Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Intense ear ache while sleeping

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 3 Replies
  • Posted By: dee1402
  • December 15, 2010
  • 10:26 PM

Some nights I wake up with a really bad, sharp pain in my ear, always on the side I'm lying on. It's been suggested to me that I am bending the pinna while I sleep but that’s definitely not it as I often wake up with my hand under my head so I can feel that it's not bent. The pain is in the ear canal and if I move my head the pain stabs terribly. I have to very slowly roll over and the pain dissipates over time. I've never had an actual ear infection. I had all four wisdom teeth removed and I've had internal work done on my nasal cartilage (sinus infection once or twice a year) and I've had my tongue pierced for four years (no lumps or callouses).

Thank you.

Reply Flag this Discussion

3 Replies:

• I get this every night too - i find it's better if i don't sleep on a pillow. Ive had earaches all my life tho, my eardrum burst when i was a kid. can't remember the last time i've had my ears checked tho so am curious to hear what others say...
    somewhere 1 Replies
    • December 17, 2010
    • 08:47 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I have also had intense pain in my ears depending on which one I am laying on, my pain is not stabbing, more like an intense ache, not only inside but around the outside of the ear as well, I have to use a tempurpedic pillow all the time and only very rarely do I have this problem now, would love to know what it is.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • I also suffer from this would love to know what it is. I now also get the same intense pain when I am chewing :(
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement