Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Foul taste in back of throat for past 3 months - Dr Baffled...

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 56 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • January 31, 2007
  • 04:20 PM

I've had a revolting taste in the back of my throat for several months. I've been to see my Dr and he has been unable to diagnose anything.

My diet has not changed nor have my meds, in fact nothing in my lifestyle has really changed, apart from getting to the gym a couple of extra times a week.

The taste is revolting, its not metallic, more like a mouldy, festering taste that I really can't properly describe and I can taste it deep in the back of my throat pretty much all the time, though sometimes, like when I eat it can get abruptly much worse, then fade back a little.

I'm assured that I don't have bad breath, my teeth have been checked and don't have anything wrong.

The only other thing I have noticed is that I seem to be bringing up lots of Phlegm, similar to when I first gave up smoking several years ago. I'm probably bringing up phlegm 3 times a day, but don't have a cold or any obvious illness. The only things I have had had done recently (in the last 4 months) is a nose piercing which hasn't given me any problems.

Any ideas would be welcome!!

Reply Flag this Discussion

56 Replies:

• A bad taste in your mouth can originate from your sinuses. Maybe you have an infection there (perhaps fungal).
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 31, 2007
    • 05:52 PM
    Flag this Response
  • i have had the same symptoms but only for about a week now, if u here of anything either , let me know and i will let u know. cheelaI've had a revolting taste in the back of my throat for several months. I've been to see my Dr and he has been unable to diagnose anything.My diet has not changed nor have my meds, in fact nothing in my lifestyle has really changed, apart from getting to the gym a couple of extra times a week.The taste is revolting, its not metallic, more like a mouldy, festering taste that I really can't properly describe and I can taste it deep in the back of my throat pretty much all the time, though sometimes, like when I eat it can get abruptly much worse, then fade back a little.I'm assured that I don't have bad breath, my teeth have been checked and don't have anything wrong.The only other thing I have noticed is that I seem to be bringing up lots of Phlegm, similar to when I first gave up smoking several years ago. I'm probably bringing up phlegm 3 times a day, but don't have a cold or any obvious illness. The only things I have had had done recently (in the last 4 months) is a nose piercing which hasn't given me any problems.Any ideas would be welcome!!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • sounds like same as my aunt, dr still baffled.any luck with yoursSherri
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 17, 2007
    • 10:00 PM
    Flag this Response
  • There are numerous postings here on tonsillar debris and foul tastes. The tonsils develop pockets where food can lodge, ferment and rot. I'm surprised the doc didn't tell you about this as it is not uncommon. Also known as tonsilar crypts. (Also check out your sinuses as above suggested and get your teeth cleaned)
    rad-skw 1,605 Replies
    • October 18, 2007
    • 08:25 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Not only sinus problems but some stomach disorders and lung diseases I believe can cause foul odors, tastes in mouth. Since the dr cannot figure it out ask the dr to send you to a Pulmonary DR, ENT and/or GI dr. ------------You wrote:The only other thing I have noticed is that I seem to be bringing up lots of Phlegm, similar to when I first gave up smoking several years ago. I'm probably bringing up phlegm 3 times a day, but don't have a cold or any obvious illness. ------------Have you got a chest xray since this phlegm started to be coughed up? You may not have an obvious illness; but because of the phlegm and the foul odors/tastes in mouth you should get the chest checked out. Sometimes serious disorders don't have too many signs at first. I am glad you quit smoking; smoking is a deadly habit. A TB test may also be needed to rule out TB.So many things could be going on; so I suggest you consider a referral to another dr who will rule out (or in) chest, sinus, infectious diseases and gastro-intestinal diseases. Good luck.I've had a revolting taste in the back of my throat for several months. I've been to see my Dr and he has been unable to diagnose anything.My diet has not changed nor have my meds, in fact nothing in my lifestyle has really changed, apart from getting to the gym a couple of extra times a week.The taste is revolting, its not metallic, more like a mouldy, festering taste that I really can't properly describe and I can taste it deep in the back of my throat pretty much all the time, though sometimes, like when I eat it can get abruptly much worse, then fade back a little.I'm assured that I don't have bad breath, my teeth have been checked and don't have anything wrong.The only other thing I have noticed is that I seem to be bringing up lots of Phlegm, similar to when I first gave up smoking several years ago. I'm probably bringing up phlegm 3 times a day, but don't have a cold or any obvious illness. The only things I have had had done recently (in the last 4 months) is a nose piercing which hasn't given me any problems.Any ideas would be welcome!!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 18, 2007
    • 02:27 PM
    Flag this Response
  • There are numerous postings here on tonsillar debris and foul tastes. The tonsils develop pockets where food can lodge, ferment and rot. I'm surprised the doc didn't tell you about this as it is not uncommon. Also known as tonsilar crypts. (Also check out your sinuses as above suggested and get your teeth cleaned) If there's a bacterial infection then the phlegm would be explained and the tonsils would likely be infected which could cause unnoticeable inflammation, trapping food bits or creating pus that could cause the bad taste.However, there would definitely be a bad smell, and the poster claims that the breath is not affected. Maybe another honest friend could clarify this for you?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 16, 2010
    • 06:51 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I've had a revolting taste in the back of my throat for several months. I've been to see my Dr and he has been unable to diagnose anything.My diet has not changed nor have my meds, in fact nothing in my lifestyle has really changed, apart from getting to the gym a couple of extra times a week.The taste is revolting, its not metallic, more like a mouldy, festering taste that I really can't properly describe and I can taste it deep in the back of my throat pretty much all the time, though sometimes, like when I eat it can get abruptly much worse, then fade back a little.I'm assured that I don't have bad breath, my teeth have been checked and don't have anything wrong.The only other thing I have noticed is that I seem to be bringing up lots of Phlegm, similar to when I first gave up smoking several years ago. I'm probably bringing up phlegm 3 times a day, but don't have a cold or any obvious illness. The only things I have had had done recently (in the last 4 months) is a nose piercing which hasn't given me any problems.Any ideas would be welcome!!perhaps you are now ridding the nasal area of trapped tar and phlegm from the former years of smoking and it's draining into your throat when you sleep..then it would make sense your coughing up phlegm as well. Try cleansing the sinuses with warm water and steam to speed up the break down of the toxins releasing from the nose... and then it won't drain at night? A nettle pot or warm wash cloth in the shower...inhale the water and spit it out through the mouth and low the nose.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 17, 2010
    • 07:56 PM
    Flag this Response
  • perhaps you are now ridding the nasal area of trapped tar and phlegm from the former years of smoking and it's draining into your throat when you sleep..then it would make sense your coughing up phlegm as well. Try cleansing the sinuses with warm water and steam to speed up the break down of the toxins releasing from the nose... and then it won't drain at night? A nettle pot or warm wash cloth in the shower...inhale the water and spit it out through the mouth and low the nose.I have never smoked and I am having the same problem. I have not been told that I have bad breath but I can taste it every time that I breath. It is so disgusting. I brush my teeth twice a day, floss once a day and gargle. None of this seems to help. I too have phlegm in the back of my throat.
  • I too have this problem. I, also have phlem in the back of my throat. The bad taste kind of pops up whenever I swallow, be it food or salliva. But I dont think its connected to smoking, as I havent ever smoked. Startin to think its what that one person said though, about it involving food getting trapped in the tonsiles though.
  • I have the same symptoms, revolting taste comes up really bad if I yawn !! My GP said it was a "post-cricoid web" which basically is a web in your throat that catches food and the food then rots there. These webs can be caused by a iron deficiency. I took iron supplements and the taste went away. When it reoccurs I simply take iron supplements because I have a problem obsorbing iron.Hope this hepls
  • I too have this problem. I, also have phlem in the back of my throat. The bad taste kind of pops up whenever I swallow, be it food or salliva. But I dont think its connected to smoking, as I havent ever smoked. Startin to think its what that one person said though, about it involving food getting trapped in the tonsiles though.I am having this exact problem--for a couple of days now! Ughhh it's horrible
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• I've had a revolting taste in the back of my throat for several months. I've been to see my Dr and he has been unable to diagnose anything.My diet has not changed nor have my meds, in fact nothing in my lifestyle has really changed, apart from getting to the gym a couple of extra times a week.The taste is revolting, its not metallic, more like a mouldy, festering taste that I really can't properly describe and I can taste it deep in the back of my throat pretty much all the time, though sometimes, like when I eat it can get abruptly much worse, then fade back a little.I'm assured that I don't have bad breath, my teeth have been checked and don't have anything wrong.The only other thing I have noticed is that I seem to be bringing up lots of Phlegm, similar to when I first gave up smoking several years ago. I'm probably bringing up phlegm 3 times a day, but don't have a cold or any obvious illness. The only things I have had had done recently (in the last 4 months) is a nose piercing which hasn't given me any problems.Any ideas would be welcome!!I went to the doctor for pretty much the same thing except I don't have a phlegm problem. She ordered a blood test which showed nothing but the problem was still there. My tonsils looked a little puffy but my problem has been going on for almost a year. She ordered an ultrasound and now how found nodules on my thyroid which led to a thyroid scan. Before I had even gotten home the doctor called and said I needed to see a surgeon about one of the nodules which was classified as a "hot nodule". I haven't been to the surgeon but i'm hoping what ever is causing this taste is from the thyroid. I'll do my best to keep you posted. My tonsils are not my problem!!
  • Its called PND - Post nasal drip . Its you sinses at the back of your throat. You use a neti pot to wash you pipes out. eventually it goes away. Im sure you'll find more cures on the web.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 10, 2010
    • 11:55 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have it on and off, it has been with me now for a week and a half, and I don't have any tonsils. My doctor says it may possibly be stomach acid backing up the throat? I sure wish I could get rid if it it is almost a chemical taste?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 25, 2010
    • 03:52 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hello I think I found something that would be helpful! Were any of you eating pine nuts? I found this on another web page! Hope it helps."The eating of pine nuts can cause serious taste disturbances, developing 1-3 days after consumption and lasting for days or weeks. A bitter, metallic taste is described. In general, a minority of pine nuts on the market present this problem. Though very unpleasant, there does not seem to be a real health concern. — Wikipedia"
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 25, 2010
    • 04:03 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Have you tried gargling with grapefruit seed extract (not to be confused with grapeseed) its a natural antibiotic, just mix few drops with water and gargle away.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 26, 2010
    • 07:51 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hello I think I found something that would be helpful! Were any of you eating pine nuts? I found this on another web page! Hope it helps."The eating of pine nuts can cause serious taste disturbances, developing 1-3 days after consumption and lasting for days or weeks. A bitter, metallic taste is described. In general, a minority of pine nuts on the market present this problem. Though very unpleasant, there does not seem to be a real health concern. — Wikipedia"This is so weird, but your response was so helpful to me. I was on this website as I've had a bad bitter taste on the back of my tongue (taste buds area) for the past 3 days and was concerned about it. I did have pine nuts 4 nights ago and again 2 nights ago, which I had toasted and put in couscous. I'm hoping that that is the reason and that it will go away at some point, but who would have ever thought of that???? Thank you so much!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 2, 2010
    • 06:16 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Have you been tested for Chlamydia? Don't freak out! I mean Chlamydia pneumoniae - a lung desease. It sounds like it might be it!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 8, 2010
    • 11:06 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I too have this problem. I, also have phlem in the back of my throat. The bad taste kind of pops up whenever I swallow, be it food or salliva. But I dont think its connected to smoking, as I havent ever smoked. Startin to think its what that one person said though, about it involving food getting trapped in the tonsiles though.I had this problem for several years and could never get a doctor to agree with me. I have never smoked but always felt stuffed up way back behind my nose, phlegm, yucky taste that would make me nauseous (sp?) and horrible breath. I resorted to squeezing my tonsils with a wide throat stick and that was just too much. Finally found a doctor who agreed to remove my tonsils. I was 32 at the time and all the previous doctors wouldn't do it because of the recovery time. IT WAS THE BEST THING I EVER DID!!!!!! No more smell, no more taste, no more being nauseous, no more phlegm, no more stuffiness. Doctor said they were some of the worst tonsils he had ever seen. They looked Ok on the outside but inside they were rotting. The best part is that I used to get frequent sore throats, and strep throat. No more of that either and it has been 11 years. Took two weeks to be pain free but it was worth it.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 14, 2010
    • 03:32 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I have been having the same EXACT problem too! (minus the smoking part) NOTHING helps!! Maybe there is some new weird disease going around?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 29, 2010
    • 06:37 AM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement