Discussions By Condition: Gallbladder conditions

gallbladder pain occuring seven years after surgery????????????

Posted In: Gallbladder conditions 11 Replies
  • Posted By: flannery
  • February 2, 2007
  • 02:17 AM

for the past five months have been experiencing the same type of pain that i experienced BEFORE my gallbladder surgery{laproscopic} when i had the surgery was not made aware that fatty foods would be a no no...since that time have had urgent,mucousy,and yellow watery bowel movements......they are also very burny........sometime eight to ten times a day...........once in awhile would have a brief episode of"gallbladder-like" pain.........now this pain is much more frequent most of the time occuring in the evening......also it feels if there is "movement as if something is moving in my transverse colon.........can feel pinchy, and burny.........as usual my fear is getting the best of me and prevents me from seeing a physician until it becomes imperative...........anyone else have these symptoms.............thanks..........

Reply Flag this Discussion

11 Replies:

• you should have been placed on a monitored diet in the hospital once you were allowed normal food, clue # 1. If not, the intenet is a powerful place to get answers and most answers leads to the fact that you should not eat fatty foods because the gall bladder is not present, which leads to the liver continually depositing small amounts of bile into your intestine wether you are actually digesting food or not. The gall bladder was a storage unit for the bile that the liver makes. Bile is yellow, hence the yellow color of your bowel movement.i had my gall bladder taken out a week ago today and when I was discharged, the nurses didn't even show me how to take care of my wound where the drain grenade is. Nobody told me much of anything. I discovered it on my own. You need to take your own initiative to take care of yourself, do your own research and stop depending on those who are SUPPOSED to give you the answers. If you don't ask the questions, you won't get the answers. Here's an answer: reduce the amount of fatty foods that you are eating, because they are not getting digested properly. stop eating late at night. invest in a more healthy diet. try that for a little while and if it doesn't work, then speak with your doctor."they never told me" is not an excuse. be prepared. research. use the resources available to you.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 13, 2007
    • 08:40 PM
    Flag this Response
  • The bowel movement may be caused from the liver not adapting to being without a holding tank for bile (held in the gallbladder between meals) so it does not produce the amount of bile needed in the stomach to digest food once the gallbladder is removed, resulting in what is commonly called fat diarrhea - I had my gallbladder removed about 5 years ago & after some months of fairly invasive tests this is what the result was.The good news is that it is fairly easily regulated with a drug called cholestyramine. This drug is a powder that you mix in a few ounces of water & drink up to 4 times a day depending on your fat intake - it's kind of a trial & error thing - too much will cause constipation! This of course needs to be coupled with a healthy diet, low in fatty foods & keeping your body well hydrated. I personally use one 4 gram package of powder first thing in the morning - definately before eating - & that seems to be good for me - also you have to stick with a regular schedule with this stuff or your body "expell" whatever is in your digestive system - usually sticking to 24 hours between doses works well for me & any more than 26 hours in between doses there goes the diarrhea! As for the recurring pain, I also have that. For me the cause is a recurring ulcer in my stomach - easily treated by a short (about a month) term of a drug called prevacid and, again, a diet low in fatty foods. There are a few drugs in this class used to treat this type of problem - they are prevacid (a capsule) pantoloc (a tablet) nexium (a tablet) & zantac (a tablet) as well as some other ones that are less commonly used in my area (I work in a pharmacy.) The general dosage of these drugs varies from 1 to 2 caps/tabs daily but they don't generally need to be taken for an extended period of time for ulcers provided that the cause of the ulcer is eliminated or at the very least controlled. Also, there is a liquid called Diovol that is quite effective in giving temporary relief of some of the more painful symptoms that feel EXACTLY like a gallbladder attack! In Canada Diovol is available at most pharmacies close to the pepto bismol, tums & rolaids. I hope that my experiences will help you & anyone else who may be looking for some ideas to discuss with their doctors. Please remember that these are only SOME of the possible reasons for your symptoms & you should definately speak to your doctor about ALL of the possible causes for your current discomfort!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 15, 2007
    • 06:49 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I had my gall bladder out in Dec 06 and in February had another gall bladder attack that landed me in the ER. They couldn't find a problem. Two months later, same thing. Both attacks had been accompanied by the pain in the right rib cage where the liver is located. My digestive car Doc put me on Welcohl. WelChol is used to lower blood cholesterol levels and it works by binding with cholesterol-based bile acids to take them out of circulation. This prompts the liver to produce a replacement supply of bile acids, drawing the extra cholesterol it needs out of the bloodstream. I went on WelChol in April and haven't had an attack since and the pain in the rib cage is gone. Added bennie is my cholesterol is down from about 200 to 156. This isn't metabolized through the liver, so no damage there. If you are taking other medicine, don't take it at the same time. I take three pills with my evening meal and then any other meds when I got to bed. Works great!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 8, 2007
    • 07:06 PM
    Flag this Response
  • After my gall bladder removal, i experienced the same intense pain attacks as before. If i chewed 1 ASA (aspirin) tablet, the pain stopped within a couple of minutes. I now have excess-alkalinity attacks from time to time that are immediately cured by ingesting acid. The constant unregulated drip of bile from my liver was giving me hyper-alkalinity. My gall bladder used to regulate this after eating fats and spices.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • The bowel movement may be caused from the liver not adapting to being without a holding tank for bile (held in the gallbladder between meals) so it does not produce the amount of bile needed in the stomach to digest food once the gallbladder is removed, resulting in what is commonly called fat diarrhea - I had my gallbladder removed about 5 years ago & after some months of fairly invasive tests this is what the result was.The good news is that it is fairly easily regulated with a drug called cholestyramine. This drug is a powder that you mix in a few ounces of water & drink up to 4 times a day depending on your fat intake - it's kind of a trial & error thing - too much will cause constipation! This of course needs to be coupled with a healthy diet, low in fatty foods & keeping your body well hydrated. I personally use one 4 gram package of powder first thing in the morning - definately before eating - & that seems to be good for me - also you have to stick with a regular schedule with this stuff or your body "expell" whatever is in your digestive system - usually sticking to 24 hours between doses works well for me & any more than 26 hours in between doses there goes the diarrhea! As for the recurring pain, I also have that. For me the cause is a recurring ulcer in my stomach - easily treated by a short (about a month) term of a drug called prevacid and, again, a diet low in fatty foods. There are a few drugs in this class used to treat this type of problem - they are prevacid (a capsule) pantoloc (a tablet) nexium (a tablet) & zantac (a tablet) as well as some other ones that are less commonly used in my area (I work in a pharmacy.) The general dosage of these drugs varies from 1 to 2 caps/tabs daily but they don't generally need to be taken for an extended period of time for ulcers provided that the cause of the ulcer is eliminated or at the very least controlled. Also, there is a liquid called Diovol that is quite effective in giving temporary relief of some of the more painful symptoms that feel EXACTLY like a gallbladder attack! In Canada Diovol is available at most pharmacies close to the pepto bismol, tums & rolaids. I hope that my experiences will help you & anyone else who may be looking for some ideas to discuss with their doctors. Please remember that these are only SOME of the possible reasons for your symptoms & you should definately speak to your doctor about ALL of the possible causes for your current discomfort!Pse bear in mind that Zantac and the like are a direct cause of osteoporosis,much like caffeine and tea, most doctors forget to tell you....
    mamita 2 Replies
    • October 18, 2008
    • 01:20 AM
    Flag this Response
  • you should have been placed on a monitored diet in the hospital once you were allowed normal food, clue # 1. If not, the intenet is a powerful place to get answers and most answers leads to the fact that you should not eat fatty foods because the gall bladder is not present, which leads to the liver continually depositing small amounts of bile into your intestine wether you are actually digesting food or not. The gall bladder was a storage unit for the bile that the liver makes. Bile is yellow, hence the yellow color of your bowel movement.i had my gall bladder taken out a week ago today and when I was discharged, the nurses didn't even show me how to take care of my wound where the drain grenade is. Nobody told me much of anything. I discovered it on my own. You need to take your own initiative to take care of yourself, do your own research and stop depending on those who are SUPPOSED to give you the answers. If you don't ask the questions, you won't get the answers. Here's an answer: reduce the amount of fatty foods that you are eating, because they are not getting digested properly. stop eating late at night. invest in a more healthy diet. try that for a little while and if it doesn't work, then speak with your doctor."they never told me" is not an excuse. be prepared. research. use the resources available to you.Would appreciate more answers - less lecture. k Thanks!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 3, 2008
    • 03:16 PM
    Flag this Response
  • In response to "they should've told me is not an excuse" is completely ridiculous... Do you suppose in the olden days before we had the internet for our own research you would be saying that?! Do you think doctors should get paid less than because they do not give "full treatment including educating the patient of what is going on with their body"??What about 100 years ago? When doctors came to your house, to your bedside and treated you, do you think it was up to the patient then to "do their own research'??You need education...
  • for the past five months have been experiencing the same type of pain that i experienced BEFORE my gallbladder surgery{laproscopic} when i had the surgery was not made aware that fatty foods would be a no no...since that time have had urgent,mucousy,and yellow watery bowel movements......they are also very burny........sometime eight to ten times a day...........once in awhile would have a brief episode of"gallbladder-like" pain.........now this pain is much more frequent most of the time occuring in the evening......also it feels if there is "movement as if something is moving in my transverse colon.........can feel pinchy, and burny.........as usual my fear is getting the best of me and prevents me from seeing a physician until it becomes imperative...........anyone else have these symptoms.............thanks..........Truth be told, there was a time, like in the fifties where the doctors would tell you how to eat. Now, doctors know that patrents don't really listen. Doctors are so inindated with patients they don't have time. Go armed to Doctor's appointments with questions based on research. You will learn more from other people than most doctors. The US has more digestive disorders than any other country becasue of our Fatty Western Diet. They will tell you it is a physchological issue with your brain since you have already had it removed. It is more common than you think. But yes, unfortunantly you will have to change the way you eat totally. That organ that they took out, despite what they tell you is not an organ our bodies have evolved out of ( like have 2 kidneys, you can spare one) If we didn't need our gallbaldder, you would not be having trouble with fatty foods. I was told with surgery, your food would go straight through you. Unfortunantly with some doctors you have to wait until your digestive system is turned inside out and your practicaly in the emergency room before they really put some effort into investigating. Remember once you leave your doctors office they never give you a second thought. They don't ponder on what could posibbly be wrong (Like on the show "House" where all the doctors get in a board room and solve medical cases that arent obvious) Many people have discovered their own sickness by being their own detective. My Doctor can't figure out the pain under my right rib cage so he just tried telling me I had spactic colon, which I now know better now that I have read more on it. I think mine is a blockage. I am going for my first colonoscopy and 2nd endoscopy. I have had pains that have gotten worse and evolved into worse issues. TAKE A NOTE PAD WITH YOU, listen to what they doctor says, and come back with a note pad of questions. Try not to dwell on it, but don't give up CHANGE YOUR DIET, lean about the foods we eat here in America. We are poisioning ourselves. Other countries do no have the digestive disordes we have or the weight problems. I hope you get some answers, peace of mind is worth so much.
  • Should you haven’t heard what is biliary or gallbladder sludge allow us to make an effort to clarify. It really is actually a mixture of mucous within the bile and smaller surplus junk like crystals and also salts. The existence of gallbladder sludge is typically with out just about any indicators and there's a correlation with quick weight loss, pregnant state, the use of some medications etc. The truth is if any signs and symptoms appear they are generally linked with gall stones, gall bladder irritation or obstructions of the bile channel. Perhaps the top solution would be to confer with your doctor when you have any concerns. A modest change in your eating routine will eradicate your gall bladder difficulties. You must enhance the consumption of foodstuff rich in fibers and non-saturated fats. The growth of gall bladder sludge is often eliminated by taking lots of fresh fruits and vegetables. Steer clear of foods rich in cholesterol. Meals which include maximum quantities of cholesterol will make your gallbladder work harder than normal and this causes an elevated manufacture of sludge from the gall bladder. Spreading your dishes over the day and consuming smaller sized portions of foods is among the finest recommendations associated with food items. You ought to attempt this hint due to the fact the gall bladder creates bile which supports in the foodstuff digestion and like this we stay away from the bile to stay saved in the gallbladder much more time. Taking good care and maintaining your own weight at optimum stages is crucial point within the protection against gallbladder difficulties. For example, fat folks include the group of people which can be a lot more impacted with gall bladder sludge problems. Lower the total number of calories inside your everyday diet and become a lot more physically lively as a way to shed weight and it's going to be beneficial for your health and gall bladder condition. Immediate weight reduction just isn't advised as a result of the elevated risks of gallstones. If you have to shed pounds quickly you can always consult your physician for treatments that prevent the creation of gall stones. In the event you knowledge undesirable signs or symptoms immediately after you've got tried just about every suggestions we have supplied it is a good idea to speak to your physician and see if it really is necessary to remove your gall bladder. You doctor may most likely advise gall bladder surgical procedure if it really is needed. The great factor would be that the gall bladder is not a essential organ which means that our body can function normally without it. When the gallbladder is operatively removed the hard working liver starts taking its capabilities and generates bile to help within the digestion procedure. All of the indicators will disappear after the gallbladder surgical procedure and it is possible to start off living your life once again without pain. You merely need to change your eating habits somewhat.
    Rod559 5 Replies
    • September 17, 2011
    • 00:33 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I had my gallbladder removed when I was just 14 years old, which is odd in itself, it took numerous doctors and many, many months to finally put a finger on what was causing all of my pain, discomfort and constant vomiting. I was told I was born with "2 hand full of sand" in my gallbladder. Not loNg after I had key hole surgery to remove my gallbladder. I am 22 years old and I still have continuous pains and I vomit everything I eat. I had to leave school, i have been unable to work as my life is just continuous cycle of trying for hold down food so I have energy to do the essential things, shower, relAtionships, friendships etc.I wish I had known to get on the internet and reseArch the surgery, my biggest regret in life was going through with that surgery.Even though I haven't got it As bad as some other people with illnesses, I still am lAcking quality of life.I have been in and out of doctors/hospitals trying to find an answer, all they have come up with is IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) and cAlling me bulimic, ive even been referred to pyschologists.If anyone has an tips or anything please help me out.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 8, 2013
    • 05:54 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I had my gallbladder removed when I was just 14 years old, which is odd in itself, it took numerous doctors and many, many months to finally put a finger on what was causing all of my pain, discomfort and constant vomiting. I was told I was born with "2 hand full of sand" in my gallbladder. Not loNg after I had key hole surgery to remove my gallbladder. I am 22 years old and I still have continuous pains and I vomit everything I eat. I had to leave school, i have been unable to work as my life is just continuous cycle of trying for hold down food so I have energy to do the essential things, shower, relAtionships, friendships etc.I wish I had known to get on the internet and reseArch the surgery, my biggest regret in life was going through with that surgery.Even though I haven't got it As bad as some other people with illnesses, I still am lAcking quality of life.I have been in and out of doctors/hospitals trying to find an answer, all they have come up with is IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) and cAlling me bulimic, ive even been referred to pyschologists.If anyone has an tips or anything please help me out.I haven't experienced this & am not a doctor. However, my sister has a long history of similar problems so I'm keyed into things like this. She eventually had her gallbladder removed, I have the feeling just because she insisted something be done. But her symptoms persisted, though the attacks were milder & she had fewer episodes of vomiting than before. She was next diagnosed with celiac sprue & adopted a gluten-free diet. That also helped, but did not completely eliminate her symptoms; sometimes she ate a bit of gluten with no trouble and sometimes after months of abstinence she'd still have a sever attack. Some time ago, I saw a documentary on mysterious diseases (I'm so sorry I can't remember the title & can't find it after quick Googling) The woman featured had the same symptoms. Eventually, she was diagnosed with a problem in the Sphincter of Oddi, was treated for it (as I recall, it was a relatively simple procedure) and was cured after YEARS of suffering. As I understand it, most doctors don't test for this because it's rare, and unless you specifically bring up the possibility, it won't occur to many to even check the sphincter. My sister asked her GP who responded enthusiastically and advised to go to an ER during an attack and immediately ask for them to check the sphincter. I think it can only be diagnosed when the sphincter is mis-behaving (which, of course, is the LAST moment you'd like to be away from home). So far, my sis hasn't pursued this although we both suspect it may be the right path. Like I said, I'm not qualified to diagnose (except my sister LOL) but it might not hurt to read up on Sphincter of Oddi dysfunction and see if it makes sense to ask your internist about that possibility. p.s. If you google sphincter of Oddi you will find an amazing number of posts like yours ... with answers like mine referencing that documentary. You may find the doc itself with deeper digging but I thought I'd get this quick response out. If I find it, will post. Good luck to you!
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement