Discussions By Condition: Digestive conditions

Bloating/Distention/Intenstinal Gas

Posted In: Digestive conditions 128 Replies
  • Posted By: pelorick
  • January 25, 2007
  • 10:04 PM

I am a 34 year old male in good health. In general, I eat pretty healthy and I go to the gym 4-5 times a week. However, I have been trying to figure out a stomach/GI issue that I have been dealing with for the past couple of years. When it started a couple of years ago, it only occurred every once in a while. Then it started happening a couple times a week. Well, in the past 4 or so months, it has been occurring every day and has become progressively worse. Basically, I am dealing with abdominal bloating/distention and intestinal gas. When this issue started a few years ago, it seemed like the intestinal gas was the more prominent issue. However, it is the daily distention that is affecting my quality of life. It is extremely uncomfortable and sometimes downright painful (the pressure); not to mention it can potentially be embarrassing. When it is bad, I don’t feel like doing much and the pressure buildup also leads to more frequent urination. I have tried many things that don’t seem to help. Basically, it starts off in the morning where I feel slightly bloated, but it isn’t that bad. I would say on a scale of 1-10, it starts off at about “2” on a daily basis. Then throughout the day, the gas pressure/bloating builds and peaks (anywhere from 7-10 on the scale). It seems like it peaks in the early afternoon during the week because I start my days early. On the weekends, it seems to peak in the late afternoon because I usually eat breakfast later than during the week. My doctor is perplexed because these are the only symptoms. Because my symptoms don’t include any elimination issues (i.e. diarrhea, constipation, etc.), he says that IBS and other similar diseases/issues are unlikely; I don’t fit the profile. I have tried the following supplements/items, but none have worked:

Gas X
Charco-Caps
Lactaid (for dairy)
Beeno (digestive enzyme)
Peppermint oil capsules (to help alleviate intestinal gas/bloating)
Papaya enzymes (to help alleviate intestinal gas/bloating)
Fennel seeds (chewing them is supposed to help intestinal gas/bloating)
Prilosec OTC (tried this for 2 weeks even though I don’t have heartburn)
Digestive Advantage – IBS (even though I don’t have IBS, this is supposed to help bloating by restoring the balance of good bacteria in my GI Tract. This will only work if the bacteria count is skewed)

My doctor tested me for Celiac disease and for the H. Pylori bacteria. Both of these blood tests were negative. Recently, I took the lactose intolerance hydrogen breath test and found out that I am not lactose intolerant. This explains why the Lactaid didn’t help me, but unfortunately, none of the other things mentioned above helped me either. Not even when taken in combination. Although I am not lactose intolerant, I just found information related to a milk ingredient called Casein. I have heard that this could cause GI issues, but from what I understand, is a lot less common. I also had an abdominal ultrasound. The results were normal. The only thing noted was that there was a small mass on my gall bladder which the doctor wasn’t at all concerned with. He said that it is most likely a cholesterol polyp which is nothing to worry about and would not cause the symptoms that I am experiencing. I also sent in my hem-occult slides to my doctor’s office.

I have been keeping a daily food journal to see if there are any specific food items that seem to cause these symptoms. However, I have been unable to find ANY correlation between items.
At this point, my doctor seems to think that I have some type of food intolerance (not allergy). However, I am a bit skeptical because I am waking up bloated. I thought that symptoms from an intolerance would disappear overnight. Before, I thought that I was starting at “0” in the mornings, but I just don’t think I realized that I was actually waking up slightly bloated. I tend to hold my stomach in because it helps with my lower back pain. The only other suggestions that my doctor has at this point is to try two different dietary changes. The first one would be to try a modified Atkins diet/reduced carb diet. If this doesn’t make a difference during the two-week trial, he recommends that I try a two-week gluten-free diet. I am willing to try anything to find a resolution to this issue, but a gluten-free diet would be extremely difficult for me to follow based on my normal daily diet. I was going to start the first dietary change in a couple of days, but I have decided to try this Digestive Advantage product first. I don’t want to change my diet yet because then I won’t know if this product is working.

Any information that may help relieve or resolve this frustrating problem would be very much appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Reply Flag this Discussion
  • I am a 37 year old female with the same exact symptomology as you describe. My abdomen's girth increases by 5 inches throughout the day. I am currently undergoing further tests. I have also had a abd/pelvic u/s which was neg, lab work that was normal, and have tried antacids, charco caps with no relief. It doesn't seem to matter what I eat, which I do eat healthy and work out. If you find something that works, please share for I will do the same.Thanks.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 27, 2007
    • 00:59 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have gastroparesis.....the stomach doesn't move with this thus you get the distention or bloating, diarrhea, gas with certain foods etc....You need to see a Gastroenterologist and he will also run an emptying test on your gall bladder. Mine was not emptying but only partially so it had to be removed. I have to take a medicine for this. Also, he can talk to you further about IBS more in detail. I have without the medicines for that you can have more diarrhea than constipation with IBS. Get your doctor to refer you to a gastro doctor and get him to test you for emptying of stomach, gall bladder and facts on IBS.....you'll be glad you did. Good Luck
    agypsygrl 79 Replies
    • January 27, 2007
    • 01:07 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Thanks for the replies. I have not had an emptying test done, however, my doctor doesn't think I have IBS nor any gall bladder issues. I have heard that some people still have the same issue even after their GB is removed. I am still interested in any more information that anyone may post. If anything starts working for me, I'll be sure to post! Thank you again!
    pelorick 84 Replies
    • January 27, 2007
    • 10:30 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I feel much better since the gall bladder is out, but with having the IBS I still have the diarrhea....some days when its really bad can go 8 or 10 times a day.....the last medicine my gastro doctor gave me though stops it! I travel overseas every year to Greece so I told him I HAD to have something plus working couldn't go on like that. He understands the condition better because he treats that problem plus he also has IBSStill think seeing the gastro doc for a stomach emptying test and GB empyting test would at least narrow the choices down. Plus he may have newer medicines to at least to stop you that your regular physician may not know of. I work for a doctor and normally with someone with your problem he refers them out for evaluations.
    agypsygrl 79 Replies
    • January 28, 2007
    • 01:48 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I am the same 37 y.o. that posed earlier. I also have had my galllbladder out 3 years ago. I also don't have problems with elimination (i.e., diarrhea or constipation). The worst problem for me is the bloating and pain that usually starts early afternoon and continues until the evening. My internist has done abd/pelvic u/s which where negative and general lab work which was wnl. I am know going to be referred to a GI doc to get scoped to r/o an ulcer although I don't take any drugs, drink, or fit the bill for the ulcer forming type! Any other suggestions out there?
    hardmanm 4 Replies
    • January 29, 2007
    • 02:41 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I was reading some replies to my post in a couple different forums. A couple people have suggested trying a dairy free diet for a week just to see if it helps. One of the people who responded said that they are also NOT lactose intolerant, however, they would get very bloated a few hours after eating dairy products. Additionally, it would take a couple of days for that person to get rid of the intestinal gas and for the system to get back to normal. I am thinking about trying this next week before doing the lower carb and the gluten-free diet. Even though I love dairy, I think it would be easier to try this for a week. I wish there weren't some many variables! Let's keep hoping that we all figure out our issues. rp71
    pelorick 84 Replies
    • January 31, 2007
    • 03:32 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I had an endoscopy done that basically showed nothing but a little duodenitis which really shouldn't be the blame for all of the bloating, distention and gas. Next week I will get my lab results and also get a UGI and Small bowel series. So I will let you know if any thing significant pops up. I am still having the issues every day.
    hardmanm 4 Replies
    • February 4, 2007
    • 02:18 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hello,I started this thread a couple weeks ago. I have tried so many things to relieve this issue, but nothing has worked so far. I also saw the news segment with Dr. Dean Edell, and it basically says that Xifaxan was really helpful in eliminating chronic bloating. My only symptoms are bloating, distention and intestinal gas. I have had this issue intermittently for a few years, but daily for the past 4 months. The things I have tried are as follows:Gas X (only effective before gas reaches the intestine)Charco-CapsLactaid (for dairy. This was before I tested negative for lactose intolerance).Beeno (digestive enzyme)Peppermint oil capsules (to help alleviate intestinal gas/bloating)Papaya enzymes (to help alleviate intestinal gas/bloating)Fennel seeds (chewing them is supposed to help intestinal gas/bloating)Prilosec OTC (tried this for 2 weeks even though I don’t have heartburn)Digestive Advantage – IBS (even though I don’t have IBS, this is supposed to help bloating by restoring the balance of good bacteria in my GI Tract. Only works if the bacteria count is skewed) Dairy-free Diet – 10 day trial. Didn’t consume any known dairy. Also, was diligent about avoiding hidden dairy.My GI said that this could help because it is a good gut sterilizer with relatively no major side effects. I am thinking about starting this in a couple of days. One concern I have is that I don't suffer from any constipation or diarrhea. However, I am hoping that taking this antibiotic won't change it to the point where this becomes a problem. I don't think that this would happen. I would think that if it doesn't help, it just won't work (it won't create new problems). I just left a message for my GI to verify this. I am really hoping that this resolves my issue. If it does, I will probably start taking a supplement to ensure that I always have a healthy balance of good bacteria in the intestines. If this doesn't work, the only other things I think I could try at this point would be a lower carb diet or a gluten-free diet. I also want to say thank you for everyone who responded to my original post from a couple of weeks ago. Good luck.http://forums.wrongdiagnosis.com/images/misc/progress.gif
    pelorick 84 Replies
    • February 14, 2007
    • 11:52 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Do you eat a lot of nuts or products with nuts in them like peanut butter? Just a curious question. I am trying to relate my problem with a particular food and this is the only constant I have come up with. Thanks
    hardmanm 4 Replies
    • February 15, 2007
    • 02:34 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi Hardmanm, I do typically eat a lot of trail mix, nuts, etc. Also, many of the things I eat contain wheat products. Have you noticed worse symptoms when consuming nuts? I have been keeping a food journal for 2.5 months, but still haven't been able to pinpoint anything (if that is what it is). rp71
    pelorick 84 Replies
    • February 15, 2007
    • 03:32 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi Hardmanm, I do typically eat a lot of trail mix, nuts, etc. Also, many of the things I eat contain wheat products. Have you noticed worse symptoms when consuming nuts? I have been keeping a food journal for 2.5 months, but still haven't been able to pinpoint anything (if that is what it is). rp71Peanuts and peanut butter in particular take a long time to fully digest. If there's anything off with your digestive system, they will move even slower through your system and could cause discomfort.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 15, 2007
    • 04:29 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• I have recently been able to pinpoint the pain and discomfort after eating some kind of nut or nut product. This is something new to me. I have always eaten nuts so for this to just start now is a mystery. I have noticed it can be any kind of nut such as a pecan, peanut, walnut, pistachio or just plain peanut butter! For now I am going to avoid those products and see what happens. Good luck! P.s. I also ate a lot of trail mix.
    hardmanm 4 Replies
    • February 15, 2007
    • 07:38 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hello All,I just wanted to post my most recent attempt to get rid of this daily bloating/distention/intestinal gas. I tried a 6-day course of Xifaxan (200mg 3 times a day). Unfortunately, this didn't help me at all. Now I am really discouraged. However, I will probably start a 2 week gluten-free diet to see if this helps at all. rp71
    pelorick 84 Replies
    • February 22, 2007
    • 07:53 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have similar symptoms to many of the forum members and appear to beginning to have malabsorption of some nutrients such as B12. I have been exploring the likelihood of bacterial overgrowth in the small intestine. Just by chance, during one of these episodes, I had a tooth that needed fixing and required amoxicillin. The antibiotic removed my gut symptoms....I think that this can occur without any other symptoms as a part of IBS or celiac disease. Overgrowth is due to a slowing of gut perstalisis and an increased growth of bacteria with delayed elimination. Solution, fibre, antibiotics, treatment for IBS. This is just my research. No physician has suggested this.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 22, 2007
    • 09:01 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have those exact same symptoms my stomach hurts so bad in the late afternoon and I am a hairdresser so it is really hard to just relieve myself. I have done many tests also and have no answer. I think that Gluten/dairy intolorence/peanuts any one of these or all could be the problem. I did however have a positive H. Pylori test today. So I will see if the treatment for that helps.
    purplefrogger 3 Replies
    • February 23, 2007
    • 02:27 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Much of what you describe indicates you may be another strong candidate for Hypochlorhydria (or possibly candidiasis).You were right to look into Celiac disease, H. Pylori bacteria and, I think, on the right track trying certain supplements/items mentioned (Papaya enzymes) but did you test these individually or take them all at the same time? If the latter, I believe some could've conteracted the effectiveness of others.Hypochlorhydria is very common, little known by some and often misdiagnosed. Fortunately, (though it can lead to othe omplications) it's also not too serious and can be fairly easily remedied. Please see my post to the "Gnawing Hunger Pangs!" thread http://forums.wrongdiagnosis.com/showthread.php?t=7666&page=2.
    ActionClaw 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • As I sit here reading the entries. I am holding my own stomach. Through the night I have suffered pains within my stomach, making it uncomfortable to lie, sit or stand. There appears to be a build up of gas. I try to burp or release the gas any way I can, but get little relilef. Attempting to stretch up in the seat increases the discomfort. I have had many episodes such as this. I have had a gastroscopy and it was found that I had gastric erosion, but I still do not understand this, as the causes do not relate to me well. When the feelling in my stomach gets to its worse point, I vomit. I do, apparently have IBS. But even when I look at these symptonms, they appear different to mine. Each morning I regularly have a bowel movement (sorry for the details!). But it doesn't stop there. I will go a further three or four times. sometimes I am about to back the car out of the drive to head to school and I have to stop and go back inside! IfI get the feeling of a bowel movement I have to go to the toilet IMMEDIALTELY or I will not make it. I have been caught out on several occasions and it is both degrading and embarrassing.I have had all sorts of tests. I've been poked and prodded, had ultra-sounds, etc.The only illness I really ever had was Sarcoidosis and I'm pretty sure that isn't related to these symptoms.Any one else sound like this? Thanks for taking the time to read my notes.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Hello ActionClaw, Most of these things that I have tried were done at different times. I didn't want to combine everything because then I may not have known which was actually working (if they had actually worked). I started taking a good digestive enzyme this weekend, and am still taking probiotics (about 2 wks now). So far, no difference, but I am hoping that it will start helping in the next few days. Even with the enzymes, I figure it might take a little bit to get things back in order; especially after 5 months of this. Thank you for the information. rp71
    pelorick 84 Replies Flag this Response
  • HiI am 30 years old and annoyed beyond any normal feeling. My mother has always suffered with intestinal gas, bloating and distention and digestive issues. She was diagnosed with MAYBE having all sorts of things from : lactose intolerance, allergies, not enough fiber, not enough water, lack of sleep, stress, and finally DIVERTICULOSIS. Fun times. Her symptoms have been going on for 25 years now and guess what??? I have them too!! :(I am so annoyed and saddened by this because:1.) I am RIDICULOUSLY healthy2.) Non smoker, non drinker, no drug use at all ever3.) I workout everyday and teach aerobics; I am in shape with a healthy BMI4.) I eat healthy or organic foods when possible 80% of the time 5.) Doctors know NOTHING so I am ready to throw in the towel!I am so upset because I suspect I have always had this but didnt know it wasnt "normal" to be bloated everyday with gas. I have taken TUMS, metamucil, COLONIX cleanse fiber, charco-caps, gas x , beano, blah blah blah....whatever. Do they work?? I dont know......you tel me.....maybe we can all come up with a common denominator and figure this out together!!! I eat things on a daily basis like:Peanut butter, skim milk, Fat free yogurt, soymilk, fruit + vegetables, whole grains like shredded wheat cereal, some sugar and salt (but not too much) and low fat snacks/low calorie snacks/desserts most of the time. I also love frozen yogurt but I havent had it in awhile and the symptoms are here so I see no link. SOMETIMES I indulge in greasy foods like pizza (3 x a month) but that is not when symptoms are the worst-its on a DAILY basis. Hmmm..any help?? Or ideas??
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Hi, It sounds like you have very similar symptoms to me. I have tried so many things (as you can see in my original post). Currently, I am taking a good digestive enzyme and probiotics. So far, I am discouraged because there has been no relief since I started this (probiotics - 3 wks, enzyme - about 5 days). Thankfully, it is just the bloating/distention/gas, but no elmination issues. However, I don't know what is causing it. I am at the point where I am going to ask the doctor what else I can do. So far, I haven't done any "invasive" tests. Sometimes, I just don't know what to do, but I know that I am going to figure it out. It's just a matter of time!I also have a post at the location pasted below. There are more responses there than in this one. You should take a look if when you can. Please let us know your progress. Good luck ~ rp71 WrongDiagnosis Forums > Symptoms > Gastrointestinal (Food - from entry to exit) Bloating/Distention/Intestinal Gas
    pelorick 84 Replies Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement