Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Intense ear ache while sleeping

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 3 Replies
  • Posted By: dee1402
  • December 15, 2010
  • 10:26 PM

Some nights I wake up with a really bad, sharp pain in my ear, always on the side I'm lying on. It's been suggested to me that I am bending the pinna while I sleep but that’s definitely not it as I often wake up with my hand under my head so I can feel that it's not bent. The pain is in the ear canal and if I move my head the pain stabs terribly. I have to very slowly roll over and the pain dissipates over time. I've never had an actual ear infection. I had all four wisdom teeth removed and I've had internal work done on my nasal cartilage (sinus infection once or twice a year) and I've had my tongue pierced for four years (no lumps or callouses).

Thank you.

Reply Flag this Discussion

3 Replies:

• I get this every night too - i find it's better if i don't sleep on a pillow. Ive had earaches all my life tho, my eardrum burst when i was a kid. can't remember the last time i've had my ears checked tho so am curious to hear what others say...
    somewhere 1 Replies
    • December 17, 2010
    • 08:47 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I have also had intense pain in my ears depending on which one I am laying on, my pain is not stabbing, more like an intense ache, not only inside but around the outside of the ear as well, I have to use a tempurpedic pillow all the time and only very rarely do I have this problem now, would love to know what it is.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • I also suffer from this would love to know what it is. I now also get the same intense pain when I am chewing :(
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement