Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

chronic low grade fever

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 23 Replies
  • Posted By: helpme
  • January 24, 2007
  • 01:02 AM

Hello All,
I would really appreciate someones input I have been suffering almost 2 years now with an illness of unknown origin,I have been tested for everything. HIV,HEP ABC,Sexually transmitted infections,lyme,cmv,heart,etc. My blood count is off I have high lympocyte high white blood cells,low netrophils been to mayo clinic in MINN,Drs there don't care or want to care. I have no appetite,my hair is falling out,dizziness,I don't look or feel like the same person. I am on the end of my rope. I have MS on top of this all I had a severe attack left me partially paralyzed put on steriods iv solumedrol and then this stuff with the low grade fever hit me. Chills,body aches,you name it I have it,fast heart,slow heart. I just want to know what is wrong. I had an MRI last few weeks they said they found a new lesion with inflmattion on it but they were questioning wheter it was the MS OR NOT. I am only 30 years old I just want to feel better. NO one listens to me. Please help I also wanted to add,i have skin problems,my body looks different shape,I have been tested for lupus and other autoimmune diseases to I would really appreciate some feedback as to where to go from here

Reply Flag this Discussion

23 Replies:

• Hi.I just happened to be looking for causes for chronic low grade fever when I came upon this site and read your posting. I almost jumped out of my chair! You have the exact same symptoms that I do, and here's the odd part, including the Multiple Sclerosis! Now I'm starting to wonder if perhaps having MS has something to do with running a constant low grade fever. I go through the VA system for my health care, and none of the doctors there seem to be concerned about my constant fever, but like you I'm sick and tired of feeling sick and tired! I feel like I have a constant minor case of the flu and I don't want to spend the rest of my life living this way. ugh. Anyway...I wish you all the best luck in finding the cause for your low grade fever. If you do ever find out what's causing it, please post it here on this site and I'll do the same. Hopefully we'll get to the bottom of this!Peace and Blessings....Kim
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 2, 2007
    • 04:57 PM
    Flag this Response
  • HI Kim, Thanks for your reply. I am also sick and tired of being sick and tired! Have you been on steriods for the MS? Thats when my low grade fever started after I had my worst attack ever and went on IV steriods last year once again then this fever hit me. LIke a bomb. I am so sick of this the Drs do not seem to care and think I am crazy. Well I am showing fevers @ there office with there stupid thermometers or however you spell it:) I hope we can get to the bottom of this! Let me know how you are doing Peace and blessings Heather
    helpme 1 Replies
    • February 6, 2007
    • 04:18 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Has anyone checked into chronic fatigue syndrome - chronic mono/epsteins barr virus?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 13, 2007
    • 02:56 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Steroids are extremely potent, and mess up your immune system. If you have an autoimmune disorder on top of that, I can see your immune system is completely out of whack. Please consider alternative treatments to Western diagnoses. Naturopathy, Chinese Medicine, and others may offer you real relief. It will take time to address the imbalance brought on by the steroids and autoimmune disorder. But I believe if you find a good alt. practitioner they can offer a lot of help. In Chinese medicine your symptoms sound like what we call Shaoyang syndrome. A disease can get lodged in certain layers or levels. It's complicated, but find an acupuncturist who is a trained herbalist to help.Visit www.acufinder.com for info. Best wishes.DOM
    acuann 3,080 Replies
    • February 13, 2007
    • 03:35 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hello Dom and others, I have not been checked for chronic fatigue syndrome,but they say I have fibromyalgia but from what I have read fibro does not cause a low grade fever. Dom, I would love to go to an alt Dr but,funds are not helping that any. Its to expensive and I live on a very limited budget. I have been check for EBV as well. Lots and lots of tests with all these Drs and none of them seem to care. My life seems at times not worth it to live anymore. I am sick of being sick and I don't know where to go from here. I am sick to death of Drs. Thanks for the input I appreciate your help any other ideas,anyone. Thanks Heather
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 13, 2007
    • 07:08 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Tick borne infections can cause low grade fevers (bartonella, babesia, borrelia)Lots of people are misdiagnosed with MS, Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue when they have a bacterial infection. The tests for these diseases and the are poor. This is why the CDC states that the diagnosis is based on clincal symptoms not blood tests.I know many people who were diagnosed with MS and then went on to get a bacterial infection diagnosis and were treated with antibiotics and were finally cured. But you need to see a knowledgeable doctor. To find one got to www.canlyme.com or www.lymenet.org. While you are at these sites, check out the list of symptoms and you may be surprised to find you have other symptoms that match.Something extremely important to know is that the steriods used for MS make these diseases worse.I hope this message does not get censored as it seems that what I have been posting about tick borne diseases are not getting posted....shouldn't people be allowed to investigate all possible causes of their poor health?Tick borne infections are the fastest growing infectious disease in North America and they now oupace AIDS.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 13, 2007
    • 08:03 PM
    Flag this Response
  • It makes sense to me that, depending on where the MS lesions are on the brain, that it could affect the temperature regulation system of the body. Perhaps it's normal to have a low-grade fever.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 13, 2007
    • 09:47 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hello All,I would really appreciate someones input I have been suffering almost 2 years now with an illness of unknown origin,I have been tested for everything. HIV,HEP ABC,Sexually transmitted infections,lyme,cmv,heart,etc. My blood count is off I have high lympocyte high white blood cells,low netrophils been to mayo clinic in MINN,Drs there don't care or want to care. I have no appetite,my hair is falling out,dizziness,I don't look or feel like the same person. I am on the end of my rope. I have MS on top of this all I had a severe attack left me partially paralyzed put on steriods iv solumedrol and then this stuff with the low grade fever hit me. Chills,body aches,you name it I have it,fast heart,slow heart. I just want to know what is wrong. I had an MRI last few weeks they said they found a new lesion with inflmattion on it but they were questioning wheter it was the MS OR NOT. I am only 30 years old I just want to feel better. NO one listens to me. Please help I also wanted to add,i have skin problems,my body looks different shape,I have been tested for lupus and other autoimmune diseases to I would really appreciate some feedback as to where to go from hereGet checked for Sarcoidosis
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Hello, I was online searching for MS associated with low grade fevers and came across your postings. Like you guys I am tired of being sick and tired also. Although sometimes I feel blessed that things can always be worse. I was diagnosed after my first child was a year old. That was almost 8 years ago. After my son was born, he is now 5, I started Copaxone. As the kids get older I find it harder to pace myself which leads to exhaustion at times and these on and off fevers for weeks on end. I don't have them all day, mainly toward the middle of the day to evening, when I start to run out of steam. My medical doctor said it could be the injections, which I can't see, because I take a shot everyday, I will go for weeks with a low grade but not always. The MS center I go to said my body must be fighting something, an infection or virus. I heard somewhere that exhaustion can cause fevers also. I am puzzled myself and just thought I would share. I have these time periods where I just feel like crap for weeks with no energy and looks like it will be like this forever and then I do get better and I will have days, but I just take it easy and pace myself and I do great for weeks, but then I have these weeks where nothing helps. Oh well. Hope you all find relief and what your looking for. If you hear of anything this could be related to, or someting I am doing, please post. thanks :) Elsdez22
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 25, 2007
    • 03:03 AM
    Flag this Response
  • What people do not understand about Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, what a crappy name, should REALLY be called Myalgic Encephamyeolitis as it is in the UK, is that it is a cycle of events. Symptoms are similar to MS sometimes and even leukemia! Just because you have a diagnosis, does not mean it should end there. Yes, the diagnosis in the United States for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome is based on clinical symptoms. BUT: Dr.'s must look for the underlying infections and/of causes because there is more than one! I have heard MS mistaken for other things and misdiagnosed often. I believe "MS" is only part of the problem with your diagnosis. Why are lesions IN the brain? DUH, they don't know?Here is something that explains exactly how Chronic Fatigue Syndrome manifests and causes temperature deregulation (ie. via the hypothalamus, pituitary and then the thyroid). It is all a vicious circle. Not maintaining proper body temperature interferes with enzyme processes in the body screwing the body up on top of having immune dysfuction, infections with bacterias, mycoplasmas and viruses. It takes a lot of testing to find out what is wrong.Please look at this schematic on the cycles of CFS/ME:http://www.immunesupport.com/library/images/7856_chartLarge.gif.Cut and paste into your browser.Not all lesions in the brain are due to MS and it takes a skilled Dr. to figure out the difference. I have the same symptoms as everyone on this thread and more.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 26, 2007
    • 00:45 PM
    Flag this Response
  • How are your teeth? Do you have periodontal disease? Gum infecton can cause low-grade fever, and people with autoimmune problems are sometimes prone to dental ones as well, although I don't know much about this and the relationship to MS.
    aquila 1,263 Replies
    • September 26, 2007
    • 05:41 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• Hi my name is Eve. I was reading about some of the symptoms you were having and it is very similar to what is going on with me for the last year or more. I have been tested for everything under the sun too. I have low grade fever all the time, and an elevated white blood count, skin problems, dizziness, headaches, ulcers on my tongue, constant yeast infections in my mouth, fatigue, etc. I have had biopsies on the ulcers which came out fine and even was tested for 2 types of leukiemia which also came out fine. The hemetologist told me that it was because I smoke but I had been quit for 3 weeks and he said it takes several months to completely get out of your system but that he had seen several women with the same symptoms and it was because they smoked. I don't know if I believe that or not so if anyone else has any suggestions please post them here. Thanks.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 6, 2008
    • 03:52 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi my name is Eve. I was reading about some of the symptoms you were having and it is very similar to what is going on with me for the last year or more. I have been tested for everything under the sun too. I have low grade fever all the time, and an elevated white blood count, skin problems, dizziness, headaches, ulcers on my tongue, constant yeast infections in my mouth, fatigue, etc. I have had biopsies on the ulcers which came out fine and even was tested for 2 types of leukiemia which also came out fine. The hemetologist told me that it was because I smoke but I had been quit for 3 weeks and he said it takes several months to completely get out of your system but that he had seen several women with the same symptoms and it was because they smoked. I don't know if I believe that or not so if anyone else has any suggestions please post them here. Thanks. You sound like you have candida overload and would benefit from a cleanse. Googld candida cleanse and get some info on the various herbal cleanses that are out there...or visit a naturopath or Doctor of Oriental Medicine to help you get back in balance. Also since you were a smoker you need to increase your vitamin and minerals - vitamin C especially is leached from the body by cigarette smoking. Best wishesDOM
    acuann 3,080 Replies
    • January 7, 2008
    • 04:29 PM
    Flag this Response
  • hello! guys.. i'm anjo from philippines its been 3 months since i notice this chronic low grade fever of mine! every 6:00 pm i felt i'm kinda hot but i dont have a fever when i check my tempt in the termometer. pls email me if you know somethingyou can email me here. winter_x87@yahoo.com
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 11, 2009
    • 10:24 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hello, for the girl feeling low grade temps each evening. My Mom had the same and after many tests for infections including teeth they discovered she had Clostridium difficile (C.diff) AND intestinal parasites (WORMS) :eek:For others on this form who are suffering :( FYI some parasites can infect our brains as well creating many symptoms of unknown origin. Keep researching, keep looking, don't give up. Consider your enviorment for hidden mold, dust mites, your favorite(possibly cracked) ceramic coffee cup........Are you a veteran or traveler who has gone to a different country? If your Doctor is telling you it's "just getting older" or that "it's in your head" find one who is willing to consider anything. Good luck to you..
    drgranny 2 Replies
    • February 13, 2009
    • 08:04 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I had low grade fevers for 2 years! And every doctor that I been to ran CT scans, MRI's but they never ran a ultrasound on me. My fiancee told them numerous times to do a ultrasound, I changed 5 doctors within 2 years. Now, I'm going to a breast doctor she did a half behind breast exam and now I a lump on my rib under my breast! And my face, mouth are numb when the pain starts. I have lesions on my breast the doctor put a wrap on them but the fluid was building up and I had more lesions starting to form. I'm sick and tried of the wrong diagnosis! Can you help me with a DECENT physician!
  • It could be thyroid gland problems.. get well soon
  • Hello to all who have written in this post...I just came across this information after yet more extensive searching to get to the bottom of my own health issues. I have had a low grade temp also on and off ie: first episoed I was aware of lasted 9 months and the second one is still in progress 5 months so far.I was diagnosed with CFS/Fibro 8 years ago, I a am 47 yo woman with SEVERE pain on prescription medication etc. I have had low body temp, thyroid issues, hepatitis A, glandular fever, dengue fever blah blah. Started to get sore throats led to sinus infection let to chest infection led to asthma led to antibiotics x too many times and steroids also.My background is a Midwife and I got fed up with the whole western med thing. I started doing a Degree in Nutritional Medicine part time 3.5 years ago and during that time I have learned a lot about how my body got sick.I believe one of the main issues for many of us is candida overload as mentioned previously which is complicated by leaky gut, leading to intestinal dysbiosis, nutritional deficiencies, problems with the lining of our intestines and its ability to work properly and many other things. This leads to toxins released by the candida called acetaldehyde and tartaric acid which seem to be the main two that cause extensive problems. Both appear to cause muscle pain, tartaric acid interferes with our enrgy cycle (Krebs cycle) and stope us making our energy properly.For sure to begin a careful very strict anticandida diet is a starting point, to go full on with anticandida killing herbs etc is very difficult if one is very unwell like some of us are and too much for our systems to cope with in one go...it is a very long process to get the gut back into balance but one that is worthwhile for sure...I am in my 8th month of this doing things very slowly.Malic Acid has been shown to be effective in countering the effects of tartaric acid and re-instating the krebs cycle and molybdenum helps the body get rid of excess acetaldehyde. These things should be used under the supervision of a Naturopath. Also GABA Gamma Amino Butyric Acid, can help one feel calmer as it acts like a natural valuim/diazepam muscle relaxant and can help with pain in some individuals...I found it just helps me cope with the pain better.Ummm...I am in Australia but this web site has some excellent information in regard to some of the above I have mentioned. http://www.custommedicine.com.au/ I have also been using a protocol from the USA www.supernutrient.com. Here are some other links and one can search beyond these as required http://www.mall-net.com/*****r/moly.htmlhttp://candidapage.com/aldehyde.shtml this also has interesting info http://www.greatplainslaboratory.com/russian/immune.html For those with MS...my recent readings have also shown links to yeast and MS, yeast thrives on over use of antibiotics, steroids including the oral contraceptive pill, mercury fillings, long term use of some antacid medications etc.I hope this helps some of you gain some insight...I still have a long way to go myself but I will never give up looking for an answer. In regard to the low grade temperature. In chinese medicine it relates to trapped heat inside the body. I have also been using chinese medicine/acupuncture etc for 4 years and have a good understanding of why I feel the way I do and why it changes with the weather etc. Knowledge brings freedom and i hope we can all be free of our pain and live happy fullfilling lives.Sending anyone who reads this healing white light and blessings.P. :o
    nevergiveup 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • Hello to all who have written in this post...For those with MS...my recent readings have also shown links to yeast and MS, yeast thrives on over use of antibiotics, steroids including the oral contraceptive pill, mercury fillings, long term use of some antacid medications etc.P. :othis is the second time i have happened upon this thread, but i saw the posts were old and decided not to reply. But it sure would be nice if the original poster would come back with an update!i too was diagnosed with MS in 2002 (lesions on brain and cervical spine) and have been suffering from chills and low grade fever on and off for the past several months. this is aside from being ill in march with what they thought was pneumonia and also had strep throat back in November. in 2007 i had strep throat 7 times. (that was a bad year!) but let me also add, my immune system was bad then because i was at my thinnest (i also have suffered from anorexia on and off for 20 years). i had a heart attack last year as i was recovering (had just gained back 15 pounds) from my latest bout with anorexia.the reason i am replying is because of the poster above who mentioned the yeast/fillings etc. i think all that is a crock...i cannot remember my last yeast infection and i dont even think i have ever even had one. i dont have a single filling in my mouth as i am a 38 year old woman with NO cavities because i brushed my teeth 3 times a day as a child. and even tho i have this dx, i have never had the need for any steroids ....i dont do the antacid thing and have never taken a birth control pill in my life. people are always looking to find a reason which i totally understand as i did my research after i got sick and read all about the amalgam filling thing too, but i still say its a crock.
  • Dear Unregistered User,My comments are based on sound clinical work done by many qualified professionsals including people who has studied Nutrition and Orthomolecula Medicine and Pharmacology. This information is written up in many textbooks and journals. I am not suggesting this is the norm for everyone...my comments are made for those who may happen upon this post and gain some insight...it is not a crock.Dr Brice Vickery of Supernutrient has over 40 years clinical experience with the issues I discuss above that includes his own extensive scientific research. If one has studied Nutritional Biochemistry which I have...one learns how these things block metabolic pathways, block cell receptor sites, interfere with gastro-intestinal permeability which affects nutrient transport across the microscopic gut lumen as one example. How some of these substances can mimic and replace enzymes and other substrates which changes and stops them from responding in the right way on a physiological/biochemical level. I could go on and on becasue I am edcuated in this field and understand our biology, physiology, disease processes, nutrition, biochemistry etc...NO MY INFORMATION IS NOT A CROCK...it simply does not apply to your situation.Wishing you well.Nevergiveup.
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement