Discussions By Condition: Skin conditions

itchy red bite type spots

Posted In: Skin conditions 20 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • January 30, 2007
  • 00:14 AM

my partner has come out in red spots all over her body and she is constantly scratching them and making them weep and scab. she hasnt changed her routine. they are not sore just itchy. they are like insect bites but weepy looking with a burnt skin like scab on them. maybe the scab is due to keep scratching but it does look like a burnt skin type scab. has anyone come across this before....

Reply Flag this Discussion

20 Replies:

• same problem here except it started with a few on the neck and spread to both cheek and jawline, and hairline. also on back where the waistline is. they start really itchy and small red/pink bumps seem to turn dark and scabby but returns and spreads instead of disappearing/healing. had this for a month now, seen a number of doctors who cannot figure it out. steroid creams did not help and it's not parasitic or reaction to detergent or new product. antibiotics are not working and neither are the creams. it gets more itchy with heat than cold. i am really not sure what to do at this point.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 31, 2007
    • 07:37 AM
    Flag this Response
  • hi again....my partner has just had a plain bath with no soaps or washing products and it has eased the itchyness....one thing is though she has used my cream that i have to use for my skin disorder eg psoriasis... the cream helped calm down the itchyness last night in bed. the cream is only helping with the itchness and not getting rid of the spots or curing them. my cream is called EPIDERM which is a cream i use for my psoriasis which helps moisture the dry skin.....i get this off my doctors but believe this can be bought over the counter...give it a go it cant do any harm but moisten your skin....anyone else has any ideas please drop us a line either on here or our emailcolin-siobhanquinton@hotmail.com
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 31, 2007
    • 08:48 PM
    Flag this Response
  • i have these spots too. they're spreading and so itchy. they seem to heal, then get itchy again a week or so later.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 15, 2007
    • 03:10 AM
    Flag this Response
  • about a week ago I started breaking out in itchy bite like spots (neck at first), then it has been spreading over the last 2 days like wild fire. Every time I check, it seems I have more to add to the collection. The first initial spots have grown to the size of a quarter now and they are extremely itchy. Hydrocortisone did not take the itch away, I've tried a product with Tea Tree Oil in it (which helped my son's eczema) and it did not take the redness or itch away. I am beginning to think it is Chicken Pox but they are not getting a pus filled center like chicken pox do. They remain red and itchy. I just tried an oatmeal bath to reduce the itch but it still is just as itchy. Cold or hot, it doesn't matter. The doctor said it was eczema but I sincerely doubt this...any thoughts?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Do a internet search on dermatitis herpetiformis. It's whatmine was. Hope this helps someone - I suffered 8 monthsbefore finding this out.
  • same problem here except it started with a few on the neck and spread to both cheek and jawline, and hairline. also on back where the waistline is. they start really itchy and small red/pink bumps seem to turn dark and scabby but returns and spreads instead of disappearing/healing. had this for a month now, seen a number of doctors who cannot figure it out. steroid creams did not help and it's not parasitic or reaction to detergent or new product. antibiotics are not working and neither are the creams. it gets more itchy with heat than cold. i am really not sure what to do at this point.I WORK AT A HOSPITAL AND ABOUT 20 STAFF MEMBERS BROKEN OUT IN A RASH, IT START IN THE ARMS AND SPREADS ALL OVER THE BODY AND IT IS REALLY ITCHY. WE ALL WENT TO EMPLOYEE HEALTH AND THEY CAN'T FIND THE CAUSE OF THIS RASH. I TRYING TO DO MY OWN RESEARCH PLEASE HELP THANKS
  • me too got spots on back and shoulders and neck sometimes i scratch them and they look like a scab and leave like a little scar but they seem to come and go itchy at night like im bein bitten but im not have been on steiords nothing diff happens. it gets you down more because i just want to no what they are and feel i cant wear nice clouths
  • any chance any of these are chickenpocs? even if had vaccine there is a chance of still getting it
    prone2injury 28 Replies
    • February 18, 2008
    • 01:39 AM
    Flag this Response
  • i may have something comp diff 2 what you guys are talking about, after looking at the pics of the few diagnoses given- mine seems different...:eek: I first notice them really when i am scratching them...its like the head of a spot, or a bite...then it bleeds, scabs, then scars... They normally appear as a red lump...like a spot but itchy, and it generally my forearms, shoulders, back and at the base of my neck but have on occasion had them on my chest. I first started getting these about 2/3 summers ago and just put it down to bugs but they still appear regularly about 2 or 3 at a time but its not like a rash its like bites Coming out of this winter into summer, i THINK that it gets worse as it warms up... they've left my arms and back with little brown scars all over which isn't nice esp on hols or in the summer- could this be down 2 hay fever?? So far, I've had 2 lots of antibiotics, steroid cream and anti-histamines all with no joy- docs take forever to find out---any clues---:confused: Thnx:)
    emmamay84 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • You might want to do some reading on gluten intolerance.I get these on the back of my neck, legs, and arms any time I ingest gluten.Even the smallest amount seems to bring them out.(I even had to switch to a gluten free shampoo (Dove works for me).)They're no fun. Leave scars and itch and itch.Watch for other symptoms - because if you're gluten intolerant and don't know it/remove it from your diet, you will likely experience other health issues.Good luck!
  • I also started getting something like this a couple of summers ago, usually around the lower back/waist, buttocks, upper thighs. Like a mosquito bite at first, but far more itchy (almost unbearable at times), turns a dark reddish brown, some get quite large (almost an inch across), slooooowly fades and becomes less itchy, but leaves a discoloration. The itching seems to come and go, and there always seems to be a small bump or bumps in the middle of the red area. It just started happening again a week ago. It always seems to happen late summer/early fall; last year I had two rounds of it, end of August, then again in the second half of September. My doctor told me they were mosquito bites and I told him he was nuts. Mosquito bites don't get red if you don't scratch them, they go away in a couple of days, and they DON'T ITCH LIKE THIS! My brother-in-law claims they're from swimming in freshwater when a certain bacteria has gotten above a certain level in the water, but I haven't swam in fw this year. Somebody.. help! HC lotion helps a little, but not for very long.i may have something comp diff 2 what you guys are talking about, after looking at the pics of the few diagnoses given- mine seems different...:eek: I first notice them really when i am scratching them...its like the head of a spot, or a bite...then it bleeds, scabs, then scars... They normally appear as a red lump...like a spot but itchy, and it generally my forearms, shoulders, back and at the base of my neck but have on occasion had them on my chest. I first started getting these about 2/3 summers ago and just put it down to bugs but they still appear regularly about 2 or 3 at a time but its not like a rash its like bites Coming out of this winter into summer, i THINK that it gets worse as it warms up... they've left my arms and back with little brown scars all over which isn't nice esp on hols or in the summer- could this be down 2 hay fever?? So far, I've had 2 lots of antibiotics, steroid cream and anti-histamines all with no joy- docs take forever to find out---any clues---:confused: Thnx:)
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 20, 2010
    • 07:49 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• same problem here except it started with a few on the neck and spread to both cheek and jawline, and hairline. also on back where the waistline is. they start really itchy and small red/pink bumps seem to turn dark and scabby but returns and spreads instead of disappearing/healing. had this for a month now, seen a number of doctors who cannot figure it out. steroid creams did not help and it's not parasitic or reaction to detergent or new product. antibiotics are not working and neither are the creams. it gets more itchy with heat than cold. i am really not sure what to do at this point.Have you considered that perhaps you have bed bugs? They are really hard to find.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 4, 2010
    • 11:39 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I'm a 14 year old girl and I woke up a couple of days ago with a spot on my hand and a few on my face, now I'm seeing them on my chest, neck, legs, arms pretty much my whole body is just dotted with these spots. The reason I noticed they had spread was because of the itchiness. They are really annoying and everyday I find a dozen more. Anyone know if these conditions are linked?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 25, 2011
    • 11:53 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I too have th,e same, the large ones on my neck are not very red but are a discolored and ichy, while my chest are more pimplely. I've not changed any part of my routine and my mate has none of this. It is very dry, and a randomly loition up with random lotion, but not usually in these spots as they are not too dry....... its not ringworm (creates a visible ring)
  • Have you checked out grovers disease?
  • i may have something comp diff 2 what you guys are talking about, after looking at the pics of the few diagnoses given- mine seems different...:eek: I first notice them really when i am scratching them...its like the head of a spot, or a bite...then it bleeds, scabs, then scars... They normally appear as a red lump...like a spot but itchy, and it generally my forearms, shoulders, back and at the base of my neck but have on occasion had them on my chest. I first started getting these about 2/3 summers ago and just put it down to bugs but they still appear regularly about 2 or 3 at a time but its not like a rash its like bites Coming out of this winter into summer, i THINK that it gets worse as it warms up... they've left my arms and back with little brown scars all over which isn't nice esp on hols or in the summer- could this be down 2 hay fever?? So far, I've had 2 lots of antibiotics, steroid cream and anti-histamines all with no joy- docs take forever to find out---any clues---:confused: Thnx:)This sounds like an allergic reaction of some sort, have you checked how toxic your body is? e.g for heavy metals via hair test? Do you have any "silver" dental fillings as these contain mercury and increase the body burden.
  • I also started getting something like this a couple of summers ago, usually around the lower back/waist, buttocks, upper thighs. Like a mosquito bite at first, but far more itchy (almost unbearable at times), turns a dark reddish brown, some get quite large (almost an inch across), slooooowly fades and becomes less itchy, but leaves a discoloration. The itching seems to come and go, and there always seems to be a small bump or bumps in the middle of the red area. It just started happening again a week ago. It always seems to happen late summer/early fall; last year I had two rounds of it, end of August, then again in the second half of September. My doctor told me they were mosquito bites and I told him he was nuts. Mosquito bites don't get red if you don't scratch them, they go away in a couple of days, and they DON'T ITCH LIKE THIS! My brother-in-law claims they're from swimming in freshwater when a certain bacteria has gotten above a certain level in the water, but I haven't swam in fw this year. Somebody.. help! HC lotion helps a little, but not for very long.omg! have you found out this is?? my spots are identical to what you described. I hope you'll see my post, since you posted this one so long ago. I'm really freaked out by these things, and just want to know what they are :(
  • Hey all. I had something very similar to what you had described. I went away to an island getaway one summer and came back with red bites, they turn into ugly scabs once scratched. Had them on and off for 2years+, very frustrating.However, I did get prescribed some creams that got rid of the scabs, as mine did not go away naturally. The 2 creams were Bactroban (antibiotic - Mupirocin) and Advantan (Methylprednisolone aceponate). I am from Australia, so it might be under other names, just ask your doc/pharmacist. When I applied only one of them (whichever was prescribed first, sorry I can't remember), it didnt do much. Then the doctor prescribed a second cream and I started applying both and it worked. Having said that, it might just be the 2nd cream thats having the effect. So try each one, before applying both. NOTE: speak to your doctor first about these cream, as they are both prescription drugs. I have no medical background whatsoever.Hope this would help some of you as I know how annoying these things are. After applying them they still reappeared for quite some time, but for now they are all gone. For a period I was just creaming one scab and a red lump will pop up somewhere, then the original will pop up again, but over time they stopped. Good luck all
    aaachu 2 Replies
    • February 16, 2012
    • 10:38 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi all, I've had something very similar to what most of you had described. Itchy red bite like things, scratch, scabs, pops up randomly. Got this a couple years ago from an island trip, so it might be salt water like one member suggested.Anyways I was prescribed a couple of cream that got rid of the scabs as mine did not go away naturally.They were Advantan (Methylprednisolone aceponate), and Bactroban (Mupirocin). I was prescribed one first (sorry I forgot which) and it didn't work, so I started applying both and it worked. So try them individually before trying both.The creams definitely helped, but they still popped up here and there for quite some time. I had this problem for 2years on and off.NOTE: I have no medical background, so make sure you speak to your doctor first!Anyways hope this is of help to some of you.Good LUck!
    aaachu 2 Replies
    • February 16, 2012
    • 10:56 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi all, I've had something very similar to what most of you had described. Itchy red bite like things, scratch, scabs, pops up randomly. Got this a couple years ago from an island trip, so it might be salt water like one member suggested.Anyways I was prescribed a couple of cream that got rid of the scabs as mine did not go away naturally.They were Advantan (Methylprednisolone aceponate), and Bactroban (Mupirocin). I was prescribed one first (sorry I forgot which) and it didn't work, so I started applying both and it worked. So try them individually before trying both.The creams definitely helped, but they still popped up here and there for quite some time. I had this problem for 2years on and off.NOTE: I have no medical background, so make sure you speak to your doctor first!Anyways hope this is of help to some of you.Good LUck!Sounds very familiar!!! Which 'island getaway' are you referring to as I have very similar marks on my legs after a trip to an Island in Australia in the last few weeks :/
    Akidaki 1 Replies
    • October 17, 2012
    • 00:50 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement