Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Pressure in head and muffled ears!

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 5 Replies
  • Posted By: blondie-25
  • January 30, 2007
  • 10:06 AM

I have had pressure in my head, especially whe I'm laying down at night to sleep, and muffled ears, with a buzzing noise in my right ear. I thought at first I just had a bit of a head cold, but this has been going on for about 3 weeks now. I also seem to notice that my pulse is a bit erratic, and I have trouble sleeping, as for some reason, I seem to think I stop breathing. I don't know wether this is true, or if I'm just a bit anxious. I have Ulcerative Colitis, and am on 6mp, asacol, and having been using predfoam for ages. I've been unactive for quite a time due to the uc, and am considering surgery. I find it difficult to believe all the symptoms are psychosomatic, esp the head and ear thing. Please help! It's driving me insane!

Reply Flag this Discussion

5 Replies:

• It sounds to me that it may be 2 things- a sinus infection, and an anxiety problem. A sinus infection can sometimes feel like just extreme pressure, especially on top, in front of the crown of your head. I describe it as, "feeling as if I drilled a hole in the top, I might get some relief." I once had this happen for about 2 weeks, before I saw a Dr. It was especially bad when I bent over, or in your case, lying down, which causes more pressure, due to gravity not having as much pull, when your not upright. I also suffer from anxiety disorder, and that is why I'm up right now. When I lie down, I keep having anxiety attacks, and even though I know that it's anxiety, I still can't reason myself into thinking that my heart is not about to explode...or stop. I know that it's related to the fact that my hips are hurting very bad....another pain often triggers it(physically or emotionally). I'm trying to deal with one pain, and then my heart starts beating out of control, and I feel like I might not be getting enough oxygen into my body. While a mental disorder, anxiety is not "all in your head"....or, at least the symptoms aren't. It's a chemical imbalance, and illness, and just like a diabetic, who needs insulin, to not be symptomatic of their illness, people who suffer from anxiety can greatly improve their quality of life by taking meds that increase or balance out these chemicals that their brains are depleated of. I'm on another medication right now, and sometimes that interferes with the effectiveness of my SSRI(Selective Saratonin Reuptake Inhibitor....or anti-depressent). Hope you get to feeling better soon, but if you DO have an infection, you really need to get an anti-biotic to clear it up:)
    FixMEdoc 53 Replies
    • January 30, 2007
    • 11:17 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Thank you, will definitely check it out with my doctor! :)
    blondie-25 11 Replies
    • February 1, 2007
    • 10:18 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi,I started with similae symptoms to you, except I also experienced episodes of Vertigo as well as a distorted and reduced hearing in my left ear. I have sinced been diagnosed as having Menieres Syndrome. Perhaps this could be the same with you?Hope this helps! :)Dave
    ODAAT07 1 Replies
    • February 1, 2007
    • 10:33 AM
    Flag this Response
  • In addition, since your ear, nose and throat are all connected...the infection can cause pressure in your ear canal, muffling sound...can also cause nausea from both the infection in your body and the loss of equilibrium to to ear pressure....If your anything like I was(which was about 6 years ago....and I still remember it all to well), I know that you are miserable, and hope that you get it resolved soon. You REALLY have to see a Dr. though. If it IS an infection....it will not go away without some anti-biotics. Best of wishes to you:)
    FixMEdoc 53 Replies
    • February 1, 2007
    • 08:37 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I will see my gp tomorrow. I also feel pressure round my throat, so it sounds likely that it may be an infection. God, I hate antibiotics! Thank you for all the info thought!
    blondie-25 11 Replies
    • February 1, 2007
    • 11:20 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement