Discussions By Condition: Mouth conditions

Bitter Taste in Mouth

Posted In: Mouth conditions 140 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • January 30, 2007
  • 00:48 AM

For the last three days, every time I eat something sweet, I get a bitter taste in my mouth. I don't notice it when I'm not eating, or when I eat something that isn't sweet. It only occurs when I eat sweets. I can almost tell it's coming from the back half of my tongue as opposed to the front area. This has never happened before. A little background possibilities...I was refinishing some stairs in my house (sanding raw wood with a sander). I didn't wear a mask. I was wondering if it was that or maybe I burned my tongue on hot chocolate. Anyone had this happen to them, and if so, does it go away eventually?!

Reply Flag this Discussion
  • i would give it another week, if it gets worse i would mabey see someone about it. but if its just the last couple of days, i would monitor it first. dont know if this helps, but best of luck!T
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 1, 2007
    • 04:28 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Thanks for trying to help :)There's still a bitter taste going on. I'm going to wait it out a few more days in hopes it mysteriously disappears like it appeared in the first place.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 2, 2007
    • 05:22 PM
    Flag this Response
  • For the last three days, every time I eat something sweet, I get a bitter taste in my mouth. I don't notice it when I'm not eating, or when I eat something that isn't sweet. It only occurs when I eat sweets. I can almost tell it's coming from the back half of my tongue as opposed to the front area. This has never happened before. A little background possibilities...I was refinishing some stairs in my house (sanding raw wood with a sander). I didn't wear a mask. I was wondering if it was that or maybe I burned my tongue on hot chocolate. Anyone had this happen to them, and if so, does it go away eventually?!I was like that for 4 months. One day I collapsed. I had an unexplained liver inflammation that crippled me for 2 months and counting. From that day I started to research. I discovered about refined sugar and other sugars.Avoid sugar- it is an "antinutrient". It depletes cells from energy. Potential Cancer cells thrive on sugar too. Sugar makes your system go on chemical chaos for hours.Just to put it in historical context, refined sugar was invented around 1740. This is when many new diseases arose among the people who could afford the rare commodity. *If you crave sugar, you are probably addicted to it.Take Care.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 2, 2007
    • 05:49 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Just wondering, how did your taste buds have anything to do with your liver? Also, about the issue of your taste buds tasting bitter when eating something sweet, did you have any other symptoms going on at the time? Sometimes hindsight is 20/20. Just wondering if that was your only symptom at the time.Thanks for posting to me though!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 3, 2007
    • 10:10 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Just wondering, how did your taste buds have anything to do with your liver? Also, about the issue of your taste buds tasting bitter when eating something sweet, did you have any other symptoms going on at the time? Sometimes hindsight is 20/20. Just wondering if that was your only symptom at the time.Thanks for posting to me though!Well- your liver produces bile- it is believed that a bad liver spews bad bile that can go up to the mouth . Some people report something that "tastes like a bad egg in their mouth". But I personally did not feel that way.I had a bad taste and thirst.Also I felt a bit more hyper than usual- but I was not feeling sick.Your taste buds have a lot to do with your digestive organs. For example, when one eats pepper, the pepper reaches the taste buds and the taste buds send a message to your stomach to produce digestive acid to prepare for digestion. What the taste buds message is to the body when one actually eats sugar, is something that I would like to know.If you are a meat eater- I would recommend you keeping your protein intake to 35 grams of protein a day.I loved meat and milk, as well as sugar- but I was not eating more than the average person. I have to run- but take care!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 3, 2007
    • 11:45 PM
    Flag this Response
  • > "I had a bad taste and thirst.Also I felt a bit more hyper than usual- but I was not feeling sick."No, not like me at all (unfortunately, in some ways). Not hyper, nor lethargic. I 100% feel like "me." I'm not exessively thirsty nor frequent urination for that matter. And, I know the taste of bile. This is not bile. This is something that only OCCURS when I eat something sweet. And, I've narrowed the location down to just the back half of my tongue. When I eat ANYTHING other than sweets, the wierd taste is nonexistent. I went to the doc yesterday out of fear of a brain tumor. (Someone talked to a neurologist who said it could be a tumor pressing on a nerve.) So I went to the doctor immediately scared to death! I told him what that friend told me and he didn't think it was that. I had no other symptoms and also because my taste is so circumstantial (meaning I only have the issue with certain foods.) He said that he was leaning more toward the fact I had some tooth work done early in January. It was a two surface filling. He said he could have hit a nerve. I'm going in on Monday to have my bite adjusted anyway so he said to talk to the dentist more about this. He (the doc) was so not concerned also due to the fact I had NO other symptoms going on. So next step is the dentist. If he doesn't know, then the doc said to go to an ENT for some taste testing procedures to find the nerve that's effected.Thanks so much for your help though! I TOTALLY appreciate any and ALL ideas here!!!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 4, 2007
    • 01:21 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Good news, I got rid of the bitter taste! I went on a mission to fix this before I had to go see the ENT (made an appt. for a week from now). I bought saline solution, Musinex, and used decongestents and gargled with peroxide. Well, after only doing it two times my bitter taste started to disappear! It must have been the saw dust from sanding my stairs in my house. It was odd though that I didn't taste the bitterness unless I had something sweet in my mouth. Also, I never felt congested and the doc even said I wasn't congested. Wierd. Just glad that's over! And, I'm going to continue to use the saline, Musinex and peroxide for another couple days just to make sure it's all gone.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 7, 2007
    • 08:06 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have a similiar problem but I get a sweet/bitter taste and does seem to be worse with sweetds...I want to try what you did...Can you tell me how much of each--saline-mucinex-decongestant (which one) and peroxide that you used....Thanks
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 21, 2007
    • 10:57 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I would be GLAD to help out someone who has this problem, especially since I was beginning to feel like an alien!!! Imagine how big cyberspace is, and the fact I couldn't find ANYTHING that could tell me what that was. I was originally afraid it was a brain tumor because my dad died of brain cancer and the closest thing anyone or the net would tell me was that my condition could be due to a tumor pressing on the olfactory nerve in the brain. Talk about scary!Did your problem arise after having been in an environment with sawdust or any other allergen that is in the air? That's what caused mine...sanding without a mask on. Anyhow, here's the way I got rid of mine: I used peroxide (mix it 50/50 with water. I actually used a tad bit more peroxide than water.) I gargled it for one minute. Then repeated it one more time. Then I got saline solution and snorted it in each nostril (holding close the other unused nostril). I did that in one nostril and then the other, and repeated that three times. When you feel that run down your throat (because you WILL), cough it up and spit it out. What I just posted, I did three times a day.About pills: I took decongestents (NO antihistimine, just plain decong.--get the kind behind the counter that the pharmacist has to give you. The fake stuff doesn't work.) I took those according to directions, like every four or five hours. I also bought Musinex pills. I bought the expectorant one (guiffenisin only) and took that as recommended on bottle. That's it. Good luck!!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 22, 2007
    • 00:50 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Thanks so much for the info...I am on my way to CVS to get everything...I will let you know the results--if and when I get some...
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 25, 2007
    • 09:49 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I've been dealing on and off with a bitter taste in my mouth for the last three years. It has resided in the top left side of my mouth. The tooth at the very back underwent a root canal recently due to decay. I'm a regular brush and flossing type person, however I still had to undergo this procedure.After the root canal I'm back to having the bitter taste that I would say seems somewhat acidic too. The gum is fine after seeing the dentist today and there's no infection.I would love to get rid of the taste as it's also effecting my stomach and making me feel a little under the weather. I do have some nasal conditions at this time and take a nasal spray to help with nasal drip.I'm wondering if the issue is more nasal cavity and somehow effecting one side of my mouth?Anyone else with something similar, let me know. Over the last three years it is true that the taste comes and goes in seasons so perhaps I have nothing to be worried about. I have been given a mouth wash called ClosysII so we will see.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 26, 2007
    • 11:54 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• I'm now a registered user and subsribed to this thread. Question is listed above....
    mpowerme 5 Replies
    • February 27, 2007
    • 00:06 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Go get some Musinex D (Guiffenison only). Also take real decongestants. Salt water spray, gargling half and half of peroxide (1 minute) and brushing the tongue. Do all this three times a day. Keep all this up for about a week. I bet you'll notice a difference by just the end of the first day.I still have a tiny tiny bit of a salty/bitter taste but it's so minimal I hardly notice it (about 5%). I'm sure once the sawdust dissipates from my upper sinus passages in my head, over time, I'll be back to 100%.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 27, 2007
    • 07:20 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Go get some Musinex D (Guiffenison only). Also take real decongestants. Salt water spray, gargling half and half of peroxide and water (1 minute) and brushing the tongue. Do all this three times a day. Keep all this up for about a week. I bet you'll notice a difference by just the end of the first day.I still have a tiny tiny bit of a salty/bitter taste but it's so minimal I hardly notice it (about 5%). I'm sure once the sawdust dissipates from my upper sinus passages in my head, over time, I'll be back to 100%.Let us know if this works for you! I bet it will.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 27, 2007
    • 07:22 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Go get some Musinex D (Guiffenison only). Also take real decongestants. Salt water spray, gargling half and half of peroxide and water (1 minute) and brushing the tongue. Do all this three times a day. Keep all this up for about a week. I bet you'll notice a difference by just the end of the first day.I still have a tiny tiny bit of a salty/bitter taste but it's so minimal I hardly notice it (about 5%). I'm sure once the sawdust dissipates from my upper sinus passages in my head, over time, I'll be back to 100%.Let us know if this works for you! I bet it will.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 27, 2007
    • 07:23 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I've started the saline spray and have a good mouth wash rinse that I can gargle with that the dentist gave me. If that doesn't help I'll move to the more aggressive steps with a decongestant if need be. So far I'm noticing some improvement already. I think the saline spray was an excellent idea and I use that at night before bed.
    mpowerme 5 Replies
    • February 27, 2007
    • 09:56 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I Have Been Having A Bitter Taste In The My Mouth. It All Happened3 Days Ago When I Was Having Lunch And Suddenly I Felt Dizzy LikeI Was On A Ship. I Thought It My Be Excessive Bile Excretion So I Forced My Self To Vomit The Next Morning And True Enough ThereWas Bile. After 2 Mornings Of The Forced Vomiting The Bitter TasteHas Not Gone And The Dizziness Still There. Any Comments?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • i have a biter taste on left rear portion of my tongue,i noticed this after i was taken to the hospital for dizziness,vomiting,and unable to maintain eye focus.it felt like i had been poisoned.all symptoms are slowly subsiding but i fear the 5 doctors i saw really don't have a clue.i will try the saline-paroxide trick.thanks jim
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Perhaps you should try a saline nasal rinse kit instead of snorting the danged stuff - you can get a kit at a drug store for about $17.00. I use it every day at half the strength because it sometimes leaves a terrible smell and taste in my nose and mouth for a few hours (not all the time). I am working on clearing out my sinuses to see if that relieves my allergy coughing and nasal congestion. Still in my 2nd week, although one day I didn't cough at all. Beats snorting it and having the fluid run down your throat. Are you trying to drown yourself or get pneumonia?I would be GLAD to help out someone who has this problem, especially since I was beginning to feel like an alien!!! Imagine how big cyberspace is, and the fact I couldn't find ANYTHING that could tell me what that was. I was originally afraid it was a brain tumor because my dad died of brain cancer and the closest thing anyone or the net would tell me was that my condition could be due to a tumor pressing on the olfactory nerve in the brain. Talk about scary!Did your problem arise after having been in an environment with sawdust or any other allergen that is in the air? That's what caused mine...sanding without a mask on. Anyhow, here's the way I got rid of mine: I used peroxide (mix it 50/50 with water. I actually used a tad bit more peroxide than water.) I gargled it for one minute. Then repeated it one more time. Then I got saline solution and snorted it in each nostril (holding close the other unused nostril). I did that in one nostril and then the other, and repeated that three times. When you feel that run down your throat (because you WILL), cough it up and spit it out. What I just posted, I did three times a day.About pills: I took decongestents (NO antihistimine, just plain decong.--get the kind behind the counter that the pharmacist has to give you. The fake stuff doesn't work.) I took those according to directions, like every four or five hours. I also bought Musinex pills. I bought the expectorant one (guiffenisin only) and took that as recommended on bottle. That's it. Good luck!!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 25, 2007
    • 11:01 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I was like that for 4 months. One day I collapsed. I had an unexplained liver inflammation that crippled me for 2 months and counting. From that day I started to research. I discovered about refined sugar and other sugars.Avoid sugar- it is an "antinutrient". It depletes cells from energy. Potential Cancer cells thrive on sugar too. Sugar makes your system go on chemical chaos for hours.Just to put it in historical context, refined sugar was invented around 1740. This is when many new diseases arose among the people who could afford the rare commodity. *If you crave sugar, you are probably addicted to it.Take Care.Was you ever tested for sjogren's syndrome? This can cause a bitter tatse in the mouth as well as The hallmark symptoms of dry eyes and dry mouth. Sjögren's may also cause dryness of other organs, affecting the kidneys, GI tract, blood vessels, lung, liver, pancreas, and the central nervous system. Many patients experience debilitating fatigue and joint pain. Symptoms can plateau, worsen, or go into remission. While some people experience mild symptoms, others suffer debilitating symptoms that greatly impair their quality of life. http://www.sjogrens.org/syndrome/ this link has more info on this condition A good thing for bitter tastes in the mouth as well as a dry mouth is using Biotene products. The toothpaste does not contain SLS, using SLS free toothpaste can help with numerous mouth problems from taste issues to mouth sores.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 26, 2007
    • 04:48 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement