Discussions By Condition: Eye conditions

Eyelids swell at night

Posted In: Eye conditions 12 Replies
  • Posted By: bev nethers
  • February 1, 2007
  • 05:16 PM

Help!

My eyelids swell when I sleep at night (sometimes the swelling begins at night when I'm sitting around watching tv). I wake up and my eyelids are drooping down to my eyelashes and they're all puffy. Every now and then, they're so swollen that it looks like a ping-pong ball has been cut in half and inserted under my eyelid. This happens for a few nights, then it goes away for a couple of months- then it starts all over again. I can't figure out what makes this happen. I haven't changed anything (make-up, pillow, detergent, etc. Usually by mid-day, I'm somewhat presentable.

Please let me know if this has happened to you. How did you solve it? I've tried cortisone cremes and benedryl.

Reply Flag this Discussion

12 Replies:

• Help! My eyelids swell when I sleep at night (sometimes the swelling begins at night when I'm sitting around watching tv). I wake up and my eyelids are drooping down to my eyelashes and they're all puffy. Every now and then, they're so swollen that it looks like a ping-pong ball has been cut in half and inserted under my eyelid. This happens for a few nights, then it goes away for a couple of months- then it starts all over again. I can't figure out what makes this happen. I haven't changed anything (make-up, pillow, detergent, etc. Usually by mid-day, I'm somewhat presentable. Please let me know if this has happened to you. How did you solve it? I've tried cortisone cremes and benedryl.Hmm- please don't put those creams in your eye area...it is not safe.I was honestly thinking that it is an allergic reaction- perhaps one that had been silent for a while. One could be allergic to anything so it might be an additive on the food- or a seasoning you use sparingly. Since it happens during tv time, I would guess that it is something between 20 minutes to 2 hours after dinner?Try to keep a journal with the food you eat and read labels- it might help you to connect the dots.Best.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 1, 2007
    • 05:44 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Sounds like you have an eye condition called blepharochalasis. Unfortunately, cause and cure are unknown, just symptomatic treatment. Elevate the head to reduce swelling and warm compresses to help it resolve faster. Lymphatic massage may also help.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 2, 2007
    • 08:57 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I agree it does sound like blepharitis, or blepharochalasis (which I am less familiar with). It is an inflammation of the tear ducts caused by bacteria usually. Here is what helped me with this: Buy Johnson's baby shampoo and use this every night to clean your eyes and really gently get into the eyelids. Also, hot compresses are good, but what is better is green tea - take a hot tea bag and use as a compress. The green tea has antimicrobial properties. If you can find Kukicha (also called Twig tea) this works even better. You can also get an eye wash cup and fill with warm green or twig tea... The above also works wonderfully for conjunctivitis, or pink eye. Hope this helps.DOM
    acuann 3,080 Replies
    • February 3, 2007
    • 06:14 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I forgot to mention that you MUST get all new eye makeup and change it every 6 weeks. Stay away from eye liners and mascara until your symptoms improve.DOM
    acuann 3,080 Replies
    • February 3, 2007
    • 06:15 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have actually suffered the same problem believe it or not for approx 4 years - i have been to the Hospital and the Doctors and eventually I was referred to a consultant.I started seeing the Consultant in June last year and I have only today been discharged - they said that I was allergic to something.I have had the european allergy testing done where they put things on your back for a few days - it all came back clear.I was then sent for cosmetic battery testing to be done on my back, again I wore the stuff for days and that was removed - still no allergy.My blood was tested for allergies - that came back clear.It was really frustrating but in the end my consultant gave me a protopic ointment to try and guess what it has worked. I don't seem to have had a flare up for approx 3 months now but if it ever feels itchy I put the ointment on straight away.My consultant discharged me today and when I asked what the Protopic was she said it was always used as a last resort and in my case it has worked - it is simply a Vitamin A which is used as an anti immune suppresant.I really do sympathise with you it was always an evening when mine flared up and like you say you aren't doing anything but my upper eyelid would be swollen - I used to look like elephant man it was really awful.Hope this helps.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Protopic is not "Vitamin A" anything - it is a fairly potent immunosuppressive (tacrolimus) that works great for allergic dermatitis (and eczema).Drooping eyelids can be caused by many things from myasthenia gravis to brow/eyelid ptosis. Swollen eyelids also have a big list of possibilities that cannot be diagnosed over the internet. In addition to the things already mentioned, thyroid problems can cause similar symptoms.
  • Protopic is not "Vitamin A" anything - it is a fairly potent immunosuppressive (tacrolimus) that works great for allergic dermatitis (and eczema).Drooping eyelids can be caused by many things from myasthenia gravis to brow/eyelid ptosis. Swollen eyelids also have a big list of possibilities that cannot be diagnosed over the internet. In addition to the things already mentioned, thyroid problems can cause similar symptoms.My consultant told me it was a Vitamin A - Anti Immune Suppressant, I didn't make it up. I've been tested for thyroid problems along with many other things - all came back negative.I think until you have experienced the problem then you can't really comment on the nature of it and its certainly not "drooping eyelids". It is really painful and uncomfortable and very very rare as even the medical people aren't sure what causes it.I don't think anyone is trying to diagnose anything over the internet I think they are simply looking for help and believe me I wished I had found this forum many years ago when I was suffering because I thought I was out there all alone.Whatever causes it my consultant has finally found something that works for me and she gave me her medical opinion on the ointment which she gave me ... i didn't make any of it up.
  • I have had almost the same thing as you for about 3+ years now. The only difference is my eyes swell shut and itch but they don't really hurt. It looks crazy ugly. I went through tons of tests at Kaiser and nothing helped. No allergy tests came back positive. Food diary did no good at all. They said it was hives. Mine usually happened in my sleep and if I was laying to one side or the other, the eye that was closer to the pillow would swell. However, many times sleeping elevated or in a recliner it would still happen. My 8th or so Dr. read that Doxepin in small doses was helping asthma, which is related to hives. He also wanted to try one more allergy med, singular. Somehow it worked. I thought it was the singular (works on different receptors than say Claritin) so I stopped the Doxepin and bammo I swelled again. So I took the Doxepin and no Singular, bam it swelled. So if I take both every night b4 bed I am 99% bullet proof. The sad part Doxepin in small doses is actually a depressant instead of the anti it was made. So it makes me sleepy and not want to get out of bed. I do all the Blepharitis hygiene stuff. I may have some issues that way too since I have bad dandruff.
    thomilcat 1 Replies
    • January 23, 2009
    • 08:04 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I tell you what you might try,very sparingly is a tiny, and i mean a tiny bit on end of cotton bud, amount of Manuka Honey. It has been shown to kill MRSA and all other Bacteria . I have same types of symptoms and although too early to say for certain it seems to have got better after couple of days. Dont go putting loads in though. I put it gently in the corners of each eye and rub gently along the lids. It does sting a tad at first. Perhaps you will let everyone know if it works;http://www.webmd.com/news/20080922/humble-honey-kills-bacteriaJP
  • I have actually suffered the same problem believe it or not for approx 4 years - i have been to the Hospital and the Doctors and eventually I was referred to a consultant.I started seeing the Consultant in June last year and I have only today been discharged - they said that I was allergic to something.I have had the european allergy testing done where they put things on your back for a few days - it all came back clear.I was then sent for cosmetic battery testing to be done on my back, again I wore the stuff for days and that was removed - still no allergy.My blood was tested for allergies - that came back clear.It was really frustrating but in the end my consultant gave me a protopic ointment to try and guess what it has worked. I don't seem to have had a flare up for approx 3 months now but if it ever feels itchy I put the ointment on straight away.My consultant discharged me today and when I asked what the Protopic was she said it was always used as a last resort and in my case it has worked - it is simply a Vitamin A which is used as an anti immune suppresant.I really do sympathise with you it was always an evening when mine flared up and like you say you aren't doing anything but my upper eyelid would be swollen - I used to look like elephant man it was really awful.Hope this helps.I thought I was the only one in the world with this problem, I too have suffered from this bizzare condition. It has only been happening to me for the last 6 months now but is really driving me crazy - it seems to happen every week or two to me at night watching telly and then in the morning I look like the elephant man (it takes a day for it to go back to normal and settle down). It is really embarressing and totally uncomfortable. My eye doctor says I have allergy conguntivitis and dry eye. I have to take eye drops every day to lubricate the eyes and 'zaditen' drops the minute they show signs of itchiness. This helps the itch, but doesnt stop the flare up. I think if I rub my eyes late at night and haven't washed them after patting him, his germs get into my eye and cause it to flare up. I sure am glad to hear that there are other people out there who deal with this problem!
  • My eyelids do the exact same thing and mainly after sleeping. Im told it is a allergen of sorts. Maybe even dermitis. I do use eyelid cleaners all the top and many eye washes too. Its more my left eye lid then my right. The only thing i have found to work is Steriod cream and Allergy pills, and when real pad advil with all the others. After reading about steriods on eyelids could cause cataracts etc I have been trying to find allternative ways to help. i.e. cucumber oil...just started I will let you know if I find anything that works.I also have been getting face hives & dermitis so I just started herbs 2 days ago and am hoping it helps both.Help! My eyelids swell when I sleep at night (sometimes the swelling begins at night when I'm sitting around watching tv). I wake up and my eyelids are drooping down to my eyelashes and they're all puffy. Every now and then, they're so swollen that it looks like a ping-pong ball has been cut in half and inserted under my eyelid. This happens for a few nights, then it goes away for a couple of months- then it starts all over again. I can't figure out what makes this happen. I haven't changed anything (make-up, pillow, detergent, etc. Usually by mid-day, I'm somewhat presentable. Please let me know if this has happened to you. How did you solve it? I've tried cortisone cremes and benedryl.
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• I agree it does sound like blepharitis, or blepharochalasis (which I am less familiar with). It is an inflammation of the tear ducts caused by bacteria usually. Here is what helped me with this: Buy Johnson's baby shampoo and use this every night to clean your eyes and really gently get into the eyelids. Also, hot compresses are good, but what is better is green tea - take a hot tea bag and use as a compress. The green tea has antimicrobial properties. If you can find Kukicha (also called Twig tea) this works even better. You can also get an eye wash cup and fill with warm green or twig tea... The above also works wonderfully for conjunctivitis, or pink eye. Hope this helps.DOMHello there i first of all thank you so much for sharing such helpful infosbut how do manage to use all those medical techniques together? i mean do you use baby shampoo with hot compress first than use green tea bag hot compress too?please help me i am having exact situation as the one listed above and this keeps reoccurring over and over again :( at least 3 X a year.Thank you.
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement