Discussions By Condition: Poisoning

niacin overdose

Posted In: Poisoning 78 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • January 25, 2007
  • 04:11 PM

500 mg per day. How far into the overdose range is this? Is it a dangerous level?
thanks.

Reply Flag this Discussion

78 Replies:

• 500 mg per day. How far into the overdose range is this? Is it a dangerous level?thanks.I just realized that with my hi stress vitamin b there is an additional 200 mg of niacin plus the 500 mg I took earlier. Can this be harmful in a one time dose. I am very flushed in the face and my arms itch and tingle.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 25, 2007
    • 06:21 PM
    Flag this Response
  • my doctor put me on 500mg but i had a bad reaction and i won't take it anymore. terrible burning, tightness(like sunburn) and then chills starting from my head and slowly going down to my toes. i was very red all over. it all went away in about 2 hours but it was scary. i hope things work out for you.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 25, 2007
    • 07:32 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I've been taking vitamins for years, including large doses of vitamin C, so it never occured to me that I might have a problem with niacin.I heard a local radio talk show MD recommend niacin, so I picked up a bottle of 500 mg pills and took my first (and last) after lunch this mid-afternoon.I'd already taken a multivitamin with breakfast, but this 500 mg booster didn't sit well with me. Within minutes my left ear began to feel flushed. Then it spread to the rest of my head, down my neck to my thorax, abdomen and legs.After about 10 minutes, my arms began to itch and looked rashy. A bit later I began to feel chills. It's been about an hour since I took the vitamin, and hopefully symptoms of overdose are disappearing; but this was not fun.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 4, 2007
    • 00:45 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Niacin is often taken in high doses to aid detoxification. It is a common natural side effect to experience flushing. Niacin causes the liver to start detoxing, causing detox like symptoms in the body. I don't know for sure what the toxic doses are.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 10, 2007
    • 06:10 PM
    Flag this Response
  • The FDA has approved immediate-release niacin (Niacor) up to 6 grams a day, and extended-release niacin (Niaspan) at 2 grams a day. The highest recorded overdose is 11 grams. The normal starting dose is 250 to 500 mg. It would be unusual for the dose you took to be harmful.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Hi, if you do some research on niacin you will fid that it will almost always cause a flush of the skin and sensations you described. In research studies they used up to 18 grams of niacin for scizophrenia, anxiety, depression, panic disorder, alzheimers, etc. and as a 'cure', it is magnificant. Today the inositol hexanicotine type of niacin is used as it is flush free with the same healing properties of niacin.Niacin is also known for its asistance in cancer and even skin cancer, scientists are using niacin for topical application for skin cancer. It really is up there with Vit C as one of the most important vitamins for our health.pacman
  • I am taking 2500mg per day. Is this considered "high"?
  • I just took about 200mg 30 minutes ago and am getting the red flushing effects, burning skin, a few twitches, and I am freezing. I've been drinking a lot of water and going to the bathroom a lot to aid the process.I've done this before a few years ago and recall the process being about the same, but I turned out ok and felt quite refreshed afterwards. I am somewhat worried but I've done this before and I'm sure I'll be ok.
  • Guys ...buck up...that is why you should take Niacin. In fact the flush is what I recommend to anyone who argues that vitamins don't do anything. This flushes the system by dilating the veins and vessels, sweeping the crap out of your blood system. Its like scrubbing the tub and flushing it down the drain. Add some Vit C and some garlic and see if it helps the ticker. This has long been an ingredient in some pharmaceuticals for fighting sclerosis. Just don't get the niacinamide or you won't get the flush.
  • My husband was prescribed 500mg. of niacin. First time he took it he felt hot flashes and tingling and told his Dr. he would never take it again. Dr. recommended taking it with Baby aspirin to prevent the side effects. My husband tried it again with the baby aspirin...worked well & no side effects. This evening he thinks he may have inadvertently taken two niacin pills...felt super hot, got up to go to the bathroom, felt light headed, walked away to go back to bed and fainted. He came to as I was calling 911. He said he felt horribly hot and had chills. He's doing better now, but scary. Not sure if it was due to niacin overdose or that he got up quickly from a horizontal position or combination of the two???
  • My mother takes large doses of niacin rx by dr for vertigo (dizziness caused by inner ear). She gets the "hot flashes" as she calls them, the burning sensations, I suffer from vertigo from time to time, and she tells me to take 500mg to start. I have been a bit leary of niacin only because she told me of what happens and i'm a bit anxious! But mother takes more, and it hasn't hurt her yet. (she's 71)
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• From site address:http://www.erowid.org/smarts/vitamins/vitamins_basics1.shtml Symptoms of overdose of Niacin (B3) include: whole flushing of the body, burning sensation in the eyes, ears, nose, and throat, blurred vision, skin itching, nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, diarrhea, lightheadedness. A niacin overdose is usually not life threatening; however, for large overdoses, call Poison Control.From site address:http://www.vitamins-supplements.org/vitamin-B3-niacin.php Vitamin B3 (niacin) overdose, toxicity, side effectsLarge doses of niacin can cause liver damage, peptic ulcers, and skin rashes. In the high doses used for controlling cholesterol levels (anything above 100mg/day), nicotinic acid can cause skin flushing and skin itching as well as headaches, lightheadedness and low blood pressure. Niacin may also aggravate peptic ulcer disease. Most stomach-related side effects usually go away over time. Taking niacin with food may prevent stomach discomfort. People with a history of liver disease or stomach ulcers should not take niacin supplements. High doses of vitamin B3 (75-mg or more) may cause liver damage. People who are pregnant, diabetic, or who suffer from asthma, liver disease, gallbladder disease, gout, glaucoma, or ulcers, should seek the advice of a medical professional prior to taking this vitamin. Nicotinic acid, but not nicotinamide in doses larger than 200 mg causes flushing by dilating the blood vessels, which can also cause the blood pressure to drop. High-dose nicotinic acid (approximately 3 grams daily) has caused impaired glucose tolerance in otherwise healthy individuals. I hope this information can be helpful. BE CAREFUL -- better safe than sorry.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 10, 2007
    • 07:35 PM
    Flag this Response
  • For those who are complaining about the flush being too uncomfortable, remember that it goes away, it is not even close to being as bad as a sunburn feels (and sunburns don't go away so soon), and if you take some Benadryl (Diphenhydramine) along with it, there is less, or no, flush. I dont know if it has as much benefit without flushing in terms of detoxing or in removing cholesterol, but it does the job with Schizophrenia. I have been taking 350 to 500mg/day for about 35 years to prevent the return of Schizophrenia symptoms. When I first began taking it, I went up in gradual increments of 25 mg per day unti a flush was accomplished, and then stayed at that level for a week and then went up 50 more each day for a week for a while until the flush became uncomfortable, cut back 50 and stayed there for a while. I finally stopped increasing at 2000mg a day and then started cutting back at about the same rate to see if symptoms came back--they didn't and I have stayed at the same level for years. In my opinion, Schizophrenia is a disorder caused by a greater than usual need for Niacin in the person's body. I suppose that if a person was already on blood pressure meds and then really took a really large overdose it might cause a lowering of blood pressure that could become dangerous, but otherwise, if you can keep from scratching yourself to death and the Benadryl stops that) you will be hard pressed to overdose. I am not a doctor-just a long time consumer.My primary care physician approves it for blood pressure problems and for angina.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 13, 2007
    • 09:22 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I believe Niacin should not be sold over the counter in strengths greater than 100 mg. The 500 mg tabs should only be given out by the Pharmacist with complete instructions to the recipient as to the side effects. When I first started taking Niacin, my doctor warned me to start with 100 mg and SLOWLY work up to 3-4000 mg per day. It was a slow process to build up to the full dose, but I can now swallow 1000 mg with each meal without terrible symptoms. It knocked the bottom out of my bad cholesterol; it raised my HDL significantly; I lost weight. Now, the slight tingling I feel after taking my pills remind me how much better my blood is flowing, and I wonder if the whole world is deficient in the drug!
    outposter 6 Replies
    • October 19, 2007
    • 05:21 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I took 3000mg of niacin before bed tonight to detox (giving blood). I experienced the sunburn feeling, and the chills and the red face, but I've gotten up twice to throw up, and I have explosive diareha. I haven't seen anything on that yet. Could this be because I took it on an empty somach?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 18, 2007
    • 10:28 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Recently had a niacin overdose reaction - only had 600mg but had the severe flush, burning, felt like I was going to explode, as I started to pass out, called 911. Had rapid pulse, low blood pressure. Have also had the flu so maybe that increased the reaction. I had been taking that dose for about 3 weeks and only had one other much milder reaction. It really felt like my skin was going to explode off my body - I've had the "flush" before and this was way more intense - and NOT what I would call healthy in any way.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 18, 2008
    • 00:43 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Recently had a niacin overdose reaction - only had 600mg but had the severe flush, burning, felt like I was going to explode, as I started to pass out, called 911. Had rapid pulse, low blood pressure. Have also had the flu so maybe that increased the reaction. I had been taking that dose for about 3 weeks and only had one other much milder reaction. It really felt like my skin was going to explode off my body - I've had the "flush" before and this was way more intense - and NOT what I would call healthy in any way.I agree with you. I'm never touch that stuff again.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 26, 2008
    • 03:00 PM
    Flag this Response
  • So many ignorant people.For an average person liver toxicity will not occur until you reach doses above 1.5 grams a day. Stick to 1 gram a day if you are worried. Obviously do not take it if you have abnormally low blood pressure as this could cause dizziness or feintness, or if you are sick (dehydrated).Do not take niacinamide as that is nearly worthless to take and can actually have other detremental effects. Take pure nicotinic acid (b3) if you don't mind the flush or prefer it, this is also immediate release type. Take the Inositol hexaniacinate if you dislike the flush and want it in a time release form.The other option is to take the nicotinic acid with a baby aspriin and the flush will not occur. Taking benadryl to relieve the symptoms is stupid and pointless as the flush isn't a histamine response.The best results for cholesterol is taking 500mg of Inositol hexaniacinate with 500mg of nicotinic acid in the morning (and a baby aspirin if you can't handle the flush). In addition take 1 gram of fish oil in the AM and 1 gram in the PM. I would also have your doctor prescribe 20-40mg of simvastatin.In 2 months I lowered my total cholesterol from 234 to 143 and my ldl/hdl ratio from 5:1 down to 2.5:1
  • i just took a 250 mg pill and it does feel lyke sunburn and i am very red. i didnt kno such a little dose kuld do that. i felt realy hot n my skin was burning and tight and very red. i didnt experience this reaction the furst time. crazy!
  • The reason why flushing occurs (and itching) is that Niacin is an educated vitamin that helps to detoxify your body. So taking 500mg for the first time is too much. It is important to start with 100mg for starters and keep taking it, as the reactions will stop eventually. I would also suggest doing this just before exercising, then hop in the sauna at the gym for a few minutes to help sweat it out. It's unfortunate that people are not aware of its benefits or usage. IMPORTANT:To get more information on Niacin, it's symptoms and how it works, read the book, CLEAR BODY CLEAR MIND found at this link http://www.clearbodyclearmind.com/ it's also available as a downloadable EBook.
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement