Discussions By Condition: Female sexual conditions

Recurrent Bacterial Vaginosis infections

Posted In: Female sexual conditions 470 Replies
  • Posted By: sicsty868
  • January 26, 2007
  • 05:47 PM

About 6 months ago I had a BV infection. I rarely get any yeast infections at all but, I wasn't concerned. My doc prescribed something called Clindesse. It seems to clear things up but the BV came back. Since then I've experienced 4 more, back to back. One every month. I asked the doc if my boyfriend could be transmitting it back to me, but she said no. We have both oral and vaginal sex regularly. She told me that frequent sex could cause BV so she told me to get something called RePhresh. It's an over the counter and it's supposed to help keep the vaginal PH levels balanced. Well I tried it last month right after my cycle ended and for the first time in months I actually felt "healthy" down there. No BV either. Then this month right after my cycle I began symptoms of BV again. I used the RePhresh, twice, and it seemed to calm things down, but I'm beginning to feel that irritation (and slight fishy ordor) again so I called my doc today for another prescription. This will be my fifth BV and I'm getting concerned about the frequency. Anyone else ever experience this or have any suggestions of what I should be asking my doc for next? Is it "normal" to keep having these infections? Could this just be my body going through changes? I will be 39 this summer. Help!

Reply Flag this Discussion
  • i have the same problems and have got information from other users about lactobacillis as therapy. One person suggested that you get a probiotic and put two of these capsules in plain unsweeted yogurt and insert vaginally until symptoms disappear. I however have found additional articles that suggested that some lactobacilli are better at getting bid of bacteria than others here's the article. http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=1479476There are two products available that I have found that contain the lactobacilli that this article mentionsJarrow Formulas Femdodophilis Nature's Way Primadophilis ReuteriI have been taking the Nature's way orally for three days now and my symptoms are starting to disappear, however i feel this may be a treatment i have to do everyday. I like you, have had constant problems with BV, getting antibiotics only for it to come back a week later and using rephresh only to have it come back after discontinued use as well. Rephresh is very expensive by the way. I'd try the acidophilis supplements mentioned remember the article is suggested a long term use, but it's worth it. I'd prefer to take supplements long term than antibiotics long term. It's worth a try.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 1, 2007
    • 04:10 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Well, my doc confirmed it's BV again. This time around she gave me 2 doses of Clindesse and suggested I use it back to back. Then she mentioned that I could use the RePhresh twice a week, and perhaps watch my bread and processed sugar intake. But you're right, that RePhresh isn't cheap at almost $20 bucks for 12 days worth of medicine. I don't know how long I'l be using that therepy. She also mentioned she could give me oral antibiotics but 1. that would defeat the purpose of trying to get rid of the yeast, especially since we all know that antibiotics are a yeast infections' best friend and 2. I don't want to keep taking all this medicine. I prefer the natural remedies. I was wondering if what I'm eating might be the culprit. Or maybe I'm not eating enough of something else. I'll check out the websites. Thanks.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 1, 2007
    • 06:46 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I noticed I had to start using this lactobicilli vaginally as well. It is suggested that two capsules mixed with organic yogurt (no sugar, no flavor) for two weeks. Also someone else had suggested going to glycerin only soap. I have yet to try that. I hope this helps as well.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 5, 2007
    • 08:44 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Finally, women like me. BV have been a problem for me since my first child over 8-years ago. It's make me feel dirty despite my frequent bathing/showers, and being intimate is is always with caution (don't wanna scare him away!). I was with the same man for 9-years and with my current mate for 2-years. I'm definitely not promiscuous. My GYN and PCP has prescribed every antibiotic available and it always returns, sometimes with odor others time without you never know. Living with this problem has been my secret nightmare, and it's time for it to end. My current doctor was sure it was a hormonal issue so she prescribed Metro-gel to use three days before my menstrual cycle, and it always re occurs. Maybe trying natural treatment is the way to go.I ready for this problem to come to a end.
    keshiag80 2 Replies
    • February 9, 2007
    • 04:02 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have been on probiotics for two and a half weeks now when i was symptomatic, NO BV!! I take one orally it's the one by nature's way mentioned on the first page. I also use Neutrogena glycerin soap. I have not had it come back at all. And I've been suffering intermittently for ten years. Flagyl was not working anymore on me, nor clindesse nor rephresh. Also I notice that my digestion is alot better. I take the pro-biotics orally. Please try this it is worth it!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 13, 2007
    • 06:42 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I can so relate to your posts! My infections began about 4 months ago with terrible burning and pain...unlike ANY vaginosis (typically thought to be yeast) I had ever had and treated w/ over the counter stuff. My symptoms did not respond to traditional yeast (Miconozole) treatments and I even had to see an urgent care Dr. as it got so bad. I ended up seeing 3 Drs over 4 visits w/ cycles of first Diflucan (presumed yeast - no response to treatment), then Flagyl (much better, but took a while to get better) x 2 courses! I have seen gynocologists and infectious disease people (first started when I came back from field work in a rainforest). I had both GI and vaginal symptoms at first. What has shocked me is that no one can give me any real clinical evidence on which to base their diagnosis and treatment. Made me think I had some rare tropical parasite or terrible bacterium! They even said as much. Now it seems the pattern has evolved to look like BV.Like others have mentioned....my pattern has been symptoms (burning typically...and fishy oder) begin right before my period (a week) and get to the point of requiring treatment...then go away only to return the following month. I tried RepHresh...it only seemed to help when I only had "fishy" stage w/o burning and pain. When that far along, it only exacerbates the pain. I did sits baths x 3/day (GYN suggested) and have been neurotic about soaps and detergents! Seems odd since I never had this problem before!! I also did alot of reading and started Jarrow probiotic FemDophilus while on last course of Flagyl...thought it might have worked..., but did not continue for a month. I read some articles that say as soon as you stop taking them they clear from your GI tract...and hence vagina. I think the point is to increase fermented foods (yogurts, kefer, etc.) daily...to keep your GI/uro-genital tract colonized w/ lactobaccilus...etc.So...here I sit 3 days before the likely start of my period w/ weird symptoms again...I will try my last RePhresh and have resumed the Jarrow FemDophilus by mouth supplements. HAS ANYONE TRIED THEM AS VAGINAL SUPPOSITORIES?? I am a little affraid of doing so...not that I had not thought of it in the throws of my pain! Has anyone read anything saying you can? I ran accross a study done in Africa w/ women at risk of HIV (much increased risk of getting if you have BV) and 90+% almost immediately (as determined by examination of flora and symptoms) had a cure rate w/ vaginal suppositories of the 2 types of bacterium in the Jarrow formula...the only thing I am not sure of, is did they formulate something w/o all the additives that are in the "by mouth" pill? I am going to email Dr. Reid and see what he suggests. I wish they made tablets w/ just the probiotics...made for this sort of thing. Some of us cannot wait 1 month to see improvements and I did not see a change in less than 1 week. I know women use organic, no sugar/no flavor yogurt as a suppository...just seems odd to put food "there"!! Worried I may colonize myself w/ something that should NOT be there!Any additional recs are welcome...will check back to see if any additional posts. Hope my affirmations will help someone else searching for info late at night...like I have:) Patricia
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Hi Everyone! I am really praying that this site is a GODSEND!!! I have been struggling with this problem for over a year and I am about to lose my mind AND my relationship. I picked up a prescription of Flagyl just yesterday but not hopeful that it would work. I have taken Clindess, Metranidozole/Flagyl, Accidophillus. This last time my Doctor suggested that my Boyfriend be treated as well. After much research I found that it is not likely to be him. Today I went out and purchased the Reuteri and I am hoping that will be the cure. My questions for the forum are....did anyone experience pain w/ deep penetration while having BV, do you guys feel that the male should be treated (if so how since the forum is ANTI antibiotics) and finally I hope I am right in thinking there is a significant difference in accidophillus and reuteri b/c I have tried the accidophillus. Please Please help me my relationship is sooooo suffering b/c of this and I have done sooo much research and alot of crying!:confused: Thanks everyone and I will post how it goes with the Reuteri
    gottafindacure 4 Replies Flag this Response
  • the only thing I am not sure of, is did they formulate something w/o all the additives that are in the "by mouth" pill? I am going to email Dr. Reid and see what he suggests. I wish they made tablets w/ just the probiotics...made for this sort of thing. Some of us cannot wait 1 month to see improvements and I did not see a change in less than 1 week. I know women use organic, no sugar/no flavor yogurt as a suppository...just seems odd to put food "there"!! Worried I may colonize myself w/ something that should NOT be there! I really don't think you can "colonize" yourself by using the probiotic...it contains friendly flora and will help rebalance your vagina by bringing the friendly flora directly where needed. Buy a good quality probiotic with several strains (including rhamnosis, brevis, acidopholus, and others). Most of these brands listed above don't contain "fillers". And PLEASE don't knock the yogurt treatment until you've actually tried this. Many women have found incredible soothing relief by doing this - yes, it's a bit messy, but if it works isn't it better than taking antibiotics which further disrupt your flora? Chronic BV may really take some time to get under control. You need to give this treatment a minimum of 2 weeks. And just taking a probiotic orally won't be as effective as taking it both orally and vaginally. Best wishes.DOM
    acuann 3,080 Replies Flag this Response
  • Hi DOM! Can you please reply to the thread I started. I am new to the site and I see the quote that was left by Acuann but it did not address my issues. Please help me out guys. I started the reuteri yesterday (took one by mouth) and emptied two capsules and inserted in vagina w/o yogurt. This morning I did not smell anything, which is a good sign. Repeated process this morning took one orally and inserted contents of 2 capsules into vagina. Again DOM or someone please respond to painful sex as a result of BV, treating the guy and difference betw. accidophillus (which DID NOT work for me) and reuteri. Thanks!
  • Have used RePHresh and Yeast Arrest (2-4) suppositories at the same time. Squeezed 2 RePHresh containers into a yeast applicator for better coverage. Infections can hide in vaginal folds near cervix and chronic infections can cause pain during intercourse (cervicitis). Pain can imminate into pelvic region as well. Both Yeast Arrest and RePHresh increase vaginal acidity, lower Ph. Blood and semen do opposite, raising Ph and leading to BV and Yeast infections. Antibiotics, taken to cure BV, often lead to yeast infections. The above treatment would work best following antibiotic treatment. In addition, oral or vaginal introduction of acidophilus will increase friendly, yeast fighting bacteria normally found in vagina but which are killed off by antibiotics.
  • Gottafindacure,I'm in the same boat as you. About ready to go nuts! I've had the same BV infection since November. Sex is soooo painful. My husband and I haven't had sex for a month because I can't stand it and he doesn't want to hurt me. I've had several Metronidazole treatments for 1 week and this last time they gave me 2 weeks worth and a refill. They said that my husband may be the carrier (though he has no symptoms), but they only gave me 4 extra pills for him. I called in my refill for the 2 weeks worth on Metro and we're now taking it at the same time for 14 days. I thought it was worth a shot. I've also tried a yogurt suppository with live acidophilus cultures but haven't had any luck with either of the treatments yet. I'm going to check into getting some of those probiotics and adding them to the yogurt too. We have about 4 more days of the pills and I'm praying that they'll kick in and work in these last few days. I'll let you know if I have any luck. It might be worth it to just have your boyfriend take some of the pills if you have an extra re-fill. I'm also thinking about cutting sugar completely out of my diet and just seeing what happens. I know that they say the bacteria feeds off the sugar. I certainly could live without sugar if this would get better! I'll let you know if it works.Nikki
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• nikki, Been down that road of treating my boyfriend. After HOURS of research which also included a call to the CDC, treating him will not solve the problem. I have been taking the reuteri orally once daily and inserting it twice daily WITHOUT the yogurt. I am on day 10 of doing that and I honestly feel like it is working. As you might imagine, after dealing with the issue for so long, I feel like I don't know the "right smell" anymore. I am considering myself healed going forward. The accidophilus DID NOT work for me I guess b/c it is a different strain than the reuteri. I wish you all the best with this action plan that your Dr. has layed out for you. If for whatever reason you guys are not successful with it try the Reuteri. I have read nothing but great things about it! Take Care! Gottafindacure
  • Please help me! I have been suffering from BV/recurrent yeast infections since I was 15. I am almost 23! I have tried, flagyl, clindomyacin, metro gel, cleocin, and ceflex. The clindomyacin worked for about a week but the BV came back as soon as I had intercourse. The only thing that seemed to work for more than a week was when I was hospitalized and pumped full of antibiotics which in turn made me break out in hives but I had no odor or discharged for one month. I was unable to have intercourse for that full month, but as soon as I did the BV came RIGHT back! I recently started using the RePhresh gel after reading such great reviews about it, but it has done nothing but irritate and already existent infection. This is really starting to affect my personal life and my confidence. I just need something that works already!
  • Gottafindacure, I know a lot of people talk about a smell and I have that part of the time, but the biggest part of it to me is the constant terrible burning. Do you have that? I just want to make sure I don't possibly have something else going on at the same time. The question I want to ask you is how do you insert the pill vaginaly? Do you just leave it in the capsual? Do you use a yeast infection treatment applicator? Also, do you still feel that it's working for you? I'm going to buy some of the pills you were talking about today, but wasn't sure the best way to insert them. Thanks!Nikki
  • Hello , Just wanted to give a testimonial to Primadophilus Reuteri. I read about it here and I had to give it a try. I too, like so many women I've read about, have been suffering from recurrent BV....about 10 years to be exact...and it seemed to get worse over the years.....I got so tired of running to the doctor every month, I actually put it off at times...I was beginning to think I was going crazy. Anyway, I found this site while I was on the internet searching for some kind of cure. I went to a vitamin store (The Vitamin Shoppe...a chain along the lines of GNC) and found Nature's Way Primadophilus Reuteri. It was under $8 for a bottle of thirty pills. I figured I'd start there and see what happened. I have been taking them twice a day orally, this is my 7th day and my symtoms are almost completely gone. I am going to continue researching, but so far have read nothing but good things about taking probiotics on a daily basis. If you can't find these pills at a store near you....(I had a heck of a time)....I did find a place on the internet, VitaCost, and they have Nature's Way Primadophilus Reuteri, 30 count capsules for $5.39 with $4.99 shipping on any size order. I'll be placing my order as soon as I'm done here now that I know they are working! I have also started using glycerine soap..just be careful and read the ingredients, a lot of brands have added fragrance. And another tip I've read, even though some of the probiotics say you don't need to refrigerate them, do it anyway....it helps maintain more bacteria. Good luck to everyone.
  • just as an FYIwhen you have the discharge it is important that you know the differences. in my case i was always healthy just yeast infections. then my partner cheated and i got trichomonas. he had no symptoms. i first took flagyl for 10 days then reacted-horrible hives & tingling of body, had to take steroids to clean out my system. my partner had no symptoms so he did not want to get treated.we used condoms faithfully, i was not taking chances .it came back, i was put on tindamax for 2 days, it did not work, then for 4 days. it is of the same family as flagyl, but we took a chance. i reacted again, steroids, but was healed. difference, i stayed off sex during treatment. (this proved to me that condoms are 99% effective not 100%). i insisted my partner gets meds even if he had no symptoms. the sad thing is men will be asymptomatic. he must be put on meds so that you guys do not pass the infection between each other.after the trichomonasnow i am battling vaginosis. what is the difference, there is barely any smell, the discharge is gray not yellowish/green. the horrible itch and burning are gone.if your discoloration is greenish/yellow, strong odor, very strong rotten smell, it may not be vaginosis but trich.whatever you have, your partner MUST get checked out. he could be reinfecting you. if you have vaginal problems, insist on condoms. even if they are not 100% like in my case, it will protect you from your partner if he is the one infecting you.do a search for "types of vaginitis" and you will see there are differences.ladies, know that if you have an infection your partner NEEDS to get checked out and treated. we both had to get treated!when i had constant yeast infections encouraged by the pill, i took acidophillus faithfully and it helped.now i am back on a similar but stronger probiotic to see how it helps the vaginosis. i am taking it orally and inserting it down there. yoghurt is a bit too messy. i will keep you updated. JUST know there are different infections, they are similar. Make sure you are treating the same right thing. JUST as fyi. This whole thing just sucks! I am not a medic, just a patient trying to get well.
  • I had BV about 3 years ago that resisted oral antibiotics and in my research came upon hydrogen peroxide washes as treatment. After trying this, my infection went away. Last month I was diagnosed with BV again and still feel the symptoms after completing my first course of antibiotics. I'm trying the hydrogen peroxide wash again and it seems to be helping (although symptoms are not completely gone yet). What I read somewhere to do is get an oral syringe, fill it 3/10 with hydrogen peroxide and the rest of the way with water and insert it into your vagina. Check with your doctors, of course, but this seems to be a fairly cheap, easy method and it makes sense because part of what causes the infection is the lack of hydrogen-peroxide producing lactobacilli. Here is one piece of literature I found to support this treatment:http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/rsm/std/1996/00000007/00000004/art00011All the best...
  • I was doing some research on the misdiagnosis of vaginosis and came upon this thread via Google. Many women find that antibiotic treatment of BV only sets them up for a recurrance shortly after. In Europe, they use a vitamin C tablet that is patended for vaginal use. It is hard to find in the U.S., but is available from www.thetodaystore.com. Check it out.
  • this is new to me..Last year I had BV. I went for my pap after i started getting that fishy odor and i got scared especially since i had been with someone i hardly knew. I got Flagyl prescribed and things seemed ok..or so i thought. after that pap i have been with a new guy for a year, and i went back to get my annual pap...and its back. I didnt have any symptoms, atleast not like the first time. I've always had a little discharge inbetween periods, so i never really thought anything of it. there was no fishy odor, so when my FNP told me i had it, I was surprised. i'm scared to tell you the truth. I got Flagyl again, and now i feel like my stomach is upset due to the Flagyl. I'm reading all these postings and i'm scared i'm going to be living with this thing forever. I'm 23 and plan on having kids, but i'm scared BV will keep me from doing so, or the other side effects of BV.
  • I am glad to have found this site; I too, suffer with reoccurring BV and am about to go stir crazy. Does anyone have the pain in their abdomen area?My doctor's suggested that my partner be treated, he too, was treated and we began to use protection, but again... I began to have symptom again.I was beginning to think and still am contemplating just obtaining from sex all together because I am getting tired the symptoms getting in MY way of every day life. Doctor’s can only tell you but so much and my doctor’s only logical answer to “why me” was, some women just suffer with them. I cannot begin to think that this is a reasonable answer, there has to be something I can do, I cannot image taking meds for this for the rest of my life. Another thing I am wondering is if SEX is causing this problem. I know that it is not a sexually transmitted disease not to mention the fact that we use protection now, but can it possibly be that there is just something wrong with ME?
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement