Discussions By Condition: Spinal conditions

Can Scoliosis cause problems with the bowels/digestive tract/elimination process?

Posted In: Spinal conditions 0 Replies
  • Posted By: concerned_mom_74
  • February 24, 2011
  • 03:46 AM

Today my daughter was kept home with an upset stomach that she had been complaining about the night before. During the day, waiting to go to the doctor's appointment scheduled, she was doubled over screaming and in pain. I thought maybe she was having appendicitis so I took her to the ER instead. I was glad I did, her regular doctor was there (She would have been seen by another doctor at the doctor's office), he had her urine and blood checked--all normal, had xrays done--those weren't normal. He was able to show me that (in his words) was a significant curve in her spine or scoliosis. He began to ask me about what I had noticed with her shoulders, posture, ect. In the back of my mind I always wondered, but I guess it never occurred to me to find out for sure. I had run my hands up and down on her back many times, I have difficulty getting her to sit up straight when I'm trying to do her hair and here I thought she was just being obstinate. Apparently, she just couldn't. Her dad told me that he had a physical done some years ago and they found a curve in his spine and asked him if his back had ever been broken, so it's obviously a hereditary trait she received from her dad. After being shown the xray and getting the information about her spine, he went on to point out all the spots on her xray. She has BM from her rectum all the way up to the top of her colon. He told me to give her MOM and get her "cleaned" out, and that it might take a day or two. I have given her 2 doses as opposed to the 1 since as of yet, all she has passed is gas. My husband is concerned. She's 10 and being given adult doses, she should be running to the toliet by now. My question is this: Does the scoliosis affect the way the bowels work? Is one affecting the other. It's only been the last 6-9 months, but she has complained off and on about her stomach hurting bad. She had her first menses last year in April, but not one since. Her doctor says this is not unusual as her first was a lot of spotting, no actual flow. She does take Adderall 25mg XR for ADD (she did not take her dose today as she was not in school); as an infant we had problems with reflux and she would overeat to the point of vomiting, she had a slight murmur that we were told has corrected itself and she was an extremely hairy baby at birth. She does have psoriasis/eczema and has since about the age of 2 or 3. I am not sure what to think, or if I should be worried. I do plan on calling the doctor in the morning if she has still not had a bowel movement, as MOM has .04% of alcohol per tblspn. If anyone can give me more information about scoliosis and how it may affect the rest of her bodily functions, I appreciate it! Thanks So much. Stephanie :(

Reply Flag this Discussion
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement