Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Severe Left flank Pain - doctors can't figure it out

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 5 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • January 24, 2011
  • 09:21 PM

I am 19 and a female. I have been sick since August 2010 and no doctor has been able to figure out what is wrong. I am at my witts end, i don't know how much longer I can take this. Any suggestions would be great!

Symptoms

- severe left flank pain that radiates to the back and sometimes on the right side. pain is always there, never goes away
- blood in urine continuously since august
- bacteria in urine
- white blood cells in urine
- nauseated all the time
- painful headaches
- random bouts of diarrhea and vomitting
- severe fatigue
- pain whenever i need to urinate

Tests/treatments:
- saw nephrologist, ruled out anything to do with kidneys
- seeing urologist, cystoscopy was clean, still can't figure out where blood is coming from
- ultrasound - gallbladder was okay, pelvic okay, kidneys ok, bladder okay
- CT was okay, showed some swelling of stomach
- MRI was ok
- taken 5 different antibiotics to clear bacteria in urine, didn't work
- had a barium enema in the past, identified IBS, but did not have this problem before from the Ibs
- been in emerg probably 20 times since august 2010 for the severe pain

Current medications:
- altace
- metoprolol
- alesse
- oxycodone
- prozac
- seroquel
- losec
- advil

between the ER visits and regular doctors i have probably seen over 10 doctors now, and no one can figure out what is wrong with me. i am only 19 and i have had to put off college, quit my job, have no social life, and pretty much be confined to my room because i am in so much pain all the time. if you have any ideas, please please let me know. thank you!

Reply Flag this Discussion

5 Replies:

• I am 19 and a female. I have been sick since August 2010 and no doctor has been able to figure out what is wrong. I am at my witts end, i don't know how much longer I can take this. Any suggestions would be great!Symptoms- severe left flank pain that radiates to the back and sometimes on the right side. pain is always there, never goes away- blood in urine continuously since august- bacteria in urine- white blood cells in urine- nauseated all the time- painful headaches- random bouts of diarrhea and vomitting- severe fatigue- pain whenever i need to urinateTests/treatments:- saw nephrologist, ruled out anything to do with kidneys- seeing urologist, cystoscopy was clean, still can't figure out where blood is coming from- ultrasound - gallbladder was okay, pelvic okay, kidneys ok, bladder okay- CT was okay, showed some swelling of stomach- MRI was ok- taken 5 different antibiotics to clear bacteria in urine, didn't work- had a barium enema in the past, identified IBS, but did not have this problem before from the Ibs- been in emerg probably 20 times since august 2010 for the severe painCurrent medications:- altace- metoprolol- alesse- oxycodone- prozac- seroquel- losec- advilbetween the ER visits and regular doctors i have probably seen over 10 doctors now, and no one can figure out what is wrong with me. i am only 19 and i have had to put off college, quit my job, have no social life, and pretty much be confined to my room because i am in so much pain all the time. if you have any ideas, please please let me know. thank you!protozoal parasite....all symptoms sound like Entamoeba histolyticaSymptoms of parasitic infection Abdominal pain and cramps http://www.spinelifestore.com/parstool.htmlAnorexiaAutoimmune diseaseChronic fatigueConstipationDepressed sIgADistentionFeverFood allergyGastritisInflammatory bowel diseaseAltered intestinal permeabilityIrregular bowel movementsIrritable bowel syndromeLow back painPruritus aniRash and itching of skinUrticariaWeight lossArthritisBloody stoolsColitisCrohn's diseaseDiarrheaDysenteryFlatulenceFoul-smelling stoolsHeadachesLeukopeniaMalabsorptionRectal bleedingVomitingI have pain in my lower left region also. Yes it burns. I don't have blood in my stools either...but I do have mucus...and foul smelling. I know that I have Entamoeba histolytica. It is very difficult to diagnose. If you've had it for a long time, taking any digestive remedies, herbs, drugs, over the counter such as Pepto Bismol, charcoal etc will simply obfuscate any diagnosis. Also often labs confuse E. histolytica with E. dispar thinking that E. dispar is commensal. And then trying to eradicate this organism is impossible. I have tried all the drugs...temporary relief...herbs etc. Then in 2004 I was given a CT scan with contrast dye. I lost 20lbs in 3 weeks evidently due to the contrast chemical. I have not been able to regain my weight. The CT contrast dye seems to have made the organism unresponsive to the drugs as they no longer have any effect...after having used them for years with some limited results. But better than nothing.I am exasperated at doctors attitudes and response and denial of what I have because it does not show in the stool test. Even in leiu of the fact that there was a diagnosis done by a parasitologist Dr. Louis Parish (who is now deceased). He developed a test called a rectal swab with a Dr. Bueno. He used a very experienced lab tech in parasitic diseases right in his office before the parasite disappears. It must be checked within 20 minutes of a warm stool. And also I have tested positive for E. histolytica antigens using a saliva test . This test is only done by one lab in the state that I know of in Washington. (Do the research) But this was dismissed by doctors contending that I once had the disease but that does not mean that I still have it. Well how then do they explain that I still have all the same symptoms and that I am only 92lbs and still very very ill? I have spent many years researching and finding evidence only to be summarily dismissed by doctors!Recently a doctor was concerned about my being hypothyroid. This is not new. I spoke with an endocrinologist years ago who agreed that there is nothing wrong with my throid...that it is caused by the parasite. No one in my family has any thyroid disease..ever. I have done the research and sure enough E. histolytica will effect the thyroid by interfering with absortion of iodine thereby causing hypothyroidism and anemia. Both of which all my blood tests show. This in addition to horrible inflammed bowel, excruciating pain after bowel movement, anorexia, delayed stool transit time (as was shown by CT scan and X-rays) extensive food allergies, fibromyalgia, night sweats and so on...which are all symptoms of Entamoeba histolytica infection ....to add to this...empirical evidence due to the relief from antiparasitc drugs...where no other types of drugs had any effect....the doctors remain in denial! I attribute most of this to ignorance(or laziness) and I am astounded at how many professionals are so uninformed.Many doctors seem to believe that the antiparasitic drugs eradicate the infection. If this is the case...why are there so many articles on drug resistance? Why are there researchers still trying to develop drugs for this disease if there is already a cure? Dr. Parish told me after I felt well with my first round of antiparasitic drugs( after many years of illness)....that he did not believe that anyone ever got cured. He contended that the best that could be done was that the drugs would change the organism so that one could live with it and it would not harm you. For me that has not been the case. I did not want to believe Dr. Parish....now I see he was right. He became a parasitologist because after suffering for many years and having the same problem with the medical community of being dismissed....he delved into it himself and tried to help others. Too bad he is gone now. I haven't found anyone to replace him...and I am near NYC. It seems that the doctors want to keep to their dogma and not look outside the box. I hope somewhere someone is out there...I have not found them yet. And with all of the research easily available...why would doctors deny people that they have parasitic disease...even when they are loaded with symptoms and have some diagnosos and drug empirical evidence?If you do not believe me....all you have to do is research the things that I have mentioned and see for yourself.I have been suffering for many years and I am now holding on by a thread. I am sure I am not the Lone Ranger.The following is excerpted from: Parasitic diarrhea: It is what it is http://www.entrepreneur.com/tradejournals/article/237234115.html "Times are changing. New technology replaces old methods, so why do we continue to offer the routine ova and parasite examination for the diagnosis of parasitic diarrhea? In the United States, or anywhere in the Northern Hemisphere for that matter, two parasites commonly cause diarrheal illness: Giardia lamblia and Cryptosporidium parvum, and two uncommonly: Entamoeba histolytica and Dientamoeba fragilis." "Note: E histolytica--Doing the routine iron hematoxylin or trichrome stain may confuse things because the pathogen E histolytica looks just like the commensal Entamoeba dispar, whereas the antigen-detection method selects out for E histolytica (so they say). "I don't know if any of this helps you ...but it's a starting point. If enough people will do the research...easily done with the internet today....then maybe we can hold these doctors feet to the fire...hold them accountable. Maybe a mulitude of sufferers will be able to get help.Good luck to you.yarma
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 25, 2011
    • 02:42 AM
    Flag this Response
  • There is a vastly underdiagnosed condition called nut-cracker syndrome. It is when the left renal vein is compressed between aorta and the superior mesenteric artery and for each heart beat is “cracked” as a nut in a nut-cracker. With time the vein can react to this compression by producing a sort of scar tissue which leaves even less room for the blood to pass. The symptoms are sometimes left flank pain; sometimes there is blood in the urine, sometimes only little which requires a blood test. Since left genital vein drains in left renal vein, it can also give pelvic symptoms such as pelvic pain, pelvic venous congestion or pelvic varicose veins. Venography (phlebography) is a way to diagnose it (but it requires a vascular radiologist/vascular surgeon familiar with this condition), ultrasound is less suitable. It is not easy to treat. So far the severe cases have demanded venous surgery, but now the first cases have been treated with stent placement. Sometimes this condition can improve by itself, if collateral veins form around the compression site. Every time a patient develops a DVT (blood clot) in the left renal vein, this condition should be suspected and ruled out. I'm not at all sure it could be it, but have them the nutcracker syndrome ruled out. Good luck with your health!
    Felsen 510 Replies
    • January 25, 2011
    • 05:07 PM
    Flag this Response
  • There is a vastly underdiagnosed condition called nut-cracker syndrome. It is when the left renal vein is compressed between aorta and the superior mesenteric artery and for each heart beat is “cracked” as a nut in a nut-cracker. With time the vein can react to this compression by producing a sort of scar tissue which leaves even less room for the blood to pass. The symptoms are sometimes left flank pain; sometimes there is blood in the urine, sometimes only little which requires a blood test. Since left genital vein drains in left renal vein, it can also give pelvic symptoms such as pelvic pain, pelvic venous congestion or pelvic varicose veins. Venography (phlebography) is a way to diagnose it (but it requires a vascular radiologist/vascular surgeon familiar with this condition), ultrasound is less suitable. It is not easy to treat. So far the severe cases have demanded venous surgery, but now the first cases have been treated with stent placement. Sometimes this condition can improve by itself, if collateral veins form around the compression site. Every time a patient develops a DVT (blood clot) in the left renal vein, this condition should be suspected and ruled out. I'm not at all sure it could be it, but have them the nutcracker syndrome ruled out. Good luck with your health!Hey, Thank you so much! that was a great idea. I looked into it and everything fits although my nephrologist already did a contrast mri to look at the arteries in&around my kidneys. so I think that would have picked it up? A lot more blood is getting into my urine now. when I did a urine sample today it was pretty much an orangey-red colour, but the doctor that i saw didnt really care. im getting so frustrated here :(It's kind people like you that keep me going though, thank you so much for taking the time to read my story!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 26, 2011
    • 11:42 PM
    Flag this Response
  • OK, I just want to point out that an MRI imaging arteries will not show veins. For that you need MRI-venography. Also, MRI vascular imaging is still not very good (many false negative results). The best way to see a nut-cracker is by old fashioned contrast venography (imaging of the veins). A nut-cracker shows as a widened, balloon-like structure of the renal vein between the kidney and vena cava. Make sure that they are familiar with the condition, because it's really very rare. If you would have a venography picture or an MRI image of your renal vein, I's be happy to take a look. Post it in this thread, then I'll be notified by e-mail.Take care! I hope they soon figure out what's wrong! Good luck!
    Felsen 510 Replies
    • January 27, 2011
    • 00:20 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I am 19 and a female. I have been sick since August 2010 and no doctor has been able to figure out what is wrong. I am at my witts end, i don't know how much longer I can take this. Any suggestions would be great!Symptoms- severe left flank pain that radiates to the back and sometimes on the right side. pain is always there, never goes away- blood in urine continuously since august- bacteria in urine- white blood cells in urine- nauseated all the time- painful headaches- random bouts of diarrhea and vomitting- severe fatigue- pain whenever i need to urinateTests/treatments:- saw nephrologist, ruled out anything to do with kidneys- seeing urologist, cystoscopy was clean, still can't figure out where blood is coming from- ultrasound - gallbladder was okay, pelvic okay, kidneys ok, bladder okay- CT was okay, showed some swelling of stomach- MRI was ok- taken 5 different antibiotics to clear bacteria in urine, didn't work- had a barium enema in the past, identified IBS, but did not have this problem before from the Ibs- been in emerg probably 20 times since august 2010 for the severe painCurrent medications:- altace- metoprolol- alesse- oxycodone- prozac- seroquel- losec- advilbetween the ER visits and regular doctors i have probably seen over 10 doctors now, and no one can figure out what is wrong with me. i am only 19 and i have had to put off college, quit my job, have no social life, and pretty much be confined to my room because i am in so much pain all the time. if you have any ideas, please please let me know. thank you!Sounds Like Colitis, Has That been Ruled out? I just got out of the hospital with similiar symptoms and I am currently looking for more answers. I didn't throw up, I just felt queasy. It hurt when I urinated, it radiated from my left side to my back, and sometimes on my right side. Showed colon swollen on left side it being the worse. I was diagnosed with "Acute Colitis" It can cause most if not all your symptoms. GO to a Gastro Doctor and get them to do a upper and lower Gi. If your colon is swollen it can effect your bladder wall and cause symptoms. I hope you find out what is causing your problem it can be so frustrating when you have something and you know your not crazy but doctors make you feel like your crazy. Good Luck! Pamm
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 27, 2011
    • 02:16 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement