Discussions By Condition: Gastrointestinal conditions

Burning LOWER GUT as well as stomach

Posted In: Gastrointestinal conditions 28 Replies
  • Posted By: Ol'Line Rebel
  • January 26, 2007
  • 11:49 PM

Hi, I'm new here. Hope you won't mind my long post, 1st thing!

Anyone have burning LOWER GUT or ever heard of such a thing as a disease/condition? Please help if you have any idea. I can't get to my doc for another 2.5 weeks.

I thought the burning stomach was bad enough, but slowly over the last few months, I've felt a light burn lower.

Brief history: Been suffering alleged "reflux disease" for a year and been on Nexium every day for almost as long. Suffer alot with throat, so have been on 2x/day and 300 mg Zantac for some 6 mos now. Only solid diagnosis is "mild" gastroparesis (GP), tried Reglan for 2 weeks (horrible heart/nerve side effects) in Oct. Stopped that and have nothing for GP now.

Well, it wouldn't be so bad except the Sunday night I had a HORRIBLE bout of something. Don't know if it was allergies (I seem to have some nerve/gut reaction to some things, not clear that night though), virus, or some other reaction. In any case, it involved HORRIBLE burning all through my torso - including my lower GI. I mean, horrible. Made me writhe in pain and had to "vocalize". I very quickly got really, really weak (fainty), sweated profusely (this all matched with allergic problems), and felt either I had to faint or "go to the bathroom" - either end. As it was, I had a BM which was "normal" except I knew it was "rushed out" as if to get out of the way. Practically passed out on the floor, too weak to move from the toilet. But minutes later had to go again - this time definitely BM of diarrhea, mixed mushy/liquid. Felt a tiny bit better. Tried to sleep. About 2 hrs later, had to go again - almost pure liquid. Still felt pretty weak but not as bad as when it hit, nearly.

All the time present, though, was this burning all through my gut, including the intestinal area. I have NEVER had such a thing as burning intestines. The sudden onset was HORRIBLE. I really felt like I was being microwaved - burning inside out!

And it's not nice ever since, but tolerable. However, it all scares me now, that I have a NEW problem that won't leave. I still get burning not just in my stomach now, but apparently down in my intestines. It is a nagging, irritating burn; worse than any vague burn I felt before the "episode".

Anyone ever have such a burning gut? Anything in common with my history? Do you know anything about such conditions?

Reply Flag this Discussion

28 Replies:

• Could it have been something you ate? I got food poisoning from sushi a few years back, and the symptoms were similar, with the addition of a bad headache, fever, and a few more disgusting details I don't want to mention(shudder)...
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 27, 2007
    • 01:15 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi, thanks for posting. That pretty much describes all I went through. Yes, maybe it could've been something I ate, but I doubt it given my husband never had any problem (of course, we've had different snacks). Did you having this burning sensation, though? For a week or more? As I said, it's not unbearable, but the fact I'm now almost constantly feeling a low-abdomen burn somewhere scares me that I have a new (permanent) phase of GI problems. If I knew it would go away at some point, I'd be fine, but now I worry about having another permanent problem.
    Ol'Line Rebel 5 Replies
    • January 27, 2007
    • 07:51 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi, thanks for posting. That pretty much describes all I went through. Yes, maybe it could've been something I ate, but I doubt it given my husband never had any problem (of course, we've had different snacks). Did you having this burning sensation, though? For a week or more? As I said, it's not unbearable, but the fact I'm now almost constantly feeling a low-abdomen burn somewhere scares me that I have a new (permanent) phase of GI problems. If I knew it would go away at some point, I'd be fine, but now I worry about having another permanent problem.I had the symptoms for a week or so, but I had the chills, headaches, etc. along with the burning in the lower abdomen for the whole time. If you're just feeling the burning, maybe what you had wasn't caused by bacteria/whatever in food. Also, you're right that the fact that your husband ate the same thing without a problem suggests food was not the issue. So I'm not sure what it is. I'd check with your doctor. Best of luck.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 28, 2007
    • 02:01 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have had a growing problem with burning intestines too, but it is always on my left side and in the large colon that descends out of the body. I have been tested for everything and they still can not find out why this happens to me. Back in October and November I got really sick and had diahrea for 6 weeks straight. One doctor suggested that I may have Celiac Disease and she had tests sent to Mayo to confirm. While we waited I pulled all of the wheat out of my diet and my symptoms did get better, so much better that as long as I stay away from Wheat...I don't have the pain in my lower left back region, I don't wake up in the middle of the night with the burning acidic feeling and the urge to run to the bathroom. I use to also have a problem where I could not sleep more than 3 hours a night...this caused so many other issues with my attitude and my engery...not to mention weight gain of 70lbs. Now that I don't eat wheat, I can sleep all night long...without waking up. I also use to have repeated asthma attacks all night long...I think the removal of wheat has eliminated my asthma attacks too. I could be crazy but I am starting to think that Wheat is something we are ment to eat...all my problems started about 10 years ago...and come to think about it that was about the time I went on the all whole wheat health kick...how ironic.The bad news is Mayo sent the test back and they were negative for Celiac Disease...now I don't know what to think. I was told that they don't not have a good test for Celiac and that there are at times false negatives...perhaps that is what is going on in my case...I wish I could find a doctore that could confirm this for me. I think the only way they can confirm it is to have a colonoscopy and take a biospy. That will be my next step.I wish I could find a doctor that would look at my case more seriously...it is very hard to get a doctor who will crack down and get to the bottom of what the problem is...they just give up. I had one tell me that he had done all he could do and that there was nothing wrong with me. It was all in my head. Got another doctor after that.Write to me at: myeake01@baker.edu...if you have a similar story.Maybe together we can learn more.Thanks for listening!MBY
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 10, 2007
    • 07:02 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I now have tested my theory. Once in a while I will eat wheat...and I'll eat it a couple times a day...like pizza...toast...and with in 24 hours I am running to the bathroom...practically all day.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 10, 2007
    • 07:05 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I think the only way they can confirm it is to have a colonoscopy and take a biospy. That will be my next step. If you haven't been eating a normal "gluten-containing diet" that biopsy will come back negative as well. I'm sort of in the same situation as you, eliminating wheat rye and barley from my diet has gone a LONG way toward curing me of so many varied symptoms its like a miracle. Never had the testing done but by testing myself and my response to dietary changes. The bad news is, its hard to detect. The good news is its hard to detect because as soon as you stop eating wheat you start healing real fast :)
    Azaral 152 Replies
    • February 10, 2007
    • 08:56 PM
    Flag this Response
  • My problems sound identical. For me it usually happens 4 or so hours after dinner, I wake up with severe lower intestinal pain. I have a normal bowl movement followed by diarrhea. The pain is horrible. Then after it is all over, my intestines ache for the rest of the night and some the next day.I've recently had a test for Celiacs Disease through a biopsy of the GI. It came back negative, but I too feel better when I stay away from wheat. I try to just eat fish, chicken, vegetables, and corn based food. Pizza and pasta gives me the worst reaction.Now I'm trying to decide if I should have a colonoscopy to do further testing. Celiacs Disease explains my symptoms so well, I just wish there were better tests for it.
    letterforms 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • Same story as letterforms for me, for the most part. I used to get burning lower intestines when I ate spicy foods or pizza, but then I went 3 weeks without wheat (no gluten), and my intestines seemed to have healed, and I could suddenly eat ANYTHING again.So then I had a colonoscopy (or whatever it is when the gastro-something doctor goes in and looks at your entire internal digestive system) and it was negative for celiac disease. (but I had severe gastritis in the intestines)And just this week, I ate a huge wheat submarine sandwich, and got one of those all-night burning intestinal aches. Pain. And that's why I'm looking around on the net now for answers... because the doctors seems to have no clue, except "stay away from spicy foods".
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • I've suffered from the burning intestines for so long now. I know that there is a problem. I can sometimes shake the upper left side of my intestines and get whatever it is to move around for a moment of relief. You can actually hear it. However, Mylanta Gas Maximum Strength is the best!! It soothes the burning almost immediately. I feel great relief; I can actually feel the Mylanta coming into contact with the ?acid? and taking over. After consuming the Mylanta, air moves down through the colon (intestines), through the rectum and out - via through flatulence. This also brings great relief from my ailment. I have noticed that I experience most of my problems after eating processed foods (i.e. crackers or other boxed snack foods) or during PMS (the week before my period). I live on Mylanta Gas. I have had been through several tests and surgeries. I no longer have my gall bladder. I had a Nissen Fundoplication surgery. I have had upper GI tests, a colonoscopy, and an ultra sound. Nothing was discovered. Don't get me wrong, I am glad no cancer was found. However, I was so hoping for a diagnosis for my "real" problems. I really don't want to be on Mylanta forever - especially considering the side effects I've read about on various sites.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 7, 2009
    • 04:06 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I forgot to say that I also get the burning after eating anything with mint in it and drinking hot tea of any kind.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 7, 2009
    • 04:24 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have the same thing and I think it is associated with lactose intolerance. Stop consuming lactose for three days and see if your pain stops. Only consume whole foods because lactose is in most processed foods. I stopped consuming lactose and all of my digestive problems stopped.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 4, 2009
    • 03:26 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• I have had the same symtoms but I think I finally got mine figured out. After even the doctors thinking it was m gall bladder and having it removed the symtoms did not go away. Nausea, diahrea, awful heartburn that feels like it never goes away no matter what you take. I finally went to a gastrinoligist and did the hydrogen breath test. I had small intestinal bactieria overgrowth which basically sends gas up to your stomach and makes it feel like it on fire. Mite be work a shot to talk to your doctor about it.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 17, 2009
    • 06:10 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Could it have been something you ate? I got food poisoning from sushi a few years back, and the symptoms were similar, with the addition of a bad headache, fever, and a few more disgusting details I don't want to mention(shudder)...Better think about eating sushi. It contains more mercury than any other food.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 6, 2010
    • 05:10 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have had the same symtoms but I think I finally got mine figured out. After even the doctors thinking it was m gall bladder and having it removed the symtoms did not go away. Nausea, diahrea, awful heartburn that feels like it never goes away no matter what you take. I finally went to a gastrinoligist and did the hydrogen breath test. I had small intestinal bactieria overgrowth which basically sends gas up to your stomach and makes it feel like it on fire. Mite be work a shot to talk to your doctor about it.My 12 year old son started having problems in November with what I thought was indigestion. It has progressed to constant stomach burning...the entire stomach area. By late January he was feeling intense burning and we took him to the ER (we were still waiting to get into the gastro) and he checked out ok. They moved up his gastro appointment. They ordered an upper gi which looked fine other than some colon distention. So they ordered a endoscopy and hydrogen breath tests for lactose and fructose. We aren't scheduled for those for another month. Now he is vomitting regularly after eating (like 3 times in the last week) so they are trying to get the endoscopy moved up to this week. For what it is worth he suffers from numerous autoimmune diseases including celiac (which recent blood test showed that we are following the diet just fine) and type 1 diabetes. Any more info would be appreciated. I can be emailed at mcurtis596 at aol dot com.
  • Hi, I'm new here. Hope you won't mind my long post, 1st thing! Anyone have burning LOWER GUT or ever heard of such a thing as a disease/condition? Please help if you have any idea. I can't get to my doc for another 2.5 weeks. I thought the burning stomach was bad enough, but slowly over the last few months, I've felt a light burn lower. Brief history: Been suffering alleged "reflux disease" for a year and been on Nexium every day for almost as long. Suffer alot with throat, so have been on 2x/day and 300 mg Zantac for some 6 mos now. Only solid diagnosis is "mild" gastroparesis (GP), tried Reglan for 2 weeks (horrible heart/nerve side effects) in Oct. Stopped that and have nothing for GP now. Well, it wouldn't be so bad except the Sunday night I had a HORRIBLE bout of something. Don't know if it was allergies (I seem to have some nerve/gut reaction to some things, not clear that night though), virus, or some other reaction. In any case, it involved HORRIBLE burning all through my torso - including my lower GI. I mean, horrible. Made me writhe in pain and had to "vocalize". I very quickly got really, really weak (fainty), sweated profusely (this all matched with allergic problems), and felt either I had to faint or "go to the bathroom" - either end. As it was, I had a BM which was "normal" except I knew it was "rushed out" as if to get out of the way. Practically passed out on the floor, too weak to move from the toilet. But minutes later had to go again - this time definitely BM of diarrhea, mixed mushy/liquid. Felt a tiny bit better. Tried to sleep. About 2 hrs later, had to go again - almost pure liquid. Still felt pretty weak but not as bad as when it hit, nearly. All the time present, though, was this burning all through my gut, including the intestinal area. I have NEVER had such a thing as burning intestines. The sudden onset was HORRIBLE. I really felt like I was being microwaved - burning inside out! And it's not nice ever since, but tolerable. However, it all scares me now, that I have a NEW problem that won't leave. I still get burning not just in my stomach now, but apparently down in my intestines. It is a nagging, irritating burn; worse than any vague burn I felt before the "episode". Anyone ever have such a burning gut? Anything in common with my history? Do you know anything about such conditions?So I have to say, I am practically your twin on this whole thing! I was diagnosed with mild gastroparesis...which I highly doubt I have but can't say that to the Mayo Clinic. I was taking Zantac as well, 300mg per day. It helped me eat because I lost 10lbs in 5 days. I was bed ridden and well had the infamous diarrhea, which involved intense burning sensations. I just had an attack of one today! I think it was the fried zucchini I consumed so I'm staying away from that from now on! Every symptom you described came with my burning sensations. I almost passed out in the bathroom. I did have the same bowel movement as you did. It was normal but then I had some diarrhea. I took an immodium which helped alot but it's probably not the right thing to do. Only thing I can say is that if you ate a lot of greasy foods within the week, which I'm sure you probably won't remember because this post is ancient, that could be the culprit. I've been like this my whole life but just once in a while but it got worse in April 2009 so I've been sick for a year. It may have been some raw salmon I consumed in Japan Town, which could have caused an infection in my intestines causing Gastroparesis. At least that's what my doctor said. I had an endoscopy and colonoscopy. Everything came back normal except I had a small hiatal hernia. I hope you are well now! I know exactly how you feel!
  • I have had similar experiences. Mine started with a massively stressful period about 2 years ago when i lost my job. My stress was so bad it felt like i was burning golf ball size holes in my lower front bowel in the hip area. After the stress passed after a month or two all was fine until a few months later i had burning sensations in lower left bowel which seemed to be moving up towards my stomach area. I went to the doctor and they told me it was muscular. Months further on it moved up towards my middle stomach and then my left rib. I went back to doctor and was told it was still muscular. From my point of view i felt it was something sinister, it moved almost like a cancer slowly spreading and it was easy to get paranoid about it. i started to do phone sessions with the doctor to no avail until i changed doctor surgeries altogether. One day the pain was so bad in lower bowel, rib and lower spine i went to doctor on an emergency appointment. after being questioned as to why i would attend as an emergency appointment i got a brief examination and blood test done by the nurse. Blood tests came back normal. Another 2 visits with same symptoms yielded nothing with no tests done but i was given Omeprazole 20mg for acidic pains in the stomach area. my situation is now that 2 years on i still have burning sensations in the front lower bowel, the middle left section of the stomach, pain in the rib and lower spine and i also have difficulty sleeping at night as i feel like something is pressing against my left lung, its accompanied by sometimes a clicking or croaking in my lungs when i try to sleep. Yesterday im 70% sure i saw bright red blood on the side of my stool, i have been checking them every day for 2 years and now of course this means back to the doctor. I'm sure if i was given a colonoscopy, ultrasound or xray that this would turn up something at least. Im terrified and frantic with worry now and putting on a brave face everyday with the people that i know each day is becoming a struggle. I lost my health 2 years ago and i never got it back. Now i feel like im slowly fading out with some terrible disease such as bowel cancer and with the duration of time that has passed i don't feel greatly optimistic now if they do find anything sinister. I see the doctor again tomorrow so i will indeed keep anyone posted if they are interested or if this helps anyone else in any way. Best regards, Mark.
    mark1234 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • I now have tested my theory. Once in a while I will eat wheat...and I'll eat it a couple times a day...like pizza...toast...and with in 24 hours I am running to the bathroom...practically all day.I think it is important for you to eat accordingly as dont eat too much that it simply causes a problem in your digestion and makes you panic, I mean it will be better to eat right and healthy so that to avoid such problems.Thanks
    namratasnv 30 Replies Flag this Response
  • I have had similar experiences. Mine started with a massively stressful period about 2 years ago when i lost my job. My stress was so bad it felt like i was burning golf ball size holes in my lower front bowel in the hip area. After the stress passed after a month or two all was fine until a few months later i had burning sensations in lower left bowel which seemed to be moving up towards my stomach area. I went to the doctor and they told me it was muscular. Months further on it moved up towards my middle stomach and then my left rib. I went back to doctor and was told it was still muscular. From my point of view i felt it was something sinister, it moved almost like a cancer slowly spreading and it was easy to get paranoid about it. i started to do phone sessions with the doctor to no avail until i changed doctor surgeries altogether. One day the pain was so bad in lower bowel, rib and lower spine i went to doctor on an emergency appointment. after being questioned as to why i would attend as an emergency appointment i got a brief examination and blood test done by the nurse. Blood tests came back normal. Another 2 visits with same symptoms yielded nothing with no tests done but i was given Omeprazole 20mg for acidic pains in the stomach area. my situation is now that 2 years on i still have burning sensations in the front lower bowel, the middle left section of the stomach, pain in the rib and lower spine and i also have difficulty sleeping at night as i feel like something is pressing against my left lung, its accompanied by sometimes a clicking or croaking in my lungs when i try to sleep. Yesterday im 70% sure i saw bright red blood on the side of my stool, i have been checking them every day for 2 years and now of course this means back to the doctor. I'm sure if i was given a colonoscopy, ultrasound or xray that this would turn up something at least. Im terrified and frantic with worry now and putting on a brave face everyday with the people that i know each day is becoming a struggle. I lost my health 2 years ago and i never got it back. Now i feel like im slowly fading out with some terrible disease such as bowel cancer and with the duration of time that has passed i don't feel greatly optimistic now if they do find anything sinister. I see the doctor again tomorrow so i will indeed keep anyone posted if they are interested or if this helps anyone else in any way. Best regards, Mark.
  • My problems sound identical. For me it usually happens 4 or so hours after dinner, I wake up with severe lower intestinal pain. I have a normal bowl movement followed by diarrhea. The pain is horrible. Then after it is all over, my intestines ache for the rest of the night and some the next day.I've recently had a test for Celiacs Disease through a biopsy of the GI. It came back negative, but I too feel better when I stay away from wheat. I try to just eat fish, chicken, vegetables, and corn based food. Pizza and pasta gives me the worst reaction.Now I'm trying to decide if I should have a colonoscopy to do further testing. Celiacs Disease explains my symptoms so well, I just wish there were better tests for it.Even if the celiac was negative, you may still be allergic to wheat. Many people are coming up with this problem and find a wheat free diet to help the situation.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 5, 2010
    • 04:07 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi, I'm new here. Hope you won't mind my long post, 1st thing! Anyone have burning LOWER GUT or ever heard of such a thing as a disease/condition? Please help if you have any idea. I can't get to my doc for another 2.5 weeks. I thought the burning stomach was bad enough, but slowly over the last few months, I've felt a light burn lower. Brief history: Been suffering alleged "reflux disease" for a year and been on Nexium every day for almost as long. Suffer alot with throat, so have been on 2x/day and 300 mg Zantac for some 6 mos now. Only solid diagnosis is "mild" gastroparesis (GP), tried Reglan for 2 weeks (horrible heart/nerve side effects) in Oct. Stopped that and have nothing for GP now. Well, it wouldn't be so bad except the Sunday night I had a HORRIBLE bout of something. Don't know if it was allergies (I seem to have some nerve/gut reaction to some things, not clear that night though), virus, or some other reaction. In any case, it involved HORRIBLE burning all through my torso - including my lower GI. I mean, horrible. Made me writhe in pain and had to "vocalize". I very quickly got really, really weak (fainty), sweated profusely (this all matched with allergic problems), and felt either I had to faint or "go to the bathroom" - either end. As it was, I had a BM which was "normal" except I knew it was "rushed out" as if to get out of the way. Practically passed out on the floor, too weak to move from the toilet. But minutes later had to go again - this time definitely BM of diarrhea, mixed mushy/liquid. Felt a tiny bit better. Tried to sleep. About 2 hrs later, had to go again - almost pure liquid. Still felt pretty weak but not as bad as when it hit, nearly. All the time present, though, was this burning all through my gut, including the intestinal area. I have NEVER had such a thing as burning intestines. The sudden onset was HORRIBLE. I really felt like I was being microwaved - burning inside out! And it's not nice ever since, but tolerable. However, it all scares me now, that I have a NEW problem that won't leave. I still get burning not just in my stomach now, but apparently down in my intestines. It is a nagging, irritating burn; worse than any vague burn I felt before the "episode". Anyone ever have such a burning gut? Anything in common with my history? Do you know anything about such conditions?omg! I have been suffering from these same symptoms on and off for two years..have had endoscopy and they tell me I have a growth where my stomach meets my lower intestine. I have been reasearching and seem to think that I may have chrones disease but they just have no anwsers for me Iam so I'll and no anwsers Iam desperate for help!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 19, 2010
    • 06:37 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement