Discussions By Condition: Kidney conditions

GFR should I be concerned?

Posted In: Kidney conditions 13 Replies
  • Posted By: diane43
  • January 31, 2007
  • 04:53 PM

:confused::confused:
Hi,
I'm new to this forum so I'm going to try to explain this the best I can. I had some blood test done to check my liver and cholesterol. The docter sent me the results of the test and there were some abnormal results. My HGB and HCT and Abs Lymph Automated were low. Then I also notice there was a abnormal results on the GFR (59). So I went to kidney.org and checked it out and it tells me that I'm in stage 3 for chronic kidney disease, which is 30-59. I pluged my creatinine and other info and came up with the same info 59. The doctor never said anything about this to me, plus I found that this was on a proir test result. How concerned should I be about this?

Reply Flag this Discussion

13 Replies:

• My first question is how long ago was the prior test? If the GFR is the same, that's good news that it's not getting worse. It's still off, so I'd ask your doctor what he thinks about it. With a low HGB and HCT it sounds like you're anemic and with a low GFR those are classic signs of renal insufficiency. I'm not sure what the other test is for, but there could be something putting extra stress on your kidneys. I'd also ask your doctor for a nephrology referral.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 5, 2007
    • 06:28 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi,Thank you for your reply, the test that was prior was in 2005 so it hasn't changed in that time which is good. It just supprises me that I wasn't told about this at all. I have now changed doctors, but I don't have an appointment until April with him, because my first appt. has to be a physical which is good. I new my iron level was low because I have been having trouble giving blood the past few times.God Bless,Diane43
    diane43 1 Replies
    • February 5, 2007
    • 11:20 PM
    Flag this Response
  • The GFR you received on your lab report was, likely, an ESTIMATED GFR. This estimate uses your age, Creatinine serum ranges, and other demographic analysis to give a good guess as to what your GFR might be. A bad GFR estimate on a lab report does not sentence you to CKD...it just means you should have another test (generally a 24-hour urine test with creatinine clearance). In other words, don't panic...just bring it up with you doctor and try to get another test done.FYI, the Mayo Clinic conducted a research project which showed that GFR estimates routinely underestimate creatinine clearance in healthy adults (by around 26%). The equation used to estimate GFR, created through MDRD, was based on patient data exclusively containing people with CKD...not healthy people...so the estimate is proving far more helpful in staging CKD in those already diagnosed than identifying CKD in previously-healthy patients.In other words, don't panic; but, do get another test =)...
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • I have a 44 on my GFR. It has gone up from the first time when it was 30. My kidney dr. was really surprised and very worried the first time it was 30. When I went to my appointment, he looked around, because I was with myself, and wondered why nobody was with me. I didn't think it was a big deal but to him it was. He said I was 1 number from being in Stage IV. I had to give up salt, caffeine, sweets, anything in a can because there is always a whole lot of salt in those food. So I did what he told me and the next test was 44. It's gone up & down. I don't have to see him for another year. But he did put me on a blood pressure drug because of my high BP. And he would shoot me if he knew I went back to eating normal. I'm just digging a hole for myself and I know I have to get back on track. I have to carry this yellow card and show it to any of my drs. and when I have blood drawn, not to use the veins in my arms to use my hand veins because I probably will need dyalysis in the future and I will need my arm veins for that.:confused:
    klschup 42 Replies
    • January 27, 2008
    • 09:46 PM
    Flag this Response
  • :confused::confused:Hi,I'm new to this forum so I'm going to try to explain this the best I can. I had some blood test done to check my liver and cholesterol. The docter sent me the results of the test and there were some abnormal results. My HGB and HCT and Abs Lymph Automated were low. Then I also notice there was a abnormal results on the GFR (59). So I went to kidney.org and checked it out and it tells me that I'm in stage 3 for chronic kidney disease, which is 30-59. I pluged my creatinine and other info and came up with the same info 59. The doctor never said anything about this to me, plus I found that this was on a proir test result. How concerned should I be about this? Hi, Diane. It's good that you are doing research and are taking these results seriously. Last year my GFR was 48 for two tests over a 3 month period. Then following a low sodium, low potassium lower protein and moderate sugar diet my GFR went up to 59 and then to 60. It has been holding at 60 for 6 months now and I don't have to return to my nephrologist until Sept. BTW the GFR normally gets a bit lower with age. It's a good idea to have a referral to a nephrologist...s/he can keep up with your progress and refer you to a dietician who can help you with a diet specific to you. My primary physician referred me to a nephrologist right after she saw the GFR of 48 the second time. They'll probably give you a urine test, and possibly an MRI to check your kidneys. Good luck and God bless.Janq:o
  • I'm in a med-mal situation with Kaiser due to an ER doctor messing up closure of a laceration above my eyebrow. As part of the grievance process, I got a copy of my ER file, and saw blood test results that NO DOCTOR had ever mentioned. These results are not provided to patients. April 2006, my GFR was 82, Creatinine was 0.8July 2007, my GFR was 67, Creatinine was 0.9Feb 2008, my GFR was 56, Creatinine was 1.1In researching this, it seems GFR of 56 is classified as Chronic Kidney Disease! Why didn't any doctor monitor this and when the ER doctor saw it had dropped from 82 to 56 in a 2-year period, I wasn't even told about it. If it weren't for the legal situation where I got to see my records, I wouldn't have even known about this blood test result.I immediately filed a grievance with Kaiser Panorama City. Lo and behold, within 24 hours, nephrology called me to get me in quickly to see a doctor. Clearly Kaiser dropped the ball.What I want to know is this - how far away from dialysis am I? I'm a 49 year old female who was diagnosed with fibromyalgia. I've been complaining about depression, sleep problems, and being tired, and now I see that a low GFR can cause all of this?Thanks.
  • Dear Nom..., Sorry to hear about your legal difficulties, but maybe it was a blessing in disguise. There is a website that I have found extremely helpful...www.aakp.org The American Association of Kidney Patients. They have great information and also have several magazines that are full of helpful information. In this day of busy docs, etc., it behooves all patients to ask for copies of all test results and to keep an individual patient record and to question everything. From what I understand dialysis isn't required until the patient's gfr is at stage 5...You're probably at Stage 2 or 3. This can be improved through watching your diet carefully and keeping your BP undercontrol. My CKD was probably caused by a combination of uncontrolled hypertension for many years (didn't know I had it) and also the use of NSAIDS for controlling arthritis pain. My GFR was as low as 48 for several months. Through careful diet and controlling my Blood Pressure it is up to 67. There is also another website by Davita. Don't have the url handy, but if you do a search on CKD it will be one of the sites given.Hope all goes well for you.Let me know how you do with your nephrologist. Be sure to request a consult with a dietician to help you determine what you should and should not be eating. Typically, low sodium, low protein. Good luck.janq
  • :confused::confused:Hi,I'm new to this forum so I'm going to try to explain this the best I can. I had some blood test done to check my liver and cholesterol. The docter sent me the results of the test and there were some abnormal results. My HGB and HCT and Abs Lymph Automated were low. Then I also notice there was a abnormal results on the GFR (59). So I went to kidney.org and checked it out and it tells me that I'm in stage 3 for chronic kidney disease, which is 30-59. I pluged my creatinine and other info and came up with the same info 59. The doctor never said anything about this to me, plus I found that this was on a proir test result. How concerned should I be about this?Hi- Oh My- I have almost exactly the same thing- except my ONLY abnormal lab was the gfr- 59. I too am worried. My Dr. put me on the BP drug Lisinopril though I haven't ever had high BP. I know my condition was caused by 20 yrs. of daily nsaids for knee arthritis. with my initial GFR at 59 (last Oct., I immediately stopped the nsaids and stopped driniking diet coke. I started worrying about my diet and bought 4 books on CKD. Iwas able to get my gfr up (in Jan. 2011) to 62 but as of yesterday it is back to 59 again. I know I don't eat completely right- I have a sweet tooth- esp. at night. I am very scared but guess that it is not dire that I haven't gotten worse in over a yr. I would still LOVE to get my gfr up. I have not been referred to nephrologist yet as my GP feels everything is fine. I keep hoping that each lab test will show that the last was just wrong. I exercise a lot- weight lifting, walking, cardio machines and swimming. I read somewhere that people with greater muscle mass spill more creatinine and I hoped that was my issue since suddenly - my first test at age 50- my creatinine looks off. I figure that when they do the test that number changes between 49 and 50. In any event I am symptomless and scared! And my other labs are all GREAT. BP ranges between 100/59- 120/70. any input greatly appreciated!
  • If the GFR is the same, that's good news that it's not getting worse. It's still off, so I'd ask your doctor what he thinks about it. With a low HGB and HCT it sounds like you're anemic and with a low GFR those are classic signs of renal insufficiency. I'm not sure what the other test is for, but there could be something putting extra stress on your kidneys. I'd also ask your doctor for a nephrology referral.If you want learn more about"GFR", you can visited this article"Why Does Glomerular Filtration Rate (GFR) Decline"
  • If the GFR is the same, that's good news that it's not getting worse. It's still off, so I'd ask your doctor what he thinks about it. With a low HGB and HCT it sounds like you're anemic and with a low GFR those are classic signs of renal insufficiency. I'm not sure what the other test is for, but there could be something putting extra stress on your kidneys. I'd also ask your doctor for a nephrology referral. If you want  learn more about "GFR", you can visite this article"Why Does Glomerular Filtration Rate (GFR) Decline"
  • GFR (Glomerular Filtration Rate) is the most important standard of renal function and the degree of kidney disease. To people who have kidney disease or not, they want to know the normal range of GFR. One thing you should know that the normal range is a little different in different hospital for the reason of calculating, machine and so on.According to the National Kidney Foundation, normal range of GFR is from 90 - 120 mL/min. Older people will have lower normal GFR levels, because GFR decreases with age. It is easy for people to understand that kidneys become weak with the age increasing, even for the normal people.Normal value ranges can vary slightly among different laboratories. So, do not feel surprise to your result of GFR. Talking to your doctor about what your specific test results mean. learn more about" normal range of gfr "
    ckdsite 4 Replies Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• As we know, GFR (Glomerular Filtration Rate) is the most important standard of renal function and the degree of kidney disease. To people who have kidney disease or not, they want to know the normal range of GFR. One thing you should know that the normal range is a little different in different hospital for the reason of calculating, machine and so on.According to the National Kidney Foundation, normal range of GFR is from 90 - 120 mL/min. Older people will have lower normal GFR levels, because GFR decreases with age. It is easy for people to understand that kidneys become weak with the age increasing, even for the normal people.Normal value ranges can vary slightly among different laboratories. So, do not feel surprise to your result of GFR. Talking to your doctor about what your specific test results mean.In a word, GFR is the best test to measure your level of kidney function and determine your stage of kidney disease. Your doctor can calculate it from the results of your blood creatinine test, your age, race, gender and other factors.Comparing the normal range of GFR, there is abnormal range of it. GFR is a mirror for evaluating the condition of kidneys. What Abnormal Results Mean Levels below 60 mL/min for 3 or more months are a sign of CKD(Chronic Kidney Disease). Those with GFR results below 15 mL/min are a sign of Kidney Failure.about " normal range of gfr "
    pkdcn2897 11 Replies Flag this Response
  • As we know, GFR (Glomerular Filtration Rate) is the most important standard of renal function and the degree of kidney disease. To people who have kidney disease or not, they want to know the normal range of GFR. One thing you should know that the normal range is a little different in different hospital for the reason of calculating, machine and so on.According to the National Kidney Foundation, normal range of GFR is from 90 - 120 mL/min. Older people will have lower normal GFR levels, because GFR decreases with age. It is easy for people to understand that kidneys become weak with the age increasing, even for the normal people. this article is from "Normal Range of GFR"
    pkdcn2897 11 Replies Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement