Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

eye irritation,dry mouth,scalp hair loss,very sparse eyelashes

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 6 Replies
  • Posted By: beano52
  • December 18, 2010
  • 08:38 AM

please can someone tell me what to use or in fact what is causing my symptoms so i can wear make up again? i am suffering the above symptoms and all i get from my doctor is `dry eye ` ointment which doesnt do anything at all!(have used this obediently for two years now)
i suffer hypothyroidism, arthritis, dry skin, copd and colitis but if i could just use some makeup for xmas-i`d feel great! my eyes are soooo sensitive-even with out makeup, i go around with streaming eyes,pain in eyes, and the slightest bit of wind and i just plain cant see! there is also more than `normal` -sleep along my eye rims mornings and the eye lids are a little swollen with the actual `whites` of my eyes-a yellowy colour. i am getting desperate for a correct diagnosis-so am putting all my hopes someone might know please??:confused:

Reply Flag this Discussion

6 Replies:

• You might have blepharitis.
    lbmurphy 1 Replies
    • December 21, 2010
    • 09:06 AM
    Flag this Response
  • please can someone tell me what to use or in fact what is causing my symptoms so i can wear make up again? i am suffering the above symptoms and all i get from my doctor is `dry eye ` ointment which doesnt do anything at all!(have used this obediently for two years now)i suffer hypothyroidism, arthritis, dry skin, copd and colitis but if i could just use some makeup for xmas-i`d feel great! my eyes are soooo sensitive-even with out makeup, i go around with streaming eyes,pain in eyes, and the slightest bit of wind and i just plain cant see! there is also more than `normal` -sleep along my eye rims mornings and the eye lids are a little swollen with the actual `whites` of my eyes-a yellowy colour. i am getting desperate for a correct diagnosis-so am putting all my hopes someone might know please??:confused:Is it just your eyes that are dry? What about your mouth? Do you feel like you produce a normal amount of saliva? Or vaginal secretions? I ask because Sjogren's Syndrome causes very dry eyes and mouth and takes a long time for doctors to diagnose. I'm working under the assumption that the doctors have already ruled out the more common things.
    Candycane 2 Replies
    • December 22, 2010
    • 10:12 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Is it just your eyes that are dry? What about your mouth? Do you feel like you produce a normal amount of saliva? Or vaginal secretions? I ask because Sjogren's Syndrome causes very dry eyes and mouth and takes a long time for doctors to diagnose. I'm working under the assumption that the doctors have already ruled out the more common things. hi and a reply i wrote didnt get printeed for some reason. yes i have very, very dry mouth and sore,tender tongue, also have a blister on the inside of my bottom lip which never disappears but a layer of the skin peels away every other day.have been going constantly about these two problems for at least eighteen months now and all i get are the dry eye drops and salivax for my dry mouth. eye lashes almost non existent and if i as much as go near my face with moisturiser, theres an immediate reaction of stinging very watering eyes. mascara even hypoallergenic ones are also impossible
    beano52 2 Replies
    • December 23, 2010
    • 11:07 AM
    Flag this Response
  • hi and a reply i wrote didnt get printeed for some reason. yes i have very, very dry mouth and sore,tender tongue, also have a blister on the inside of my bottom lip which never disappears but a layer of the skin peels away every other day.have been going constantly about these two problems for at least eighteen months now and all i get are the dry eye drops and salivax for my dry mouth. eye lashes almost non existent and if i as much as go near my face with moisturiser, theres an immediate reaction of stinging very watering eyes. mascara even hypoallergenic ones are also impossibleam having more difficulty posting thiks reply as well??
    beano52 2 Replies
    • December 23, 2010
    • 11:11 AM
    Flag this Response
  • It may be Reiter's syndrome. Here is an easy to understand article: http://www.orthop.washington.edu/uw/reiterssyndrome/tabID__3376/ItemID__52/PageID__4/Articles/Default.aspxIt may also be Sjogren's as suggested by another responder. Is your hypothyroidism under control? The dry skin, lack of eyebrow hair is suggesting that it is not. Get your TSH levels checked. There are many other possibilities. Find yourself a doctor who is willing to pursue the problem further. Most importantly, don't give up.You may be simply suffering from dry eye syndrome. If eye drops and topicals are not doing the job, talk to an opthalmologist. There are many other treatments available.
    blueempress 28 Replies
    • December 27, 2010
    • 08:14 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Have you been tested for autoimmine diseases, like Sjogren's syndrome, lupus, mixed connective tiisue disorders, and high cholesterol?
    aquila 1,263 Replies
    • January 6, 2011
    • 07:57 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement