Discussions By Condition: Urinary conditions

sulphur smelling urine

Posted In: Urinary conditions 14 Replies
  • Posted By: aands1200
  • January 20, 2007
  • 00:39 AM

For several months now my urine has has a strong odor similiar to sulphur. Otherwise no other symptoms. It's embarrassing and I don't know what to make of it. Does anyone know what this is from.

Reply Flag this Discussion

14 Replies:

• i have the same problem, the smell is awful!!! i also dont get any UTI symptoms, but i always have one.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 27, 2007
    • 06:06 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Maybe this will be of some help. Recently I went to the Doctor for a sinus infection. He prescribed Amoxicillan. I've been taking it for 6 days now and the foul smell in my urine is almost gone. I hope that takes care of it permanantly!
    aands1200 1 Replies
    • February 11, 2007
    • 03:21 PM
    Flag this Response
  • My urine smells like olives but the doctors don't seem to be concerned so maybe I shouldn't be. :confused: Katelyn
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 15, 2007
    • 04:45 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I had a horrid kidney infection 6 years ago and I remember that when I had it, my urine smelled of sulphur. I don't think what you guys have is an infection b/c I had terrible back pains and was throwing up all the time- I hadn't eaten for 3 weeks, only light soup. The doctor had told me that since then, I may suffer with kidney/bladder problems and every now and again, I get that smell in my urine- which is an indication of infection. The best thing to do (according to the Dr.) is really to get rest and take antibiotics- (Septra is excellent) when it's really bad. I am having the same awful smell problem right now and I'm worried that I may have an infection again- Usually what I do when I feel it coming on is drink a few beers, cranberry juice, coconut water and other very hydrating drinks that are really good at flushing out your system...This usually works when it's in the early stages. Get lots of liquids and ANYTIME you need to pee- DO IT!!! Never hold it in- that's how I got it the first time, and I suffer from it all the time now. The back pains are unbearable- esp. if you have scoliosis like I do and when you get backaches during your periods (for the girls). If I could give advice to anyone for their kidney and bladder health, it would be to never hold in your waste product- they ain't kidding when they say it'll poison you...
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 5, 2007
    • 03:27 AM
    Flag this Response
  • For several months now my urine has has a strong odor similiar to sulphur. Otherwise no other symptoms. It's embarrassing and I don't know what to make of it. Does anyone know what this is from.My urine smelt like sulphur for about 5 months and although i hated it -i thought that it was just a passing thing and i was dehydrated so i didnt do anything about it. I went to the doctors when i started feeling dizzy, like i was going to pass out, my eyes were feeling strained (prob due to dizzyness), i couldnt concentrate on work. I felt totally knackered and dissorientated. My GP did a test and the results showed that i had severe urinry tract infection and this was what was causing all side effects.I had the worst UTI my doctor had ever seen. When they test for UTI they dunk an indicator strip on your urine, if there is sign of infection this strip goes light pink. this Strip was the the brightest pink you've ever seen in your life. the pink indicated sulphites. They put me on antibiotics for 7 days which cleared it all up. If your urine smells like egg go to your GP asap, before you start getting the nasty side effects like i did by leaving it.i went on websites like this-there was so much conflicting info about it so i got confused and stuck my head in the sand. dont make the same mistake i did!! it was horrible!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 29, 2009
    • 10:34 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I can't say this will apply to everyone, but it may clear up some of the confusion for others. I too had sulphur smelling urine which started around the time I was suffereing from a post viral infection. I thought it had something to do with that, but when I recovered the sulphur smell continued. I trawled the forums for answers but in the end decided to go to the doctors. I did a urine test and the section indicating nitrites went a lovely bright pink. Nitrites are an indication of bacteria. It is their waste product and it is this that causes the sulphur smell.The presence of nitrites could be an indication of an infection, although being a male, it was highly unlikely. So the doctor sent the urine sample off to be tested. She also gave me the option of taking a short coures of antibiotics (3 a day for 3 days) whilst the test was being done, which I decided to take. Bingo! Smell stopped.BUT.... the test results came back showing no infection. I consulted another doctor in the same practice who told me that there can be a build up of bacteria in the bladder if one doesn't drink enough water. Also a lack of excercise can be a contributing factor. This would account for the smell starting when I was stuck in bed for weeks with the PVI.So to conclude, bacteria in the bladder produce smelly nitrites. You do not have to have an infection to get this. If your doctor tests your urine but says it's all fine, ask if you can take the antibiotics anyway. I can't promise that this will work for all of you but it definately killed of the non-infection bacteria for me. However, be advised that following the anti-biotics, you must start drinking more water and start excercising.I hope you found this helpful.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 22, 2010
    • 09:45 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Maybe this will be of some help. Recently I went to the Doctor for a sinus infection. He prescribed Amoxicillan. I've been taking it for 6 days now and the foul smell in my urine is almost gone. I hope that takes care of it permanantly!after taking amoxycillin, the smell in my urine is gone too!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • I also have this extremely (would gag a vulcher) foul smelling urine from time to time. The circumstances surrounding my episodes are strange. My wife and I will often get it at the same time even if we haven't eaten the same things recently. When I get it it usually lasts for one or two days. After having an extra marital affair that partner contacted me with questions about you guessed it, foul smelling urine. Everything I have read states that it's probably a UTI and that this is not transmittable through sexual intercourse. Also possibly of interest to note I am a veteran of the 1st gulf war and suffer from other strange symptoms.
  • For several months now my urine has has a strong odor similiar to sulphur. Otherwise no other symptoms. It's embarrassing and I don't know what to make of it. Does anyone know what this is from.same here ////////////
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 26, 2010
    • 03:43 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I also have this extremely (would gag a vulcher) foul smelling urine from time to time. The circumstances surrounding my episodes are strange. My wife and I will often get it at the same time even if we haven't eaten the same things recently. When I get it it usually lasts for one or two days. After having an extra marital affair that partner contacted me with questions about you guessed it, foul smelling urine. Everything I have read states that it's probably a UTI and that this is not transmittable through sexual intercourse. Also possibly of interest to note I am a veteran of the 1st gulf war and suffer from other strange symptoms.Actually, you CAN transmit UTIs through sexual intercourse. If you have bacteria in your penis and stick it in someone's orifice, you can certainly transmit your bacteria to that sexual partner. This is yet another reason why condoms are so important.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 27, 2010
    • 04:33 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I know this is an old thread but I feel compelled to reply in case anyone is still looking for answers. Everyone's medical situation is different but I would be remiss if I did not share this information.Off and on I experienced urine that smelled like sulphur/rotten eggs. This went on for several years. Each time I went to a physician I was tested for kidney infections or bladder infections and the results were always negative. I would be given medication for infection anyway, but the problem always returned. Last year I had severe pain in the middle right of my back which radiated around front to the rib cage, pain in a straight line from the rib cage down to the lower right abdomen and then radiating around to the lower right back.After an x-ray, ultrasound, and ct scan in the emergency room, and an MRI, and biopsy with a renal oncologist, the doctors confirmed late stage kidney cancer. I really believe that if the doctors had looked further than a kidney infection in the earlier years, they may have found the cancer before it got to such advanced stages. I had my kidney removed, had a mass in the inferior vena cava surgically removed, and had several cancerous lymph nodes removed, and the doctors are now watching a small node on my lungs. Since the surgery which is now 17 months ago, I have had no sulphur smell to my urine.Insist on further testing.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 14, 2010
    • 02:05 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• Hello, I have been questioning these same symptoms. i have have a swollen lymph node on the left side under my jaw, below my ear and very sulfury smelling urine. Ive had full blood work done and nothing too weird. Did have a little high white blood count over the last few years, but nothing where my Dr was concerned. Im wondering if I should get a second opinion.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 15, 2010
    • 11:49 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I can't say this will apply to everyone, but it may clear up some of the confusion for others. I too had sulphur smelling urine which started around the time I was suffereing from a post viral infection. I thought it had something to do with that, but when I recovered the sulphur smell continued. I trawled the forums for answers but in the end decided to go to the doctors. I did a urine test and the section indicating nitrites went a lovely bright pink. Nitrites are an indication of bacteria. It is their waste product and it is this that causes the sulphur smell.The presence of nitrites could be an indication of an infection, although being a male, it was highly unlikely. So the doctor sent the urine sample off to be tested. She also gave me the option of taking a short coures of antibiotics (3 a day for 3 days) whilst the test was being done, which I decided to take. Bingo! Smell stopped.BUT.... the test results came back showing no infection. I consulted another doctor in the same practice who told me that there can be a build up of bacteria in the bladder if one doesn't drink enough water. Also a lack of excercise can be a contributing factor. This would account for the smell starting when I was stuck in bed for weeks with the PVI.So to conclude, bacteria in the bladder produce smelly nitrites. You do not have to have an infection to get this. If your doctor tests your urine but says it's all fine, ask if you can take the antibiotics anyway. I can't promise that this will work for all of you but it definately killed of the non-infection bacteria for me. However, be advised that following the anti-biotics, you must start drinking more water and start excercising.I hope you found this helpful.I've had a history of UTI's but never had the sulfur smelling urine until recently. It would come and go but started to become a daily problem. I was fairly certain that it was not a UTI because of my history with them. The burning was the only related symptom. There were non of the others I always had, frequency & bladder irritation. I looked all over the internet to see if I could find anything that would help me understand and eliminate this awful smelly problem. I found very little helpful information. In fact most references to sulfur smelling urine said something about asparagus, which I rarely eat. In the forums I at least found I wasn't alone. Nothing really explained the cause but I came to the conclusion after trolling through everything I could find that possibly my PH or something was out of whack. I didn't have a good diet and wasn't taking any supplements. A friend recommended I try taking a Super B Complex (to improve my energy/metabolism). Surprisingly, after a couple of days, my smelly, burning problems started to improve. Since I wasn't accustomed to this daily ritual, I skipped taking them for a day or two and the symptoms returned. Since then, I made it part of my morning routine. It hasn't been long (only a couple of weeks) but my symptoms are gone. I'm quite well with the slight vitamin smell, with no burning or cloudiness. I think I should note that the Super B complex I'm taking includes folic acid and debittered brewers yeast (100mg). not all of the ones I looked at had those included. After my symptoms went away I did a little more digging on the internet to see if either of those ingredients could be the reason. Only one site made reference to a homeopathic benefit of debittered brewers yeast that mentioned sulfur, http://supplementinformationlibrary.com/9846.html. There were multiple listings for SULPHUR - ACCOMPANYING SIGNS but only one including any reference to urinary related issue. "Redness of orifices: ........ urinary meatus,...." In any case, the vitamin supplements seem to be doing the trick for me. I'd rather take this route instead of taking antibiotics as long as it keeps working. Hopefully, this approach will help others who are dealing with this annoying problem too.
  • Hello, I have been questioning these same symptoms. i have have a swollen lymph node on the left side under my jaw, below my ear and very sulfury smelling urine. Ive had full blood work done and nothing too weird. Did have a little high white blood count over the last few years, but nothing where my Dr was concerned. Im wondering if I should get a second opinion.Yes, please get a second opinion. I wrote post number 12 regarding the late stage kidney cancer being found. My disease was not detectable by blood test except the white blood cell count was not what it should be-- and that can be cause by many different things.Just to give you an update, that small node on my lung and has now grown enough that it must be removed as a precautionary measure. The doctors will know if it is cancer after the surgery.
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement