Discussions By Condition: Skin conditions

Dark Skin on my neck

Posted In: Skin conditions 42 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • July 22, 2006
  • 05:06 AM

Ok, ive been to doctors but they dont seem to know how to fix the issue. (just to keep in mind, i am am over weight girl) on the back of my neck the skin color is darker than the rest of the neck, same applies to my under arm and under my brests, and the folding of my arms, what could be the cause for it. i could have said being overweight is the issue, but i have seen other people bigger than me that dont have this problem. would any1 know the solution to this problem if so, let me know thanks!

Reply Flag this Discussion

42 Replies:

• I have seen this before with my neice she is overwight as well. We have seen countless doctors becauseof this and the only thing that we have found that works to remove the darker skin is scrubbing with alcohol
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • My guess is it's on your elbows and possibly your knees too. There's a chance you have Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, a condition that is considered "pre-diabetic" because it affects your bodies capabilities to process glucose. It's been years, but I believe my doctor referred to this as "hyper melanation." I had this problem for years and finally stopped eating sugar for over a year and the problem disappeared. When I resumed eating sugar, the dark skin returned. PCOS can cause a whole host of problems, including bad acne, skipped periods, hirsutism (having more body hair than a normal woman), fat collecting around your lower abdomen (near your ovaries), and infertility.It can be treated with birth control, fertility drugs (if you're trying to get pregnant), and an anti-diabetic drug called Glucophage. The best treatment for me, though, was losing weight.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 27, 2006
    • 01:03 AM
    Flag this Response
  • This could be a condition called acanthosis nigricans. It's a skin condition characterized by dark, thick, velvety skin in body folds and creases. It most often affects the armpits, groin and neck.Acanthosis nigricans is often associated with conditions that increase your insulin level, such as type 2 diabetes or being overweight. If your insulin level is too high, the extra insulin may trigger activity in your skin cells. This may cause the characteristic skin changes.An internal treatment would be to lose excess pounds if you are overweight. Keep your blood sugar stable. An external treatment would be to use RETIN-A(tretinoin) cream along with any skin lightener of your choice. This will work. I get my retin-a cream without a prescription at xlpharmacy.com. Good luck!!!
  • I have the exactly the same issues that you have. I have been to my doctors but with no luck they tell me it is from my diabeties but I have the dark skin under my arms and around my neck and under my breast. I am glad I could send this to you I hope both of us get help by the way I am and overweight woman also.:)
    oddwadtango 1 Replies
    • September 4, 2008
    • 06:43 PM
    Flag this Response
  • You could have acanthosis nigricans associated with diabetes or other conditions or with obesity. See a dermatologist who might be able to use a laser to make it less noticible
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 8, 2008
    • 06:29 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hey all..im a middle weight kinda dude..i have the same prob like you guys but only around my neck...i felt ashame if some one looks my neck,,oit terified me as well...hope there's a solution 4 this..im tired of hiding this neck from other people
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 6, 2008
    • 03:16 PM
    Flag this Response
  • It's because ur overweight. even i have this problem but i notice that the minute i lose a little weight and after a bit scrubbing its lighter. the minute i gain the weight back the darkness is back. just lose the weight correctly and ur body signals to ur hormones and everything will be back to normal. and reason why some who are more fatter than u and dont have this is something i still wonder (when i say lose the weight correctly: please dont go on crash diets and others; i dont know much about the fat reducing surgeries. but make it a point to walk a lot. automatically u feel i walked so much so let me consume less and in 3 months lets see the difference. Another thing drink luke warm water and then add honey and drink it. Its good for various things like losing weight, clearing the complexion, make u more fertile and makes ur immunity system stronger and various others. Note this is not a shortcut method to lose weight this has to be do be done regularly and half hour before ur first meal of the day and the before u sleep.]Plus if u have a wierd complexion on the face; some parts are darker than the rest of the skin and no matter how much fair creams u have used there is no differece, u have to have ur periods regularly. ur skin will become clear.Best of luck
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 6, 2010
    • 05:52 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I too have this issue. I'm getting married in less than a yr,and it's very embarrassing. I too am overweight and I noticed that I didn't have this problem until I gained weight. My solution is to lose weight. I joined a gym and I'm hoping this issue is soon resolved. I too have noticed that alcohol based scrubs work best. It's because ur overweight. even i have this problem but i notice that the minute i lose a little weight and after a bit scrubbing its lighter. the minute i gain the weight back the darkness is back. just lose the weight correctly and ur body signals to ur hormones and everything will be back to normal. and reason why some who are more fatter than u and dont have this is something i still wonder (when i say lose the weight correctly: please dont go on crash diets and others; i dont know much about the fat reducing surgeries. but make it a point to walk a lot. automatically u feel i walked so much so let me consume less and in 3 months lets see the difference. Another thing drink luke warm water and then add honey and drink it. Its good for various things like losing weight, clearing the complexion, make u more fertile and makes ur immunity system stronger and various others. Note this is not a shortcut method to lose weight this has to be do be done regularly and half hour before ur first meal of the day and the before u sleep.]Plus if u have a wierd complexion on the face; some parts are darker than the rest of the skin and no matter how much fair creams u have used there is no differece, u have to have ur periods regularly. ur skin will become clear.Best of luck
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 8, 2010
    • 08:01 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I too have this issue. I'm getting married in less than a yr,and it's very embarrassing. I too am overweight and I noticed that I didn't have this problem until I gained weight. My solution is to lose weight. I joined a gym and I'm hoping this issue is soon resolved. I too have noticed that alcohol based scrubs work best.what alcohol based scrubs can u find in the uk.. i m desperate.. can you find it in boots or maybe a website...??
  • Ok, ive been to doctors but they dont seem to know how to fix the issue. (just to keep in mind, i am am over weight girl) on the back of my neck the skin color is darker than the rest of the neck, same applies to my under arm and under my brests, and the folding of my arms, what could be the cause for it. i could have said being overweight is the issue, but i have seen other people bigger than me that dont have this problem. would any1 know the solution to this problem if so, let me know thanks!i have same problem and i found some tips and some other detail why those area has been darken,Use a bleach cream on neck or other areas, it's really work ,the second as i have noticed, if i don't eat anything even not water, bcoz i m muslim and in ramdan we keep roza, so we don't eat or drink anything all day only in evening, we eat those things ,Believe me , i have noticed , that my color skin real color return even those areas are going clean day by day,but if we don't do diet in normal days , it's again become darker, my sister is beautician, and she refferd to me bleach , and other thing is lemon,i used lemon on my those skin areas, and it's really working.....but as i have noticed some peoples thought that is diabetes, so from today i will not take anymore sugar or other sweets and i will see it will work or not.
  • Lot's of people have been saying they have dark skin underanrms or so on + that diabeties and obesitity are the causes. I dont have neither, i am not obese nor do i have diabetes problems. However i do have really really really bad skin problem. I have eczema and i have really dark orangy-brown neck. However at the moment the rest of my body complextion is ok. But it is really embarising walkin around with a white face and brown neck :| i reallllllllllllllllllllly want to get rid of it so plz if any1 has any idea how, plz write back ;)love you !!Good luck!!Xxxxxxxxx
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• i am also experiencing the same kind of situation and now i am looking for some remedies to my problem. ive searched for alcohol based scrub and found alcore. is it the right kind of product?
  • i am also having the same kind of situation. i have been having this dark neck since i was 12 and was fat then. my mom believed it could be solved through simple scrubbing but it couldn't. i am 22 now and it's getting darker. i already tried whitening creams but it just didn't work at all. i found this thread and read through and knew alcohol based scrub. is alcare the right product?
  • I have the same issue.. I have the darker skin on my neck and under my arms, It will somewhat come off but the next day its right back ! I also seemed to have not been able to lose weight at all no matter what diet.. And After years of "Diabetes" And "Pre diabetic".. It is PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome).. It might be a good idea to have them check that out. Its done through an ultrasound ! I just got metformin (medication for diabetics plus pcos patients..) And i hear that takes the skin color away.
  • i guess we perfectly got the same circumstance. its just that i haven't been to any doctor yet to have it checked, i am so afraid of going but i am pretty sure i also got PCOS as ive searched about it on the internet. even my mom does not know about my exact situation. i have to go to the doc immediately and perhaps tell my mom about it. i just hope it's not too late. keeping my fingers crossed
  • Ok, ive been to doctors but they dont seem to know how to fix the issue. (just to keep in mind, i am am over weight girl) on the back of my neck the skin color is darker than the rest of the neck, same applies to my under arm and under my brests, and the folding of my arms, what could be the cause for it. i could have said being overweight is the issue, but i have seen other people bigger than me that dont have this problem. would any1 know the solution to this problem if so, let me know thanks!Skin Care Your skin is the largest organ on your body, made up of several different components, including water, protein, lipids and different minerals and chemicals. If you're average, your skin weighs about six pounds. Its job is crucial: to protect you from infections and germs. Throughout your life, your skin will change constantly, for better or worse. In fact, your skin will regenerate itself approximately every 27 days. Proper skin care is essential to maintaining the health and vitality of this protective organ. » CAUSES Faulty diet- Refined foods like white flour, sugar and products made with them, tea, coffee, and soft drinks deplete energy, bring about wrinkles, unattractive skin and premature aging.Lack of healthy blood- Healthy blood adds a glow to the skin and keeps it well-nourished, moist, and free from dryness and roughness.Inadequate cleansing- Very often, our skin looks superficially clean; but they really are not. Dirt and dust particles can hide in the pores of the skin and clog sweat and sebaceous glands. Proper cleansing not only removes all the dust, dirt and make-up, which accumulate during the day, but also stops the oil-secreting sebaceous glands from getting clogged. » PREVENTION Many skin infections like Scabies and ringworm spread through a lack of personal hygiene. Clothes and other personal items belonging to an infected person house the fungus or virus that causes the skin infection. When these objects are shared, it can lead to the spread of the infection. Poor personal hygiene too can provide bacteria or fungus with the ideal environment to flourish. Reusing the same pair of socks repeatedly can cause a person to contract athlete’s foot. It is therefore, important to follow proper hygiene practices on a regular basis. However, it is important to note that there are also several skin diseases like Melanoma and Hyper pigmentation that are unsightly but are not caused by poor hygiene. » REMEDIES Naturopathic remedies for acne include Vitamin E, Vitamin A, brewer’s yeast, and benzoyl peroxide cream. Keep skin clean with hot and cold compresses. Diet is also important. Eat high-protein food and fish. Drink plenty of water. Avoid oily foods (such as pizza), saturated fats, dairy products, processed sugars, and caffeine. To treat psoriasis, first wet the skin, and then rub in some Vitamin E, mineral oil, or Vaseline petroleum jelly to keep the moisture in. Do this a couple times per day. Avoid perfumed off-the-shelf moisturizers. Diet is also important when treating psoriasis: drink more water, drink vegetable juice, eat fruits and fish, and take a Vitamin D supplement. Reduce the stress in your life and get more restful sleep. To prevent athlete’s foot, wear cotton socks with powder inside to absorb moisture. To treat it, soak feet in hot water with 20 drops of tea tree oil to kill bacteria. Take zinc, vitamin B, vitamin E, and vitamin C to boost the immune system. Garlic, an antifungal which also boosts immunity, can be used to treat a yeast infection. Also try tea tree oil and lavender extract, and echinacea. In addition, acidophilus capsules bring balance to the intestinal tract.
    premeet01245 14 Replies Flag this Response
  • Im 18 years old and i have had this problem since i could remember. i am not obese or over weight ive been active my whole life with soccer and cross country. i have never tested positive for diabetes. yet i have dark skin around my neck between my breasts and between my legs. I dont know what to do and it makes me depressed every time someone points it out because its that noticeable. i wish there was a way to fix this.
  • what alcohol based scrubs can u find in the uk.. i m desperate.. can you find it in boots or maybe a website...??don't know how handy ur in the kitchen, but if it were me I'd just mix rubbing alcohol from the pharmacy, with sugar or sea salt to exfoliate. or, even without the alcohol, just the sugar and maybe some olive oil would make you really soft
  • ever since i was a kid people made fun of my "dirty neck"... now in some schools they are looking at children's necks because it's a pre-sign to diabetes... which i've been diagnosed with along with PCOS... if only i knew then I would have started exercising and eating healthy sooner. Loosing weight does help with these dark areas... due to built up sugar usually in areas that bend (neck, knees, thigh/groin, knuckles, etc). Sea Breeze or other alcohol astringents also help clean the areas better but ultimately try limiting sugar/carbs, drink lots of water, and reach and ideal weight.
  • what alcohol based scrubs can u find in the uk.. i m desperate.. can you find it in boots or maybe a website...?? Try scrubbing those dark parts with GREEN ALCOHOL....I find that works for me, though it does not remove completely but sure makes a difference. Give it a try and let me know :)
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement