Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Random swelling of body parts

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 6 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • December 8, 2010
  • 09:10 PM

Hello all! I'm trying to see if other people have found a diagnosis for a similar problem. I am a 20 year old male. About a year ago I was diagnosed with a pneumothorax and the doctor recommended getting an operation. I got the operation and after that I was given vicodine to relieve the pain. As soon as I took it I lost my stregths to the point where I couldnt hold a spoon by myself. After that came the lip swelling. The same day I was released from the hospital was the same day I swell and was rushed to the ER. They gave me benedryl and my doctor switch my pain medication. Ever since then I have been swelling up at random times. I cannot pin point what causes the swelling. It starts with itching and as soon as I itch it it will swell up. At first it was only my lower lip but now my ankle has been swelling my hands and arms. Sometimes my upper lip will swell and my arm and sometimes just my arm. I am currently going to an allergist and have done blood work. I am going in today for the 3rd blood work done, I am hoping that they have an aswer for me. One of the test came back that i was allergic to dust mites. I have washed my bedding more often and kept my room cleaner but nothing seems to help. I dont know what causes it and I am getting pretty worried and annoyed with the situation. If anybody else has experience the same thing please share your experience and if you found a solution PLEASE share. Also what kinds of test you have gotten and which ones I should ask my allergist to test me for. I am so desperate that I am thinking of flying out of the country to search for alternative methods. I cannot keep having this issue because I miss school and work more than I should.

Reply Flag this Discussion

6 Replies:

• you may have dermographism and acute uticaria
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 4, 2011
    • 11:55 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hello all! I'm trying to see if other people have found a diagnosis for a similar problem. I am a 20 year old male. About a year ago I was diagnosed with a pneumothorax and the doctor recommended getting an operation. I got the operation and after that I was given vicodine to relieve the pain. As soon as I took it I lost my stregths to the point where I couldnt hold a spoon by myself. After that came the lip swelling. The same day I was released from the hospital was the same day I swell and was rushed to the ER. They gave me benedryl and my doctor switch my pain medication. Ever since then I have been swelling up at random times. I cannot pin point what causes the swelling. It starts with itching and as soon as I itch it it will swell up. At first it was only my lower lip but now my ankle has been swelling my hands and arms. Sometimes my upper lip will swell and my arm and sometimes just my arm. I am currently going to an allergist and have done blood work. I am going in today for the 3rd blood work done, I am hoping that they have an aswer for me. One of the test came back that i was allergic to dust mites. I have washed my bedding more often and kept my room cleaner but nothing seems to help. I dont know what causes it and I am getting pretty worried and annoyed with the situation. If anybody else has experience the same thing please share your experience and if you found a solution PLEASE share. Also what kinds of test you have gotten and which ones I should ask my allergist to test me for. I am so desperate that I am thinking of flying out of the country to search for alternative methods. I cannot keep having this issue because I miss school and work more than I should.I am a 51 year old male and i am having similar symptoms, scheduled to go to the allergist on the third of February just as frustrated. this has been happening for the last year please notify of results or diagnosis upon receiving from your allergist. my swelling has occurred on the bottom of my feet, as well as my hands, lips, butt, lymph nodes, fingers, arms, just about everywhere on my body. usually the swelling lasts about 24 to 48 hours and then moves to another location. it would really help to a response from you when you get the results of your tests.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 3, 2011
    • 09:28 PM
    Flag this Response
  • you may have dermographism and acute uticariahttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_CmvfCJBz4watch this, go to nigeria, he will heal u
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Unfortunately, I don't have any answers for you but I wanted to say that I'm going through the same thing. I've been looking for answers for the past 8 years or so. It started around a period when I was taking Advil regularly for back pain. I began experiencing swelling of the lips at first. I went through a battery of environmental type allergy testing, only for the doctor to say, "Oh, it's probably the Advil. Stay away from Ibuprofen and all NSAIDs." I haven't touched any of those since but I've continued to have random swelling of the eyelid, lips, throat, tongue, finger and/or ankles. I noticed for a while, it seemed to occur after I ate anything with pork, so I swore off of that about two years ago. A few months ago, I started having episodes again and underwent another battery of allergy testing, for both environmental factors and food. I found out I'm not allergic to pork or any foods. Still, my problem persists. It usually happens between midnight and 2 a.m. I woke up this morning with a swollen lip. It's so frustrating because these doctors don't know anything, and they shuttle you from one to another without giving you any diagnosis. I now carry Benadryl around with me at all times and have an Epipen. The only thing they've told me is it's angioedema, which means swelling. Duh!
  • Have any of you guys found a proper diagnosis yet? I am going through the same pains described by you guys above such as swelling/pains in my ankle, fingers, lip, and now my inner thigh (really painful to walk). I went to an allergist and am awaiting the results, but she said from a preliminary test that it doesn't seem like it's food allergies. My general doctor prescribed antibiotics to me today, so i'll see where they gets me. Any helpful feedback will be greatly appreciated! 23-male
  • Have any of you guys found a proper diagnosis yet? I am going through the same pains described by you guys above such as swelling/pains in my ankle, fingers, lip, and now my inner thigh (really painful to walk). I went to an allergist and am awaiting the results, but she said from a preliminary test that it doesn't seem like it's food allergies. My general doctor prescribed antibiotics to me today, so i'll see where they gets me. Any helpful feedback will be greatly appreciated! 23-maleMy 18 year old son has suffered with the same symptoms you guys have described for the past three years. He has also went to an allergist and told he has allergies to grass and dust mites. He has random swelling in his lips, arms, legs, feet, butt, knees, hands, arms and even his testicles. When his symptoms started, he was attending a high school that was getting ready to close, so they were taking down pictures and trophies and things like that. We thought all the dust was his problem but for the past two years he has been in a brand new school and still has the same problems. Five days ago I had to rush him to the ER because his swelling was so bad. He was actually swelling right before my eyes. He was given a dose of benedryl by IV and told to follow up with his allergist. It seems like as long as he is taking steroids he has fewer out breaks. Any information that you can give me would be greatly appreciated!!!!! WORRIED MOM
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement