Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

ear pain and constant headache

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 0 Replies
  • Posted By: karmaronin
  • January 12, 2011
  • 07:07 AM

It started about 2 months ago and presented with ear pain and throat pain. It was the left ear only and my throat hurt in one very specific spot - on the left side, just above the voice box. Antibiotics did nothing but steroids seemed to help. The throat pain eventually went away but then the headaches started. The original headaches were so bad that I almost went to the ER. Since then, they've calmed down. I've now had an almost constant dull headache for about 6 weeks. It gets worse when I move my head more than just a little. I've found it best not to change the angle of my head much. The ear pain came back after being off the steroids for a while and is in both ears, but only one ear at a time. It comes and goes throughout the day and is just in the ear canal. The ears aren't clogged and I can hear fine.

The ENT is completely stumped. My ears are clear. My throat is clear. I've had a CT scan of my head and neck and they came back clear. My blood work is perfectly normal (yes, even my thyroid). I don't sleep well, but I've never slept well, so I don't count that as a symptom. The ENT sent me for a sleep study to rule out Sleep Apnea, but I'm 99% sure I don't have it.

Because it shows up in both ears, the ENT says it's probably not neurological, but he doesn't know where else to go. I'm on a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory now, but I still have the ear pain. I've had it too long to be viral (so I'm told).

So now I'm just coping... trying not to move around much to keep the headaches in check. Any suggestions? I've stumped everyone I have talked to.

Reply Flag this Discussion
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement