Discussions By Condition: Urinary conditions

Blood in urine (hematuria)

Posted In: Urinary conditions 34 Replies
  • Posted By: Beading Mama
  • January 24, 2007
  • 05:51 PM

Went to the MD yesterday for routine check up and it was everything but routine. He said I had protein and blood in my urine; did another UA this a.m. and there was no protein, but still blood. He has referred me to a urologist and I am scared to death - always think the worst, unfortunately. Of course, I am worried about bladder cancer. Is there any one who has experienced the same kind of thing and, if so, what was the outcome? I am only 45 years old and very, very worried and upset, but not letting my family see my worry, at least not trying.

Reply Flag this Discussion

34 Replies:

• I see this has had a few people look at my concern, but no responses. Please respond if you have anything that might make me feel better!
    Beading Mama 8 Replies
    • January 25, 2007
    • 01:47 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I tried to respond yesterday but my stupid computer went goofy. First of all, blood and protein in urine does not equal bladder cancer. Check any of my post on kidney problems as I feel like I am a robot today...LOLI am not Dr. but sorta expert with personal experience and own health. Blodd and protein is usually something going on with kidneys. Could be kidney stones, infection or UTI. Just go and see urologist, really no big deal. They should do another ua and may want you to complete a 24 hour urine where you pee into a big orange jug for 24 hours and sometimes they mix components in with it to check for different types of stones. Have you ever had any bladder or kidney issues in past? Are you pre or post menopausal? Did you have any blood drawn? Do you have any pain? I have lived my 34 yrs with kidney disease, infections, stones, and at one point had to wear a bag due to kidney failure so it is easy to say no big deal and I am sorry for that as you may be really healthy and this could be a big deal to you. I do not mean to make your worry sound small, I just want to assure that I am positive you do not have to worry about bladder cancer , ok.! Take it easy and take care:)
    miserableMOE 52 Replies
    • January 25, 2007
    • 09:45 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hey MOE: Thanks for your response. No, I do not take offense to your message in any way, as you really have been through a lot. Thank you so much for your post and yes, I do feel better. I just can't worry about something that could be absolutely nothing, or at least not go as far as any type of cancer at this point. I have never had any urinary or kidney problems in the past, so this is all new to me; had some thyroid trouble with tumors that were benign, but that is about it. Thanks again for your encouragement.
    Beading Mama 8 Replies
    • January 25, 2007
    • 11:10 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Sorry, MOE; forgot to say, that no, I don't have any other symptoms other than blood in the urine; I guess that is why I was so concerned about the painless hematuria!
    Beading Mama 8 Replies
    • January 25, 2007
    • 11:11 PM
    Flag this Response
  • When is your appointment with urologist? Make sure you take previous test results with you or have Dr who has them fax to urologist. This will give him/her a chance to get a headstart on your condition. Again, good luck. Let me know your turn out. I am usually on here everyday as I am so ill, I can no longer work and usually just lay around. This site and the internet is sometimes my saving grace....how sad is that? LOLTake care
    miserableMOE 52 Replies
    • January 25, 2007
    • 11:46 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Just to let you know I went to the urologist today and he was awesome knowledge wise and personality wise. He told me that 95% or greater of those with hematuria is benign; sometimes a cause is never found. I am scheduled for a CT scan of the urinary system and then a cystoscopy; however, he told me this is routine for anyone with hematuria and told me to please not lose sleep over it. He also said that most bladder cancer is seen in smokers and those with chemical exposures. So, he really put me at ease. Am I still worried, yes, a little bit, but I have to have confidence in him as he sees more of this than I do. He also said that hematuria can be frequently seen in those with high blood pressure, which I do have; anyway, just wanted to share this added information.
    Beading Mama 8 Replies
    • January 31, 2007
    • 02:26 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Sorry, been attending to some of my heallth issues. I haven't forgot about yo. I am glad the Dr. has eased your mind some. It is funny that I am telling you not to worry about cancer when I am sitting here witha half dianosis of pheochromocytoma which could be a tumor on my adrenal gland! And yes, I am worried about cancer! Majority of these tumors are benign but some are malignant and my mom had cancer and died at 56 yr old and one of her tumers was on her adrenal gland! I am having an affair with XANAX right now...lolSo when do you go for your tests? I take it you never had a cystoscopy before? Did they explain it to you? If they haven't let me know and I will tell you some pointers! I've had a total of about 20 of them done....no fun:( !!! Did you say that you can actually see this blood or was it traces in your UA? How are you doing now that a couple of days passed? Did you tell your family? Are they supportive? Let me know.... MOE
    miserableMOE 52 Replies
    • January 31, 2007
    • 05:33 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I am so sorry that you are having such a time with your health. My prayers are with you. Sometimes life presents us with such challenges and you are really being faced with those challenges! I could say stay strong, but that is definitely easier said than done. The blood in the urine is micro-hematuria, meaning I haven't really seen any; there was one time when I questioned that maybe I did, but, for the most part, not normally seen in the urine, just under a microscope. They have not explained the cystoscopy to me; I know that they insert a small camera - I can imagine not fun - nothing about it sounds fun! CT scan will be a piece of cake - no pain there! They have sent the blood off for cytology looking for cancer cells, but the MD said all these tests are routine whenever there is hematuria. I just spoke with a friend who told me her sister always has hematuria in her urine and they never have been able to find out why - for her, just one of those things. She is 41 years old. So, it was on Tuesday that I went to the urologist and the Saturday before I got rear-ended by a gentleman; it was quite the few days. Thanks for your concerns and I pray that things will work out for you. I do believe in prayer and healing; so, hang in there!
    Beading Mama 8 Replies
    • January 31, 2007
    • 06:29 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi,Just checking in to see how you have been doing? Did you have your tests done yet? Any results? I've been wondering how you were coming along. Please let me know.Take care,Moe:)
    miserableMOE 52 Replies
    • February 14, 2007
    • 07:06 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Thanks for checking in! I'm okay. Urine for cytology showed no urine cancer cells. I go and have the CT scan this coming Monday, then in 1-1/2 weeks after that, have the cystoscopy. So, we are playing the waiting game for the tests - I think that is the worst part. Anyway, been hectic here and haven't been on line for awhile as I was in a car accident in which a man rear-ended me. He said he only going 25 (speed limit in the area), but I think he was going faster. He will be lucky if he did not total his van and my van is in the shop being repaired (approximately $4,000.00 damage). He admitted complete fault. So, now am also battling with an injured arm and pain in that arm - been to the orthopedic and now we will just watch it along. Hope you are doing okay!
    Beading Mama 8 Replies
    • February 15, 2007
    • 06:20 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I see this has had a few people look at my concern, but no responses. Please respond if you have anything that might make me feel better!I thought that know one else had this problem, I have always had blood in my urine,but now I leak so bad, the smell makes me sick. I am 50 years old, I had a hysterectomy about 6 years ago and now I don't know what to do.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 16, 2007
    • 03:41 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• Hi Unregistered - I am sorry to hear about your problem. Let me tell you what the MD told me. First, he asked me if I leaked urine and I said only when I sneeze and then only a tiny amount. He indicated that he had patients with leakage of urine so bad, that when they did sit ups, or some form of exercise, they would have to put a towel under them. He said that if this interferes with your daily life, they can do a very simple procedure to remedy that, i.e., some type of bladder sling. Anyway, just wanted to share that with you so that you know there are options out there to consider. Also, regarding your hematuria, have you seen a urologist? If so, did they do the regular type of testing like urine cytology, abdominal CT scan, cystoscopy, just to name a few? I will be interested to hear from you about this.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 16, 2007
    • 01:30 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi Unregistered - I am sorry to hear about your problem. Let me tell you what the MD told me. First, he asked me if I leaked urine and I said only when I sneeze and then only a tiny amount. He indicated that he had patients with leakage of urine so bad, that when they did sit ups, or some form of exercise, they would have to put a towel under them. He said that if this interferes with your daily life, they can do a very simple procedure to remedy that, i.e., some type of bladder sling. Anyway, just wanted to share that with you so that you know there are options out there to consider. Also, regarding your hematuria, have you seen a urologist? If so, did they do the regular type of testing like urine cytology, abdominal CT scan, cystoscopy, just to name a few? I will be interested to hear from you about this.
    Beading Mama 8 Replies
    • February 16, 2007
    • 01:31 PM
    Flag this Response
  • HiI was just reading this, and I have Interstitial cystitis and I have blood in my urine all the time. Cystoscopys aren't bad... I've had quite a few done, I think 5, and I am only 20. What they do is go in and look for abnormalities, and if they are doing a hydrodistention with it, that consists of them stretching your bladder to look for bleeding or ulcers. I dont know if they use a hydro to check for anything else, but that is what they use for IC. I doubt they will do that though since you don't have symptoms indicating IC. BUT... if they do, make sure they give you a script for pain pills, b/c I'm miserable afterwards. Then again, that could be due to my condition. Good Luck and update me if you dont mind!
    anne.katherine 10 Replies Flag this Response
  • My 24 year old daughter has had blood in her urine. Her neurologist thinks it might be one of the meds she is on for epilepsy, but she has seen an urologist and is scheduled for an cystoscopy at the end of the month. Was the cystocopy painful? Did they give you any sedation?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • my husband is having burning and bleeding in his urine he also has pain in his penus we don"t know what it is can you give us an idea of what this might be?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • hi there I am a mom just doing internet research which is probably just adding to my stress but I could use some feedback. My 12 yr old daughter has hematuria AND protein in her urine with no other symptoms and has been referred to a nephrologist. The waiting is killing me! What can it be?! She is so healthy except her cholesterol came back high too! Any thoughts?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 14, 2007
    • 02:55 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi, my 11 year old son has had blood in his urine for almost 5 months now. He noticed it himself so I guess it's gross hematuria. He also leaves spots of blood on his underwear. He was eventually referred to a urologist for an x-ray and ultrasound both of which came back clear, apparently he also has some protein in his urine. Now we're waiting for him to be referred to a pediatric nephrologist. Again, even though he's been assessed as an urgent referral it's been over a week and the letter hasn't even been typed! I have no idea what the problem could be, so if anyones had these symptoms please let me know if I'm worrying over nothing. Thanks
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 6, 2007
    • 10:26 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Had it found Feb before last. Had all the tests nothing found except last October had cardiac arrest. Still have but only on my Profs microscope now become immune to medication . Spina bifida occulta was also found in relation to this and have had a urethrotomy .Have been told by Urologist most of those with spina bifida die of cardiovascular then refused to treat . Lovely.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 14, 2007
    • 07:24 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi Moei was reading what you have posted in this web site about blood in the urine, i am going through the same thing, it started back in June. I wasn;t feeling too good and had a blood and urine test and i showed +2 blood in my urine. I have been seeing an urologist and have had the bladder investergation, Ultra sound and Xray but nothing was found. He said leave it for 3 months and come back for a check up which was a few weeks ago. My blood levels are now a +4 so i am back in a few weeks for ink to be injected through my tubes and into my kidney's so they can take xray's and see if there are any blockages. I am only 42, and the only syptoms i have is urinating loads about 12-15 times a day and tiredness. i had a hsyteractomy when i was 37.How did you get on with your test? it would be good to hear from you and any advice would be good as it really scaring me now. Many thanks Maxine
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 18, 2007
    • 07:42 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement