Discussions By Condition: Infectious diseases

Lyme Disease?

Posted In: Infectious diseases 0 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • February 3, 2007
  • 09:49 PM

I started having hand/finger pain three weeks ago (started very abrupbtly). Since I know I have carpal tunnel, I went to my hand surgeon first. He took xrays (no major trauma, no arthritis or deterioriated joints) and just found swelling in my hand, wrist and fingers. He sent me to get an EMG/NCS to determine if the carpal tunnel had gotten worse as well as a full panel of bloodwork.

The EMG came back slightly worse. Of all the blood tests (strep, arthritis, white blood cell count, etc.) the only 2 tests were that came back slightly elevated were the Lyme tests. He assured me that Carpal tunnel doesn't hurt like this and it doesn't make your joints swell.

So I am on week one of doxycycline + naprosyn (anti-inflammatory). Unfortunately, the pain continues to be excruciating in the middle of every night (from about 2:30-5AM) - so I am getting no sleep. I have tried serious prescription pain killers and while they take a little bit of the pain away, I still can't sleep and it still hurts like heck.

I realize that it might take the full 3 weeks of antibiotics to get the Lyme out of my system -but I really thought that the pain would have subsided by now.

Is there a chance that I might have something else? Does the course of treatment take a long time to start making one feel better? Are there alternative courses of action that I can take to stop the pain?

Otherwise I am a very healthy 30 year old with two young kids - used to go to the gym, eat healthy, am not overweight, don't have any other previous ailments. I live in the Northeast - but am certainly not an outdoors enthusiast by any means and it's the middle of winter!! I never saw a tick or the ring. The disease/diagnosis is weird and the pain is unbearable.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Reply Flag this Discussion
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement