't move it without dragging it. Shortly after, my left leg and left arm went weak. I was stumbling, slurring my words, and according to my husband, a bit disoriented. I was sweating profusely and was as white as a sheet. About 35 minutes into it, I was able to calm down enough to take my blood pressure and it was 172/109 and my pulse was 118.

My husband took me to the ER and they diagnosed me with a TIA and admitted me to the hospital for observation. The hospital did a CBC, electrolyte check, CAT scan of the brain, MRI of the brain, diabetes check (A1C), thyroid check, cholesterol check, and an Echocardiogram. Everything came back normal except the CAT scan and MRI both mentioned advanced volume loss in the brain for my age. I'm 42.

The doctor assigned to me told me he didn't think I had a TIA because I have no risk factors, no family history, and I'm too young. He had no idea what happened but said if it happened again, he would draw some spinal fluid to check for MS.

So....he sent me home without a clue and I decided to look for a Neurologist on my own. My gut feeling wasn't good about the doctor sending me home telling me to come back if it happens again. He is an Internal Medicine doctor with a DO.

Anyone have these types of symptoms before? It scared me to death and I just can't believe that episode was nothing. I found a Neurologist today and will call for an appointment on Monday when they open.

Thanks for any thoughts on this.

Kim

Reply Flag this Discussion
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement