Discussions By Condition: Blood conditions

Petechiae but Normal Platelet

Posted In: Blood conditions 6 Replies
  • Posted By: hannahgrace
  • January 26, 2007
  • 01:04 PM

Hi,

I just came from the doctor today because I I have petechiae all over my body. When I got back with the blood test results his clinic was closed. :mad:

Anyway here's the results of the blood test:

Hemoglobin - 146G/L
Hematocrit - 0.43
WBC - 4.8^9/L
RBC - 4.8^9/L
Segmenters - 0.61
Lymphocytes - 0.34
Monocytes - 0.05
Platelet count - 193^9/L

So as yuo see platelet count is wihtin normal range. WBC is a bit lower than normal but I don't know if that has anything to do with petechiae. I have no fever though I had a slight one yesterday (100.4F). Been feeling bad for the past week. I thought it was just the flu since I have a bad cold and everyone at home has a cold too. My joints have been aching the past week too. Anyone have an idea what I might have?

Thanks. :)

Reply Flag this Discussion

6 Replies:

• Have you been tested for Lyme disease? I started to get petehciae 20 yrs ago and have finally been dx'd with Lyme...after many yrs of misdx'es Your labwork is different than mine so I don't know if yours are all good or not. Sorry, can't help much. Check out www.lymenet.org the folks there might help more.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 15, 2007
    • 02:56 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Just wondering if you ever got a diagnosis or reason for your Petechiea? My daughter is 3 years old and has broken out with Petechiea all over and some of it fades and then it appears in other areas. She's been to the hospital for the first round of tests and everything was normal, even her platelets. The doctors were fully expecting them to be low but they're not. We're going tomorrow for more tests but I just came across your posting and wondered if you ever were diagnosed with anything. Thanks
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 6, 2008
    • 00:32 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Apparently vitamin K deficiency can cause it (not sure how- didn't look into it), and so can trauma to the site, certain medications, etc. I am having a similar issue. Years ago I had a blood disorder that lowered my platelets and had petechiae. If I get symptoms of getting it again, I am supposed to have a cbc done. Well, since that time, I did get petechiae again, but after I recovered from the disorder, I have only had my cbc show lower platelets once, despite petechiae. During the time it showed those lower platelets, they were within normal range, but on the lower end of normal. I had petechia then. But I get petechia with normal platelets, no known trauma to the site, and no use of any medication that could cause this. I am confused. Did the dr. make any other suggestions? Halifax mom- check out the picture here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocky_mountain_spotted_fever The pic is an arm and a hand covered in petechiae. Your kid sounded like she had an extreme case, so I thought I'd share this link.
    Poppet 6 Replies
    • December 10, 2008
    • 11:08 PM
    Flag this Response
  • My daughter has had this numerous times but her bloods are fine so they say. She has been admitted to hospital with it too thinking its the start of meningitis. She does have migraines too as which we thought there was a connection but they say not. She is 12 but was 3 when she first had them and it seems they are telling me its her way of getting rid of a virus.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 10, 2009
    • 09:55 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Have they done any liver function tests? If not, then ask for them to do so...
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 23, 2009
    • 06:40 PM
    Flag this Response
  • for the benefit of others.Your WBC is Normal and has nothing to do with your symptoms.100.4 is not slight but not severe either.You likely picked up an infection which sound viral.Petechiae may be due to causes other than low platelet levels.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 21, 2010
    • 00:13 AM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement