Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

broken toe/ft bone-1 yr ago; still swells, numbness, pain - HELP!!!???

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 2 Replies
  • Posted By: spoookee
  • January 31, 2007
  • 02:55 PM

I am at a complete loss.

1 year ago, I kicked (very hard) a doorjam and broke my pinky toe on my right foot. BAD! I didn't go to the Dr. thinking 'what can they do for a broken toe.' However over a year has gone by, and to this day, if I do hardly any walking at all, or wear shoes for any extended period of time - the toe itself swells up like a melon, and discolors - mild bruising that shows up on the inside of that toe, and runs up into my foot.

I've broken plenty of toes in my life - but this one was severe. I FINALLY got the insurance, and money, to have it looked at. My Dr. did x-rays, and said the bones looked fine. Did an MRI, and diagnosed me with an ankle problem, and plantar fasciitis. While he was correct that I have those problems, he complete missed the mark on the main reason I went in (in) the first place. I tried to show him a picture of the toe when it happened, and explain that the same type of bruising still appears and goes up into the foot - and HE CUT ME OFF! and exclaimed that "there is nothing wrong with that toe."

It does not take a medical degree to know there is something wrong with BOTH my toe, and that upper right quadrant of the foot. Normal healthy toes and feet do not swell and turn colors from merely walking and wearing shoes.

Symptoms - extreme swelling, in the toe and up into the foot. Sometimes tingling/partial numbness of the actual toe. Does anybody have any suggestions? Experienced anything similar? I need a doctor that will take me seriously and not heard me thru the office like a cow going to the stable.

Beyond Frustrated - cried all weekend. Please help if you possibly can.

Reply Flag this Discussion

2 Replies:

• You might have damaged a ligament. You can do nothing else but see a different doctor - preferably after it swells up. It sounds a bit worrying when you say you have broken plenty of toes in your life.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 31, 2007
    • 06:02 PM
    Flag this Response
  • As far as breaking many toes - I'm a clutz! Growing up we used to have a majorly heavy duty coffee table and my whole family called it the "table of death for toes." I thought maybe it was a ligament myself - but do not understand why the doctor didn't notice this in the MRI results. Crazy to say there is nothing wrong with it though - healthy hands/fingers and feet/toes don't usually swell and turn colors.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 31, 2007
    • 06:29 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement