Discussions By Condition: Brain conditions

Head popping

Posted In: Brain conditions 19 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • February 4, 2007
  • 04:21 PM

Hi Everyone! Can someone tell me if they feel the same as i do. It started 4 yrs ago but it has been getting worst these past 2 mths. My head pops and i feel fluid running down my head like it is going to come out of my ears. I get dizzy and nausiated. i have seen my regular doctor and she has sent me to see an ENT doctor and 2 different neurologist. They have all said it is one for the books. One had me taking different medicine but that didnt make it stop. One said it was migraines but i have friends with migraines and trust me i dont feel the pain they feel. They also said that i had to learn to control them but it just pops i dont know when its going to happens. So how does the doctor expect me to control them. If anyone can help. Thank you!

Reply Flag this Discussion

19 Replies:

• I've never heard of anything like this.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 6, 2007
    • 02:22 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I too have had this happen. It usually occurs when I am very tired, have been under severe stress, or when I haven't had enough 'WATER' for extended amount of days.(liquids yes, but very little water) It is a very bizarre sensation. Loud in the head, with a cool sensation afterward. My analogy: it's like having liquid filled bubble-wrap (packing) in your head, and having a few burst , with great intensity from time to time. Though not necessarily painful it is very disturbing and uncomfortable. Dr.'s I've seen haven't a clue either.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 8, 2007
    • 03:15 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Most likely you are experiencing is sinus drainage. There is fluid that builds up in our sinus cavities which are located all over your head, it causes pressure and the sensation is sort of like your ears popping, it's the sinus fluid draining from your ears or other cavities and it all runs through your head. It's a very common occurrence. It can cause other effects, such as headaches, neck pain, nausea and dizziness. I wouldn't freak out too bad about this.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 8, 2007
    • 03:30 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I definitly have been experiencing what you are talking about. Especially, after I blow my nose. Recently I caught a cold that has been going around and I am just getting over it. Yesterday, I experienced extreme nausia and tremdous pressure in my head after blowing my nose. I blew my nose and it felt like as I was doing that, air was being forced out of my ears which created pressure. After that the nausia and pressure got worse and I actually became really dizzy, started sweat, red in the face, and almost felt like I had to pass out, but once my ears started to pop the pressure steadily decreased and nausia and dizziness started to go away. I scared the ***l out me because this has never happened to me and I have been checked out for allergies by an ENT doctor, had a CAT scan for a brain tumor, and a EKG for any heart complications. All the tests turned out fine.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 14, 2008
    • 08:30 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have that..It hurts.. It feels like a funnybone in my head.It used to only happen like once a year and only on one side of my skull.But now it's happened like four times in the last month and once it did it in the other side.It happens when I'm turning my head sometimes..It hurts so bad.. I have no idea why it happens but it started like 5 years ago..
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 17, 2008
    • 07:10 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I'm so glad I read this original post. The popping happened to me today as I bent over loading some books into the passenger seat of my car. It was intense pain from the area above my eye to my temple. It was the same weird feeling you get when a gas bubble pops in your stomach....but it was in my head!! The lady I worked with tried to tell me it was my ears popping or my sinus cavities opening up, but this pain wasn't anywhere around my ears, jaws, nose, or cheek bones!! Some people keep describing in this thread the crackling and popping in your ears or nose after you blow your nose. THAT WAS NOT IT. That popping is not painful like what I felt today! Afterward, I felt dizzy and disoriented, but the pain was gone immediately after it happened. As I drove to work, a wave of nausea overcame my body and I thought I was going to have to pull over to be sick. As soon as the thought crossed my mind, however, the nausea was gone again. The dizziness and disorientation continued for another hour and then went away. The horrible dagger-like pain never happened again and I feel normal again now. This is a scary sensation and I hope that I don't experience it again soon. :(
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 16, 2008
    • 01:55 AM
    Flag this Response
  • MY 9 YEAR OLD DAUGHTER IS COMPLAINING OF HEAD POPPING. TO HER, SHE CAN FEEL IT COMING ON AS IF LITTLE LUMPS ( OR BUBBLES) ARE GATHERING WHICH THEN JUST BLOWS UP. iT HAPPENS IN ANY PART OF HER HEAD ON THE SIDES AND CAN BE SOMETIMES PAINFUL. IF THE POP IS A VERY HARD ONE IT CAN BE VERY PAINFUL. SHE DOESN'T FEEL SICK OR DIZZY THOUGH SOMETIMES FEELS CONFUSED WITH SOME OF THE BIG HARD POPS. SHE'S VERY QUICK TO TELL ME WHEN THEY HAPPEN AND SOMEDAYS THEY ARE MORE FREQUENT THAN OTHERS. THEY SOMETIMES HAPPEN AFTER RUNNING, JOGGING OR JUMPING OR HAPPEN WHEN SHE IS DOING NOTHING AT ALL.THERE SEEMS TO BE NO PATTERN TO IT. WE CAN GO DAYS WITHOUT MY DAUGHTER TELLING ME ABOUT ONE OR CAN HAVE A RUN OF THEM IN ONE DAY OR JUST HAVE ONE HAPPENING DAILY FOR A WHILE. IT HAPPENS AT ANY TIME OF THE DAY. SHE CAN BE IN GREAT HEALTH OR FEELING UNWELL WITH SOME OTHER VIRUS. IT COMES AND GOES SUDDENLY. I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO ABOUT IT. WE'RE JUST KEEPING A LOG OF THEM BUT HAVEN'T YET GONE TO THE DOCTOR WITH IT
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 11, 2009
    • 06:22 PM
    Flag this Response
  • This happens to me all the time and has been happening for over a year. It all started with a chronic sinus infection and it seems to be an imbalance of the fluid in my inner ear. I have to be very careful to not blow my nose when driving because i get so dizzy and sick. i can control it though with sudafed d and claritan d, every single day.:mad:
    k keim 1 Replies
    • February 3, 2009
    • 09:23 PM
    Flag this Response
  • EEYAH,I have had the same issues for many years (I am only 26 years old!). When I was in high school it was a lot work and usually happened 4-5 times a day. I did go to the doctor and he said it was little blood vessels in my brain popping. The doctor gave my mother different stretches to help me complete...all focused on my neck. I was also told to see a chiropractor and have my back and neck adjusted. I have been able to go about 3-4 years with popping occurring about 3 or 4 times per year, until recently... It is starting to be 3-4 times a week and getting worse. I don't know if this is much help to you or not, but I wish you the best of luck and pray that it gets better for you...I don't think many people can actually understand what we are going through. Good Luck! AC
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • There are days I have hundreds of pops in my head. Severe and loud ones. Often, other people can hear them. Few believe that their origin is in my head. But such is the truth. Sometimes it occurs deep inside. More often close to the skull. Sometimes in the neck. Often along the cerebellum The fluid around my brain does not flow freely. When it pops, the fluids start flowing. Often I have to assist the fluid redistribution by pushing my skull really hard with my hand, usually from right to left, or by shaking. I know where fluid is missing, and where there is too much. By pushing I can create fantastic pops that range/propagate along a line from the crown of head to the neck. Usually, I can tell a pop is due. Neurological symptoms are a clue (vision problems, speaking problems), and often a feeling of pressure, near the location were later the pop will be. After a good pop, I return to myself.There are days better than this, and all is fine. I will still have 10 pops or so, but basically the fluids flow by themselves.There is a social dimension to this. When I am among people, I cannot shake or push too much. It looks so strange. So, I suffer. When it becomes too much, I go to the bathroom to fix my head. This has been going on for many years. I still live, and even function. At least, that is what other people seem to think. A miracle.
  • Ever since my son was two or three years old, he has complained that his "head pops". He is now 9 years old. It is happening more frequently. He says it feels like a bubble is forming in his head and then bursts and feels warms afterwards. The pain level can change, but lately he describes it as being a 6 on a scale from 1-10, 10 being crying. It used to only happen on the top right or left side of his head. Now it is happening on the lower back of his head, really all over, but never feels it on his neck, face, ears. It can happen any time anywhere. I was having his school log it last year, and I spoke with his regular doctor, who was preplexed, and said, he looks healthy and happy enough... Doesn't appear to be affecting him, so he had no further recommendations. Now my son is showing signs of dyslexia, so we are going back to our regular doctor, with hopes of being referred to a neurologist. This scares me, as it is happening more and more frequently. I can't find ANYTHING on the web about it, and I love doing research, yet can NOT find a thing. He does get regular headaches from reading, which is a symptom of dyslexia, but this "head popping" is different. To complicate matters, our family has a history of schizophrenia, so I was comparing that to dyslexia. (My son currently shows NO signs of schizophrenia symptoms.)I have read that there is a potentially important specific difference between the anatomy of schizophrenia and that of dyslexia; in schizophrenia the lack of asymmetry in the brain appears to result from a reduction in volume of the side that is normally larger , while in dyslexia there is an expansion of the side of the brain that is normally smaller.If my son has dyslexia, and his brain is expanding, could that be the pain or "head popping" he is experiencing? He sometimes describes it like an egg being cracked inside his head. Other times he says it feels like tiny bubble wrap all coming together at once, then bursting. Yesterday it happened twice in one day. I hope we get an answer to this, as everyone seems to be at a loss. I do not believe in my son't case it is a "sinus" thing, considering it happens also in the very low back of his head above his neck.... The head popping occurs at any time, at any place inside his head. He can be happily playing, walking, sitting, and then it happens and lasts for 5 seconds or so.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 26, 2009
    • 02:15 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• OK, I'm the mom with the 9 year old son who has this "head popping" condition. I took him back to his regular Dr. and right now he is wanting me to log on the days this occurs everything he has eated, or any medication he has taken. My son has Asthma, and uses an Albuteral Inhaler on the days he plays soccer. He started taking Albuteral when he was about 3-5yrs old? Anyway, his doctor is wondering if he is having a weird reaction to the Albertural. He says people can get wierd symptoms from it... Strange headache sensations. Does anyone here take Albuteral?.... My son has not taken it in a week, and has not had a single "head popping" episode since he quit taking it. I'm not yet completely convinced, as this is still early on, and I also believe it can be brought on by stress, as well... But please, let me know if anybody is taking medication for Asthma who has these symptoms... Thank you!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 4, 2009
    • 08:40 PM
    Flag this Response
  • It has been over 4 weeks now that my son has stopped taking his Albuteral Inhaler for his asthma symptoms, and he has NOT HAD ONE single head popping incodent since! He first started taking Albuteral when he was about 4, and that is about the same time his head started popping. I think this COULD be the answer in our case? Time will tell. I was recommended that my son try Xopenox instead, so I will be discussing that with our doctor.Apparently this inhaler does not have as many side affects.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 16, 2009
    • 08:04 PM
    Flag this Response
  • what tpye treatment is use to stop this popping in the head due to so called drainage
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 9, 2010
    • 05:27 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I too have experienced this "head-popping" sensation. It began in 2001 at age 28 and has continued since then. Most of the popping sounds and feels like a small little toothpick being broken somewhere inside my skull. I have had them on the top of my head, back of my head, the middle of my brain, and in the forebrain. I read that they could be subarachnoid hemorrhages of veins/arteries that could produce stroke-like pathology. See generally http://www.mayfieldclinic.com/PE-SAH.HTM. I presently suffer from some of the problems listed there, including confusion and mental incongruities in thought which caused a slew of occupational and interpersonal problems. In 2004, MRI and CT scans showed no problems, but they did not do an anteriogram (dye contrast study) which would have permitted a vascular study of the brain. However, I have significantly improved over the past 7 years. Nevertheless, the popping has recently increased and I will be seeing a neurologist shortly due to my concerns suggested by the above website.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 19, 2010
    • 11:53 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi Everyone! Can someone tell me if they feel the same as i do. It started 4 yrs ago but it has been getting worst these past 2 mths. My head pops and i feel fluid running down my head like it is going to come out of my ears. I get dizzy and nausiated. i have seen my regular doctor and she has sent me to see an ENT doctor and 2 different neurologist. They have all said it is one for the books. One had me taking different medicine but that didnt make it stop. One said it was migraines but i have friends with migraines and trust me i dont feel the pain they feel. They also said that i had to learn to control them but it just pops i dont know when its going to happens. So how does the doctor expect me to control them. If anyone can help. Thank you!I understand how you feel I went to a neurologist about 7 years ago and was told it was occipital neuropathy but I believe he's wrong and I'm looking for help finding out my problem symptoms: headaches when coughing, laughing, sneezing or changing positions and I don't respond to pain meds. Muscles twiching in my arms and face. fluid feeling running down my head along with popping and instant pain that's extremily painful. Vomiting occassionally. numbness in left side of my face with timgling yet noone can find a cause. problems recently with short term memory. Blurry vision in right eye only. drowsiness often. Sleeping problems. sudden blindness that can lasts a few seconds. ringing in my ears, and decreased sensations in upper back. A lot of my headaches can last for days. tastes and smells can be off. fidgety. staring into space. neck and head pain. sensitivity to light, sound. Any idea what's going on?
  • I understand how you feel I went to a neurologist about 7 years ago and was told it was occipital neuropathy but I believe he's wrong and I'm looking for help finding out my problem symptoms: headaches when coughing, laughing, sneezing or changing positions and I don't respond to pain meds. Muscles twiching in my arms and face. fluid feeling running down my head along with popping and instant pain that's extremily painful. Vomiting occassionally. numbness in left side of my face with timgling yet noone can find a cause. problems recently with short term memory. Blurry vision in right eye only. drowsiness often. Sleeping problems. sudden blindness that can lasts a few seconds. ringing in my ears, and decreased sensations in upper back. A lot of my headaches can last for days. tastes and smells can be off. fidgety. staring into space. neck and head pain. sensitivity to light, sound. Any idea what's going on?have you had your eyes checked? some of the symptoms sound like Idiopathic intracranial hypertension which i was diagnosed with over 6 months ago, you would need a spinal tap for diagnosis
  • I have that..It hurts.. It feels like a funnybone in my head.It used to only happen like once a year and only on one side of my skull.But now it's happened like four times in the last month and once it did it in the other side.It happens when I'm turning my head sometimes..It hurts so bad.. I have no idea why it happens but it started like 5 years ago..I use 2 always feel dat poppn it would happen maybe once every three mnths r whenevr it feel like but most of all whenevr I would turn my head real fast I would just feel somethng draining frm the top of my head and it would feel like it will come out my ear but nothn never comes out and the pain hurts like ***l!! The first time that happenend 2 me imma say it was like 7 years ago and I didn't knw what was goin on I been so afraid that imma die I never told no1 it haven't happened 2 me n like over a year but now I feel very dizzy constantly!! Maybe I should have been checked on my problem cause now I always thnk dat my problem has gottn more serious and imma die so I'm scheduled 2 take a cat scan of my brain and imma pray everythng is ok I took sevral test urine sample,ekg, blood work and everythng is normal I'm so scared 2 get the cat scan done but I need 2 knw what causes the constant dizzyness do n e 1 experience dis after the poppn in ur head years later??
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 4, 2011
    • 00:56 AM
    Flag this Response
  • There are days I have hundreds of pops in my head. Severe and loud ones. Often, other people can hear them. Few believe that their origin is in my head. But such is the truth. Sometimes it occurs deep inside. More often close to the skull. Sometimes in the neck. Often along the cerebellum The fluid around my brain does not flow freely. When it pops, the fluids start flowing. Often I have to assist the fluid redistribution by pushing my skull really hard with my hand, usually from right to left, or by shaking. I know where fluid is missing, and where there is too much. By pushing I can create fantastic pops that range/propagate along a line from the crown of head to the neck. Usually, I can tell a pop is due. Neurological symptoms are a clue (vision problems, speaking problems), and often a feeling of pressure, near the location were later the pop will be. After a good pop, I return to myself.There are days better than this, and all is fine. I will still have 10 pops or so, but basically the fluids flow by themselves.There is a social dimension to this. When I am among people, I cannot shake or push too much. It looks so strange. So, I suffer. When it becomes too much, I go to the bathroom to fix my head.This has been going on for many years. I still live, and even function. At least, that is what other people seem to think. A miracle.This is to warn you. In the end I had a severe stroke. Then they started looking for real. And they found it. One of my arteries was let's say deformed. Still recovering ...
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 29, 2011
    • 08:30 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement